[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Just realized that bullets can become unsafe or unreliable if

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 4

File: image.jpg (48KB, 540x511px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
48KB, 540x511px
Just realized that bullets can become unsafe or unreliable if you chamber and unchamber the same bullets too much

How do I know which ones are worn out? I have some in mags but the top ones might have been chambered like 10 times each
>>
Calm down, it's fine. Unless there's a horrendous gouge mark or marring to the rim they'll be alright.
>>
>>32216075
look at the back of the bullet for little indents. or alternatively just go out and shoot the fuckers.
>>
You are afraid of bullet setback... Just measure them or line them up next to fresh rounds to make sure the old ones aren't a lot shorter.
>>
>>32216098
They're like 50cents each so I don't want to

So I gotta measure and inspect them all? How many times chambering does it take to fuck them up and what happens do they just ftf?
>>
File: setback_9mm.jpg (229KB, 1024x799px) Image search: [Google]
setback_9mm.jpg
229KB, 1024x799px
The bullet will be visibly too far back. Get a round fresh from the box and compare.
>>
>>32216180
Thanks anon I'll look at them
>>
>>32216075
>bullets can become unsafe or unreliable if you chamber and unchamber the same bullets too much
So quit doing that.
>>
>>32216075
You know what's really bad for your gun?
Leaving bullets chambered for too long.
My cousin told me that you can actually wear out the chamber because shells expand and contract in heat and cold.
Storing mags loaded is much the same thing.
Don't listen to >>32216092
>>32216134
>>32216180
These things will RUIN your guns
>>
>>32216206

uh, dummy, if things expand and contract in heat and cold that means the gun expands and contracts to so it's okay
>>
>>32216161
Pressure spikes as you lose case capacity and then your hand turns into hamburger maybe... Just rotate the chambered round to the bottom of the magazine each time you unload it. It probably would take a bunch of cycles to get enough setback to cause harm though.

https://youtu.be/w6PAmKLUcbc
>>
>>32216236
don't mind him, just a troll
>>
>>32216206
dude you're not even funny
it's just shit
get a healthier hobby
>>
>>32216236
>I don't understand metallurgy
My cousin is a scout sniper. He would know these things. You clearly don't.
I just don't want OP to ruin his guns and suffer from terrible accuracy
>>
>>32216280

>metallurgy

bullets are made of metal too, smart guy
>>
>>32216309
>not an argument:the post
don't you have a ylyl thread to go cancer up?
Friction is a thing
Metal galling is a thing
Expansion and contraction during temperature changes is a thing
Not sure what the problem is here
>>
>>32216180
Holy shit, this is from chambering and unchambering?? That's fuckin wild
>>
>>32216344
Yeah. It takes quite a few chamberings to do that as long as nothing is wrong with the ammo. Rarely some factory ammo will have a weak crimp and be more prone to setback. Weak crimps are more common with home reloads though.
>>
>>32216180
>manlets, when will they learn?
>>
Reporting in, can confirm:

If you see any scratches on your fucking bullet casings you are definitely going to have problems later on
>>
Switched my chamber round out on my nightstand gun just last night actually.
Like others have said compare to fresh rounds to check for setback, visibly check for gouging, and also check to make sure the rim isn't too chewed up. For longevity obviously try to avoid popping it in and out as much as possible, and I also like to physically drop it in the chamber and then drop the slide if I do have to re-load it. Being chambered from the magazine is an extremely violent process and will significantly shorten how long the round is viable if done multiple times.
>>
>>32216517
>I also like to physically drop it in the chamber and then drop the slide if I do have to re-load it.
RIP anons extractor
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
These are all good then probably right? Some of mine have a visible ring from being tight on my steel mag or marks by the rim on them though, none have looked super set back yet though, am I good?
>>
>>32216537
yeah, looks fine
>>
>>32216529
I thought that was only an issue with internal extractors?
>>
>>32216537
yeah that looks totally fine
>>
>>32216075
you are now aware that headspace is a thing and that your bullets will not be pushed back into the case unless they were way to far forward to begin with
>>
In my experience, it's as dependent on the gun as it is the ammo. I used to have a 1911 that would absolutely SAVAGE bullets that were chambered. Visible setback on one chambering, which really blows my mind. Other 1911's and guns in general that I've had did not have this issue, but it is "a thing."
>>
>>32216645
You are now aware that your knowledge of what headspace is and how it affects bullet setback is faulty.
>>
>>32216206
>My cousin told me that you can actually wear out the chamber because shells expand and contract in heat and cold.
>>
>>32216340
How do you manage to sound like a moron even when you're right?
>>
>>32216529
Good point actually, I may switch things up. I'd much rather shell out for new rounds more often than for an extractor for a S&W 5904, which of course they finally discontinued parts support for a couple years back.
>>
>>32216280
My dad works at Microsoft
>>
>>32216529
I do this. What does it do to the extractor? Is it bad?
>>
>>32216673
it is the distance between the bolt face and the part of the cartridge that stops the forward movement of the cartridge. usually the rim, shoulder, or mouth. ie the projectile should barely touch the rifling.
>>
>>32216701
What does it do to the extractor? :O I do it because I'd rather throw a loose bullet in the chamber instead of chambering one on the mag and then fighting the magazine spring to get the top one in
>>
>>32216746
It has nothing whatsoever to do with where the projectile sits. Headpsace is simply between the casing and the chamber and also is not a good basis of what stops the cartridge, most are stopped by body taper before reaching the headspace datum line.. Freebore/leade/throat and COAL are what effect bullet position and again nothing really to do with setback.
Setback occurs from bullets impacting the feedramps and chamber walls during feeding. Some feedback is also from recoil during firing.
>>
>>32216766
Forces the extractor to pop over the rim at an angle it wasn't designed to.
>>
>>32216808
I've done it probably like 20 times on my Shield and my G19. How do I know if i fucked them up?
>>
>>32216819
If the extractor breaks.
Most parts like that are designed to take at least some abuse, just not as a regular thing because it adds up
>>
>>32216794
headspace is literally the measurement between the bolt face and what stops the bullet from moving forward but i never considers the projectile being pushed back from the force of the feed ramp and chamber walls.
>>
>>32216875
Headspace is literally a measurement from the bolt face to a datum line. The datum line is not necessarily where the cartridge is stopped in the chamber especially in necked, belted, or rimmed cartridges.
Most factory pistol brass is actual a little short so does not contact the chamber lip but is instead held by the xtractor.
>>
Fire that mag off. Don't save brass.

Reload your shit. Don't cycle rounds all the time playing with your gun, it's not your dick.

If this comes from reloading too much, get good at being able to inspect your brass before reloading.
>>
>>32216075
They'll be visibly fucked. Compare them to nonfucked rounds to see if the spacing is off. If it's just off by a little it should still be safe to fire. It's only an issue if it's crunched way into the casing or falling out of it.

You shouldn't be chambering and unchambering so much, and shoot your defensive loads once a year or so and swap them out.
>>
>>32216075
unless you're using +p+ ammo that started off way out of spec pressure, then you probably aren't going to hurt your gun shooting something that has been set-back a couple tenths of an inch.
>>
>>32216236
To be fair different materials behave differently in regards to thermal expansion.
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.