[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi /k/, mere hypothetical, how reasonable would it be for a

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 52
Thread images: 10

File: inset.jpg (103KB, 1200x630px) Image search: [Google]
inset.jpg
103KB, 1200x630px
Hi /k/,

mere hypothetical, how reasonable would it be for a completely untrained person to take a rifle from an injured soldier to defend against a public terrorist attack?

Is the use of a rifle something that needs a lot of practical training?
>>
Yes you can. If you shoot enough bullets you will hit eventually the bad guy.

There are just 2 questions

1. Have you enough bullets for that to happen?
2. Habe you enough time to fire all those bullets ( you know this whole " they shoot back and try to kill you" thing")
>>
>>32218723
Almost completely unrealistic. Not having at least a basic understanding of the weapon platform means that you may not even be able to manipulate the safety, let alone use the weapon for defense.
>>
>>32218723
Unreasonable.
>>
>>32218741

That's what I was asking for practical training as opposed to theoretical knowledge.

>>32218737

Terrorists probably don't expect civilians to fight back, so you'd have a surprise advantage and surpress them at least, I guess?
>>
>>32218746

I see. Care to elaborate a bit?
>>
Its entirely reasonable that it could happen, but it is far more likely that a completely untrained person that tried would be dropped by either the terrorists or first responders. Dont try to be a hero if you don't know what your doing, just get out of there.
>>
File: image.jpg (246KB, 1024x654px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
246KB, 1024x654px
>>32218723
You could pull the trigger, but that's about it. If the rifle is on safe, needs to be reloaded, a malfunction to be cleared, or anything else, you might not even be able to do that. And that's just shooting the rifle. Aiming using optics or iron sights and the use of accessories like flashlights aren't always as intuitive as you'd think.
>>
>>32218780

What's unintuitive about using iron sights?
>>
>>32218751
>theoretical knowledge
Well...that's quite a bit different. I was going into this thinking that you had never had an ounce of experience with small arms. Even understanding the basic process of aiming and reloading a firearm from video games or youtube would give you a substantial advantage over someone who knows absolutely nothing. That being said, I would still recommend either not even touching the weapon or getting some hands on training.
>>
I seriously doubt a soldier, however injured he may be, will allow you to take his weapon.
>>
File: sightpicture[1].jpg (30KB, 779x188px)
sightpicture[1].jpg
30KB, 779x188px
>>32218791
>>32218791
Trust me, a lot of people will not get irons right without instruction.

t. former range cadre and CCW class instructor

>>32218812
He might not even be conscious in this scenario, but if he is, yeah I completely agree.
>>
File: null_zps9196f920[1].jpg (175KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
null_zps9196f920[1].jpg
175KB, 1024x768px
>>32218760
You just really need to have a basic idea of what's going on with firearms to use them. After seeing how wrong, misinformed, and just blatantly stupid people are about firearms in the public sphere, I have little faith in the layperson to actually effectively defend others with one. If you did grab a firearm, you would be in grave danger. Both from the snackbars and law enforcement.
>>
>>32218791
>>32218791
You'd be surprised at how hard it is for first time shooters to line up the sights. Like anon said, if you have even a vague understanding of the concept it's infinitely better than someone who has zero knowledge.

Why are you asking this btw?
>>
>>32218949

Well I have some minor experiences with hunting rifles and air guns. I know it is not the same, but I never found it hard to adjust your aim to the iron sights.

I am just asking out of curiosity. I will attend my gf at christmas in France where there are already several foreshadowings of planned terrorist attacks and I always wondered if hypothetically more vigilance on part of European civilians, instead of being slaughtered like cattle would do the situation any good.
>>
>>32218993
>I always wondered if hypothetically more vigilance on part of European civilians, instead of being slaughtered like cattle would do the situation any good

Certainly, but part of that vigilance would have to be an understanding of the weapons being used. It sucks for me to talk about this on some level because I do feel bad that there often aren't any real means for the French, Germans, and others to defend themselves. A friend of mine had a family member who was killed in the 2016 Nice attack. I really WANT to say, 'fuck yeah, take those motherfuckers out', but that just seems like foolhardy advice. If you are backed into a corner, do grab a gun to defend yourself. Do something, anything besides becoming a victim.
>>
>>32219062
>Certainly, but part of that vigilance would have to be an understanding of the weapons being used.

Well, in case I haven't made my question clear so far, that's what I wondered: Can you do that exclusively with theoretical methods, since practical experience is basically out of the question?
>>
>>32218723
prepare to get shot by another soldier as soon as he see's an un-uniformed person firing a weapon
>>
>>32218723
>mere hypothetical, how reasonable would it be for a completely untrained person to take a rifle from an injured soldier to defend against a public terrorist attack?

a completely untrained citizen wouldn't even know how to take the safety off, but it sure as shit beats dying on your knees pleading for your life
>>
If you're defining "completely untrained" as someone who's never even played a video game in their life, then completely unfeasible.

If "completely untrained" is a guy who's played CoD a few times, he probably knows enough to shoot whatever's left in the present magazine and turn off the safety.
>>
>>32218993
my practice with bb pistols taught me how to use notch and post
and that transfers quite well to using proper pistols and carbines
but rifles require tension between cheek weld and shoulder and better posture overall .esp if one try for distances over 100 meters

>>32218838
also there is the problem of not knowing how the gun is sighted or what the distance of its zero is
>>
File: GIGN4_Domenjod_160316.jpg (537KB, 1258x1081px) Image search: [Google]
GIGN4_Domenjod_160316.jpg
537KB, 1258x1081px
>>32219093
Yes, to some extent.

French police and counter-terrorist forces use the MP5 submachine gun and the HK 416 assault rifle.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=d_VEbCalS5I

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q-GP80BhfXs

Their pistols are almost always Glocks, which is one of the simplest firearms to use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lqiCl3dI3bg

Terrorists in France have typically smuggled in AK pattern rifles to kill innocent civilians who are minding their own business eating a fucking baguette.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_YYnP6ueWHw
>>
>>32218780
I really like the one on top in that pic
>>
>>32219161
>and turn off the safety
some guns are a little weird about this and have the levers and buttons in unexpected places
or have interrupts that prevent the movement of the bolt or magazine
non reciprocating charging handles might also dumbfound
>>
>>32219173

Thanks for the interesting data. I could swear the French soldiers patrolling Straßbourg always wore bullpups, possibly FAMAS I remember them looking like the Steyr AUG A1 more like though.
>>
>>32219202
Regular French soldiers do use the FAMAS. I was talking more about the ones who would be storming a building. It couldn't hurt to find out how the FAMAS works.
>>
>>32218723
If "untrained man" has played some FPS games or watched some action movies, he should at least be able to find the bang switch and the cocking handle. Maybe even the magazine release. Any common sense and he knows to take some form of cover, although he may not be able to tell good cover from bad. And finally, if he thinks to grab a weapon, he probably at least understands to point in general direction of the enemy and fire. He won't do very well. But it's better than standing around waiting to die.
>>
>>32219218

These will be the first at the scene, they are deployed there since novembre arround central conjunctions walking up and down the streets.
Thanks for the information so far.
>>
>>32218751
I don't think my girlfriend for example, would be able to shoot a gun in said scenario despite having a decent basic understanding of how they work. Fear and adrenaline would override her knowledge.
>>
File: 100-Deadly-Skills-image.jpg (130KB, 754x1180px) Image search: [Google]
100-Deadly-Skills-image.jpg
130KB, 754x1180px
>>
>>32219251

I'd try to get slightly drunk, cool down my system and fear in case of some terrorist attack happening. Believe it or not it sometimes helps thinking more rational in adrenaline fueled situations
>>
>>32219251
also without regular practice its easy to fumble the movements if you are not looking
>>
File: wfWNiTK.png (506KB, 876x1390px)
wfWNiTK.png
506KB, 876x1390px
>>32219261
More relevant?
>>
>>32219265
"Hold on fuckers, I need to get pissed first"
>>
>>32219261
>VIOLENCE OF ACTION
>TEMPO
>>
>>32218723
>Is the use of a rifle something that needs a lot of practical training?
You can go from utter novice to reliable hits on a man-sized target at 400yds prone in a weekend of Appleseed training, so no it doesn't need a lot.

But it does need at least SOMETHING.
>>
>>32218723
i had a nigga boo try to shoot me but he didnt put a round in the pipe. Also the cop said the safety was on
>>
What about someone who had extensive military training with a certain wepaon plattform (e. g. G36)
and he gets his hands on an Ak, AR, Galil etc.

I suppose i could figure in some minutes how it works, flip the safety off, malfunction drill. ic ouldnt take it aapart of course.
>>
>>32219675
if you had extensive military training, you were most likely trained to operate any firearm you are likely to encounter just in case
>>
>>32218838
What the fuck is up with that 'target too high in sight picture'? How the hell can a target be too if the post is in the right position? All they've done in the pic is extended the length of the post.
>>
File: 1477568179084.png (82KB, 253x255px) Image search: [Google]
1477568179084.png
82KB, 253x255px
>>32219694
>if you had extensive military training, you were most likely trained to operate any firearm you are likely to encounter just in case
>>
>>32218905

>ar-15 shotgun

Be still, my throbbing cock.
>>
>>32219694

Nah, just normal Airbrone for several years.

it was always the other companys or some fresh recruits that got to shoot with the us so they sign up for several months.

they knew WE couldnt or wouldnt leave. fucking assholes.
>>
>>32218723
>completely untrained person
A completely untrained person can't do shit with a weapon, but even basic understanding, even from Nerf or Airshit will increase your chances drastically.
>>
didn't most of the terrorists in the paris attacks kill themselves as soon as they were shot at by police?

if so i'm pretty sure anyone who can figure out how to pick up an AK, point it in the direction of the terrorists and fire could get the terrorists to kill themselves, even if they didn't hit
>>
>>32218741
this is not entirely true, i have know people who were naturals, picked up a bb gun or rifle for the first time and hit everything they shot at. it's going to vary widely from person to person but guns aren't all that complicated and you'd be astounded at how good some people can be the first time they touch one.
>>
File: ats_ar_15_12_gauge_shotgun-tfb.jpg (151KB, 900x675px) Image search: [Google]
ats_ar_15_12_gauge_shotgun-tfb.jpg
151KB, 900x675px
>>32219784
>>
>>32218791
It's still hard for me to focus on the front sight instead of trying to see my hits on target
>>
>>32219724

the top post isn't centred in the middle of the rear sight(it is too high) thus you haven't lined up the front and rear sight thus you will miss and look retarded
>>
>>32222251
>the top post

*the top of the post
>>
>>32218723
its unreasonable
..any tool requires practice for basic proficiency
>>
>>32218723
Depends on the rifle.
Thread posts: 52
Thread images: 10

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.