[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Are blackpowder guns the utimate SHTF survival weapons? You

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 4

Are blackpowder guns the utimate SHTF survival weapons?

You can make all the ammo, even caps, yourself so you can survive innawoods indefinitely
>>
>Are flintlock guns the utimate SHTF survival weapons?

Fixed that for you.
>>
Powder takes a long time to make (urine and shit needs to be kept in a bucket for about a year); caps are out of reach for stuff you can get from the wild. Flintlock or matchlock are what you can make.

However, homemade flatbows/longbows would be the best, as everything is readily available for use, and a 60 pound selfbow will kill anything on the planet
>>
The ultimate SHTF survival weapon/tool combo is the brain. Even the gear that would make seals moist won't help you if you're a dumb fuck. Use your brain, the rest will follow.
>>
>>32218007
Go out to a flower bed. Turn the dirt over. That white stuff is saltpeter.
Now collect as much as you can and go soak it.
Strain out the plant matter and let the water evaporate.

http://www.salt.org.il/frame_saltpet.html
>>
>>32218007
You can shortcut it with chicken shit but you need a decent amount of chickens.

An ammo can full of primers and a couple dozen pounds of smokeless will be far more sensible to have if you have an ounce of foresight.
>>
>>32218036
my brain tells me that you don't know what you're talking about. I'm going to have to believe him.

>>32217997
I was considering making a flintlock, and trying to load it all with stuff in my backyard. sounds like a lot of hard work but could be fun to take a durr with backyard scraps.
>>
>>32218044
Sorry. A mulched flower bed! The white stuff will be on the mulch under the top layer.
>>
>>32218052
>my brain tells me that you don't know what you're talking about. I'm going to have to believe him.
Go ahead. I'm just worried a little bit since you refer to your own brain as 'him'.
>>
You'd be better off just stockpiling rounds and some extra parts (barrel, extractor assembly, firing pin) for your rifle of choice.

And honestly you're better off having .22LR and bird shot around because it's what you're going to need way more of.
>>
I think op is referring to a time with out manufactured ammunition.

If it comes to that we'll all likely be long dead. So teach your kids!
>>
>>32218067
You need to learn to into trapping if you are planning on getting a bulk of your calories from innawoods
>>
>>32218061
as opposed to it, or her? Referring to my brain in third person is a play on your choice of words.
>>
So many /k/ommandos with SHTF survival wet dreams...
If it ever happens, innawoods is gonna be filled with neckbeard corpses just waiting to be looted :)
>>
>>32218215
I get comfy dreaming of collecting their patches
>>
>>32218007
I agree that a bow is your best, easiest bet, but if we're discussing the best SHTF weapons and the original example is black powder rifle, we can go with a store-bought bow.

I'd be curious to see how the current crop of "survival" bows compare long-term to a decent recurve. Their main advantage seems to be small storage size.
>>
>>32218007
Or you can get saltpeter from fertilizer - just buy a big bag and it should last you the rest of your life. You also don't need sulphur, it just lowers the ignition temperature.

Obviously this assumes some amount of prep - but the gun isn't going to build itself. For a completely scratch build no prep SHTF, bows are the only realistic choice.
>>
>>32219297
OP's scenario wasn't do it yourself, at least not the initial weapon. As far as I can tell, he was talking about keeping an existing weapon working and supplied.

Even then, I'd rather make arrows than powder and projectiles.
>>
>>32218081
Seriously, beaver are easy as hell to trap and are thicc with meat.
>>
>>32217997
>you can survive innawoods indefinitely
No you can't. For multiple reasons.
>>
File: st-louis-hawken-rifle-kit-main.jpg (65KB, 1200x400px) Image search: [Google]
st-louis-hawken-rifle-kit-main.jpg
65KB, 1200x400px
>>32217997
I've thought about building a blackpowder muzzle loader from a kit as a SHTF rifle.

Building it from a kit would help me understand better how to fix it if anything ever breaks on it in the future.

I was thinking about a flintlock since finding some flint in most places is going to be easier than making caps. But ultimately I think I would try to rig up the rifle with a piezo igniter.

I would also consider a smooth-bore since I've read that you can get farily accurate up to 100yrds with them provided that your ball is the right size for the bore.
>>
>>32219685

Smoothbore would be handy in that you've got shot for small game (much better pattern than rifled anyway), and a patched ball will be fine to 100 yards on deer and such.

Buying a heap of powder and caps and storing them in a dry and cool placeshould keep them functional for a lifetime.
>>
>>32219319
I think perhaps then one good application of black powder is prepping in nogunz places - where I live for example, guns are heavily regulated, but black powder is not. E.g. it is illegal to own or buy more than 200 rounds of any one type of ammo.

I'm in a white minority country so the most likely SHTF scenario is a black against white genocide/civil war. The likely defense scenario would initially be a boarded up house, or a basement.

I can see black powder rifles as a useful tool for prepping for this kind of situation, seeing as I could make guns and ammo myself. The most difficult thing would probably be barrels, but that should be possible with the right steel pipe.

But perhaps shooting is overrated for stuff like this, I think it's far easier and more devastating to make chemical weapons.
>>
>>32219685
Any info on the piezo igniters? Always had fantasies of building guns using the little clicky stuff in lighters when I was a kid.
>>
If things somehow ended up that people were living wild for several decades or even centuries (unlikely to remain that dire for so long), then guns would be reserved for the lucky and the warlords. It's simply too much work and resource intensive for modest firepower, which will probably break after 1 shot because you aren't a gunsmith with a forge and fresh metal available.
>>
>>32219966

You can make a functional and relatively reliable fuse ignited shotgun with steel piping and improvised powder fairly easily.

The steel piping isn't going anywhere.

Combustion is a pretty simple science.
>>
>>32219945
I've never actually tried lighting black powder with a piezo igniter but I think you would need a very fine powder for it to work consistently.

And rigging up the hammer to squeeze the igniter instead of just dropping on the cap/pan shouldn't be too difficult.
>>
>>32219945
There was a guy who used nuts and bolts, crushed match heads, and a AA battery to make a shotgun with some simple metal tubes.
>>
>>32220453

Match heads make a decent powder, though you need quite a lot; I'd rather keep them for fire starting purposes and use fertilizer to get propellant (ethanol speeds the process way up there).
>>
>>32220453
Quick. How many fingers do you see?
>>
Apparently, making primers isn't that impossible:
http://aardvarkreloading.com/resources/Homemade%20Primer%20Course%20Update.pdf

But maybe flintlock is more appropriate in the long term.
>>
>>32220564
True but I was mostly saying it for the factor that an electrical arc can ignite it. So I'm more than betting a spark from a lighter can.
>>
File: IMG_1163.jpg (100KB, 691x481px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1163.jpg
100KB, 691x481px
>>32220982
On a flintlock, the frizzen folds down over the pan to keep your powder fresh m falling out. To fire, you cock the hammer back, which has a clamp to hold your flint, then you fold the frizzen up so that when you pull the trigger, the flint scrapes along the metal frizzen and creates shards of molten metal and sparks which fall into the pan and ignite your powder. If your gun is working correctly, that ignition travels down the touchhole and ignites the primary charge in the barrel and expels the patched ball therein.

This is what gives the flintlock it's characteristic click-shizzz-kawoom! Muzzle signature. I mean, you could just take a bic lighter and flick it next to the pan and set one off. Before flintlocks, musketeers just carried lenghts of lit rope and jammed them into the pan. To dick around with a dollar store lighter would be kinda silly.... just go to trackofthewolf dot com and buy extra flints.
>>
>>32218007
Just cut up rolls of film (you know, the analogue kind) in thin strips.
They call that Khyber-cordite.
>>
File: matchlock.jpg (320KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
matchlock.jpg
320KB, 1920x1080px
>>32218001
matchlock master race
>>
>>32221177
How many male sexual organs can you fit in your oral orifice at the same time?
>>
>>32221222
haven't tried yet
>>
>>32219926
>white minority
Germany?
>>
>>32219926
>black powder rifles as a useful tool for prepping for this kind of situation

you're gonna want like a bunch of smoothbores if you're in it for home defense mate. You can load them faster than rifles.

The idea is to have a load of people all reloading, and one or two people doing the shooting.
>>
>>32219966

you can literally make cannons out of wood.
>>
>>32217997
>Are blackpowder guns the utimate SHTF survival weapons?
After hunting with even a modern muzzleloader using 209 primers for years, are you out of your mind?
Using self contained cartridges with sealants at the bullet/primer in a bolt action or durable semi auto plus a few spare parts like springs will kick the shit out of a muzzle loader.
Enjoy your corrosive powder that you need to use a fair amount of per shot, loose loaded powder that can absorb moisture over time in your gun or elsewhere if not sealed 100%, priming methods like caps that are easily turned into a terrible mess in your breech plug by a raindrop or snowflakes, slow shooting even with speedloaders, more tools than you should realistically need required to actually clean any gun properly. I'm sure I could think of more too.
>>
>>32221244
I suggest you do and report back.
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.