[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hey /k/ I just finished binging The Pacific and Band of Brothers.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 25
Thread images: 5

Hey /k/ I just finished binging The Pacific and Band of Brothers. I'm looking for more tv shows and miniseries of the same or similar quality.

I've seen Generation War, Our World War, but nothing else
>>
>>32194430
Generation Kill
>>
>>32194449
I've heard good about that one, added to the list
>>
File: spaceaboveandbeyond.jpg (84KB, 1000x563px) Image search: [Google]
spaceaboveandbeyond.jpg
84KB, 1000x563px
If you don't mind kind of dated 90s military Sci Fi, SAAB is a good choice. Last I checked it was all up for free on youtube.
>>
>>32194525
Just search SAAB?
>>
>>32194582
Space Above and Beyond
>>
File: 001-tour-of-duty-theredlist.jpg (82KB, 446x567px) Image search: [Google]
001-tour-of-duty-theredlist.jpg
82KB, 446x567px
Tour of Duty season 1 and 3

Season 2 kinda sucked because the higher ups wanted to appeal to the female audience. They moved the main characters' platoon the Tan San Nhut and added female nurse characters and shit.
They made a come back in season 3 though.

The British DVD set has the original music, the American DVD has this god awful home made tunes in place of the original 60s music.

Torrents are low quality though.
>>
>>32194656
So British show about Vietnam? Intriguing
>>
>>32194656
I came here to post this.

Did not know this about the British DVDs. May have to look for them.

>>32194699
It's not British
>>
>>32194714
Ahh, I saw British DVD set having the original music, so I figured it was British
>>
>>32194430
If you don't mind being bored for quite a bit of it and love the Civil War you should watch Gettysburg.
It was supposed to be a mini series but nobody picked it up so they made it into a 3 hour plus movie. It's old but fucking detailed and awesome
>>
File: Das_Boot.png (78KB, 1297x493px) Image search: [Google]
Das_Boot.png
78KB, 1297x493px
There was a TV mini series version of Das Boot.

They later pieced the episodes together and called it the uncut version of Das Boot, almost a 5 hour film.
>>
>>32195047
I've heard that Das Boot is either boring as hell, has too many german specific tropes, or is a masterpiece. What do you think?
>>
>>32195130
I genuinely enjoyed it. I have yet to see a war movie as accurate as Das Boot. Every detail has had perfect attention. None of the equipment or scenarios have been dramatized or made unrealistic.
They even went as far as finding the original U-boat diesel engines in a scrap yard and overhauled them to get them running.
They had the original company that built U-boats during the war, build one for the movie.
The cast was even kept out of sunlight for months to make them look like real U-boat crewman.

I prefer the 5 hour version because it gets more in depth with the characters and does a really good job with making you feel like you are there with the crew.

However, when I recommend the movie, I always recommend the 3.5 hour Director's cut.
The uncut is for people who enjoyed Das boot and want more.

The director's cut also has a overhauled audio track and special effects. The sound is really impressive compared the the uncut or cut version.

It must be watched in German with English subtitles.
>>
>>32194430
Three Tankers and A Dog, Generation War, Shtrafbat.

>>32195130
It certainly is a masterpiece, that anon before me got it all covered, really, it's the perfect war film. There is a thing with war movies I've noticed with time; some movies are just action flicks in a war setting, and others, the good ones, are actually movies about the war itself, the impact of it on the characters, on society, etc. I'd love to go deeper into this but I'm quite exhausted right now.
>>
>>32195130
It is boring, but that's the idea. Months of boredom compounded with seconds of terror. Watch it, it's heavy as fuck but watch it.
>>
how did we get this far in the thread without someone saying Gallipoli? it's a fucking fantastic show, from Australia, about the Aussies serving as crown cannon fodder against the Turks in WWI under shit strategic leadership. it focuses on a young enlisted man and his brother and friends. it's seven episodes.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gallipoli_(miniseries)
>>
>>32194430
>Generation War
It's very so-so.
The production values are good but the story and characters are pretty painfully contrived. It's pretty funny how many times they find themselves reunited in various places.
Worth a watch but just don't go into it expecting the "German Band of Brothers" it tends to be billed as and it's okay.
>>
>>32195730
OP here, It's not as good as the Spielberg and Hanks stuff, but I enjoyed it as it was one of the first shows I'd seen from the Nazi side
>>
>>32195490
>Three Tankers and A Dog, Shtrafbat.
These. Also, Russia has a good number of pretty decent war movies. Brestkaya Krepost and some other one about WW1 navies come to mind, though the latter was a bit focused on romance.
>>
>>32195809
>(((Spielberg)))
>>
The Unit and Strike Back is operator/k/ore
>>
File: IMG_0510.jpg (20KB, 330x153px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0510.jpg
20KB, 330x153px
>>32194525
>>
>>32194430
Mini series can be fun. fpbp. There really isn't much else.
>>
>>32194656
Tour of Duty is SO GOOD with the original music, and gets SO SHIT with the homemade muzak crap
Thread posts: 25
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.