[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Military Enlistment General /meg/ Haram Edition Previous th

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 337
Thread images: 25

File: 1472137291111.png (16KB, 650x650px) Image search: [Google]
1472137291111.png
16KB, 650x650px
Military Enlistment General /meg/
Haram Edition

Previous thread
>>32244756

>Discord
https://discord.gg/0y3eBT2ji4rHI4TM
>IRC Channel
>implying anyone uses IRC
#MEG on Freenode
If you're on mobile look up AndroIRC for the app. Any questions, ask in the thread to get you set up.

Resources:

>Armyranger.com
For Ranger info, obviously.

>http://www.sealswcc.com/
SEAL/SWCC site with videos and fitness plans and a forum

>Shadowspear.com
All around SOF website. Great info and run by former/active members of every SOF unit. Mentor program. Also has forums for international SOF.

>Professionalsoldiers.com
For all Army SF info.

>http://www.corpsman.com
For Navy Corpsman info.

>http://www.leatherneck.com/forums/showthread.php?115180-MARSOC-Force-Recon
This is an all-inclusive thread for MARSOC/Force Recon stuff. Good site for Marines info too.

>http://www.uscg.org
For Coast Guard info. Good site, lots of vets able to answer questions.

>www.defencejobs.gov.au/
For info on the Australian Defense Force, and how you can shitpost on the world stage.

>https://www.airwarriors.com/community/
Naval Aviator forum with info on Navy OCS as well

OP template
http://pastebin.com/sb5Gv1dW

Before you ask a question, check the FAQ
http://pastebin.com/Rx0nDuga

Which branch are you enlisting/enlisted/considering?
http://strawpoll.me/6764857
>>
What's it like to work in a sub, generally speaking?
>>
File: 13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg (822KB, 1330x800px) Image search: [Google]
13902532207_da93f7752b_o.jpg
822KB, 1330x800px
If you aint infantry you aint shit.
>>
>>32268346
This. FUCK pogs
>>
Is 74D a good choice for someone who is interested in Chemistry or will I end up cleaning masks and raking gravel?
>>
>>32268425
Don't do it, you will not be doing your job. If you just want a GI bill pick a job you'll like then go out and study chemistry
>>
>>32268346
>>32268411
Id call you boots but I think you're just trolling civilians. Shut the fuck up. It's not funny. Idiot civilians like you is why fags give Infantry and prior Infantry shit here.

I won't reply if you reply to me because you're troll idiots, but stfu.
>>
I don't know much about the subject, but what would the requirements be to get a military scholarship and then go in as a Naval Officer?
>>
Is there always someone who steals shit in BCT or is that just a meme?
>>
>>32268559
An ROTC scholarship? Talk to your local university with an NROTC detachment
>>
>tfw fucked by a genetic condition I didn't even know I had
How to cope with forever being a civilian pleb?
>>
>>32268615
join foreign legion
>>
>>32268615
Learn to love yourself :)
>>
Anyone in 25d/35q/17c cyberwarfare?
>>
I'm torn between choosing a cushy MOS, or just saying fuck it and getting into a combat role.

The problem is I'm a pussy.
What do?
>>
File: letthelittlechildrencometome.png (641KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
letthelittlechildrencometome.png
641KB, 800x537px
Reminder To Never Enlist As:
>MP
>SECURITY FORCES
>MASTER AT ARMS

Unless You Love To:
>SCAN IDS ALL DAY
>SALUTE ALL DAY
>STAND IN A SHACK ALL DAY
>STARE AT GATES ALL DAY
>BREAK UP DOMESTIC DISPUTES BETWEEN GRUNTS AND THEIR DEPENDAPOTOMUSES
>HAVE YOUR UCMJ KNOWLEDGE BECOME A LIABILITY IF YOU PURSUE CIVVIE LEO
>>
>>32268995
>The problem is I'm a pussy

No. the problem is you're an idiot. You can correct this problem but acknowledging the fact that combat arms with no ongoing conflicts is terrible when you can live out your contract as a cushy pussy POG but depending on MOS good post service job prospects.
>>
Anyone currently a linguist in any branch?

My recruiter (Air Force) nudging me in the linguist direction. I'm taking the DLAB next week.

I want to know if military linguists feel satisfied in their job, and if the experience/security clearance is as valuable as a civilian as people say.
>>
>>32269038
Not him but what are the cushiest pussy POG MOS's with good civilian job prospects?
>>
>>32269121
Cyber and Intel related ones. Most anything with a TS.
>>
Hoping someone here can give me some advice
I got a 98 on my ASVAB, I'm going into the army national guard, and I would like to go into a job that will likely see combat if a real war breaks out

What are my options?
Thanks in advance.
>>
>>32269195
1. Why Guard?
2. What are your local units?
3. What slots do your local units have available?
>>
>>32269183
>Intel
Doesn't that involve a lot of field work and physical shit though
>Cyber
The Air Force is the best for cyber security jobs right? Do they provide training or do you need prior experience in infosec
>>
>>32269121
Firefighter
>>
What're my chances of becoming a SARC? Is it just as hard as becoming a Recon Marine? If I fail anything, can I try again?
>>
>>32269229
>Intel
The exact opposite. You are not a spy, not James Bond. The field collectors are called HUMINT. Everybody else spends their time using classified databases to analyze information and create intelligence products for customers. I.e. reports, etc.
>Cyber
Air Force and Navy both have good ones. If your ASVAB qualifies you then I """THINK"""" you just take a data comprehension test, if you have certs you can get bonuses and other stuff.

The Navy has this cool gig where you are reserves, but you're Cyber and they cover your training and school while being a reservist. You also have opportunities to travel in CONUS and work in cool locations once or twice a year. Call 'em up, and don't go NUKE.
>>
>>32268255
Is the military on vacation or something, the last time I talked to my recruiter was in October and I had finished going through Meps and gave him a bunch of paperwork and he hasn't called me back or texted or anything
>>
>>32269220
1. I'm in college, ROTC doesn't work for me, and they pay all my tuition and fees
2. I'm in western Massachusetts, I don't know where to find exactly which operate in this part of the state
3. it seems like mostly truck driving and mechanic slots open but there is some MP positions and 35F along with a few other intelligence ones
http://jobs.nationalguard.com/ngb/browse_by_state/Massachusetts/?searchId=1481323674.3632&action=search&page=1
>>
>>32269045
My brother did it in the navy and hated it. Some people like it.
>>
>>32269282
Harder since you not only have to pass BRC/ bud/s you have to go through the SOCM pipeline
>>
>>32269295
What did they say at MEPS?
>>
File: ruth2.jpg (74KB, 540x720px) Image search: [Google]
ruth2.jpg
74KB, 540x720px
>tfw you kinda want to re-enlist but theres no war to fight anymore
>>
>>32269303
>35F

Get an intel slot. Double check to see if College will mesh with your basic and AIT, but for the love of God please consider getting Intel and enjoying that sweet sweet TS.

What is your major?
>>
>>32269284
>field collectors
Then should I specifically ask for signals if only HUMINT guys do all the operator stuff?
Thanks for the tips
>don't go NUKE
Just curious, why exactly? Subs seem pretty comfy as far as the environment and benefits go
>>
>>32269323
Everything was good, didn't get dq'd and no aids
>>
>>32269446
It's been a while since I went, but from what I remember, you sign the contract there and then you get orders. Did you sign anything?
>>
>>32269374
>HUMINT
They really don't do operator stuff either, they normally drive desks but can get out once and a while. Still comfy. Think of them as interviewers.

>NUKE
Subs can be really comfy, and the sub route has a lot of benefits. However, there are ways to get on a sub that isn't NUKE. The problem with NUKE is that you will go through I think 2 years of constant, highly technical school. We're talking advanced math, metallurgy, physics, constant studying and testing in harshly lit rooms. You have to have near literal autism to thrive, much less survive.

And if you make port, guess who gets to babysit the reactor?
>>
>>32269472
No, they had to send my shit to their command because i'm a fuck up and had problems with the law.
>>
>>32269310
SARCs dont go through buds faggot
>>
>>32268346
Bit of a little man sydrome I detect seeing this reposted this over and over.
>>
>>32269547
Ah ok, then yeah you will probably be contacted by your recruiter when they get the paperwork and have you sign. Military takes a while to do paperwork so couple of months probably isn't bad. The recruiter wouldn't be blowing you off, since they need you for their numbers. It is weird they haven't contacted you back though, you can't go to the office?
>>
>>32269473
Yeah I get it. Either way SIGINT sounds better and probably more interesting
Nuke sounds pretty shit then. What are the benefits of taking the (non-nuke) sub route?
The nice thing about the navy is the travelling aspect which is certainly a huge plus but I'm not sure how sub experience translates into the civilian world
Are there any cases where it's preferable to pursue an actual career in the military as opposed to going civilian?
>>
>>32269606
I can but i'm sure they'll call me when they need me. They've been really helpful and are doing their best to get me in.

I just wasn't sure if the election and holidays are causing a delay.
>>
>>32269555
Who do the seals use for medics then? I guess they send SEALs through the SOCM pipelline too? I'm sure either way is very tough, I remember reading about the SOCM pipeline and quite a few people wash out of it even after making it through the Q course
>>
>>32268346
Uhh can you not copy my posts? K thx
>>
>>32269639
Not sure but get used to it. 'Hurry up and wait' is something you will be doing a lot of in the military.
>>
>>32269632
Can't say much on sub civie transfer because it depends on what rate you get, but .mil career is pretty awesome. Can retire after 20 years of service, they cover school, medical care, a chance of cushy jobs and hours, job security, etc.
>>
>>32269709
>.mil career is pretty awesome
Are you talking only about the navy or?
>>
What's in your EDC?
>>
File: 1479776909883.png (164KB, 659x525px) Image search: [Google]
1479776909883.png
164KB, 659x525px
>>32269641
Sarcs dont go through the Q course either you faggot. This is why meg sucks sometimes, cause idiots like you post without having a fucking clue what youre talking about.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amphibious_reconnaissance_corpsman
>>
>>32270899
I know I'm talking about some 18D's blog that I read a while back
http://havokjournal.com/national-security/inside-the-special-operations-combat-medic-course/4/
>>
>>32268255
will any of you niggers tell me if I scored decently in the AFOQT or not?
>>
>>32270941
Ok thats great but an 18D and a SARC arent the same thing.
>>
>>32268815
>>32269229
>>32269284

Easy way to tell that people aren't actually in cyber: they think the Air Force is a good choice.

Air Force is the worst choice after the Marines for cyber. Navy and Army are ridiculously far ahead.
>>
>>32271019
You go through the same SOCM pipeline is what I'm talking about, on top of going through BRC which is hard enough as it is. If you have to ask these types of questions as to how hard they are and what happens when you fail you're most likely gonna wash out like all the other SOF wannabes that have posted here and failed.
>>
>>32271196
>If you have to ask these types of questions as to how hard they are
Who me? I didnt ask any question like that at all.
>You go through the same SOCM pipeline
Dude no you dont. Didnt you read the link i posted? They only thing they have in common is the Army Special Operations Combatant Medic Course (SOCM) and thats it. 18Ds go through the entire SF pipeline.
>>
>>32271301
>What're my chances of becoming a SARC? Is it just as hard as becoming a Recon Marine?
> They only thing they have in common is the Army Special Operations Combatant Medic Course (SOCM) and thats it.
that's what I'm talking about. I know the rest is different
>>
>>32269045
Long hours, stressful work, potentially good pay on the outside.
>>
JTAC or FISTer?
>>
>>32269045

You have to git gud if you want the nice jobs on the outside. Military linguists have a reputation of being kind of shoddy so you have to set yourself apart.

There's definitely good opportunities though.
>>
>>32269754
>.mil

All branches get the same benefits, broadly speaking.
>>
120 pounds 5'9' enlisted as crypto linguist. Can't lift shit and can barely do one pull up. How fucked am I I'm basic?
>>
>>32271901
Lift isn't important. Test yourself, max pushups and max pushups in one minute each. Pushups need good form. What's your 2 mile time? What branch?
>>
>>32271901
I'd be more worried about DLI than your PT test if I were you.
>>
Considering enlisting Army within the next year, really interested in 68W, but I'm worried that peacetime it will suck balls. Would 35M be better? I was slightly interested in that too and wonder if that's better at the current time.
>>
>>32273837
>68w

Have fun treating all the older paratroopers for back/leg problems and denying people pain meds.
>>
File: 1st.png (3KB, 220x330px) Image search: [Google]
1st.png
3KB, 220x330px
tell me about these guys. how hard is it to become one of em?
>>
>>32268255
Army 11C is bretty gud,
When I was in Afgafistan I went out on patrol as a grenadier, saw gunner, 240 gunner, and gunned a mark, a .50 and still worked as a 120 and 81 gunner. An 11c can do all that a bravo can do, but they can't do what we do. I don't think I would join the army now that they are trying to put broads in the infantry and all that. I can't imagine how pc the army is now.
>>
>>32274667
I was 1-26 INF 3-1 BCT. Not hard. just get assigned.
>>
>>32274775
what are the chances of getting in then? also how was daily life in it?
>>
Hello /meg/

I want to be a engineer officer in the netherlands.

With this function you need good stability at the feet and knees, stability that I maybe dont have.

As an altervative I can choose:
-Airforce IT
-Army repair vehicle
-Army Comms
-Airforce repair planes, heli's

which is least boring?
With airforce IT its possible to move on to intelligence, but you will only sit in an office all day long?

which do you recommend
>>
Can you bring your phone to MEPs I can't really get a straight answer on this
>>
EM3 on a CG here to answer any questions about navy surface life. 26 just joined up to bootcamp on jan 12 of this year so can answer stuff about what its like being older in the navy as well.
>>
>>32275595

Yeah you can. But you don't wanna be caught on it in the "business" areas where you are doing paperwork, medical, getting briefed, etc. Put it on silent and only be on it when you are on lunch, or waiting after most of your stuff is done or to be sworn in like areas where civillians and family members are.
>>
Graduated as an 11B yesterday, sitting in the airport on my way to my first duty station, Schofield Barracks, Hawaii. What do I need to know.
I missed you /k/.
>>
>>32275724
how many pushups can you do
>>
>>32275733
Not enough, got 42 on my last APFT, minimum required for 11B in my age group. I was always out of shape, still in the process of changing that, but improvementing consistantly.
>>
>>32275745
>42

HIGH SPEED
>>
>>32274667

Nobody wants to live in Kansas, so being part of Big Red One is pretty much as easy as telling your branch manager that you'll go to Fort Riley.
>>
All memes aside how hard it is to make it in SF?
>>
Hey, I don't really do much because I'm rich but have a degree and want to be an officer. How's it being in the Navy Reserve?
>>
>>32276207
Pick a less gay hobby.
>>
> younger brother is a total knob
> didnt finish college
> enlisted in Navy
> Sonar Tech on a fucking nuke sub
> already married

only thing he has going for him is his TS clearance.
>>
>>32275801
I'm working on it.
>>
>>32276323

I mean, his life prolly sucks but he's almost certainly making more money than most of his college graduate friends. Base pay + sub pay + BAH/BAS and bennies means he's doing very well.
>>
>>32275595
I think it depends on the MEPS

Mine didn't allow phones at all. And if you walked in with one the liason would give you a box to put it in storage. Plus everywhere you went you were asked if you had a phone.

So yeah, only your recruiter can answer that.
>>
What Mos do you the highest ST score for?
>>
File: 1479685641798.jpg (99KB, 614x767px) Image search: [Google]
1479685641798.jpg
99KB, 614x767px
>>32275612
Yo the guy who is in Yoko and was tricked thinking you could change rates? Theres like 3 people in your workspace?

>>32275745
>>32276340
How the fuck did you make in through OSUT and you can only do 42???????

>>32276323
Your point?

>>32276582
NUKE in the navy requires the highest scores of all the branches.
>>
>>32276128
Very

It's not as high intensity as BUD/S or RASP, but it is WAY longer, as much as 9-12 months depending on the MOS you're training for(comms and medical take longer).

There's something like 7 stages, testing and teaching many things. There's everything from linguistics to SERE.

The main event however, is Robin Sage. It's a mock conflict where the locals of some town in the south pretend to be guerilla soldiers. The goal of the SF trainees is to recruit and gain intel from them to fight the mock conflict. It's hard as shit, but it's where the most fun is because you get to use everything you learned
>>
>>32276601

lol yeah. got the 99th percentile on my advancement exam first time taking it. should be getting paid soon
>>
>>32276601
>How the fuck did you make in through OSUT and you can only do 42???????
With much difficulty.
>>
File: 1479608136862.jpg (118KB, 731x1024px) Image search: [Google]
1479608136862.jpg
118KB, 731x1024px
>>32276603
>It's not as high intensity as BUD/S or RASP
Source please

>>32276623
Thats good but dont let it go to your head. I got 99% on my E-5 and it didnt do shit for me. You used to get payed sooner the higher you scored but they did away with it the cycle before mine. I was pissed. Anyway whats your plan going forward? You gonna crossrate?

>>32276651
Ya thats crazy man everyone makes infantry sound tough here but you made it so idk. No offense.
>>
>>32276771

Always gotta keep on the grind man for sure. Annoyed to hear they did away with that shit... but thats Navy for you.

Well my plan right now is putting together an NFO package. I have to go Atsugi to get a flight physical.

In the interim I will be using TA to get closer to degree completion and will crossrate if the NFO thing doesn't work out.

Turned out to be a good deployment, though. Going through ESWS boards after holiday standdown, got ARO, IEM, Duty E, Repair E, switchboard, advanced DC, team leader, and some other qualifications i forgot all completed. racked up a sailor of the week on board as well.
>>
>open thread
>CYBER
>HUMINT
>SIGINT
>even all source was mentioned
>no IMINT
Where are the best intel guys at?
>>
File: 1479077932744.jpg (123KB, 625x767px) Image search: [Google]
1479077932744.jpg
123KB, 625x767px
>>32276806
>NFO package
Forgive me but i forget what that is.

>Turned out to be a good deployment
Nice, gimme top 3 ports you hit.
>>
File: 1480610292902.jpg (36KB, 450x450px) Image search: [Google]
1480610292902.jpg
36KB, 450x450px
What's the best path to take in the military if I am incredibly lazy and can't cut it in the real world? I don't care about learning skills that lead to employment, I intend on being a career soldier. Basically I want to be babysat for a couple decades.
>>
>>32276948

Naval Flight officer. Only hit Busan and Guam
>>
>>32277078

SH
>>
>>32276771
By "lower intensity" I didn't mean easy. In fact, SFAS is definitely harder than than them. It's almost a year long course, it's impossible to go RASP or BUD/S hard for that long, no matter how much of a beast you are. It also involves more skill training than either RASP or BUD/S. There's more time to physically rest while you are being taught languages, SERE skills and MOS training
>>
>>32277111
>Naval Flight officer
Word
>Busan
Never been
>Guam
Nice, hope you went to club USA
Wait how long was the deployment? You only hit 2 ports?

>>32277299
What youre saying is barerly true. BUD/s is only 6 months sure but after that seals have to go to SQT and sere as well and all that. Plus im pretty damn sure the physical training stays high even during language training and so on.
>>
>>32275090
"IT" (You're thinking comm/cyber) is a completely different career field to intel. If you want intel, go for intel. And yes, in intel or cyber you'll be sitting in an office 99% of the time.

Personally I'm in a cyber field and it's a pretty cushy job. Relaxed atmosphere, decent hours. But keep in mind if you join the AF you don't get to demand a certain job.

>>32275595
Depends on the MEPS. Ask your recruiter. Mine allowed them but we had to put them in lockers near the front desk, and could only use them in the main waiting area.
>>
>>32277414
It applies more to RASP than it does BUD/S desu
>>
>>32275595
I was able to bring my phone to MEPS, however, they required us to send all our belongings to this one storage room that was locked for pretty much the entire day. Didn't get it back until I was ready to leave.
>>
File: chichipchipchip.gif (21KB, 290x198px) Image search: [Google]
chichipchipchip.gif
21KB, 290x198px
How do I become dictator /k/?
>>
Can a Marine Officer in any field tell me what their work days are like?
>>
>>32277078
You've just described at least half of all military members in every field and service.
>>
Air Force question. Are you able to cross train into Para-rescue during a 4 year enlistment? Recruiter told me that I could tryout for it like 2 years in the enlistment and if I pass I can change my job to that, if I fail then I go back to my previous job. Is this true?
>>
Can anyone with a TS clearance tell me what the process is like to get one
>>
>>32278828

>Fill out SF-86
>Wait a few months while they're interviewing all your contacts and your contact's contacts
>Get your own sit-down interview to review your SF-86 and correct any discrepancies.
>Wait a few more months for your investigation to finish and your clearance to be fully granted
>Polygraph if necessary for additional access

Takes 6-12 months nowadays.
>>
>>32278491
not an officer but this is about right. wake up, hate your marines, get to work, find out new dumb shit your marines did, hate your marines, get bitched at for what your marines did, hate your marines, micro manage your marines, hate your marines, have to kiss the ass of the marine above you, hate your marines, drink until sleep, repeat
>>
day 2 of running so I can enlist in the royal navy
2 miles in 20 mins
Need to do a mile and a half in under 12 mins, 9 mins ideally, anyone know if i'll be able to meet the standards in a month?
>>
File: IMG_20161202_144956.jpg (1MB, 1920x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161202_144956.jpg
1MB, 1920x1920px
>>32268292

Once you get into a routine, not bad at all. Wake up, shower, eat, stand watch, eat, do whatever the fuck you wanna do, go to sleep, repeat. It's cramped and you see the same goddamn people every day, can get fed up with the shitbirds pretty goddamn quick, but if you're an easygoing person it's pretty easy.

The biggest caveat to subs is you never really get to wind down. Gotta eat fast, shower fast, perform drills fast, qualify fast, you never really get to just sit down and catch your breath for long enough. Sometimes you'll burn a flick or play some xbox, but that just alleviates some of the pressure. It's a stressful environment that slowly builds up the longer you're underway. Stress management is an extremely important skill to have if you wanna go subs, you will absolutely fucking hate it if you don't handle stress well.
>>
>>32279532
What's the best job to get in a sub?
Is it difficult to make it to officer once you're in the navy?
>>
>>32279547

Depends what type of person you are. If you live turning wrenches, machinist mates (A-gang) are where you wanna be because there's no shortage of broken bullshit on a sub.

But as far as ease of life goes, one of the tech rates. Sonar, fire control, nav, and radio are all kush as fuck. Definitely don't go nuke, it's fucking horrible for those guys. Nukes lose their shit all the time, you think school is the hard part ha ha ha think again you retard. Autist savants and guys with excellent stress compartmentalization skills are the nukes who survive. Cooks have the easiest time as far as qualification goes, knowledge is not required to be a submarine cook, but they work a lot.

Get a degree and put in an officer package. It's easy and difficult at the same time. You have to be a stud while not being a cunt. A lot of guys who crush qualifications and whatnot tend to be massive stuck up faggots. The salty ass motherfuckers who interview you for candidacy know faggot when they see faggot. If you can work hard and still be a likeable person, you got a decent shot. Just remember, all submarine officers have to make it through nuke school except the supply ones.
>>
>>32279644
Tech sounds nice. What's it like doing stuff like sonar or nav?

>Get a degree and put in an officer package
I thought enlisted personnel could become officers after years of service? Sorry if I'm asking dumb shit
I'm a college dropout, and starting another degree all over again seems tedious as fuck.
>>
>>32279685

I'm a sonar tech. I love it, but I find sonar extremely interesting and legitimately enjoy expanding my knowledge. Guys who don't find it interesting tend to get bored out of their minds staring at a screen for 6-8 hours.

There's different officer programs. Easiest way to to get a degree and then put in a package. There's also the STA21 program which has you sent to college full-time until you get a degree, then off to OCS. Having previous college can either hurt or help you, it means they have to pay less for you to get a degree since you're already partway there, but it also means you probably didn't finish because you suck at college.

Either way, all officers have a degree of some sort. There's no way around that one, though I'm not sure if LDOs or warrant officers require a degree. Those are being phased out currently though.
>>
>>32279779
What do you do as a sonar tech for example?
Do you learn stuff that you think is gonna be valuable for finding a job once you're out?

Yeah, I really don't like college and I'd rather not work towards a degree again, even if it means I can't climb up the ranks as easily if at all.
>>
>>32279816

Getting a degree helps climbing the enlisted ranks but isn't necessary. Looks good for making chief though.

Not much of sonar is applicable to the outside world. Still, there's a lot of contractor jobs available for us, working with Lockheed and whatnot. It's a very niche community and specialization.

Nav guys can get jobs with just about anything maritime related.

Also, we get general tech skills. I'm going to a fiber optic school soon which will go toward a civilian fiber optic certification. There's a lot of schools like that tech rates can go to and expand their usefulness in the civilian world. Submariners are always desired as firefighters too so that's an easy fallback.
>>
>>32279917
What kind of stuff do sonar guys do with contractors?

How long have you been in sub for and how long do you plan on staying? Is there a reason why you wouldn't want to finish your career in the subs/navy in general?
>>
How long does the TS screen take?
>>
>>32279969
Should state that I'm in the specific context of the NUPOC pipeline. Submitted my SF86 about a month ago
>>
>>32273837
Language will be mandatory very very soon for all incoming 35M. If you don't go to an INSCOM unit, life will suck a fat dick.
>>
>>32279969

I filled out my SF86 over a year ago and they're just now doing my invesigation. You pretty much get a probationary clearance wherein you're kinda allowed to see some stuff (what is required for training) until the investigation is done.
>>
>>32269045
Army linguists in FORSCOM get their languages raped by every other training and requirements to turn on SIGINT equipment suck hairy asshole.
>>
>>32280076
Interesting, thanks. They're letting me go to DC to interview for the program but I wouldn't swear in I guess. Hopefully I don't have to wait a year to get in!
>>
>>32279958

Contractors remove/install the systems on boats (it's always being upgraded), run/manage trainers, perform maintenance on arrays, and serve as our technical help guys when we have a problem we can't fix with troubleshooting at our level. They also do R&D for new systems/arrays which is really cool ass shit.

I've been in the Navy for just under 2 years. Roughly a year of school, 8-9 months on the boat. Fairly recently got my dolphins. If everything keeps going well, I might do 20 years. Haven't been in long enough to make that decision yet.
>>
>>32269632
Tactical SIGINT carries heavy as fuck shit into the field with infantry.

HUMINT dudes also roll in with infantry.

TFW you do more field problems than the infantry, but rarely get to do "your" job and the infantry cats think all you can do is pull security until something FUBAR happens and they realize you're not just dead weight, but forget about it until halfway through the next time you're with them.
>>
Does Corpsman require US citizenship or just permanent residency? The online Navy recruiter said it does, but there's so many other websites and people I've asked that say no, so which one is it?
>>
>>32271901
You're fucked if you go to FORSCOM after you make it through Goodfellow after you make it through DLI after you make it through Basic.

Average our guys carried in the field at JRTC dismounted, patrolling with infantry and the infantry's scouts was over 90 pounds. But you've got time for that. Build yourself up for basic, and when you get there it will be a cake walk. Take things at a consistent pace.
>>
>>32279528
bumping this
>>
>>32276828
what is "best?" OSINT gets you most of what you need to make informed decisions.
>>
File: k_kommando_operators.gif (4MB, 360x202px) Image search: [Google]
k_kommando_operators.gif
4MB, 360x202px
hello lads
thinking about joining the muhreens next year
problem is I want to be an 03xx and fuck shit up, but from what I gather the Corps pretty much puts you wherever they need you after boot camp
so my question is, what are my chances of getting into the infantry field if I specifically request this and only this?
thanks for answers

>inb4 don't go infantry in peacetime
>>
I want to do fun shit
What should I enlist for
>>
>>32280211
03xx is always infantry, unless you go 0321 and flunk out of BRC.
>>32280222
pilot, any branch.
>>
>>32280238
>03xx is always infantry
yes I know that
where in my post have I implied that it isn't?

my question is if I can be a an 03 (infantry) simply because I want to be (and meet all the standards ofc)
>>
>>32280266
yeah. It's in the contract, they legally can't force you to be anything other than infantry if you don't want to.
>>
>>32280211
>joining the muhreens
Not trolling, but why this branch?
The training, schools, equipment is notoriously worse in the Marines (compared to army).
Similarly, if you end up going all high-speed, there is a MUCH higher ceiling for true operatordom outside of the Marines.
>>
So I'm an 11b in the guard (kek, I know) and I want to reenlist as a 35 series, PsyOps, or CA. I googled all of these but I want to know if anyone has done this before and what it all entails. Just basically anyone with knowledge redpill me on these.
>>
File: islam.jpg (59KB, 960x459px) Image search: [Google]
islam.jpg
59KB, 960x459px
>>32280296
okay cool thanks a lot man
I hope Donald starts a war somewhere so I can do cool shit and die
>>32280331
>why this branch?
well that's kinda difficult to explain
first of all I want to be infantry so it's either Army or Marines
I'd say it's unironically about pride most of all things
I know some people who served in the Army and who legit regret that decision (like my uncle for example) because of how giant of a fuck up it is, on the other hand you would hardly hear this from a former Marine, because even tho it's the same and perhaps an even bigger fuck up than the Army the Marines are always proud of their service with their fellow Marines
not even really the "devil dog oorah get some" bullshit, but a slightly different kind of "pride"
now I don't want to sound like I disrespect the soldiers, that's definetly not what I'm trying to say, I'm just speaking from second-hand experience and I chose the Corps

I guess I sound like a fucking retarded naive teenage fuck (and currently pretty drunk too), but I hope you catch at least some of my thoughts
>>
>>32276230

So I take it that means being a reservist is pretty lame?
>>
Is it better to call and make an appointment to talk with a recruiter or just walk in?
>>
>>32280238
Wrong. There are 03xx pogs. Looking at you LAV.
>>32280331
Dude, 11b's are not better trained than your friendly neighborhood 0311.
>>
I'm gonna be 22 this month, am I too old for 18x?
>>
>>32280892
no
>>
>>32280892
Retarded?
>>32280848
Call. It's a big moment so you better be prepared. Know what jobs you want ahead of time.
>>
>>32280456
A lot of old marines tell me "if I could do it all over again, I'd join the Air Force."
My buddies that joined right out of high school hate the Marines and one already got out and joined the Navy.
>>
>>32280892
Considering you have to be at least 21 to join SF, I'd say no.
>>
Can you go straight to 18x or do you come up from 11b?
>>
>>32281005
They are memeing IRL. It was fun being a Marine. But since the war is over, probably makes sense now.
>>
>>32281050
Did you even google it dumbass?
>>
how does boxing work for the military? Is it just something you can sign up for?
>>
File: Arianny-Celeste.jpg (721KB, 1687x3000px) Image search: [Google]
Arianny-Celeste.jpg
721KB, 1687x3000px
I figured this thread is the best place to ask.

Veteran here, going to start school next month with the post 9/11 gi bill. Everything is all ready to go, just wondering about getting paid and how and when it works, since I've never done it before.
Since I'm taking a full time class load, when will I get the BAH and the book stipend? Does it just get direct deposited into my account? How long does that take and when can I expect to get it?
Also, despite getting the GI bill, I also applied for and was approved for FAFSAs, and the school said it got the request and would process it. When do I get that money sent back to me?

Any help and insights from fellow vets who've used the post 9/11 gi bill would be great.
>>
>>32280114
Honestly, it shouldn't take that long. I got into the NUPOC program in 1 month. On average the whole process takes about 3-6 months. The only people I met when I went to DC that had to wait more than a year to get in had medical issues that needed to be sorted out.
>>
>>32281372
Yeah I started my application a bit over a month ago and am going to DC next week, it's just my recruiter called and told me that my security stuff hasn't gone through yet so I wouldn't probably swear in in DC and instead swear in back home at some point in the future (assuming I pass in DC). I'm trying to gauge how long that might take between the two. Guess I could just ask my recruiter
>>
>>32281050
18x is an "enlistment option" so ponder on that and maybe you'll find the answer.

Nobody is an 18x.

You join with an 18x contract and then get assigned a job in the 18series.
>>
>>32281332
You get it direct deposited to the account that you set up connected with GI bill stuff.

You should get your book stipend about a week or so before classes start. You get paid your BAH at the beginning of the next month. Payments are always for the previous month to make sure you didn't drop out. You will get paid full rate for every FULL month- meaning the payments for the first and last month of the semester are going to be light.
>>
>>32281300
Well the academies have boxing teams.
With good enough grades and a good amateur record you could get a scholarship.

I'm sure the branches have boxing clubs or something you can join though.
>>
>>32281538
neat, I ask because I saw some kind of armed forces boxing competition on youtube and it got me interested. I've been boxing for several years now, and I'd love to be able to still do it if I enlist
>>
>>32281603
Depending on where you're stationed, there's all kinds of clubs you can do. Even scuba diving and skeet shooting.
But again, you won't be on the Army's main boxing team. Which is westpoint's team.
But hopefully you can find a club or start one.
>>
What is the proper customs and courtesies when in formation for uniform inspection?

Such as...
- When an officer asks you questions, are you supposed to look at them when replying, or should you maintain an unmodified position of attention? (i.e. head and eyes straight forward even if the officer is like 2 feet shorter than you)
- Should you give the greeting when a new officer steps in front of you, or should you keep your mouth shut until spoken to?

No matter what I do in this situation I feel like I'm fucking up majorly.
Army btw.
>>
Should I learn krav maga?
>>
>>32281673
Different units have different expectations. Technically if the dude's not a part of your shit you don't say anything, because you're either at parade rest or attention in formation.
>>
>>32281805
no
>>
>>32281673
Didn't you go through boot? How don't you know this?
>>
Doesn't the security clearance process put a lot of trust into random folks being honest? Maybe I have an incorrect view of people, but it seems like most folks wouldn't say a person is a druggie or anything like that if asked by a dude with a badge. I guess they have no other route of getting info though
>>
>>32276207
If I were you, I'd use your money to learn to fly in your spare time, your degree to get a commission, and be a pilot
>>
Anyone had any mental health issues during their enlistment? I want to become an airline pilot, but I'm afraid I'll be turned away once they poke through my records and do a mental eval on me.
>>
>>32282089
Maybe I don't remember? Maybe it wasn't explained very clearly?
Maybe the dude who inspected our ASUs at basic wasn't a fucking midget so I could see him more or less at eye level?
Maybe there are conflicting rules? (Normally you greet an officer when they're right fucking in front of you and they return your greeting BUT you're not supposed to talk in formation).
The regulations don't exactly say which one takes precedence. And NCO and officers will all tell you different shit regarding inspection protocol, etc. Right down to how to answer questions (for example answering yes/no questions with yessir/nosir vs. giving full and complete answers).
You know, you could have just answered my question instead of making me write this.
>>
>>32282349
People are unreliable to a point, definitely.

Mostly though people get dropped for clearances because of financial problems- of which there is plenty of paperwork.

The drug issue is that they look as hard as possible for past use, but really ongoing use is of more concern and randomized drug tests are going to weed that out. I remember when I was getting out of the military I had to deal with so many people getting booted out because of drug tests. They all had bitchy sob stories. People just think the system won't catch them until it do.
>>
>>32282089
Basic is not about D&C and hasn't been since shortly after GWOT kicked off. Too busy trying to cram things in that actually enable people to kill people.
>>
>>32282403
having a civilian license does not necessarily assist in the process.
>>
>>32282349
A big part of training for interviewers and investigators is on interview and investigation techniques and skills. Certainly, this doesn't preclude one's ability to subvert the system, and the clearance granting process and failures over the decades since its first inception here in the States (I'm looking at you, Nathaniel Hale, you Yale graduate but abject failure at espionage).
>>
>>32282564
I know someone who made it through air force ROTC but didn't couldn't commission because the guy right below him in class rank (or whatever it's called) had their civilian license already and he got to take his spot. Or so he says.
>>
>>32282604
"Making it through" is one thing. Building rapport with your ROTC cadre so your contract doesn't get cut is another.
>>
>>32282537
alright

I've never used pot but have been in the presence of others who were using it. I indicated no on drug usage but am worried some hazy memories are gonna lead to people thinking I did use it (this was 3 years ago). I feel like I almost should've lied about having done it just so this doesn't screw me somehow
>>
>>32278491
Bump
>>
File: 1446916790182.jpg (94KB, 800x537px) Image search: [Google]
1446916790182.jpg
94KB, 800x537px
>tfw hitting SF86 section 21 and the counseling center no longer has your records due to a system overhaul.

What the fuck do I do? It was initially for family
related counseling but then I did undergo a mental screening, a few potential references know about it but I can't prove it on the paper work side.
>>
>>32282411
I had clinical depression all over my medical history. I was taking prescription medication for it just 6 months before I first went to MEPS.

They just didn't look at any of it. They didn't care. They never really do.
>>
>>32282349
Yeah I've been wondering about them looking at medical records and finding out people lied about physical injuries/conditions or counseling. A lot of people I've met going for TS jobs seemed like they wouldn't pass a thorough medical background check. How would their clearance process get handled if something like that was found?
>>
>>32283257
This is the exact thing I'm wondering about, I need a ts for my job, but I forgot to put something minor related to my mental health on the Sf-86. Eveyone I asked made it seem like I'll be able to explain it to the investigator and they'll understand, but I'm still worried about it.
>>
>>32283352
What kind of issue?
>>
>>32283454
Anxiety meds for like a month when I was 13
>>
>>32283516
So far as I know they don't care about anything before the age of like 16
>>
File: 954.png (462KB, 1192x776px) Image search: [Google]
954.png
462KB, 1192x776px
>>32268255
>tfw I wanna join the most laughingstock armed force in the history of humanity
hold me bros
>>
>>32283528
It's that or past 7 years
>>
Is anyone here familiar with the Army OCS reading list?
Which book should I start with?
http://www.benning.army.mil/infantry/199th/ocs/content/zip/Reading%20List.zip
>>
>>32283257
>>32283352

It's *really* hard to get medically disqualified for a clearance. You have to remember that there are literally people in wheelchairs with the highest level clearances. Same with drugs (as long as it wasn't recent usage) and mental illnesses (unless they make you incapable of keeping secrets).

Medical stuff is far more likely to disqualify you from the military than it is to stop a clearance.
>>
>>32283870
Drugs can be DQing if you lie about consumption

Though I've always wondered about accidental omissions, i.e. some guy who used pot once and for some reason didn't remember that he had and then somehow it comes up in the investigation. If they're that forgetful, the adjudicator may decide to just deny it out of caution
>>
>>32283870
So what happens to the poor souls who failed to provide medical documentation in MEPS but now have to deal with the SF86?
>>
>>32269004
Aside from basic law enforcement, don't they also receive specialized counter terrorism and security training?
>>
>>32283984
Not that guy but the SF86 review is I believe handled by the OPM and they won't necessarily have access to what you said at MEPS since that falls under Privacy Act protections I believe
>>
>>32283971

>Drugs can be DQing if you lie about consumption

That means that drugs didn't disqualify you at all, lying did.

There's tons of stuff you can lie about that will disqualify you because you lied, but would mean absolutely nothing if you just admitted to it.
>>
>>32284005
Yeah I suppose so

How do they distinguish between someone legitimately forgetting something vs. intentional obfuscation?
>>
>>32268576
There's a saying that goes "there's only one thief in the Marine Corps. Everyone else is just trying to get their shit back." I imagine it's the same across all branches.
>>
>>32283227
>They just didn't look at any of it. They didn't care. They never really do.
Who, MEPS?
>>
>>32280211
The recruiter had me choose the top 3 MOSs I wanted. My first pick was infantry and I got it no problem. ended up becoming a Mortarman at SOI. Can't think of any reason you'd end up with an MOS you didn't want unless you signed an open contract.
>>
>>32280238
>enlisted pilot
>>
graduating medic AIT shortly, i can answer questions about that and BCT if anyone wants

in BCT reception, the guy at finance said I had to sign up for the Montgomery GI Bill for a year, then could use the post-9/11 GI Bill and that's in contrast with everything anyone else told me (except that I have to wait a year before doing any college shit) and i think i annoyed him so he might have been fucking with me

when I get to my duty station should i go and get this shit checked out?
>>
>>32283840
I aint clickin on that download but post some pics?
>>
>>32284479
You did not "have to" sign up for it. If you did it do any matter though. Once you get out of the mil you switch from the mont to the post 911 and you're good to go. You get the 1000 back at the very end of your post 911.
>>
>>32284479

To get the option of using the MGIB you have to put in $1200 (100/mo for the first year). You don't have to do anything to use the Post-9/11 except serve your time and decide you want to use it instead of the MGIB. If you use up 100 % of your Post-9/11 GI Bill, they will refund your $1200.

Most people don't exhaust their GI Bill benefits, so the government gets to pocket that $1200.
>>
Be me: 22, Canadian, 1 year into computer systems degree.
Planning to join the reserves soon as a signals officer.
Anyone do anything similar?
>>
>>32284573
>Most people don't exhaust their GI Bill benefits
wtf are you talking about? Who wouldnt use their full benefits?
>>
>>32284512
>not trusting a .mil site
>>
>>32284650
- Officers and enlisted who already have degrees and don't want to go back to school
- People who got enough technical/trade experience in the military who simply want to start a civilian career upon leaving
- Dumbfucks who joined up to shoot hajis and nothing more.
>>
>>32282403

That's interesting. I'd fly A-10s if I could. But I'm 28 already, so feel pretty limited to something like intel or psyops.
>>
>>32285364
If that's the case why would you even bother to sign up for the mont then?
>>
>>32269004
>Uniform code of military justice knowledge becomes liability when you are a civvie LEO

What do you mean?
>>
>>32281528
Well shit, none of this was what I wanted to hear right now.

I'm depending on that GI Bill to support myself as I study full time.
I literally have no time for anything else like getting a job.
>>
>>32285931
LEO doesn't want to start having to starch their uniforms
>>
HS fag here is joining up for me?
>inb4 lol 18+ get b&
I've no sense of purpose and hate school, but am not a dumbass. I got a 99 on the adqt so I should have my pick of mos if/when I take the asvab. I may or may not be able to get into college because of my shit gpa if that changes anything. Could I join for a 2 or 3 year contract? I get the 4x4 thing either way.
>>
>>32285955
Are you retarded? Did you not understand what he said. The BAH gets given straight to you. That's a good thing. What's the problem?
>>
MEPS on tuesday for Navy set on AECF ET or FC but should i do sub?
>>
>>32285931
From LEOs perspective, it goes like this.
>Oh you're trained as MP?
>Your first reaction must be to shoot people, huh?
Which is a result of police departments beating it into their officers' heads that the gun is the last thing you'll ever use, and the perception that MPs are of the opposite mindset. I think it's funny because almost any other job in the armed forces will put you in a stronger position to work in law enforcement, except for the one military job that involves law enforcement work.
>>
>>32286311
No
>>
Airborne infantry if anyone has questions.

>>32280422
I could probably help, what are you questions?
>>
>>32286723
Did you actually choose that or are you an 18x drop?
How do you like it?
How long you been in?
Stories?
>>
>>32286790
1. Another option, and chose it.
2. I like it, but it sucks too. If you don't have ambitions towards the field, you'll hate your life.
3. A good bit.
4. The one thing you get from the suck is a shit ton of stories. The most menial things can end up being huge in retrospect.
>>
>>32286942
>a good bit
Why do you fags do this? Just fucking say how long you've been in.
>>
>>32286723
Has there been any incident involving malfunctioned parachute? What went through your mind right before your first jump?
>>
>>32284573
Damn you must be as old or older than me. I put my $1200 in. I'm using my post 9/11. I was told once I graduate they'll give me my $1200 back.

Also 0311 here, AMA before I drink more and pass out.
>>
>>32286954
It's pretty irrelevant unless you're new. 4 years.

>>32286971
1st jump I was hyped but still scared. 2-5 I was just worried about getting hurt and not being able to continue further training.

No major/total malfunctions like a cigarette roll or anything. Have had my chute collapse completely by itself once, minor collapses a few jumps, and people falling then running on it a few times. Have ran on chutes twice, once was brief, second was pretty much the whole chute.
>>
>>32284650

The vast majority of servicemembers don't touch their tuition assistance while they're in. For the GI Bill, 30-40 % of people just never touch it and let it expire. Of the people who do use it, most of them only use a bit of it.

It's a great deal for the government, since they can offer up this benefit worth potentially $300,000+ on the table, and most people just leave it there. The government probably has to pay out less than $50k/vet on avg for education bennies.
>>
>>32275724
Well you probably weren't 2-54. 2-58?
>>
How hard is RASP? I looked at the requirements on this site and it actually seems pretty easy. I can already meet the requirements and haven't. Even been training very hard.

http://m.goarmy.com/ranger/training/rasp.m.html

Is there something I'm missing?
>>
>>32288068
not americangloroiuswarracemilitary but from my knowledge of how selection works its not like you go there, do the tests and then get accepted
its pack marching without food or sleep until you dont know what day it is, if youre awake or still marching in your sleep and if the beavers you see having tea on the table are real or you losing your mind

anyone can go SF if you just meet the bare minimum requirements which are placed to weed out obvious fat cunts and to prove that your medically capable of attempting the course and wont break down from the first exercise
>>
>>32288068
The website lists the bare minimums to pass the required events, but the expectations to actually get selected are more stringent. If you're only getting a 240 APFT, for instance, you're gonna fucking die in regiment.
>>
If I take Vyvanse 30mg for add is that something that i should disclose at meps or will that get me discharged
>>
>>32268255
Does 1812 have a height limit like 19k does?

>tfw you want to be a tanker, but can't because you're not a manlet
>>
>>32288444
im 190ish cm and can fit alright in a tank

theres guys who are almost half a head taller than me aswell
>>
>>32288435
What happens when you don't take it?
>>
File: r face.jpg (7KB, 251x219px) Image search: [Google]
r face.jpg
7KB, 251x219px
Would a career in the military be a good path to take even for a short time while I make my way?

I'm 25 working dead end jobs in warehousing, manual labor and nightfill at supermarkets.

Im pretty adventurous by nature, so have a whole bunch of skills that aren't really marketable when I apply for a job that isn't manual labor.

> Skydiver (roughly 120 jumps)
> Technical re breather diver (80 hours)
> Open water scuba instructor.
> Have Private pilot's license
> Have done a bunch of survival courses when I was doing volunteering looking for missing hikers / mountain rescue for about 3 years.

Am I too old at 25? Would it be worth it?

I wanna get back into university, perhaps study while in the military.
>>
File: military seals.png (548KB, 714x466px) Image search: [Google]
military seals.png
548KB, 714x466px
Which branch would be the most likely to die on their knees, crying like women?

Which branch has the most man tits?

Which branch lacks the capacity to feel shame or self-awareness?
>>
>>32289068
None of those skills would help you
>>
File: 1441357839688.jpg (95KB, 653x490px) Image search: [Google]
1441357839688.jpg
95KB, 653x490px
>>32289068
I'm trying to do that at 27. Should've done it at 25 but I weighed 300+ lbs.
>>
>>32289154
Air Force

Air Force

Navy
>>
File: 1473055274926.jpg (407KB, 2000x1333px) Image search: [Google]
1473055274926.jpg
407KB, 2000x1333px
Never go MP bump.
>>
>>32286311

I posted some replies about sub work yesterday, scroll up. If it sounds good to you, then yes. Extra monies, don't have to work with surface mouthbreathers and the high school emulators that are known as surface ships. If it sounds horrible, then stay AECF.
>>
>>32289068
Join the military for the GI Bill, study something useful, you're not too old if you're physically fit or can GET fit (you'll know the answer to this soon). Marines won't take you if you don't sign up, like, now, due to age cutoffs, but Army, etc. will.
>>
>>32289068

I joined at late 24 and it was fine. Kinda was in the same situation you are.

Go Navy diver. It isn't really all that physically demanding, the parts where people drop the most are the ones involving the scuba gear. Since you have experience in the water, I don't think it'll be too difficult. Not much of dive school is actual swimming.
>>
Are there any paths into the military that significantly advantage you in terms of getting medical/pharmaceutical degrees when you get out? From what I've heard talking to an Army Medic, the answer is "no, you don't really get taught that shit, you gotta just hit the books with your GI Bill" but I'm looking for second opinions since their service was a while ago.
>>
>>32290253

Yeah not really. Guys walk away from Corpsman with EMT certs but as far as medical degrees go, no.
>>
>>32289154
Marines.
>>
>>32289154
USMC

Army

USMC
>>
>>32288681
It would be very painful
>>
>>32289218
Nigger are you retarded? Half that shit would give him a leg up in different SOF schools.
>>
>>32290482
I don't necessarily agree with that. With certain skills like he mentioned there are different ways of doing things and it can be challenging if you already have muscle memory/knowledge of one way to accept the different way that the military is teaching you.
>>
>>32290253
Medics aren't really taught how to cure things or really even fix problems, they just train to keep you alive until you can get to a full fledged doctor who can help you
>>
>>32290509
I think that's kind of the equivalent of fuddlore. Sure learning to do something a new way takes some effort but it's so much easier when you already have a foundation.
>>
>>32268255
Would serving briefly in the military of a foreign US-friendly country fuck my chances of getting a security clearance further down the line? I'm in Europe right now and I'm thinking of doing a year as a reservist here before going back to the US. I think I could use the experience but I'm interested in Intel long term so I would almost certainly need a TS at some point. Wat do /k/?
>>
>>32287939
Echo 2-54.
>>
>>32269183
>and Intel related ones. Most anything with a TS.

Just an FYI anon: YOU NEED A DEGREE

Regardless of having a TS/SCI you need a fuckin degree. To get hired on as a contractor you need at least an Associate's. To get hired as a federal civilian you need at least a Bachelor's.

The days of ETSing and stepping into a $150k gig in Afghanistan are over. The company looking to hire you or the head hunter hiring people for these contracting companies don't get final say on hiring. The contracting agency does. So if DoD says you need a certain minimum education level, and you don't have it regardless of how operator your resume is, you aren't going.

I had some buddies who were intel contractors in 2011 at CENTCOM who were told to start school within six months or they were being let go.
>>
>>32276828
>Where are the best intel guys at?

>Hurrr look at da pwetty pichsurs I'm important! I am operatur
>>
>>32290995
Don't.
>>
>>32291192
>YOU NEED A DEGREE
Not him but I thought military experience in a technical MOS pretty much guaranteed employment in the civilian world?
Were you talking exclusively about getting high-tier jobs in well-known contracting firms?
>>
>>32291325
>but I thought military experience in a technical MOS pretty much guaranteed employment in the civilian world?

The military does not exist to train you to do any other job than what you do while you're enlisted. There will be some MOS that will allow you to step into a civilian job. I would imagine the most successful enlisted CMF is maintenance (ground or aircraft). However, from the maintenance guys I know/knew, if you're doing something that is too specialized it's not going to apply at all to the civilian world. A buddy of mine worked on Apache systems, he works for the TSA doing cavity searches and running the x ray machine now.

You should assume that, unless you are an officer (and even then you're not guaranteed anything), that when you get out you will need to use your GI Bill.

>Were you talking exclusively about getting high-tier jobs in well-known contracting firms?

No. I am talking about entry level intel contracts.

The Army/Navy/Muuhhrreenz/Air Force are not Job Corps. They aren't designed to train you to do something so that you will go create value somewhere else. They aren't designed to help you do anything other than fill a needed role within their organization so that they can meet their METL.

Now that that is out of the way, there are some things you can take from enlisting as an intel MOS when you do go to the civilian world:

Experience: you have experience. That's important. It isn't enough to get you a job without meeting minimum education requirements, but it will go a long way to getting you hired over someone without it.

Writing and intel production: this will put you leagues above all the kids when you start using your Post 9/11 GI Bill. Kids going into college aren't trained for analytical writing, research, or have the mileage writing actually important products that make or break your credibility as an analyst or collector.
>>
>>32291457
cont.

Knowledge (cue Tai Lopez): You will know what the IC looks like from the inside out. You will hopefully build a habit of checking the news and current events (because you will be checking message traffic/reporting every day when you are deployed or otherwise working), and you will hopefully build an interest in actually discussing these things. This also puts you above the majority of students you'll be around.

Age: you will be older than most of the non veteran students. So you will actually do the homework, you will actually pay attention to the prof, you will actually do the readings for the class, and you will actually learn the subject matter. If I had gone straight from high school to college I would have killed myself. I absolutely hated school my entire child hood. The only reason I didn't drop out of high school and go to Job Corps or get my GED before enlisting was because wrestling was a very important part of my life.
>>
>>32291192
>>32291325
>>32291457
>>32291509

The biggest advantage you can glean from the military is doing college while you're in. I finished my Bachelors and started grad school during my six year enlistment. When I got out at 24, I landed a job that wanted "a four year degree + at least 5 years experience". That means pretty much everyone else applying for it was in their 30s.
>>
>>32291457
>>32291509
>>32291587
Are things very different if you were an officer prior to applying for a civilian job? How does it change things?

What kind of degrees are contractors generally looking for when looking to hire people with an intel background?
>>
>>32291654

Officers aren't going to get much technical experience, so you need to have demonstrable managerial experience.

My former CO was denied a job at the company I ended up working for. He didn't have the practical know-how like I did, but he only spent 6~ years in, so he didn't really have what they were looking for in an executive capacity.

There's firms that work specifically with officers to try and find them mid tier consulting jobs though, which can be a good way to break into an industry.
>>
>>32291654
>Are things very different if you were an officer prior to applying for a civilian job? How does it change things?

You already have a degree.

>What kind of degrees are contractors generally looking for when looking to hire people with an intel background?

It literally does not matter what degree you have. There are no degree programs that will train you specifically to be an analyst or collector. There are some that will be better which are (sometimes) STEM and any that involve a shit ton of analytical writing (poli sci, psychology etc.).
>>
>>32291681
I thought the "officers don't actually do shit" thing was a meme. Aren't they pretty much required to have the same technical skills as their guys, especially if they went from enlisted to officer?

>>32291760
>already have a degree
Not if you became an officer through promotion rather than directly commissioning as one. Or am I missing something?
>>
>>32291325
Intelligence agencies routinely look for engineering, math, and physics graduates with a TS to be analysts. Military experience can also be a plus.

t. My retired NRL chief of electronic warfare and NATO branch head grandfather
>>
>>32291777
Fuck you're clueless

Enlisted going to officer have to have a degree. You have to have a degree to be an officer. There are no real exceptions to this except in extreme cases.

Officers generally do receive some technical training, but their day to day job is managing people who do the technical work: deciding who does what work, making sure work is being done, admin stuff, etc. They are managers
>>
>>32291779
>Intelligence agencies routinely look for graduates to be analysts.

FTFY famalam.

S&T looks for STEM degrees. You can apply for an analyst or collector position at civilian agencies without a STEM background. I know plenty of people who have been hired as analyst and collectors with non STEM backgrounds.

In fact let's get this out of the way now:

You do not have to be a 180 IQ STEM Phd. from an Ivy League who speaks eight languages, went to the Olympics, and cured baby cancer to work in the IC.
>>
Has anyone here worked for the UN? I'm in the Air force right now and am curious about it, can't find much info.
>>
>>32291777

>Aren't they pretty much required to have the same technical skills as their guys, especially if they went from enlisted to officer?

My job training pipeline was roughly four times as long as my commander's. His duties were mostly managerial, whereas mine were mostly technical. I received more follow-on training and spent far more time on the job.

He's a smart dude, but nobody can take seriously the idea that he and I are on the same technical level. He's much more set up for a managerial track than I am though.
>>
>>32291904

>You do not have to be a 180 IQ STEM Phd. from an Ivy League who speaks eight languages, went to the Olympics, and cured baby cancer to work in the IC.

Obligatory reminder that the most important "qualification" for a federal agency job is the willingness to work for less than you're worth elsewhere.

Agency civilians aren't always the cream of the crop, but they're usually the ones who could make more money in private industry and choose to stay public for the stability/mission.
>>
Do Marine Officers see combat?
>>
>>32292068

Sometimes? Yeah.

Right now? Probably not.
>>
>>32292028
>the most important "qualification" for a federal agency job is the willingness to work for less than you're worth elsewhere.

This. For the most part you could make more money in the private sector whether you're an intel practitioner or an S&T nerd. If you want to work in the IC it should be about the mission, not your paycheck.
>>
Will a food allergy make me useless to the military?

Looking to join the NZ reserves.
>>
>>32293001
depends on the food especially if it's like a peanut allergy I'd think
>>
>>32293182
It's not peanuts, it's tree nuts.
Fun fact, turns out peanuts are legumes and are completely edible for people like me
>>
>>32290329
Thanks for confirming.

>>32290570
Yeah that was my impression.
>>
>>32269183
real af cyber starts after your first enlistment, you'll probably end up on support desk changing passwords and setting up printers
>>
>>32284384
>rpa pilot
>>
>>32289218
>>32290509

But at the very least exposure would be of benefit. Like not getting sensory overload when the plane door opens, or being calm around water when/during malfunctions. We had to do some drown proofing for my tech diving and rescue diving curriculum.

Surely if anything exposure helps?

>>32289315
Congratz on the weight loss progress though. I hope it works out for you.

>>32290209
I'm not from the States but I appreciate the advice I'll see if my defense force offers something similar.

>>32290216
Navy diver isn't hiring where I am from I just checked. But i'll definitely keep an eye out.
>>
SF86 Bump
>>
>>32292068
Marine officers send their men into combat.

That's our job. Coming up with the game plan is his.
>>
Is there any chance of those 2 year infantry contracts coming back or am I going to have to wait until we go to war with sandniggeristan?
>>
>>32294449

They're probably not coming back any time soon, infantry is overmanned at the moment.

Two year contracts don't even get you full bennies. Just do a normal "short" 3 year contract.
>>
>>32294449
1. Probably No
2. War is over guy.
>>
>>32294458
I didn't know that the 3 year was an option.

>>32294472
I know there isn't a war now, but I'm sure there will be one sooner than later.
>>
File: Leatherneck10075.jpg (16KB, 210x240px) Image search: [Google]
Leatherneck10075.jpg
16KB, 210x240px
I wanna join the Muhreens.
Havin difficulty picking MOS
Here is list of MOSs that I am debating between:
0211 Counterintelligence/HUMINT Specialist
0331 Machine Gunner
0311 Rifleman
1371 Combat Engineer
or go Navy Corpsman

In the Muhreens I am tempted to become an MSEG but I don't know.
>>
>>32295526
Former 0311. You are so fucking stupid I want you to join the Army.

>0311 or 0331
You join Infantry and your MOS is decided in SOI ITB

>Combat Engineer
Decent guys, not really as combat as you'd think.
>Corpsman
Yeah, you said it. Whole different branch altogether. Everyone loves doc, but no guarantee you go FMF, and even then probably won't get put with grunts.

I recommend you just goto college. Play some Dungeons and Dragons. I'm a lvl 12 wizard dude. I've killed hadjis, and slaid Orks.
>>
>>32295733
Not that anon, but is infantry worth it in wartime?
>>
>>32294458
>tfw 6 year contract
feels medcom man
>>
>>32295821

In war? Man there is no bigger kick, no bigger rush. Adrenaline pumped to the max with a RipIt for breakfast.

Plus after you EAS you get PTSD for free.
>>
>>32296020
Kind of what I'm looking for. Except for the PTSD.
>>
>>32296112
You can't just eat the crumbs. You gotta eat the whole cake.

Then come back to /k/ and get trolled by 15 year olds.
>>
>>32293877

Not from the States? Hm. If you're in the EU, then you can go to pretty much any EU military you want if you're willing to plan ahead a year, since almost all of them let EU citizens join if they stay for a while first (about a year).

Failing that... French Foreign Legion!
>>
What is it like to be a 19D? What would it be like to be a 13F who is attacked with 19Ds?
>>
airborne infantry or reg infantry
>>
>>32296936
why be regular when you can be airborne
>>
>>32296936
>>32296992
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0rAHrHd2lcw
>>
Can anyone recommend a good bag to bring with me to basic? Airforce for those wondering
>>
>>32294390
>>32292130
So my PLC recruiter is probably trying to sell me sweet when he says I'll see combat as a 2nd Lt?
During war, which i expect we will go into wihtin the next 5 years, will a 2nd lt see combat?
>>
>>32297270
A bag? What?
>>
>>32297270

Lmao look at this fucking retard.
>>
>>32297389
like backpack or duffel bag
>>
>>32297460
wut
>>
>>32297461
Take the clothes on your back and nothing else you stupid shit.
>>
>>32297488
that sounds stupid
>>
>>32297505

Kill your recruiter.

When you get to boot camp, you throw everything you brought including your fucking underwear in a box as you put on military issue shit. Anything you take, including your dumbfuck 5.11 tactical backpack or whatever, is going home to mommy in a box.
>>
>>32297579
yeah eventually. but i dont get issued things immediately. i need to bring PT clothes and things
>>
>>32297656

Who the fuck told you that.

You are issued everything first day. You show up, piss test, get issued your shit, your hair is cut, then you're thrown in a division or whatever. It's a fast and efficient meat grinder.

Your recruiter is a faggot.
>>
>>32297461
You won't have access to any of that. Unless the Air force is even gayer than the memes about them.
>>
>>32297687
>>32297579
Not him, is this a meme then?
http://officercandidatesschool.com/ocs-packing-list/
>>
>>32297731

Dumb nigger are you going to OCS or are you going to basic aka enlisted basic at Lackland. Two completely different things. When you say "basic" it implies enlisted god damn I sure hope you're not gonna be an officer you're retarded.
>>
>>32297687
>>32297699
except i will need clothes for the first few days. i also need to bring things like a toothbrush/toothpaste, bodywash, notebook, and pens
>>
>>32297780
he said "not him" as in hes not the same person as the one who asked the initial question you fucking dumbass
>>
>>32297780
I said "Not him", you illiterate fuck.
Lay off the booze dumb shit.
>>
>>32297796
I was an enlisted Marine. You're going Air force officer and asking me how to dress yourself and brush your teeth?

Typical. You fucking moron ask your recruiter.
>>
>>32297796

Who told you this. You get everything issued to you. EVERYTHING. You will be issued clothes first day. Toothbrush, toothpaste, notebook, pens, all issued to you.
>>
>>32297813
>>32297814

My bad walking home from a ferry and my eyes are shit, didn't catch that part calmate.
>>
>>32297840
i cant deal with this retardation right now

>>32297851
everybody told me, even other websites
>>
>>32297866

Who is everybody.

Listen kiddo, watch any video from any branch bootcamp. You show up, make your call home saying mommy I'm okay, get piss tested, then get issued all your shit. You're given a bag or box to throw all of your civilian shit in, you literally keep nothing but your wallet, a phone number book if you brought one, and a personal/religious trinket if you are gay and need something like that. All of your clothes, your phone, bag, etc. are thrown in a bag/box to get shipped home. If you have nobody to send it to, then it's donated to goodwill.

This happens first day, immediately as you show up. You've either been lied to or deceived by a faggot recruiter who told you everything is hunky dory to convince you to sign on the dotted line.
>>
>>32297866
Yeah, I'm the retarded one. You'll get issued everything. They do it for enlisted they'll damn sure do it for officers.
>>
>>32297911
litteraly every video ive seen of people arriving at basic, everyone had a backpack or duffelbag. and i mean everyone. i seriously do not believe that i can or should show up to basic with absolutely nothing
>>
>>32297919
im not joining as an officer you fucking retard. i never said i was either
>>
>>32285897
Personally I don't really need it, but I opted for it anyways just in case Congress decides to nuke the post-911 GI bill and I want to take some classes after I'm out.
$1200 isn't that much desu.
>>
>>32297927

They had backpacks and shit because you stay in a hotel overnight at MEPS and then leave in the morning (typically). They just have their spare clothes in there, they don't keep any of that shit after getting off the bus.

Your critical thinking abilities are horrible.

Spotted the guy with an ASVAB waiver.
>>
>>32297941
Oh I guess it was other guy who posted about OCS.

Like other guy said, you put everything you show up with in a box. Only we didn't mail ours home.

During Marine week we got our shit back. The DI made us put our civvies clothes on and walk around as he made fun of us. It's called the "fashion show".
>>
Need to distance myself from this retardation.
http://officercandidatesschool.com/ocs-packing-list/
This guy who has made a comprehensive website for OCS said this is what I should pack.
I am NOT going to basic, but OCS.
>>
>>32297975
>>32298010
so you guys are seriously saying that i dont need to bring anything at all contrary to every other source ive seen
>>
File: 1477345940006.jpg (45KB, 657x527px) Image search: [Google]
1477345940006.jpg
45KB, 657x527px
>>32297687
>>32297780
>>32297865
>>32298066
Listen i dont know whos who just hear me out.
To the guy saying DONT BRING SHIT, yes is used to be that way. When I went through navy boot we put everything on us into a box immediately and shipped it all home. You didnt need to bring anything,
However
I know now some bootcamps its different. For army i believe you have to bring shoes and a few days worth of clothes. Times have changed.
So to whoever is asking just trust the list you were given and who cares what type o bag just bring something you dont care about loosing or getting damaged. Id bring something cheap probably and instead of going through the hassle of shipping it home id just throw it away.
>>
>>32298201

I'm the guy saying don't bring shit and I went through boot in February of 2015. I have a hard time believing it has changed that much. Poor as motherfuckers without shit to their name join and do just fine.
>>
What's the best way to become a technical warrant in the guard? Assuming you have active duty experience in your MOS.
>>
>>32298281
To clarify: your enlisted MOS.
>>
>>32298232
>boot
Why do you retards do this, you need to be fucking specific which one. Like I said, different ones have different rules.
>>
>>32298066
I was at Ft. Leonard Wood this summer, and the only thing we needed was a disposable razor and a toothbrush/toothpaste to use on the first day before we could go to the PX. Don't even bother with shower stuff, you won't have time for a shower the first night. And don't bring an electric trimmer or safety razor, they'll confiscate it.
They'll give you a card with money on it to buy all your stuff. They'll make you buy a hygiene bag which contains your combo locks and some other basic items, and everything else will be available to buy separately.
And bring your wallet, personal documents, phone + charger + earbuds, an extra shirt, 1 extra pair of socks and underwear and nothing else (no extra jeans etc., nothing bulky). Anything else will only be a liability.
If you have a little bit of time before you ship out, order an S.O.C. backpack for the few items you're taking with you (3-day pass is a good size). Don't wear a jacket that you can't fit into this backpack.
It'll be useful on family day and you'll end up needing one later anyway. You can't wear most other backpacks in uniform because they have emblems and obvious logos.
>>
>>32268255
Okay so I've been told that they will ring up your family when you're joining the military. The person who told me this in specific is army though I'm personally interested in the navy.

I'm going to be lying to meps and whoever else because of my history, though if they ring family and start asking questions someones going to slip. This is before he got his clearence.

For the record I'm shooting for navy corpsman and my plan b is to just be mp.
>>
>>32298656
Yes
>>
>>32298681
Shit I guess I'm donzo. Do they do this for everyone or only specific people. I didn't know about this.
>>
>>32298656
they didnt call anyone in my family
>>
New thread
>>32299994

>>32299994

>>32299994
Thread posts: 337
Thread images: 25

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.