[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So I have an issue /k/. I'm a 26 year old professional trying

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 7

So I have an issue /k/. I'm a 26 year old professional trying to buy my first handgun through a FFL just to go shooting at the range. Only problem is that I was denied during the background check (NICS). My understanding is that they aren't even processing appeals since the start of last year and when I gave them a call, I only get an automated recording the ate still processing appeals from summer of last year. So what do I even do in this situation? I live in Maine so I can't get around it using a CDW license. I wasn't born in the US but have been naturalized for 3 years and this state has been my primary state of residence for over 8 years. No outstanding tickets or whatever. No domestic abuse cases, felonies, etc. I did put in the request for them to notify why the hell I was denied but was wondering if anyone else is going through this process. I would just buy privately but the gun is one that I picked out and had to be ordered. Have a picture of my pup in exchange.
>>
>denied in Maine
Literally how? do you have a felony or are you a Muzzie?
>>
>>32193224
Most likely scenario is that your name is similar to someone who is on the NICS list.
Do you know if it was a true denial or just a delay and tour FFL mixed up the response?
Did you list you SSN on the 4473?
>>
I had the same thing happen. I didn't even know what to do after I was denied.

I still haven't figured out how to fix it and this was in may. Apparently it's illegal for you to have a gun after being denied unless you can fix it so I wouldn't try a private sale.

At least that's to the best of my knowledge. Had a lawyer look into it but he was only interested because potential lawsuit could be had.
>>
>>32193224
What kind of car is that anon? I like the seats and panoramic sunroof
>>
>>32193257
Nope I'm a licensed and active health provider lawfully licensed here too.

>>32193259
I did last my ssn. The only thing I could think of was maybe because my address that is listed on my drivers license isn't my current. I've moved to 2 different places in the last 2 years because of my job.

>>32193279
This is what I'm scared of. I don't need more bills.
>>
>>32193441
It's an 2012 Audi Q5 3.2T S line. Got it for the waifu. I dislike the steering actually. Really loose but it's got a good platform.
>>
>>32193471
I didn't pay anything, family member went to a gun rights law group on my behalf and they got in touch with me.

He recommended stuff but I wasn't able to get around to it. He recommended I go to local sheriff for pistol purchase permit since my state has that gay law and we'd get a letter giving us a better idea as to why I was denied.

If not that everyone thought it was a good idea I contact the fbi for their record they have on me to make sure nobody has stolen my identity or anything like that.

In my case depression and finances prevented me from pursuing any further however if you're able you should try doing that. Once you have an idea of where you stand you could try finding a legal organization that might help you.
>>
>>32193483
Very nice, anon. Q5 deff a chick car so made sense you bought it for your wife.
>>
The vast majority of failed NICS checks are caused by people sharing the same name as a known felon.

You need to get a lawyer and throw a scare into the buggers. They are denying you a Constitutional right by not processing your appeal.
>>
>>32193547
Hmm well funds are going to be in short supply as I have a kid coming in 8 months and am in the market for a house. This was my last present to myself probably for a bit. But I'll check out the local pd. Appreciate the tip. Hopefully this will pan out. They are suppose to at least give me the reason within 5 business days.

As far as id theft, I am currently enrolled in the OPM IDcare system as apparently my SSN may have been leaked during that government hack a couple years ago so they are offering me free protection but maybe it didn't work.

>>32193558
Haha, yeah it is. She had a mini cooper before and she loves the panoramic sunroof so this was essentially a larger mini. Though she can't do any more sharp turns doing 40.
>>
File: image_43858.jpg (70KB, 556x700px) Image search: [Google]
image_43858.jpg
70KB, 556x700px
>>32193471
1. Update your fucking license.
2. Try to buy the gun again.
3. ???
4. Has gun.
>>
>>32193648
>supposed to give reason in 5 days
Is that a state thing? Nobody told me that shit when I was denied.

Probably doesn't help I tried buying at Walmart where the kid behind the counter couldn't seem to care less about what was going on.
>>
>>32193689
Well that's the next plan. Would I have to wait at least a month to get my dealer to call it in again you think? I thought I read that on the NCIS appeal site. The only thing is they didn't list address change as one of the reasons I would've been denied.

>>32193628
Unless NCIS looks at people outside of the state, I'm thinking this would be unlikely in my situation unfortunately.
>>
>>32193706
That's what the NCIS appeals form said when I submitted it. I'm hoping that is the case. The dealer tried to get them to tell me the reason over the phone but they adamantly refused saying I had to appeal in writing.
>>
File: 1458434044605.jpg (46KB, 640x551px) Image search: [Google]
1458434044605.jpg
46KB, 640x551px
>>32193279
>Apparently it's illegal for you to have a gun after being denied

except this isn't true. it's the purchase that was denied, not your right to own guns.

i have a friend who once failed a background check due to a pending case against him that could have potentially been elevated to felony level (DUI, it was eventually dropped). he was not required to surrender his existing weapons during this time because it was a nonviolent crime

OP, if you really, truly know that you aren't barred from firearms ownership, just go on Armslist. Plenty of people selling around here.

>t. another Mainer
>>
File: smiling_slav.jpg (57KB, 640x464px) Image search: [Google]
smiling_slav.jpg
57KB, 640x464px
>>32193224
when this happens the FFL is supposed to give you a pamphlet describing how to appeal. here: https://www.fbi.gov/services/cjis/nics/national-instant-criminal-background-check-system-nics-appeals

>>32193828
not to mention they get denied erroneously all the time
>>
>>32193828
I don't know the laws but that's what someone said to me. I'm thinking it might be a state thing.

That's good to know either way but it doesn't make a difference since I no longer have the finances to buy anything anymore. Supporting others on my shitty income doesn't even allow me to save up.
>>
>>32193743
You need to use your CURRENT physical address when you buy. I'm surprised the shop didn't ask you when you went to purchase

What area of Maine? I'm down near Kittery and that's the one thing they stress is having and using your current address.
>>
>>32193828
That's good to know. The only thing I have on my record is a parking ticket and a speeding ticket which the cop only listed me as doing 9 over. If the news they give me is more trouble outside of address or mix up of identity, that'll be my next bet.

>>32193868
Well the only issue is that their pamphlet is outdated but supposedly they were working on appeals from July 2015 this January. So now they are in appeals from August 2015. So this could be their way of passive aggressively getting around a lawsuit.
>>
>>32193224
Is than Akita? Best dogs. My first.
>>
>>32193919
I'm buying from Bucksport. I work traveling between Bangor/Portland/Ellsworth. So right now I have a place in both Bangor and Portland. I will update at the DMV come Monday and hopefully get good results and post the picture of my purchase.

>>32193947
It is. Purebred, picked him up in Texas on a cross country road trip. He's an amazing dog, can't wait until he gets bigger. Just wish HOA wouldn't be dicks about insurance.
>>
File: 23061819.jpg (80KB, 805x768px) Image search: [Google]
23061819.jpg
80KB, 805x768px
>>32193991
OP, just so you know. You don't have to have your license updated necessarily, but you do need to have SOME form of government paperwork with your current physical address.

I haven't updated my license since the last time I moved, so I also brought my car registration, which does have my physical address. I've purchased my last 2 guns this way.
>>
>>32194017
Oh, good to know.

I really appreciate the input you guys. This thread was immensely helpful. I'm off to bed.
>>
>>32193224
Your dog is goat, and you most likely aren't a muzzie because of having him so just go have your rights given to you.
>>
>>32194117
I updated my address recently op. It takes 5 minutes and costs $10 (at least in my state - its automated).

You'll get a paper ID while they mail you a new plastic one which you'll receive 3 weeks later.

You can use the paper ID to purchase a gun.
>>
File: -Pederson 1435712740920.gif (787KB, 374x267px) Image search: [Google]
-Pederson 1435712740920.gif
787KB, 374x267px
>>32193224
>>32193279
> denied NICS check

Just go back to the dealer the next day and have him run the NICS check again, 99% of the time the denial was due to a computer hiccup and it'll go right thru the 2nd time with no problem.
>>
Get a lawyer
>>
>>32193919 what this guy says.

I sold guns for a couple years and the most common thing we would turn someone down for was not having valid proof of address.

Of course I wouldn't even call NICS before explaining why I can't make the sale and tell my customer what he can do or bring to prove his address.

>>32193743

I'm not sure why your FFL would say denied when it was an address issue. Unless he was low key denying you on his own determination and using the ATF to avoid explaining his personal bias against you, which could happen.

Ask your FFL for. NTN " NICS transaction number" if he doesn't have one for you that means he never called it in.

I've never seen a successful appeal in the span of June 2013- Aug 2015 not that that means much, we were kind of slow for a gun store. Also the 2 times I helped a customer get ahold of them in regards to an appeal, I was never able to get ahold of an actual person. So it could easily be ATF incompetence.

Tl;Dr try again with updated ID, maybe a different clerk. Your FFL might say wait 30 days but that's more of a guideline.
>>
>>32193471
Update your address, that's what's causing the issue.

I had the same thing a while back where I had forgotten to update my home address after a move and got denied because the home address you put on the 4473 has to match the one on your ID. Changed it, got an updated license, and got my gun.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.