[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7- EdQuAxAII Why don�

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 47
Thread images: 4

File: henery enfield.jpg (35KB, 700x525px) Image search: [Google]
henery enfield.jpg
35KB, 700x525px
>https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7-EdQuAxAII

Why don't people build commercial rifles based on the enfield action?
>>
>>32289638
>German X bolt > Enfield bolt
>>
>>32289638
>that video

Rifle 'speed' is mostly based on the users familiarity with the rifle. I'm not going to some retard ramble for 10 minutes about his bias opinion.
>>
>>32289638
>>32289652
To be more specific, the Mauser action is a lot more robust, which means less work making rifles in a wide variety of calibers because of lower R&D and machining costs, which means cheaper rifles.

At least, that's how I've alsways seen it.
>>
>>32289638
Not enough profit margin.
Last manufacturer stopped making them about ten years ago but could probably do it if you had enough money.
>>
File: BSArifles.jpg (124KB, 1000x597px) Image search: [Google]
BSArifles.jpg
124KB, 1000x597px
They did. But competing against Continental and American arms makers was just not economical.

There's that Australian company that still does it, but they can only afford to because of their fucked up domestic market and the fact that half the parts are made in Vietnam.
>>
File: canadian_snipers.jpg (166KB, 900x641px) Image search: [Google]
canadian_snipers.jpg
166KB, 900x641px
>>32289638
Because the Mauser action is a bit better suited to accuracy and durability for a given production cost, and most modern bolt-action shooters don't really care about most of the Enfield's benefits. The Enfield action is an utterly brilliant design, but the day of its relevance is long past.

To roughly recite a quote that I believe is attributed to Winston Churchill regarding WWI:
"The Germans brought a hunting rifle, the Americans brought a target rifle, and the British brought a battle rifle."

Thing is, there isn't much of a market for bolt-action "battle rifles" anymore. That said, I wouldn't trade my old No.4 for anything. I would trust that old girl to Hell and back, for it would not be her first trip there.
>>
>>32289669
He's pretty spot-on, though. Training probably makes up the majority of "speed" with a bolt-action, but the Enfield is still about as well-optimized for speed and ergonomics as any military rifle is going to get.

The only bolt actions that might be able to top the Enfield are the lateral toggle lock (limited to low-pressure rounds) and the Blaser's straight pull (which is much more complex and expensive).
>>
>>32289638
>Wanting a meme gun
Kek.
>>
>>32290003
>gun was used in 2 world wars and countless smaller conflicts on every continent in the world
>a meme gun
>>
>>32290017
>Wanting to own literally Advice Dog: THE GUN
Memegun.
>>
>>32289638
Fuck that guy

He's a hasguns Lindy.

Ask him what he thinks about civilian ownership of semi-auto rifles.
>>
>>32290017
..... you just described literally every gun ever.
>>
>>32289638
>Henry Enfield

That's a a Martini-Enfield you mong

"Henry" refers to the guy who patented the earlier rifling's geometry.
>>
>>32290047
He owns an m1 garand
>>
>>32289864
Please elaborate. What does this action do others cannot? Why is it "brilliant"?

Why is the 1903 a target rifle (Or m1? Despite not being scope compatible)

Why is a German K98(k?) a hunting rifle
>>
>>32290096
Not that anon but the mauser action is extremely strong and reliable; making it able to take hand loads and a variety of pressures. Perfect for the fudd who wants to make his 'kustom huntin rounds'
>>
>>32290096
>what does this action do that others cannot?
Be cycled marginally faster due to the cock-on-open instead of cock-on-close. And there are other cock-on-open designs, so it's not unique.
>why is the 1903 a target rifle when compared with other rifles from WW1/WW2?
It was bigger, heavier, longer, and had generally much better iron sights. The US put a very specific importance on accurate rifle fire from an individual rifleman in their doctrine (and then totally failed to train for it with their massed draftees).
>why is a German K98 a hunting rifle?
Because before the Mauser was a military arm, and while the Mauser was a military arm, the Mauser was first and foremost a civilian sporting arm. Moreover Mauser-pattern rifles were produced domestically in a shitload of countries by the time WW2 rolled around, and when referring specifically to the model 98 there were more produced specifically as sporting rifles than there were military arms. 4 companies *still* produce the '98 mauser as a civilian hunting rifle, including Mauser Werke themselves.
>>
>>32290219
>Be cycled marginally faster due to the cock-on-open instead of cock-on-close. And there are other cock-on-open designs, so it's not unique.
That was a part of it, but it was also that it was rear-locking (shorter bolt travel), had a 60-degree bolt turn instead of 90, and generally just had very good ergonomics.
Basically, watch OP's video. BotR might sound like Lindybeige, but he actually knows his shit for the most part.
>>
>>32290062
No.
It's more commonly called a Platypus.
Martini-Enfield refers to a specific model of Martini.
>>
>>32290272
again, not that anon but you should probably do some research.
>>
>>32290342
A SMLE barrel on the Martini action is not something ever done by the military.
It was a common conversion in Australia as the barrels of MkII and III MH were shot out.
>>
>>32290364
sigh. It's over OP.
>>
>>32290364
... so a new barrel on the same action makes a different gun? wait til i tell ak ar ptr and every other firearm owner!
>>
>>32290393
The Enfield-Martini with a new barrel became the Martini-Henry MkIV.
The Martini-Metford with a new barrel becomes the Martini-Enfield MK1
A Lee-Metford with new barrel is a Lee-Enfield.
Try to keep up with how the Brits did things.
>>
>>32290423
threads over op, close this tab and go away.
>>
>>32290423
>The Enfield-Martini with a new barrel became the Martini-Henry MkIV.
I think you mean the enfield-martini was just a project that was cancelled (Trialing .402 calibre), it was cancelled and the Mk.IV was made
>>
>>32290073
>Muh history
>>
File: After2.jpg (2MB, 3629x2420px) Image search: [Google]
After2.jpg
2MB, 3629x2420px
>>32290393
Thats how all of Gyrope does things. A demilled rifle there is one with the firing pin clipped and the barrel chamber milled out with a few extra holes added in.
>>
>>32290711
Over 50 thousand were made and issued before being recalled and converted to MkIVs.
>>
>>32290766
Yes because they were cancelled
>>
>>32289638

That fucking martini, holy shit I need it.

>>32290062
>>32290364
>>32290393

You're all wrong, if you reverse image search it it's a fucking Kyber pass frankengun made by dirt farmers who wouldn't know what "enfield" or "henry" rifling was if you beat it into them.
>>
>>32290778
They were issued as a standard rifle and recalled. It is not the same as cancelling a trial.
>>
>>32290766
>>32290778
And only 20,000 were manufactured in .402 ever not 50,000
>>
>>32290048
>..... you just described literally every gun ever.
>gun was used in 2 world wars and countless smaller conflicts on every continent in the world
>gun was used in 2 world wars

Huh. Don't remember seeing any A1's in the European Theater. But surely they had SCARs.

Dumbass.
>>
>>32290787
"In October 1885 questions regarding the potential nightmarish logistical problems of supply began to be asked, the new arm was .402” calibre, when over 800,000 MkII and MkIII rifles & IC1 carbines still chambered the .577/450” round were in service, the Gardener Gatling round was not interchangeable and the pending decision to fully adopt the .303” calibre created a logistics nightmare, a year and a half later, the Enfield Martini project was suspended and cancelled."
>>
>>32290804
holy shit you are splitting hairs... Not that anon but thinking the enfield was the only rifle used in both world wars and is still in use is fucking retarded.

Dumbass.
>>
>>32290789
Numbers I have seen were 64 thousand.
The A and B pattern MkIVs were alll converted with only the relatively scarce pattern C being made from new parts in .450
>>
>>32290831
He said
>you just described literally every gun ever
In reference to weapons used it both world wars.

I'm sorry, but I haven't heard of an AR platform rifles being used in Stalingrad or the Battle of the Bulge

I'm not even considering the Enfield in this matter, I'm just saying it's retarded saying "literally every gun ever" was used in both world wars.
>>
>>32290887
so you have never herd of the mosin or mauser.
I get that you were being extremely specific about the first and second world war, but the example you used, ar rifle; has been extensively used in many conflicts and wars across the world too.
You're contradicting yourself and it's weird how you don't see this.
>>
>>32290928
Did you not see who >>32290048
was replying to?

Literally every gun ever means literally every gun ever. When he says that, it is impossible that literally every gun ever has fought in two world wars. Some gun designs were made after 1945. C'mon anon.
>>
>>32290967
Anon please stop being so dense.

barring the word 'world' in conjunction with 'wars' thats every military firearm ever.
>>
>>32291000
Hey, trips.
I'll leave you alone now.
>>
>>32291029
I'm just bored anon; this thread was over after the first response.
>>
>>32291000
your and idiot
>>
>>32289638
> Why don't people build commercial rifles based on the enfield action?
because Mausers system is stronger
and 99% of the new production bolt action rifles use a scope anyway
>>
>>32291421
>"Your" an idiot

You're in the same boat it seems kiddo.
Thread posts: 47
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.