[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Newbie question: I'm a translator and I'm translating

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 14
Thread images: 3

File: oCE6qxv.jpg (216KB, 994x900px) Image search: [Google]
oCE6qxv.jpg
216KB, 994x900px
Newbie question:

I'm a translator and I'm translating the following phrase,

"There's a round in the chamber, so just pull the hammer back and it's ready to fire."

A character is teaching another character to fire a gun. My question: are "rounds" and "bullets" are the same thing here? Can I translate "round" as a "bullet"?

Thanks, guys.
>>
>>32198815
Yes.
>>
File: rim-centerwww.gunclassics.com .jpg (42KB, 350x330px) Image search: [Google]
rim-centerwww.gunclassics.com .jpg
42KB, 350x330px
>>32198815
>>
>>32198822
>>32198831
Thanks, guys!
>>
Generally yes, technically no.

The bullet is technically the projectile, but a round (cading, powder, pirmer, & bullet) can be referred to as either a round or a bullet and no one will question.
>>
>>32198815
theres a couple issues with this not in your translation but in the very concept.
if its a semiauto pistol the act of chambering a bullet will cock the hammer and it will stay cocked. decocking the hammer would be done with a decocker lever on the side of the gun or manually. if the gun has a decocker its da/sa and the gun will fire regardless of cocked or uncocked. if it was a single action like a 1911 and the owner manually decocked it hes a dumbass.
if the gun in question is a revolver having a single round in the cylinder would fuck you since it would rotate to a different position when you cock it. unless you took this into account when loading.

my guess is the author watched to many movies where the hammer is cocked to add tension to a scene
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neoAJrzKXq4
>>
>>32198815
why are gingers such degenerates.
>>
>>32198815
No. Round is cartridge. Bullet is part of cartridge.
>>
>>32198815
this looks so much like a rockwell painting
>>
>>32198815
translating to which language?
>>
>>32198815
>I'm a translator
Even the slightest uncertainty in contextual features of a foreign language must be absolutely taken care of when dealing with documents describing handling of lethal or crippling force.

For example,
>Something deadly is in the barrel
doesn't necessarily explain it. You may talk about a cartridge in the battery, or an obstacle blocking the muzzle, in which latter case the poor guy will eyeball in the muzzle while fumbling with the gun.

>Off topic, please don't take tattoos in a language you don't speak.
>>
File: NormanRockwell.png (1MB, 994x900px) Image search: [Google]
NormanRockwell.png
1MB, 994x900px
>>32200956
>>
>>32198822

No it's not. The bullet is the projectile and the round is the entire thing, you no guns dumbass.
>>
>>32198815
Yes, in this case "round" is considered them same as "bullet".
Thread posts: 14
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.