[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi. I don't usually post on /k/. I've recently came

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 16
Thread images: 2

Hi. I don't usually post on /k/.
I've recently came across a claim that ancient europeans hunter-gatherers hunted animals by wrestling.

Do any of you know anything about that?
Thanks.
>>
I've never heard of this.

Now I'm no anthropologist, but every account of hunter-gatherer societies I've read/heard is said that their tactics usually involved tracking an animal, maiming it with some sort of weapon (be it a throwing stick, sharpened rock, spear, etc.), and then following it until it died.
>>
That smells like complete bullshit, OP.
>>
>>32223296
This a question for /his/.

K really only gives a shit a weapons and wars from Greece and beyond, and even then, mostly WWII and beyond.
>>
>>32223339
Indeed, that's what I've heard the most before too.
(There's also persistence hunting, where you skip the wonding and just track the animal down by running until it drops dead from exhaustion.)

I have seen statistics claiming europeans score highest in the world on raw physical strength, though. Which hunting by wrestling could have provided a nice incentive for.
>>
>>32223296
i had a teacher in high school that said in scotland many many mooms ago when people were still tribal, they would venture out into the woods nude with nothing and had to kill a stag and wear it back to be the new chieftain.

but thats all i know.
>>
>>32223296

Utter horse shit.

Ancient peoples were a lot smaller than we are today. Yes, per capita they were in better shape than the average person today, but they were a lot smaller, and they had to track and kill WAAAYYYYY bigger prey than exists today.

Any human who tried to wrestle a Saber tooth cat or one of those 2000 lb deer or whatever the fuck they were probably won the earliest known darwin award.

Early humans successfully hunted by group effort, using their wits, and using their ability to make tools to do the dirty work for them.
>>
>>32223389
Or a question for... /prehis/!
Will post there, then, thanks.

(Thought might've been for /k/ because hunting.)
>>
>>32223456
Hunting would be more of an /out/ thing, unless it's specifical about the gun.
>>
>>32223339
Actually Native Americans used to start stampedes and run Buffalo off cliffs.
>>
>>32223339
Former anthrofag here. Ancient modern humans developed atlatls and later bows to take large game.

Another method that might have been used would to walk game down on the open plains. You pick out a young or ill animal out of the herd and cause in to flee. While humans suck for sprinting and running we are quite good at walking. You would simply track animal and continuously cause it to sprint off until it was exhausted beyond the ability to run away anymore.

The closet to wrestling animals for food would be Neanderthals. They used non throwing spears and got up close and personal with large game. Many of their remains show the types of injuries associated with rodeo/bull riders - busted ribs, arms ect. Which is crazy considering how much more robust Neanderthal skeletons were compared to modern humans.
>>
>>32223960
Horses too. They are originally from N America and one theory is that the humans there hunted to extinction for food. That stampeding off a cliff method would/could have used.
>>
>>32223296
>ancient europeans hunter-gatherers hunted animals by wrestling

There is strong evidence (strong to the point of taken as fact but, as with all archaeology like this, there will always be new discoveries that change our understanding of it) of human tool use about 2.5 million years ago.

We're talking ubiquitous, not just one off things.

The first tools were used to chop, bash, or poke holes all of which strike me as more effective than wrestling an animal.

It depends on what whoever was making the claim of wrestling would define as an ancient human living in europe because the understanding and dating of Homo sapiens migration is refined all the time due to new finds and theories.

But, excluding ritualistic stuff like >>32223429 or one off situations like some dude getting caught by a predator while alone innawoods without a spear, whoever made that claim is a fucking moron because a huge part of what makes humans human and has allowed us to get to where we are now is tool and weapon use and wrestling to death prey sounds like a death wish and a really awful idea if you have spears, atlatls, or bows at your disposal.
>>
>>32223426
>(There's also persistence hunting, where you skip the wonding and just track the animal down by running until it drops dead from exhaustion.)
Yeah that sounds like a fucking brilliant plan.
>Waste a half the calories that you get from the meat running after the damn animal all day
>Finally catch the damn thing 7 miles from where you found it so you get to haul it 10 miles back home
>The meat quality is terrible since all the acid in the muscles when it died

With all those great things going for us, why would we ever use weapons or traps?
>>
File: image.jpg (478KB, 1600x900px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
478KB, 1600x900px
>>32224030
I thought the concept of ancient humans sprinting out into the wild after prey was a misconception. That most hunter-gatherer societies simply fished instead of going through the effort of hunting and tracking a beast. But fuck what do I know.
>>
>>32224373
he exaggerates a little. They run and track the animal to exhaustion first, then kill with weapons. It's for large animals so they get way more energy back than they spent chasing it. It's still wasteful though. It seems to be done on plains where there's little way to sneak up on animals for quicker kills.
Thread posts: 16
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.