[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

What is more deadly: land mine or grenade? Assume both are less

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 18
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_4040.jpg (119KB, 800x566px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4040.jpg
119KB, 800x566px
What is more deadly: land mine or grenade? Assume both are less than 1 meter from you and both are modern variants.
>>
EODFag
Grenade at 1m will hit you with both blast and frag sufficient to kill.
AntiPersonnel mine is commonly about 50g HE and primarily blast. Most don't have much frag as modern practice is to use a plastic body to aviod metal detectors. Possibly survivable at 1m as burying the mine will only give blast effects in a cone upwards
Anti-tank Mine. Usually 1-2kg HE and some frag from metal body = you're fucked.
>>
>>32194573
a land mine wont explode if your 1 meter away from it. ergo a grenade is more dangerous
>>
>>32196607
Smart man
>>
>>32196607
But soldiers carry grenades, thus being closer than 1m from them. They don't blow up and kill them. Your logic isn't as sound as you think.
>>
>>32196607
You can be 1m away from the other guy who trod on it.
Or you can be 1m along the wire from the item
>>
>>32196623
That's not the point
>>
>>32194632
1-2kg HE in an AT mine? That's an extremely weak mine you got there pal, most modern AT mines will be atleast twice that, our standard issue contains 10kg of TNT.

Land mine is more difficult to assess as there's so many, though the dug-down breaking cross type of mine is extremely outdated and not in use by anyone afaik. A "land mine" today would more likely be something resembling a claymore detonated by tripwire, in which case you and all your friends would be cucked.
>>
>>32198597
>tnt

Modern ceramic matrix armor is nigh impervious to old school explosives like tnt
>>
>>32198597
What's the radius and effective range of a modern claymore?
>>
>>32198597
>1-2kg HE in an AT mine?
Ok weight for shaped charge mine, simple HE At tank yes. need 6+ kg of HE to do damage to heavy tank (and most modern tanks are heavy).

>BLU-91/B anti-tank mine
>The BLU-91 /B AT mine is a low flat cylinder with a rectangular aeroballistic shell. A magnetic sensor in the mine detects targets, when it detects a suitable target and the target reaches the most vulnerable approach point it detonates the mine. The mine is also triggered if the mine is moved, or if the battery reaches a certain low voltage point.
>Once the fuse is triggered, a small clearing charge is fired that clears any debris that may be on top of the mine. A second larger charge is triggered 30 ms later, creating an Explosively Formed Penetrator capable of penetrating 70 mm of armour, using the Misznay-Schardin effect. The charge is capable of penetrating most armoured vehicles from below.
>The mine weighs 1.95 kilograms and is 127 millimeters in diameter, with 580 grams of an RDX/Estane explosive mix.
>>
>>32194573
Blast antipersonnel mine: no blast damage, can injure with debris (soil rocks etc).
Fragmentation jumping mine (bouncing Betty and similar): lethal fragmentation damage, mild non lethal blast damage
Grenade: lethal fragmentation damage, mild non lethal blast damage.
If there is object between target and mine/grande that can block fragments object this would prevent fragmentation damage. At 2 meters there would be no blast damage at all.
>>
>>32198665
You're probably thinking of dynamite, TNT is trinitrotoluene, and no, modern tanks are not impervious to 6900m/s explosives.

>>32199006
Pretty much all AT mines uses shaped charges. It is true that it isn't necessary to penetrate a tank, the extra dough means that the tank is pretty much guaranteed to be incapacitated. 500g of rdx still feels like a bit on the light side.
>>
>>32194573
A lot of people survived stepping on a mine.
I don't know about people surviving a grenade at 1m.
>>
>>32198677
Not excactly a claymore but a similar one has a 50m wide kill zone at 50m.
>>
File: 145834614416745.jpg (689KB, 883x1204px) Image search: [Google]
145834614416745.jpg
689KB, 883x1204px
>>32199183
>Pretty much all AT mines uses shaped charges.
Most widespread in the world series of AT mines (TM-62) doesn't.
>>
>>32198677
>When the M18A1 is detonated, the explosion drives the matrix forward, out of the mine at a velocity of 1,200 m/s (3,937 ft/s),[1] at the same time breaking it into individual fragments. The steel balls are projected in a 60° fan-shaped pattern that is 6.5 feet (2.0 m) high and 50 m (55 yd) wide at a range of 50 m (55 yd). The force of the explosion deforms the relatively soft steel balls into a shape similar to a .22 rimfire projectile.[1] These fragments are moderately effective up to a range of 100 m (110 yd), with a hit probability of around 10% on a prone man-sized 1.3-square-foot (0.12 m2) target. The fragments can travel up to 250 m (270 yd). The optimum effective range is 50 m (55 yd), at which the optimal balance is achieved between lethality and area coverage, with a hit probability of 30% on a man-sized target.[4]
>>
>>32199214
Its because a lot of anti-personnel mines are designed to wound and draw more soldiers into the minefield, thus creating a much larger delay in the advance of forces.
If you only take a guys foot or half his leg, hes gunna be screaming for all his mates to come help him, and they either wait for mine clearing support and watch him bleed out, or go in, try and get him and end up taking more casualties.
Thread posts: 18
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.