[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What does /k/ think about refinishing vintage arms in a way that

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 134
Thread images: 20

File: images.duckduckgo.com(3).jpg (124KB, 760x424px) Image search: [Google]
images.duckduckgo.com(3).jpg
124KB, 760x424px
What does /k/ think about refinishing vintage arms in a way that isn't very bubba?

I was thinking about get a yugo mauser and parkerizing the bolt and refinishing the wood in a different way.
>>
>>32262471
Parked finishes look like shit. Blue it or leave it.
>>
>>32262471
what's wrong with how it is?
>>
>>32262471
That's bubba.
>>
>>32262572
Alot of them are in bad shape. I was thinking of getting a beater and cleaning it up.
>>
>>32262882
you can find Yugos in pristine condition. most of them never even saw combat
>>
Unless you can cite a source that says this yugo "mauser" was anything but linseed oil and blued steel. Thats a bubba. Please fuck off to your nearest fudd store for rifles suitable for customization
>>
>>32262949
why did you put mauser in quotes?
>>
>>32262882
There's nothing wrong with your rifle having character.
I personally prefer worn rifles over restored or pristine rifles because to me, restoring is washing away its history.

Rifles ought to be shooters, not safe queens.
>>
>>32262471
No problem at all. I'm refinishing a 1938 Tula Mosin right now. There were scratches and caked-on lacquer all over the place when I got it.
I wouldn't parkerize, though. Just blue it as >>32262493 said already
>FPBP
>>
>>32262471
As long as you blue it and finish it nicely, I don't think it's bubba. These "RIFLE IS FINE" faggots don't realize that things deteriorate over time and need to be maintained. To me it also sounds like they would find it bubba if you restored an old car or something. I wouldn't parkerize just because it won't look as nice but if you wanna refinish an old rifle and make it nice again have at it.
>>
File: XgMHfeW.jpg (89KB, 768x1024px) Image search: [Google]
XgMHfeW.jpg
89KB, 768x1024px
you rang?
>>
File: 1334186656961.gif (6KB, 427x320px) Image search: [Google]
1334186656961.gif
6KB, 427x320px
>>32266479
>OP went full smoker's lung on his nugget
>sissy pad

dude, youre a fucking faggot bro
>>
File: kNQHRBv.jpg (1020KB, 1456x2592px) Image search: [Google]
kNQHRBv.jpg
1020KB, 1456x2592px
>>32266525
Be mad.
>>
>>32266374
You obviously have reading comprehension problems. Op doesn't want to blue and reoil it. The faggot wants to parkerize and poly coat the wood.
>>
>>32266479
Why is nugget growing hair?
>>
>>32266562
hair?
>>
>>32262882
If you insist on refinishing it you need to blue the parts. Don't use polyurethane or some tasteless shit like that. Use the original oil finish.

And don't bother trying to blue the buttplate, it will wear off immediately.
>>
>>32266533
what the fuck did you to do your stock? That shit looks like termites ate it.
>>
>>32262471 KYS
>>
File: 5IJ9VJo.gif (979KB, 500x285px) Image search: [Google]
5IJ9VJo.gif
979KB, 500x285px
>>32267404
>>
File: DSC_3723_noSN4MB.jpg (4MB, 4928x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3723_noSN4MB.jpg
4MB, 4928x3264px
>>32262471
The proper way to refinish is to follow what the arsenal would do to refurbish a rifle.
>>
>>32267434
That's pretty retarded but if you're willing to throw 300 dollars into the wind more power to you.
>>
>>32267446
150, actually a bit less. also suck a dick.
>>
File: photo.jpg (68KB, 514x566px) Image search: [Google]
photo.jpg
68KB, 514x566px
>>32266533
>>
>>32267457
If your rifle was in remotely acceptable shape it would easily be 250 dollars now. Don't get mad just because you destroyed the value of your own property. I'm not the one that trashed your rifle, this was your own decision. I'm just telling you what your decision cost.

I wouldn't pay 50 dollars for your rifle.
>>
>>32267492
Eat shit gaylord it was a spare stock set i had, and even if it wasent what I do to the most common variant of the second most common firearm in the world is none of your damn business, fiscally or otherwise.
>>
>>32267492
You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>32267404
looks like he ran electrical current through it to burn it and produce those patterns
>>
and now its personalized. it has character. it is no longer one out of a jillion, it is one of one.
>>
>>32267506
I don't give a shit what you do. It's not my problem. But you chose to post here. Don't get mad when people shit on your poor decisions.

>>32267517
lol this dude is mad too feel free to keep ruining milsurp it only means my unfucked rifles will continue to rise in value.
>>
>>32262471
All refinishing is Bubba
>>
>>32267660
>You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>32267688
I would say that repairing issues isn't bubba but refinishing for the sake of it is starting to get into bubba territory. Refinishing with poly and parkerizing is firmly bubba.

>>32267692
>You're mad
I'm truly overjoyed that I can make someone so mad.
>>
>>32267722
>You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>32267738
The fact that you're still replying just reinforces how butthurt you are. I'm loving this. This is truly bliss.
>>
File: Kar98kS-147.jpg (1MB, 1080x810px) Image search: [Google]
Kar98kS-147.jpg
1MB, 1080x810px
It depends. I have a Kar98k that had seen a lot of action on the Eastern Front. I bought it and only cleaned the cosmo out of everything, oiled it up, etc. Didn't do a complete strip.

I then noticed that any part where the shellac was chipping away (RC capture), the wood was exposed and could easily absorb moisture.

I then did an entire strip. I found a good 2-3 mm of rust inside the butt plate and a little bit of dirt from the Eastern front. I very thoroughly soaked everything and removed all rust with electrolysis. I used duct tape initially (great at removing shellac) and #0000 steel wool to strip the shitty shellac. Made me pucker at how ugly the stock was and made me question the decision. But I carried on.

I then started coating the stock with boiled linseed oil. The first two to three coats were absorbed insanely fast into the thirsty wood and the rifle looked amazing. But I went ahead and did a good 10+ coats. The rifle now is entirely sealed and has a pleasant grip to it but isn't sticky. It really turned out well. The stock is gorgeous, IMO. You couldn't see the red glue stripes of the laminate due to the shitty ComBloc red shellac.

I then well oiled and greased all off the metal parts and re-assembled. I didn't reblue anything because -- it wasn't broke. Didn't fix it.
In all, I saved my rifle from rot and the metal parts from heavy corrosion/rust. No numbers or markings were damaged or sanded off.

In my opinion, this is definitely okay to do -- if it saves the rifle.

Better to have a repaired and wonderful conditioned rifle in 30 years than to have a rotting original.
>>
>>32262471
>>32267748
This is how you do it OP if you don't want to be bubba.
>>
>>32267766

Also, it's an unmatching RC. The bolt is all matching. But the barrel band is not (latewar band on a 1940 rifle). The receiver is the only thing worth something (an s/147 J&P Sauer & Sohn make, very limited numbers). The Russians stamped the stock matching but I highly doubt it.

In all, not a whole lot of value anyways. I never plan on selling it, it's my childhood favorite rifle and I intend on keeping it until I die.
>>
>>32267738
>You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>32267784
I would say that if anything I would pay more for a carefully repaired RC K98 than one fresh out of the crate. Most of them are in shit condition.
>>
>>32267785
>You're a fucking idiot
>>
>>32267722
I don't count repairing stuff as refinishing. Fixing something like a Crack in the stock can be done with minimal damage to the original finish.
>>
>>32267766
>the wood was exposed and could easily absorb moisture.
No. There were plenty of stock oil left in the wood under the Soviet Shellac.
>I then started coating the stock with boiled linseed oil. The first two to three coats were absorbed insanely fast into the thirsty wood and the rifle looked amazing.
>thirsty wood
The stock oil has only one job and that is to keep out excess moisture. It can't add moisture and keep out moisture like you both claimed.
>>32267766
>I saved my rifle from rot and the metal parts from heavy corrosion/rust.
No, you didn't save it from rot. You just removed a ton of the rifle's history.
>>
>>32267800

I would have said the same until I actually did it. It was actually pretty fun!

I bought it in the Summer from a (ironically enough) Russian friend of mine who had come to America in the 80's. He bought it from a gunshop in NYC (weird, considering NYC had any sort of gunshops then). I guess you could call it a double Russian capture.

He shot it once, ensured it worked and then coated the entire thing in cosmoline and locked it away. One day we were discussing firearms and I told him, "Man, I would do anything for an actual German made Kar98k."

Three weeks later he jokingly said, "Anon, I have an offer you can't refuse."

Sold it to me for $250 with a small case of ammo. I was insanely grateful. Out of my entire /k/ollection, it's my favorite to shoot and would be the only possessionI would grab in a house fire.
>>
>>32262949
The rifles have no historical significance. They were made AFTER World War 2, issued to an insignificant army for a short amount of time before they were replaced with the SKS and AKM. The majority of any service these riles saw was in a shitty home guard unit.

They are great rifles though. Rechamber one in .308 or a fudd caliber like .243 and they are on par with with many newly produced bolt action rifles. I would rather these get bubbad than than a k98k or a Lee Enfield.

I would like to modify one to shoot .308, bed it to a fiberglass stock, mount a good scope to it and turn it into a budget sniper rifle. How does doest hat affect you? Not one fucking bit. Even from a historical standpoint, the rifles had no bearing on the outcome of history. They're good shooters that costs less than a beat to shit Glock.

I hope OP does a great job on his, turns it into something he will be proud of.
>>
>>32262882
When I get an old gun I always restore it a bit but I never go all the way. Part of the reason I buy old ass rifles is because I like the history they have. Just getting rid of it all to make it "like new" kinda ruins it for me.
>>
>>32267835
A stock without oil is going to be fairly dry to the touch I dunno why we're debating this.

An RC mismatched K98k will never be anything but a shooter at best. The value is never going to be huge. Removing corrosion and staving off further damage to the wood is ultimately better.

I would say that in my position though I would have used pure linseed oil to avoid darkening the stock. BLO was not used in that era.
>>
File: XB9uUH.jpg (326KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
XB9uUH.jpg
326KB, 1920x1080px
>>32267835

>No. There were plenty of stock oil left in the wood under the Soviet Shellac.

There may have been but the part of the shellac that concerned me had chipped off long long ago. There was splintering wood near the very end of the rifle and it was incredibly dry. No sense in letting it splinter/absorb moisture/allow it to crack and damage everything else/etc.

This wasn't a Mitchell's Mausers job (for those who don't know, MM completely refinished everything and even renumbers rifles to be all matching). This was a repair and preventative maintenance.
I find it interesting how you speak like you were there for the repairs, lol. Have you posted any images of your own? I've only skimmed the thread and threw in my opinion/experience.
>>
>>32267766
If what you wrote is what you actually did, then the you did good. Any chance you took pics of the progress?
>>
>>32267883

>BLO was not used in that era.

Whoops, I had researched a few Mauser forums and looked at:

http://mauser98k.internetdsl.pl/indexen.html

Where I found several sources saying rifles were often shipped from the factory unfinished and soldiers would often receiver their rifle, take a BLO rag and wipe everything down a couple times.

I didn't notice any darkening but as someone who woodworks, I do know that BLO can darken or yellow wood (depending on how blonde it is).

And absolutely what you said -- this gun is solely a shooter.
>>
>>32267899

Darn, like I said -- I didn't take any images. Let me look around. I believe I took one image on the day I bought it off of my Russian friend who collects them.

Thank you, though.
>>
>>32267835

>you removed rust from a historical rifle
>FUCK YOU, YOU RUINED HISTORY
>>
File: IMG_2683.jpg (1MB, 2250x1215px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_2683.jpg
1MB, 2250x1215px
>>32267883
>A stock without oil is going to be fairly dry to the touch I dunno why we're debating this.
And? You do know that stock was dried out in a special kiln for months to years before being made into a rifle stock? By slathering on more oil you're just putting oil on top of oil. That's how to make a rifle stock gummy and nasty.

>The value is never going to be huge.
The value of them has gone up a lot. Mostly because of retarded Naziboos, but just because something doesn't have a lot of value doesn't mean you should ruin it. Furthermore, all milsurp starts cheap.

>Removing corrosion and staving off further damage to the wood is ultimately better.
You didn't starve off further damage to the wood. If anything, you caused more damage than anything. There are 500, 600 year old plus pieces of furniture that still retain it's ORIGINAL finish. It's the environment that the piece is stored in that preserves a piece. Not it's finish, and certainly not the misguided owners refinishing.

Pic related, it's a Japanese Type 44 that has about 10% of it's stock finish REMAINING because of heavy use. I wouldn't destroy this rifle's history in a misguided attempt to "preserve" it, because I know better.
>>
>>32267907
http://forums.gunboards.com/showthread.php?321884-K98-Stock-Finish

It looks like they used linseed oil and some kind of stain to give it color so the wood under the metal is untreated.
>>
Hey guys, I just destroyed history by painting the handle of my 1971 Sears hammer!

The only reason to keep historical artifacts around is for the sake of knowledge and study. These were mass produced objects with countless examples still sitting around in historically accurate condition. There is no harm to historical knowledge, humanity, or anything but your fetishism to altering them for better contemporary pleasure or use.
>>
>>32267893
>No sense in letting it splinter/absorb moisture/allow it to crack and damage everything else/etc.
It's the environment that preserves a piece, not it's finish. That's what I am getting at. People's overzealous "cleaning" and "maintenance" destroys more collectables than anything else. In fact, there are tons and tons of collectables out there that would be worth a hell of a lot more if people had just left it alone.
>>
File: fall.jpg (1MB, 2048x1536px) Image search: [Google]
fall.jpg
1MB, 2048x1536px
>>32267967

Well, the environment chosen for *my* unmatching RC was to be outside, being shot. It wasn't a collector to begin with and it isn't now.

Sure, I have a nearly M1 Carbine that I've shot 5 rounds through. It's a safe queen because the entire "environment" argument is entirely plausible.

But getting this autistic because I repaired a beater uncollectable is just -- well. Autistic. The same way you don't understand how people won't leave their collectables alone is how we see you. We don't understand why you get so upset when a non-collectable rifle is repaired so it can continue to be shot.
>>
>>32267852
>I would like to modify one to shoot .308, bed it to a fiberglass stock, mount a good scope to it and turn it into a budget sniper rifle.
>budget
you would save money if you bought a brand new Savage or Ruger or Mossberg
>>
>>32267946
I've seen your posts on the milsurp threads already, we've already talked about this. Calm your autism. You're firmly convinced that even cleaning the wood to keep it from leaving stains on your hands is "ruining history". We clearly disagree on what constitutes ruining the value or history of a rifle and that's ok.

But to say that the finish does not protect the wood is absolutely incorrect. The whole point of finishing wood is to protect it from absorbing excess moisture. That's why shellac was applied to your rifle. If your hypothesis was in any way correct all rifles would've been issued with zero finish.

Once the finish is too far gone it's no longer safe to do anything other than leave it hanging on a wall. A rifle is made to shoot. Don't be ridiculous.
>>
>>32262471
Depending on the action, you can redo the blue or parkerization to prevent more rust/restore color.

But the stock should always be left alone. My No1 Mk3 Australian Lee Enfield had a coachwood stock that began to crack as is common for them. It is a beautiful stock. So I ordered a shitty indian drill rifle stock, refinished it and put it on. I'm not afraid to ding it up now and it looks just as good as the original. $50 bucks for the whole stock set.
>>
File: MAS_AdSGNJuly1989.jpg (211KB, 893x1073px) Image search: [Google]
MAS_AdSGNJuly1989.jpg
211KB, 893x1073px
>>32268011
>Well, the environment chosen for *my* unmatching RC was to be outside, being shot.
No, the environment is still an air conditioned house because that's where it's going to be 99.9999% of the time. Just taking it to the range every once in awhile doesn't hurt a piece. Leaving it outside will because as I said, a finish doesn't preserve a piece.

>uncollectable
Just like all those Krags, Springfields, Mausers, Enfields, Arisakas, etc. back in the day? They were all dirt cheap and "uncollectable" at one time.
>>
>>32268043
This is only an option sometimes for the wood. If you can't source a spare stock set your only option is to carefully repair the wood by fixing the crack and refinishing with the original arsenal finish.

>>32268048
My house is unconditioned and humidity is anywhere from 20% to 90% and temperatures from 30 degrees to 90 degrees. Do I just give up on owning milsurp because it can't handle weather that I do every day?
>>
>>32268043
do you have pictures?
>>
>>32262471
As long as the moving parts are well maintained, and the finish still protects the wood, I see no reason to refinish.

I don't think we should be too precious about vintage guns, but equally we should have respect for objects that will outlive us, and that will be passed on to future generations to enjoy and study.
>>
>>32268028
>But to say that the finish does not protect the wood is absolutely incorrect. The whole point of finishing wood is to protect it from absorbing excess moisture.
I didn't say the finish didn't help at all. The military only cares to make a stock last a little bit longer. Just like they don't care if the soldier dies or not, but that gas mask may keep him alive enough to fight longer.

The finish helps in those extreme situations that you'll never have.
>That's why shellac was applied to your rifle.
There is no shellac on that rifle.
>If your hypothesis was in any way correct all rifles would've been issued with zero finish.
Funny you mention it, because some countries have done that. It was often the practice to not blue certain parts, and occasionally not even finish the stock. A rifle functions just fine without a finish.
>>
>>32268069
>with the original arsenal finish.
It can't be original if it's not original. Any collector can tell a refinish from the original finish.
>>
>>32268096
Some parts are not blued because the finish will wear off anyways. Doesn't mean that bluing parts is a bad idea if that was the original finish.

And an unlined carbon steel barrel is also going to work just fine in the jungles of Vietnam, as is a wooden stock right? Because both of those worked out so well?

The reality is that wood went away because it's fucking garbage in harsh conditions and a finish is needed to keep it from swelling and impacting accuracy among other things. Steel is blued, parkerized, and chrome-lined because otherwise it would rust at the first possible chance.

It's one thing to preserve history, It's another to ignore all practicality and adopt penny-wise pound foolish practices that will end up destroying history more than any shellac or linseed oil ever will.

>>32268108
I collect rifles and I can tell you that I gladly paid more money for an arsenal refinished rifle than one with no finish left on the butt and a significant amount of bluing missing. The stock cartouche is visibly faded from the sanding but it's certainly worth more to me with its new barrel than anything else.

If someone wants to pay to do a similar quality refurbishing job as the original arsenal I would still pay more for it than if someone in the name of "muh history" left their rifle to rust and rot.
>>
>>32268108
You can still mimic the original finish to preserve and repair.

Every armorer that got the rifle issued to his armory was expected to keep the thing serviceable. Which includes yearly dunks in the linseed vat.

Researching the correct finish and method is part of the fun.

They were not issued or inspected covered in shit ans grime, that was a consequence of piss poor maintenance and storage
>>
>>32268201
We aren't leaving our rifles in the jungles of Vietnam. Your point is moot.

>It's one thing to preserve history, It's another to ignore all practicality and adopt penny-wise pound foolish practices that will end up destroying history more than any shellac or linseed oil ever will.
Again, there are 600 year old + pieces of furniture that have their original finish intact. A 70 year old piece of wood can last just as long with it's original finish intact. It won't harm to wood to leave it original, overzealous "cleaning" and "preservation" will.
>>32268222
>Every armorer that got the rifle issued to his armory was expected to keep the thing serviceable. Which includes yearly dunks in the linseed vat.
They wouldn't do that yearly, and if they did the stock would get gummy and thrown away in due time. And that's the thing, they didn't care that much about those stocks and the finish, we as collectors do.
>>
Alright, OP here

Here's what I am thinking now.

>Blue the bolt
>linseed oil on the stock
>rechamber into 308
>remove Yugo seal, replaced with Croatian Grb

What would you guys think then?
>>
>>32268201
If you were an actual collector you would want as many unreferbished rifles as you could get your hands on. They are rare and valuable. Paying more for something refurbished or """""""restored"""""" by Bubba stateside is just stupid.
>>
File: DSC_3727_resize.jpg (3MB, 4928x3264px) Image search: [Google]
DSC_3727_resize.jpg
3MB, 4928x3264px
>>32268285
You had me until remove the Yugo seal. Don't grind off metal or stamp it with something else.

Reblue all of the parts that should be blued. The bolt was in the white because bluing would rub off it immediately from use.

Linseed oil is ok. Make sure you clean the cosmoline out by heating the wood to about 150-170F evenly and wiping off the cosmoline that seeps out. It will take a very long time. Have patience.

308 conversion is doable but labor intensive. Do it correctly and get a new 308 barrel, preferably chrome-lined so you don't have to clean the shit out of the barrel every time you shoot corrosive ammo: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1Ufes_zrZmg

>>32268356
Who said I wanted some random person to refurbish the rifle? I'm not going to pay a ton of money for one that has been refurbished by someone random. I've paid much, much more for an arsenal refurbished rifle though because all of these rifles are interchangeable. Condition is what matters. A K98k is a K98k is a K98k. Anyone can make up some story about it, I don't give a shit about the story of a particular rifle.
>>
>>32268384
Unrefurbished rifles are worth more. This is a FACT. If a rifle was not reworked after it was first issued it is more valuable than one that wasnt. Go look at the cost of a refurbished 91/30 versus a non refurb. If you can even find a non refurb.
>>
>>32268384
>I don't give a shit about the story of a particular rifle.
Well, at least you admitted you aren't a collector.
>>
>>32268440
Look at the cost of an unissued K98k if such a thing even exists vs an RC K98k. It is objectively undeniable that condition matters. If you want some beat up rifle with no bluing left and no stock finish go wild. It's not worth more than unissued new old stock.

>>32268459
I'm sorry I don't buy 50 M1 Garands with shitty stocks and deeply pitted receivers. If you want to go buy rack grade rifles be my guest.
>>
>>32268285
You're still ruining a milsurp. Bluing ia minimal damage, linseed oil is period correct ans fine, 308 conversion is understandable but deplorable unless rebarreled, grinding the crest off and somehow attempting to rebrand it guarantees it will never be sold higher than parts value and gets you labeled as a counterfeiter and a faggot bubba
>>
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ysjhRv6Yx04

According some retards in this thread, cleaning the rifle ever is equivalent to this video.
>>
>>32268440
Thats simply because rifles are the new art investment.

The axis arms never had the pleasure if being refurbished post war. M1 garands have a thriving aftermarket for stocks, springs, gas systems ect. Only the safe queen investments are untouchable since they're no longet considered a ridle to owners. Simply an art investment.
>>
>>32268484
You are so fucking wrong it hurts. You want to talk about K98ks? The reason a best up GI bringback is worth more than an RC in better condition is because it hasn't been reworked. You can't claim a reworked rifle is worth more than a non reworked rifle. It just isn't true, no matter what your personal preference is in condition vs originality. You are the one not being objective.
>>
>>32268624
That's because Russians basically bubba-fucked a bunch of rifles with shellac, force-matched parts, threw away the sight hoods, and all kinds of other stupid shit.

Look at K31 values. I guarantee you that an unissued arsenal refurb is worth far more than your run of the mill beaver-chewed bullshit.

It's obvious to me that you view milsurp as art. You're free to view things that way. I don't buy safe queens.
>>
>>32268551
And some people think "cleaning" is the same as sanding and refinishing. It isn't.
>>32268656
>Look at K31 values. I guarantee you that an unissued arsenal refurb is worth far more than your run of the mill beaver-chewed bullshit.
People are buying K31s as shooters, not as collectables. And just because some idiots will pay more for refurbed K31s doesn't mean that they'll pay more for most other milsurps as collectors won't.
>>
>>32268656
Also, those Soviet refurbs on German materials are still history. A shame some collectors don't think of it as such.
>>
>>32268551
Its not just this thread. Go to gunboards or surplusrifles, or any of the specialized forums.

Collectors are usually in one of two camps.

Camp1
All the dirt, oil, grime, rust, corrosion, cracks and dents are "patina" and thus more valuable. They try and find the one with the least amount of defects and mismatched or refurbished rifles are undesirable. Unfired mint rifles are the ultimate collection piece. No rifle will ever get shot, cleaned, or oiled. Will probably buy mummy wrapped rifles and never open them. Pays a premium for ratty original accessories but prefers mint. May have a few "shooter" grades. May have knowledge of repairing/finishing techniques simply to spot undesirables or rare sub variants

Camp2
Collects for the history of the rifle family, fully intends to use the rifle, may participate in shooting matches, reenactments, and hunting using said firearms. May go to great lengths trying to mimic original repair and maintenance procedures, including traditional finishes. Prefers as mint and matching as possible but unfired examples would be a waste of an historical example (it belongs in a museum!) Arms are meticulously maintained, accessories period correct but may be reproductions although not preferred

Sub variants of camp 2
Wants milsurp for the mechanical aspects. Has no issues with mismatched numbers and may "upgrade" components for a better fit.

Bubba camp
Wants a rifle but not that rifle. Makes "improvements" because its his rifle. Doesn't care.
>>
File: fraser 1.jpg (25KB, 650x300px) Image search: [Google]
fraser 1.jpg
25KB, 650x300px
>>32268822
Going to agree with this guy; there's really no wrong way to do it, but different people will have wildly different expectations with what they want out of an antique firearm.

Best advice is to just do what you want with the rifle if you own it, but just be aware of the potential consequences
>>
protip: actual collected would even consider certain bubba'd guns as collectible even. Look at bannerman nuggets. Those are collectible enough that there are people doing fakes.

There was a time when bubbaing was acceptable in the form of "sporterizing", and even now collectors recognize it as such and accept it as part of it's history. Now that there is an actual market though, no serious collector would touch a gun bubba'd in modern days.

The only type of collector that would even consider doing any changes would be a casual self proclaimed collector.

Personally, do what you want. Historic or not, it's your gun and your money. I'm not the one who might be affecting the value of it one way or the other.
>>
>>32267475
sometimes the Japanese have a really eloquent way of explaining things.

just reading that made me feel calm.
but i read most things in morgan freemans voice,
>>
>>32267492
>>32267446
>>32267660
>>32267738
>>32267818

>its a mosin
>worth less than a days worth of work
>new surplus stock is $40
>i spent $40 on dinner last night

seriously you fucking poorfags will cry about anything.

its a fuckin mosin, its historical value is the communists used it in ww2, it was fired maybe 10 times by ten different dudes who all died right before the next guy picked it up.

big fucking deal.
>>
>>32263211

>muh soul of the weapon

cringing irl af
>>
>>32268916
I bought one of those apex crushed m16s and kinda want to to that on it. But im not using gold, the rich bastards
>>
>>32268271
If the rifle wasn't beat to shit and he was doing cleaning and preservation, then your argument would make sense.
However, it wasn't in good condition, and he was making it shoot well.
I'm sick of fucking day/k/are.
>>
>>32268285
>Blue the bolt
why?
>linseed oil on the stock
ok
>rechamber into 308
unless you are a machinist with access to a shop it will cost about as much as a new 1moa hunting rifle
> remove Yugo seal, replaced with Croatian Grb
next to impossible
>>
>>32269180
>being a purist is day/k/are
Back to >>>/reddit/ you go
>>
If it's obvious that the rifle has never seen any sort of service why do people get upset that you're "Ruining the history" by sporterizing a rifle that was mass produced in the 10's of millions.

It's been sitting in a crate for 60 years, you're probably the only person to have fired more than 1 round out of the gun.

I think differently if the rifle has seen combat. But nobody's going to care about how your rifle spent 60 years in a box.
>>
>>32268951
and in 20 years your standard arsenal refurbished Mosin will cost $500 and people will cry about bubbas of the past
>>
>>32269279
they can cry all they want, should have bought them while they were cheap
>>
>>32268951
I was thinking the same thing. Why did it take so long for this to be said?

The fucktards who act like there is something collectible here.

People would buy something like that new if the same method was applied on something modern.

It has an interesting look OP
>>
>>32269299
Well shit, guess I better build my time machine and go back 20 years so I can get in on the cheap milsurp. After all, according to this guy, it's my fault I was 6 years old back then!
>>
>>32269314
That's the plight of buying guns that are long past their prime; it comes with the territory, and anyone who cries about entry cost (which is still relatively low) isn't that serious about it to begin with. It's not like we're talking about one-off prototypes here
>>
File: 854x480_962228.jpg (30KB, 854x480px) Image search: [Google]
854x480_962228.jpg
30KB, 854x480px
>>32269263
It wasn't produced in the tens of millions even if you add up every model of yugo mauser.

Its out of production and made to a high standard beyond what its being sold for.

Why do people get upset with adding rails and plastic furniture to a pre64 Winchester?

Why do people get upset with stancing a 1950s ford mustang?
Because its fucking stupid and a waste.
>>
File: ohno02.jpg (36KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ohno02.jpg
36KB, 640x480px
>>32269309
Because it's a fallacy. People said the very same thing about Enfields, Springfields, Krags, Mausers, etc.

And let's all admit the fact that your average bubba can't understand the difference between a $200 gun and $2,000 gun. Or even a $20,000 gun. I've seen them all butchered recently.

Just your average Mosin, right?
>>
>>32269424
>inb4 Ka3
>>
File: ohno01.jpg (25KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ohno01.jpg
25KB, 640x480px
>>32269424
Wrong.

>>32269423
>1950s ford mustang?
kek. That would be a really rare Mustang ;^^^)
>>
File: 1475046745366.jpg (139KB, 605x800px) Image search: [Google]
1475046745366.jpg
139KB, 605x800px
I feel like there are a lot of people here who kept their toys sealed in the box as children
>>
>>32269263

Because it's this mindset that will lead to $500+ Mosins in 5 years, because "they made so many of them bro!!!1!"
>>
One thing I wanted to mention after reading through the thread, a few things actually:
Any milsurp is a living breathing organism suceptible to the decay of time. At some point one needs to make necessary repairs to preserve it in as original of a shape as possible, particularly those that came somewhat damaged to the collector.
Second thing: I caused a sperg out on /k/ last year when I purchased mummy wrapped no4mk2 lee enfield, last batch of enfields made on the British soil. I promptly took it out of the wrap and took it to the range. People were bitching that I should have kept it in a wrap and buy a 'shooter'. You know where I got that mummy wrapped blonde? From an estate sale on GunBroker. Collector passed away and his family was liquidating all his assets. He bought it 40 years ago never to unwrap it, never to enjoy it. Never cocked the bolt, never felt the pleasure of shooting something previously unshot. Should I have kept it in a wrap as well just to pass it to some /k/ommando 50 years from now? I don't mind hard core collectors one bit but I collect to shoot and enjoy these fusions of wood and metal while meticulously trying to preserve them and if a touch up is ever necessary, to limit myself to what the arsenal would do.
Shit this turned out to be a long fucking post
>>
>>32269509
I'd rather see something used and enjoyed by people than stored in a moist warehouse for 1000 years. Many of the prime historical examples are already kept safely in private collections, so have at it
>>
>>32269520
I'm glad you stood your ground and got to enjoy that rifle for what it was. Just take good care of it, and when you get old, pass it on to someone who will too.
>>
Gonna love it when trump strikes down importation bans and mosins, sks, and oh god so much ammo becomes dirt cheap again
>>
>>32269562
I will protect it with the utmost of care, and hopefully one day someone who feels the same will inherit it in a mint condition
>>
>>32269520
>but I collect to shoot
Then why didn't you buy a shooter? You paid a premium just to remove half of it's value. People were rightfully calling you an idiot.
>>32269565
It won't happen. They aren't banned from import anyways, which I have been telling you idiots every time I see one of your moronic posts. The reasons imports aren't coming in is because the Russians/Ukrainians want too much for them. Why haven't you seen any Soviet Captured and refurbed G41/G43s? They captured a fuck ton of those too. Not just K98ks and the like.
>>
>>32269222
I actually am a machinist.

Although I am unsure how I'll do the rifling.
>>
>>32269520
Once again, refinishing is not a repair
>>
>>32269424
>>32269451
>>32269442
Awww yeah
>>
>>32268984
>cringing irl af
wtf I hate guns with history now!
>>
>>32269259
this
If you're not a milsurp purist, you don't belong on /k/.
>>
File: Arisaka Paratrooper.jpg (46KB, 547x365px) Image search: [Google]
Arisaka Paratrooper.jpg
46KB, 547x365px
>>32269451
>1950s ford mustang
I don't actually know cars. I was just throwing something old and valuable out there. Maybe i should of said Model T
>>
>>32269623
Jesus Christ. I wasn't after a shooter, I was after my own perfect shooter. It's like seeking out a low mileage woman to marry, I want to fuck her eventually not worship the bitch on the pedestal. You know what it is? It's just /k/ being poor and spiteful for not being able to enjoy the nice things as usual. Every time I see a poor fat faggot on the range shooting his beat to shit mosin and ogling my scar, tavor or whatever nice I bring that day I invite them to shoot the shit out of it using my own ammo to their heart's content. This last anecdote made no sense but I'll still post it
>>
>>32270225
You could buy one a 1/3 of the cost and it will still shoot the same, but of course you're a pretentious fag who just wants to pretend he has a lot of money.
>>
>>32269883
you will need to buy a .308 barrel blank and head space the chamber. then turn the barrel down to fit the original sights.
you would be better off just buying a Ruger American or Mossberg Patriot
>>
>>32269299
>lol why u crie about bubba fucking up a Johnson rifle? should have bought one when they were cheap
:^)
>>
>>32270328
Explaining something to an actual autist like you is really just a colossal waste of time. You can't help yourself but latch onto one thing that you can comprehend while ignoring the context and, you know, my personal preference in doing what I want with my private property. I'm sorry for your affliction, maybe one day you'll understand what I was talking about
>>
>>32269623
Value is not an inherent value but imbecile like you won't understand it
>>
>>32268951
Because no matter what you say it looks like someone fucked up the wood. It's possible to tastefully modify a gun. This is tasteless.

>>32270328
>Why can't you just shoot a rifle that is missing half of its finish with a sewer pipe for a barrel?
>>
>>32270328
he probably does have a lot of money, if hes telling the truth
>>
>>32262471
Op you could buy a cheap sporterized one, buy the stock, and finish it how you like. I did that to a No1 Mk3 and it turned out nice with a blonde stock.
>>
>>32271856
You could buy the very same gun that someone else took out of the mummy wrap for 1/3 of the cost. The retard is just trying to justify his purchase.
>>
File: IMG_0241.jpg (937KB, 1536x2048px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0241.jpg
937KB, 1536x2048px
>>32272405
I'm not justifying it, I'm not gonna go bankrupt over $900 that I paid for it. I specifically wanted it pristine for my own pleasure. Only rifle that I don't shoot is this Winchester 94 that I got as a gift and I have it as a nice wall hanger. All my other guns are shot on the regular, that's just their nature. They bring me a lot of joy and im not the one to refrain from enjoying as much as I can until I croak, and then nothing will matter anyway
>>
>>32272563
>Only rifle that I don't shoot is this Winchester 94 that I got as a gift
I'm sorry, I thought "guns were made to be shot?"
>>
>>32272688
It's a special gift, in this case I want that person to be the last one to have shot it. I tend to forget just how autistic this board tends to be, most people here think in absolutes but that's no way to live a life fellow anon
>>
>>32272563
>tfw grandfather's 94 his own dad used to hunt with is going to my uncle because he promised long ago that he'd get it and the shotgun
>uncle now doesn't like guns and was somewhat trashy for awhile
Hate it. He wouldn't really care for it and is more likely to pawn it than keep it I imagine. But the promise was made, and my grandpa's not going to back from his word.
>>
>>32273194
Tell the old badger to live on just to spite the libtard. If he outlives the faggot the promise is null and void
>>
>>32268043
>coachwood

After spending the last half hour of looking at Aussie Enfields because of wanting to know more about coachwood, I realized I forgot how fucking much I love Enfields and how it's disgusting that I don't own one yet.

How easy is .303 to reload? Getting a mkIII is now on the list, and I want one within six weeks lol
>>
>>32262471
Know what's weird? Is that pretty much only in the US is it sacrosanct to keep an old gun as original as possible, even when it's a beater. I know from hearing from Euros in particular that making an old gun nicer is just that, making it nicer. No one gets upset when someone gives their '65 Mustang a new paintjob, but God forbid you make an old Mauser look better.

As far as I'm concerned, keeping the original parts together is the most important part, but if you want the wood to be better protected and the blue to look nice, go ahead. I'll draw the line at an old Adams revolver or something like that though.
Thread posts: 134
Thread images: 20

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.