[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Who was the best sniper of all time? What they should be graded

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: 1479180551866.jpg (42KB, 344x344px) Image search: [Google]
1479180551866.jpg
42KB, 344x344px
Who was the best sniper of all time?

What they should be graded on
1. Kills
2. Tactics
3. Discipline
4. Leadership

My vote is to Carlos Hathcock, USMC in Vietnam. He had 93 confirmed kills but hundreds of unconfirmed.
>inb4 unconfirmed doesn't count.
Lets look at his weaponry, he primarily used a Winchester mod. 70 in 30-06. This cartridge even with a non lethal kill would more than likely result in death after a day or so simply because of the VC and NVA's lack of modern medical ability and the environment being full of bacteria's that would fuck you over with much more than a scrape. His other main preferred weapon was the M2 browning 50bmg with a scope. Not much needs to be said about the stopping power of the 50 bmg.

His tactics and discipline were superb, he was able to crawl hundred of yards over the period of a few days with foot patrols coming within spitting distance of him, successfully taking out a Vietnamese general and doing a successful exit afterward. What other instances can you give me of a sniper taking out a general surrounded by soldiers with only 1 shot.
He really started the age of the sniper in the US military as a force multiplier.

When it comes to leadership he was really second to none, He trained dozens of US sniper that turned out to be highly successful, the only other one that died in combat was John R. Burke who did not die as a sniper but was taken out while his compound was being shelled.

Other accomplishments-
Holding down hundreds of Vietnamese soldiers for hours with the use of overhead flares to illuminate the valley.
Taking out multiple HVT's such as that squad of girls with machine guns, that cunt that tortured US soldiers, skinned em, cut their balls off, etc. And a handful of other accomplishments.

His career was ended by a troop transport he was on being shelled, he got out but jumped back into the fire to save other marines who were still in the truck, this caused him to sustain multiple serious burns all over him.
>>
>>32208908
Love Carlos, but gonna have to give the best sniper award to Simo Hayha.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Simo_H%C3%A4yh%C3%A4
>>
>>32208908
The troop transport was not shelled, it hit an IED. I'm sorry about my autism.
>>
>>32209079
your good I haven't read the book in awhile
>>
>>32209008
why? carlos had a similar number of kills when you include unconfirmed and had other better accomplishments than just controlling an small area for awhile? Simo was obviously an amazing sniper but was not as skilled as Carlos
>>
>>32208908
I would say Simo Häyhä

1.Kills
Depending on which source you read it is between 250 and 705, the official number being 505. In a bit over three months. Even considering that it was a target rich environment one must admit that it is a huge number.

2. Tactics
He pioneered winter sniping tactics, many of which are still in use to this day. He also fought with an SMG and an LMG, but more so with his rifle. His tactics varied from actual modern style POV hunting, some light anti-material sniping, pseudo-DMR stuff to recon.

3. Discipline
-40F, snow, dark, shellings, personal kill order from the Russian high command... Simo gave zero fucks and stalked his prey.
He was shot in the face with a mosin but he survived.
Sabaton made a song about him.

4. Leadership
Simo never lead or taught that much, he was more of a lone wolf the military used when needed. Pretty much a single-man force multiplier.

The man took part in Finnish sniper competitions all the way into the 90s. Nowadays the most respected Finnish sniper competition is named after him.

Naturally, this does't mean that I don't respect Hatchcock. On the contrary. But if I'm forced to choose one, it will always be Simo.

Also, when I was a kid my grandpa took me to see Simo. I didn't know who he was at the time, but I remember my grandpa saying afterwards in the car "You may not know it yet but that is the greatest man you will probably ever meet". Oh and Simo gave me ice-cream.

He truly was small in stature but a giant in spirit.
>>
>>32209220

Simo didn't need an optic

He also had quite a few kills just skiing around with a Suomi
>>
>>32209220
Simo didn't have an optic. He trained to be effective with an iron sight rifle, carlos trained to use a scope. They used what they knew, had carlos knew he would be more effective with irons he would have used irons. Simo would have used a scope if he knew it aswell as irons
>>
>>32209311
>simo gave me ice cream

.....you lucky fuck...
>>
>>32209220
They were both skilled but they used different tactics in very different environments. Their skills are not very compareable.

Btw. Simo racked his 500 in less than 100 days. And the unconfirmed/SMG/LMG kills on top of that.
Not saying he was a better sniper, just saying the situations were very different.
>>
>>32208908

In terms of hitting high-value targets, Oswald is the clear winner.
>>
>>32209311
Let's also remember how Simo would eat snow constantly so his breath wouldn't be seen and also how he would just down counter-snipers like fucking flies.

Simo was a badass.
>>
>>32210509
The snow things doesn't really work too well (I'm a Finn and have tried it many a time). First off there is always some vapor when you breathe even with snow. Secondly after a while it will fuck up your mouth. It is way more effective to just breathe through couple of layer of torn fabric. That way you don't lose heat and don't have to eat snow, also it prevents the exhale vapors better especially when the outer fabric collects enough ice.

The 'pouring water from his canteen on the snow in front of his FFP to prevent a snow 'dust signal'' is a real thing he did, though.
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.