[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is it just me or does looting and hunting sound like the dumbest

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 4

File: LootingAP_FERGUSON8.jpg (31KB, 324x184px) Image search: [Google]
LootingAP_FERGUSON8.jpg
31KB, 324x184px
Is it just me or does looting and hunting sound like the dumbest thing to do post shtf. Everyone without proper food stores will be dead within a month or two regardless of how much they can loot or hunt, these resources are very finite. Why don't most preppers advise homesteading / growing your own food? There will come a time afterward that society will need to rebuild itself, plant crops , build housing or infrastructure and bring back the rule of law. Why don't most peppers think of the long term is it just a masturbation fantasy for them? How would you defend your homestead /k/? Who would you let in and why, society cannot be rebuilt by only a few people on one farm.
>>
>>32197637
If you homestead you better live somewhere remote or make sure you are the biggest and baddest motherfucker around. Nothing says "Come rape my asshole" Like a house with a big ass garden out front.
>>
>>32197637
Preppers advise storage because it makes a lot more sense than either looting or homesteading. Unless you already are a farmer, in which case the point is moot.
>>
SHTF scenarios are fantasies for people mostly. Most of the "prepping" people I've met are also on blood pressure medicine and would probably end up having a heart attack or stroke within a year anyway.
>>
>>32197637
>Everyone without proper food stores will be dead within a month or two regardless of how much they can loot or hunt, these resources are very finite.

this is an inherently contradictory statement. while this is not /shtf/ and its good to have a thread going, this is a faggot ass thread, you are a faggot, this isnt /gardening/, theres already a shtf thread, and you are a nigger
>>
"prepping" is a very ambigous term.

Encompassing everything from someone who lives in hurricane prone areas having extra bottled water and non perishables on hand to a 350 pound lardwhale trying to survive the apocalypse.
So the question "why dont preppers____" is already shit, there are plenty who have seeds and the ability to plant them when needed, but after you plant them what do you eat before they are able to harvest?

>What happens if there is a drought?
>what happens if there are so many dead people that locusts and flies come in swarms and eat the crop?
>what happens if anything haplens and now your crop is 1/4 the size you need?

Having stored food is a very old idea and a very smart one.
>>
>>32197678
Thanks for your insightful and constructive commentary, you really contributed alot to this discussion.
>>
If someone homesteads on enough land people will naturally come to work the fields with them. Regardless of government collapse people still tend to come together.
>>
most people will be dead after a few months, wildlife would came back after 5 years.
people always think about hunting deer, but pigeons and crows and squirrels and rabbits produce a lot of babies (especially rabbits) and are fine to eat, taste good, etc.
>>
>>32197700
I don't think stockpiling food is necessarily a bad idea in fact I would encourage more people to do so, alot of people that I have met and talked to from all around North America seem to not think about sustainable options in regards to long term survival. They think that they will magically survive once food supplies run out.
>>
>>32197725
During the great depression poaching almost made deer, rabbits, and squirrels and shit extinct.

Our pop. was 30 million in the US then, now its over 330 million. even 10 million people run to the woods there will be no more animals to eat, thus prolonging the habbening and causing small wars to start over the farms and shit that no longer have petro fertilizer or any fancy shit
>>
>>32197733
>once food supplies run out.
If there's too little food to feed people, eat the people. If there aren't enough people to eat, then there shouldn't be too little food to feed those that are left.
>>
>>32197700
> rabbit snares, gig snakes, frogs, other small animals.
>you get to go on involuntary diet for a while.
>>
>>32197743
You should look at this post.
>>32197735
Yes, were it just you and your group you could easily survive on animals and forage to supplement your diet, but throwing 100million people into the equation changes things.
>>
>>32197739
Eating people is the absolute worst thing that anyone could do in a survival situation with few exceptions. You aren't a survivor of a plane crash in the Arctic or stranded in the mountains somewhere this is long term survival. How are going to grow food once you've eaten all the other people and now your mental capacity is now hindered from enzymes in the humans you ate breaking down your brain? You now also have no labor force to work the fields and nobody is going to trade or make contact with except at the barrel of a gun
>>
File: howto-eat-human.w1456.jpg (110KB, 500x656px) Image search: [Google]
howto-eat-human.w1456.jpg
110KB, 500x656px
>>32197773
>and now your mental capacity is now hindered from enzymes in the humans you ate breaking down your brain
Don't eat their central nervous system, dingus. It's not exactly rocket science to just leave the brain alone.

>You now also have no labor force to work the fields and nobody is going to trade or make contact with except at the barrel of a gun
Now why would you eat your own people, or do it openly?
>>
>>32197771
Trapping/breeding would also work for rabbits, feral hogs.

Cannibalism works too.
>>
>>32197637
>Why don't most peppers think of the long term is it just a masturbation fantasy for them?

Yes. Thinking of long term stability and planning for it is more complicated than preparing a plan of action for the time immediately after a disaster.

A food supply is nice, but eventually youll need more.
>>
>>32197735
no. deer and some squirrels were incredibly rare, but they didn't go extinct. rabbits, crows, rats, etc would be around to eat.
>>
>>32197637
Trapping and growing your own food would be the only viable methods of food production until most of the people died out
>>
>>32197637
Most preppers prepare for short term stuff like hurricanes. It's not all mad max fantasies.
>>
>>32198042
You have the reading comprehension of a toddler.
>>
youd probably do pretty well for yourself down in the florida keys/everglades until you get btfo by a hurricane
>>
If society ever breaks down move somewhere cold and only take what you need to survive

An average seal weighs about 136kg or 300lb, about 1/3 or maybe a little more of that is edible meat

Me and my wife haven't paid for meat in almost 7 years on a subsistance license and a lot of times we can trade pelts for veggies, we also have a greenhouse, the only problem is keeping it warm in our climate
>>
>>32197735
Obvious solution
>hunt two legged critters
>>
>>32197668
/thread
>>
Realistically, how long should you hide for the human population to even out so that as soon as you start growing some food, a horde of armed hungry people won't come-a-knocking instantly.
>>
>>32198399
The keys have an unsustainable population density of armed alcoholics and no agriculture m8. Coastal fishing would last, but fresh water would be hard to come by from anything but rain.
>>
File: 1477084534490.jpg (66KB, 480x445px) Image search: [Google]
1477084534490.jpg
66KB, 480x445px
>all these people whose first response in a disaster is cannibalism
>>
File: 67_logo.png (21KB, 640x403px) Image search: [Google]
67_logo.png
21KB, 640x403px
>>32197637
666 hail satan
>>
>>32198865
Just trying to help.
>>
>>32198612
If you could do two years I think that would be ideal but honestly after 3-6 months you should be fine if you're armed and show strength
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.