[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is the NRA good to support? I feel like they aren't looking

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 54
Thread images: 5

Is the NRA good to support? I feel like they aren't looking to support the American people but just looking out for the firearm manufacturers. Thoughts?
>>
>>32232539
NRA has tons of good people in it, but it's completely rotten at the top. Nonstop pitches to buy miracle items.

Your local gun clubs are usually where you will find the least bullshit. But sometimes there's an NRA fag who goes to meetings and shriek about how the rest of us are scabs taking advantage of the NRA without paying membership fees.
>>
>>32232876
>NRA has tons of good people in it, but it's completely rotten at the top.

This.
>>
/k/ and /gunnit/ should work together to fill the NRA's board with slavaboos and mall ninjas.
>>
>>32232977
/Thread
>>
The NRA is a pretty good front to get behind as far as lawsuits and things of that nature. You should be mindful of bullshit in any organization though, opportunists are everywhere.
>>
>>32233074
>>32232977
>>32232876
communist samefag

yes, you support the NRA and the GOA and local orginizations.

the GOA will take initiative where the NRA cant or wont due to politics or inertia.

Anyone here who doesnt support the NRA is trying to divide and conquer.
>>
>>32232539
>Thoughts?
They blame mass shooting on video games and La Pierre talks about how gun owners in the USA are going to become Jews in Nazi Germany (i.e. put into camps and killed, which he has actually suggested).

I like what they do, but I prefer to support other groups and go local like >>32232876 said.
>>
>>32233159

"That guy", exhibit 1

>>32232876
> But sometimes there's an NRA fag who goes to meetings and shriek about how the rest of us are scabs taking advantage of the NRA without paying membership fees.

To be completely honest, the NRA is making it easier for the nogunz to marginalize the rest of us. Background checks for mental illness sounds completely reasonable, but the NRA's staunch opposition to that makes it seems like we want guns in the hands of crazies.

We could get so much more pro-gun stuff passed if the NRA would stop pushing the crazier parts of their platform that gives a rallying cry to the gun grabbers.
>>
>>32232539
gib them money around election time to fund their commercials, stay a member all the time if you do competitive shooting (the NRA is still the governing body for most rifle matches, with CMP conducting the US Gov't matches under NRA rules).
>>
>>32232539
No other group in the gun world makes the gun control lobby shake like the NRA. As much as it sucks if you only have a few bucks to piss away, adding another +1 to their membership is one of the best things you can do.

If you have more than the 25-35 bucks to donate, give it to GOA or 2AF in addition to joining the NRA (as mentioned above, just to add a +1 to the membership count).
>>
>>32233430
>Background checks for mental illness sounds completely reasonable,
Except the mentally ill are far less likely to commit violent crime than the general population. Even with the schizophrenics/bipolar/etc, people completely misunderstand the actual conditions and think that they're dangerous, when again, they're actually less likely to commit crime than the general population. In fact, the mentally ill are more likely to be *victims* of crime than the other way around.

>inb4 [insert sarcastic/faux witty response]

http://www.apa.org/news/press/releases/2014/04/mental-illness-crime.aspx

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1525086/

https://depts.washington.edu/mhreport/facts_violence.php

http://www.annalsofepidemiology.org/article/S1047-2797(14)00147-1/fulltext

Absolutely, people who are potentially dangerous shouldn't pass a check, but the fact of the matter is people/the media/politicians focus on conditions and illnesses that they do not understand and which have no actual bearing on a person's violent tendencies. So preventing the vast majority of mentally ill people, who are in no way a danger to anyone, even themselves most often, is simply an absurd attempt at "reasonable" gun control. Not to mention how easily it'd be for a group to change what's considered a mental illness, just go back 40 years and you'd have gay people barred from ownership (inb4 Phil jumps in). Beyond that even, you run into the problem of who determines whether or not you're mentally ill/dangerous on an individual basis. You can just look around and see people who support the 2nd amendment and who want to own guns, afraid of seeking help for fear or being flagged, or worse even people who own guns being fucked over by an overzealous family member reporting them.

I'm not the greatest fan of the NRA, but this is one of the things they have right. If I'm of age and not a danger, I should be able to pass a check, it's as simple as that.
>>
>>32233913
>This
How long until ADHD is declared a mental illness? They seem to be diagnosing 1/3 of kids with it.

The NRA used to compromise about gun control (look we saved you from x and you only lost y). This proved to be a mistake when gun control groups proved they where not willing to truly comprise and more than willing to chip away at gun rights.
>>
File: AnotherNRAbaitThread-1.jpg (80KB, 1323x325px) Image search: [Google]
AnotherNRAbaitThread-1.jpg
80KB, 1323x325px
>>32232539
Yes OP, Join the NRA.

>>32232876
>NRA has tons of good people in it, but it's completely rotten at the top. Nonstop pitches to buy miracle items.

Like who, and what? Wayne is going to retire soon anyway and Chris Cox, who is head of the ILA is probably going to replace him. Also, what "miracle items" are you talking about?

>Your local gun clubs are usually where you will find the least bullshit. But sometimes there's an NRA fag who goes to meetings and shriek about how the rest of us are scabs taking advantage of the NRA without paying membership fees.

If you've ever been a member of a range where NRA membership is required, and the range in some way gets money or resources from the NRA, and you aren't a member then yes, you are a scab. As someone who was a volunteer at a range where this was the situation, it pisses me off to no end when people freeload on range time/services. In general, all gun owners free-ride off of stuff they do anyway.

>>32233332
>They blame mass shooting on video games

When was the last time they did this? When was the last time it was in an official capacity? When Wayne went off the reservation after the Newtown shooting and came out and made comments to that effect he was reprimanded by the board and put on leash for a while.

> La Pierre talks about how gun owners in the USA are going to become Jews in Nazi Germany (i.e. put into camps and killed, which he has actually suggested).

Proofs or it's BS. Knowing how firearms registration was used in Nazi Germany to arrest people that isn't even that ridiculous a concern when it come to things like registries and "universal" background checks.

cont.
>>
Anti-gun lurkers love to come out of the woodwork for NRA threads trying to play the divide and conquer concern trolling game like >>32233430

stay woke
>>
>>32232539
I just support my state's lobby group, GOAL. I think that's good enough.
>>
What have they done for me?
>>
>>32234156
As a person with ADD that thought horrifies me and I can see people using it as an argument.

Oh anon you don't know how to make good choices because you have ADD we just cant trust you with a gun.
>>
>>32235258

>>32233430
>To be completely honest, the NRA is making it easier for the nogunz to marginalize the rest of us. Background checks for mental illness sounds completely reasonable, but the NRA's staunch opposition to that makes it seems like we want guns in the hands of crazies.

Bullshit. Background checks for "mental illness" already exists, and when has the NRA ever officially been against that? Oh yeah, never. Funny the same /k/ that bitches the NRA compromised and helped create NICS now bitches about how we need some sort of background check and how evil and extreme the NRA is.

And you should most certainly be weary of the "mental illness" and "public health" angles pushed by the gun control people. The "hard on crime" angle has been shown to be a sham so now they've moved on to this. It's another excuse to disarm people who never did anything wrong. In New Jersey after Newtown a law was proposed tor require a full psych eval to get a FOID card. It's just another way to either discourage gun ownership or arbitrarily disqualify as many law abiding people as possible from owning guns.

And why should we give a fuck what the opposition thinks? If we played by their rules, we'd all be disarmed by now. If anything, we need to be more aggressive and go on the offensive now that we have a pro gun president and congress.

>>32234156
>The NRA used to compromise about gun control (look we saved you from x and you only lost y). This proved to be a mistake when gun control groups proved they where not willing to truly comprise and more than willing to chip away at gun rights.

THIS.
>>
File: AnotherNRAbaitThread-2.jpg (118KB, 1320x491px) Image search: [Google]
AnotherNRAbaitThread-2.jpg
118KB, 1320x491px
>>32235378

Forgot this.
>>
>>32235366
I also have ADD. It is why I made that argument. I also live in a liberal hell hole state (NJ) and i can see them trying this shit here.
>>
>>32235471
>I also live in a liberal hell hole state (NJ) and i can see them trying this shit here.

They already did/do. There was an attempt to pass a law requiring a psychiatric evaluation to get a FOID. Apparently if you have ever been diagnosed with a mental disorder or illness you were prescribed medication for you need a letter from your doctor to go with your application.
>>
>>32235509
They tried in the past but Chris Chrispy's political aspirations killed that. Now that his political career is as good as over, he may sign a law like that or the next governor (who more than likely is a Democrat) will sign one.

The only reason NJ is not exactly like CA or NY is Christy thought he had a chance at the whitehouse and needed to seem more gun friendly.
>>
NRA is pretty fudd tier. Personally I am not a member but MOST of what they do is good. They just don't quite take it far enough and bend far too easily.
>>
>>32235509
that is some serious bullshit I was prescribed anti depresents when I was in 5th grade because I was sad my parents got divorced and I was getting the crap beat out of me..
Of course I didn't say no to the doctors.. I was a fucking kid now that is going to prevent me from getting a gun and enjoying target shooting.
>>
>>32235565
>not a member but MOST of what they do is good. They just don't quite take it far enough and bend far too easily.

Then join and vote for the board to change what you don't like.
>>
>>32235586
Are there people who believe forced mandatory background checks are unconstitutional ?
>>
>>32235574
>I was a fucking kid now that is going to prevent me from getting a gun and enjoying target shooting.

If it was just for mild depression (or a learning disability as it was in my case) it shouldn't prevent you from doing anything, you just need a note from a doctor saying your condition doesn't impair your ability to use firearms in a safe manner.
>>
Overall, yes. However, they have done some pretty shady shit. Ultimately, they want your money, and money is their first priority followed shortly by gun rights.

They fought tooth and nail to prevent a ruling on the DC case. They'd rather have no ruling at all, and keep peddling their narrative than have the 2nd ammendment win outright.

But right now they are the best we have, which isn't saying much.
>>
>>32235614
>Are there people who believe forced mandatory background checks are unconstitutional ?

I'm one of them. A lot of the younger people who have been running in recent years (e.g. Adam Kraut) are more open to things like repealing Hughes, getting tid of or fixing NICS, etc.
>>
>>32233913
This, nicely stated anon. Usually when people bring up the anti gun thing I try to counter with a more generalized argument by making them realize that...
>if every American had their way, no one would have rights.

Some Americans want to control a womens Uterus, some American's want to make burning a flag illegal (freedom of speech), some Americans want to take away guns (2A), some Americans want to let cops have more power to crack down on crime and have "stop and frisk" and encourage snooping (unlawful search and seizure), some Americans think weed is awful and evil (weed is illegal even though a dope smoker will never do anything to hurt another person generally). The list really could go on forever. And then I try to make them realize that taking rights or introducing new laws doesn't help anyone, finding ways to fix society so people don't want to hurt eachother all the time does. Then I slowly convert them into an anti Fed anti Gov't freedom lover hahahha, and teach them the love for local government.
>>
>>32235574
>Tfw been worse and never gone to doc
>>
>>32235615
combination of minor depression and learning issues.

You know what maybe every one who likes the Kardashian should have to prove they aren't too stupid to breed I think that should be a fucking law.

I am seriously anally annihilated over this
>>
>>32235632
Maybe I'll look into it some more then but I find it hard to believe people who think like me will be given the control and power of the NRA
>>
>>32235634
yeah it was more of school psychologist ask why I am crying ( I had recently got the shit beat out of me by 3 kids and choked out during recess.)
I answered truthfully so instead of punishing the other kids I was referred to a psychologist and put on anti depressants
>>
>>32235628
>They fought tooth and nail to prevent a ruling on the DC case. They'd rather have no ruling at all, and keep peddling their narrative than have the 2nd ammendment win outright.

Bullshit. They were cautious early on because they thought Heller would lose but went on to file an Amicus brief in support of the SAF.
>>
>>32235670
U S A
S
A

Jewdocs
>>
>>32235670
and considering this group of kids frequent sociopathic behavior they were the ones who needed meds...
These meds have fucked me up good I cant really feel my hands any more, and I get shakes and vomiting if I don't take them. The addiction is pretty bad.

But we don't call it an addiction we call it SSRI discontinuation syndrome.
>>
>>32235658
>I find it hard to believe people who think like me will be given the control and power of the NRA

That can only happen if you get involved.
>>
>>32235692
Can you imagine the normie fit tho
>>
>>32235701
>Can you imagine the normie fit tho

If we bent over for the normies we'd never get anywhere. Where's your fighting spirit anon?
>>
>>32235737
Not saying it means it shouldn't be tried just saying they have a fit now just imagine if it was like that.
>>
>>32235710
Yeah the withdrawal is insane.

Within 2 days I am crippled with vomiting and chills. I cant think and can barely speak.

By the fourth day I am wishing for death as my linguistic ability declines to nil as my memory stops functioning.

I stayed like that for 2 weeks when I tried stopping cold turkey
>>
>>32235757
>Not saying it means it shouldn't be tried just saying they have a fit now just imagine if it was like that.

We got Trump elected. We have cultural momentum. We've shifted the Overton window. There's a point where you just have to say "screw 'em" and try.
>>
>>32232539
Yes, they are worth it, but try to steer your donation toward NRA-ILA (the lawyer part of the nra).

If you don't like them, Gun Owners of America and Second Amendment Foundation are worth looking into.
>>
>>32235737
I'm sick of bending over to fit in for other people man. Its bullshit, our cultures idea of a normal person is a self entitled asshole who complains about every one who is different then them.

I always try to be accommodating but shit man I just whish people were into more interesting things, like international politics.
Military and technological development and how they affect doctrine.
Upcoming global issues like resource crunch and over population.

Every one just wants to talk about stupid shit that means nothing..
>>
>>32235565
The card carrying "proud members" are, yeah, pretty Fudd. The younger members who believe in 2A are pretty quiet about it. Pay their dues and speak their minds without bringing the NRA into the conversation. The ones who bring it up that I've met are your typical road apple, khaki vested, know it all, LGS layabotus. They talk shit about the III% or other pro 2A movements but God forbid you smack talk the NRA cause thats apparently the only acceptable way to show gun rights support.

>And the only guns you'll ever need are wood furnitured revolvers, bolt action 30-06, and the Remington 870. Anything else is a passing fad or only fit for gangbangers.
>Women shouldn't shoot anything bigger than .22LR. And only under supervision of a trained range officer. Anything else is too much gun.
>And you can walk in there sporting a Trident and Eagle, Ranger tab, badge with SWAT cert, or EGA and they still nlknow more than your and are apparently also your long lost father, sonny-boy.

These guys are just as bad as the gun grabbers when it comes to reality awareness.
>>
>>32233430
>divide and conquer, exhibit A

tell us more about your "reasonable gun control policies", diane.
>>
>>32232539
I don't support them at all after they let anti-gun ads run unopposed on local tv. They can get fucked, thanks for the gun control, NRA. What did I pay you all those dues for? To sit and go "not my fight"? Fuck you Wayne and the horse you rode in on
>>
why are anti gunners so focused on how many people they can kill with guns the first thing this guy says is "I could do some damage with this." https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tT3cPwV4uTk
>>
>>32235670
Wow. I have feels for u anon.
>>
>>32232539
They're not the best, but they're the ones with the most clout when it comes to stopping shit like AWB, but on the other hand they will probably oppose any mention of easing up import restrictions. So there's good with the bad.
>>
>>32232539
Your feelings have led you to an inaccurate assessment of the situation.
Perhaps you should try thinking next time.
>>
>>32232876

Oh fuck off, you should be a member if you support gun rights.

The NRA was a HUGE help in getting suppressors finally legalized here in Iowa and have helped put a fucking shitload of pro second amendment senators and congressmen in office
Thread posts: 54
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.