[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do the Russians still put 23mm auto cannons on the tails of

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 17
Thread images: 2

File: il76cannon.png (146KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
il76cannon.png
146KB, 1280x720px
Do the Russians still put 23mm auto cannons on the tails of their transports?

Is this even a useful thing to have?

Vid and Pic related.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EQI3RPdARdY
>>
>>32248524
I love the sound of auto cannons but that one is exceptionally sexy.
>>
I mean it doesn't look like a bad way to clean up an area with potential insurgents. Provided they don't have an SAMs that is.
>>
>>32248524
It is a good cover for loading cargo
>>
>>32248524
>video
shiiiieeeeeeeet, I honestly had no idea that 23mm autocannons were that potent. That thing seriously ripped shit up
>>
>>32250827
only problem with that is if that they're flying low enough to saturate an area with their 23mm cannon they're flying low enough to be hit with 23mm cannon fire
which is just about the most common AA tier munition that insurgents would have, barring 14.5 MGs
>>
>>32248524
I mean shit, it can't hurt.
>>
>>32251603
This
>>
Like the tail gun that was removed from B-52s, they made sense when interceptors were likely to go for gun kills, back when the aircraft were designed. They don't make so much sense now.
>>
yes, makes plane go faster
>>
The Russians have chaff and flare cartridges for their 23s. I'd guess that they keep the guns on the planes mostly for those and not for use as normal guns.
>>
>>32248524
Nah, they've mostly been replaced by EW equipment from what i've seent.
>>
>>32248524

There's special 23mm ammo that burns extremely hot, magnesium casing.

The tail guns on the Il-76 carry very little ammo, and in dangerous situations, they carry almost exclusively "hot" flare ammo.

Doctrine is that if the gunner sees a MANPAD launch, he shoots at the incoming missile, and hopes it fools the missile into chasing it and not the plane.
>>
>>32253190
Why not get an auto aiming thingy computer thing and shoot the missile?
All it needs is a good short burst, you already know where the missile is going.
>>
>>32248524
The same reason they have bomb sights and bomb pylons. In case shit happens.
>>
File: 1474164850402.jpg (74KB, 763x757px) Image search: [Google]
1474164850402.jpg
74KB, 763x757px
>>32253744
>an auto aiming thingy computer thing
>>>/v/
>>
>>32253744
Missiles are small, fast, and very difficult to hit.

Also, if the missile explodes too close to the plane it can still get a proximity kill or damage from the shrapnel and concussion wave.

Much better to just not let the missile hit you in the first place with EW and countermeasures.
Thread posts: 17
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.