[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>"pistols don't need a safety" So why do rifles

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 97
Thread images: 14

File: image.jpg (20KB, 290x174px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
20KB, 290x174px
>"pistols don't need a safety"

So why do rifles need safety then? What's the difference?
>>
>>32181693
They dont
>>
>>32181693
Tell me more about the firing pin block on an AR15
>>
Pistols are generally contained in a holster whereas rifles are loose on your body with a sling. A trigger can snag on just about anything, which isn't much of an issue on most handguns.
>>
Rifles really don't need safeties. I agree with
>>32181762
On his logic but I really don't think it's necessary. I carry my rifles with the chamber empty anyway. There should never be a safety on a defensive handgun.
>>
>>32181693

The only reason the "pistols don't need a safety" meme started, is because Glock wanted to cut even more corners by not adding one.
>>
>>32181693

SHOW ME A HOLSTER FOR A RIFLE THAT COVERS THE TRIGGER GUARD YOU FUCKING RETARDED FAGGOT
>>
>>32181693
Most rifles are worked by a single-action hammer system. They're not as drop-safe as the vast majority of pistols. Plus most rifle actions were designed before safeties became unnecessary or are designed for militaries (which almost exclusively use weapons with safeties because of dumbass grunts).
>>
rifles are all single action type weapons.
>>
>>32181762

This is a major part of the reason.

As further explanation, a rifle is much heavier, while typically having the same trigger weight as a comparable handgun. Rifles will almost always be heavier than the weight of their trigger pull, except in exceptional circumstances like a Mosin or SKS with a 15lb trigger pull.

So for instance, if a handgun weighing 2lbs, with a 5lb trigger pull is dropped and something gets caught in the trigger, the likelihood that the gun will go off is much less likely than if an 9lb rifle with a 5lb trigger pull were dropped in the same scenario.
>>
File: USSRheliPilotAkHolster.jpg (392KB, 1608x776px) Image search: [Google]
USSRheliPilotAkHolster.jpg
392KB, 1608x776px
>>32182016
>SHOW ME A HOLSTER FOR A RIFLE THAT COVERS THE TRIGGER GUARD YOU FUCKING RETARDED FAGGOT

Different guy, but since you asked here is one.
>>
>>32182079

Yeah, yeah, I figured this was gonna be the response but you know what I mean. Rifle holsters aren't exactly fucking common.
>>
>>32182079
But that's fucking retarded.
>>
>>32182000
this, safeties are fine on everything and the whole non-safety variant market is because of glocktards that can't grasp that you can leave it off
>>
>>32181693
Because I can't decock my ar-15 for a 10 pound trigger pull.
>>
File: Xa-600.jpg (147KB, 600x506px) Image search: [Google]
Xa-600.jpg
147KB, 600x506px
>>32182016
>>
>>32181717
>he thinks the safety stops the firing pin in a ar15 or any free floating pin system
lol
>>
>>32182048
> all
No
>>
>>32182096
No its not. I just found my new open carry holster for my ak pistol. Jist simply for the absurdity. Where do I get one?
>>
>>32182079
I want one
>>
Is there anyone who is actually autistic enough to engage the safety after each spent magazine at the range?
>>
File: 1475546347040.gif (689KB, 550x400px) Image search: [Google]
1475546347040.gif
689KB, 550x400px
I can understand the argument against an external safety. What I don't get is all these dumb asses screaming against a magazine disconnect.

>what if I only have 1 in the chamber!?

Yes, because in the stress of a mugging you counted off every round AND the mugger breaks the trend of mugging and decides he's willing to die for that $6.57 in your wallet. Also your some retard who carries coins in your wallet.

Face it, defensive shootings happen CLOSE. If a badguy grabs your gun, its easy enough to drop the mag, kick it away and then decide whether you're going to wrestle for your weapon and reload a spare, or just run and leave him with a useless hunk of metal.
>>
>>32182016
That's 3.

So the holster is the safety. So at all times when you have the gun it should be in a holster, as that is its form of safety.

What if I want to put in on a shelf in my safe? The nightstand drawer? What if I want to stow it under my leg in a vehicle in a situation where it's tactically necessary? I can't do any of these things as it's not safe. It severely limits the guns tactical ability. It's also an extra form of retention as far as I'm concerned, if an inexperienced person gets a hold of your weapon he might not even know what a safety is.

Also a holster is something you stuff a gun in and out of... do you not see the issue here? Most of you are probably not law enforcement, so you're not putting it into an exposed duty holster with your shirt tucked into your socks, you're sticking it a confined concealment holster...

Think things through guys. I can't think of many real life situations where a civilian lived because of the 0.001 seconds (if that, disengage on the draw) shaved off by not having a safety, but I can show you a shit ton of people who've glocklegged themselves.
>>
>>32182607
What about a situation where a civilian forgot to take their safety off or accidentally engaged it at the wrong time?

Oh yeah you don't hear about that because they're fucking dead
>>
>>32182553
I use the safety every single time I bench the rifle. But I'm in the military so the habit is ingrained. I do think it's a good practice, though.
>>
>>32182612

>>What I don't get is all these dumb asses screaming against a magazine disconnect.

>Walking down the street
>get attacked
>draw gun
>guy tries to grab it
>magazine release is hit
>lol, gun is now useless
>die

>get attacked
>kill attacker
>almost out of ammo
>in mid reload, get attacked by a second guy you didn't see
>lol, too bad. gun can't shoot without the mag inserted

>at home
>just finished cleaning gun
>it's unloaded
>want to function check it
>have to put in the mag (making it less safe) in order to do so

ect.
>>
File: 1480041942485.gif (2MB, 390x205px) Image search: [Google]
1480041942485.gif
2MB, 390x205px
>>32182612
Orrrr you knock your mag out because Murphy and shit happens and you die with a loaded gun in your hand.
>>
>>32181693
Rifles don't exactly need safeties either.

That said rifles 100% don't need double action mechanisms either.
>>
>>32182553
I did this in the military but I don't do it anymore, pretty pointless. I barely ever put the safety on unless I bench it with a round in the chamber or I stop to talk with people or something.

I don't really see a reason why you would absolutely NEED a safety on a closed bolt weapon at all, but it's a nice feature.
>>
>>32182220
This.

>B-but it might turn on!

Oh I thought it was impossible for something on the gun to engage while it's holstered hmmm...

Think about the ALS holster that most cops use, you always have to flick the thumb switch for the weapon to draw. I've used such holsters and never had an issue after the first 2-3 times of practicing with it, and if you have a gun with a safety it usually disengages it when you flip the switch, so I already disengage safeties every time I draw regardless of what gun I'm drawing. You start to know that your thumb should be doing something on the draw, so even if you leave the safety off you press it down to make sure this isn't the 1 time out of 10,000 draws that it unintentionally engaged.

Congrats, you now have a weapon that effectively doesn't have a safety but has the option for one in case you want to leave it out of the holster in a drawer or safe shelf. Makes it a lot more versatile.

Again on the topic of ALS holsters, if you get the ones designed for weapon lights anyone can stick their finger in the gap and shoot your fucking leg, I shit you not and it has happened (source below). So ITS NOT EVEN SAFE IN THE DAMN HOLSTER. I would have liked the extra level of retention if I was that cop, and yes a grown adult's finger easily fits in there too.

>https://www.policeone.com/investigations/articles/6426576-SWAT-officer-shot-when-child-pulls-trigger-in-holster/
>>
I prefer a safety on my pistol OP. Not sure why this has changed over the years though.
>>
>>32181693
glocks have a trigger safety "safe action pistols".

/thread
>>
>>32182646
This addresses that
>>32182753

By your logic no one should use a retention holster, because you have to do something simple to activate the gun. In reality there are huge benefits to using some form of retention, as there are huge benefits to having a safety mechanism on something that can fucking kill someone (including yourself) if it inadvertently goes off, which happens far more often than people being found dead with their safety engaged. That's the point I'm making. Just train properly and you won't have that issue. I know a lot of people that draw from an ALS holster without a hiccup every single time. It's not hard to flip a switch.
>>
>>32182753
>not putting your thumbs on the lip of the frame to help mitigate recoil

My rear thumb always goes right where a safety would be, unfortunately on glocks that's where they put the mag release so my gun tend to not lock back on the last round.
>>
>>32182810
No not "/thread" that safety is annoying and anything that gets past the trigger guard has a decent chance of activating the safety anyway. Fuck that bullshit just give me an actual safety.
>>
>>32182000
Damn even when Glock cuts corners, their products are somehow improved. How do they do it?
>>
>>32182895
Make it much cheaper than the competition (for police, not you) to tempt them into issuing them and rewriting part of their training methods, then if they ever switch back to normal guns with proper safeties they'll forget to disengage them and complain saying it's the gun's fault.
>>
>>32182473
find me a double action rifle that isn't a pistol with a buttstock.
>>
>>32182612
Is it wrong that the most disturbing part of that gif to me was when he ran over the dog?
>>
>>32181717
keeping the bolt to the rear?
>>
>>32183115
ARs have the worst bolt catch.
>>
>>32183111
You have a sense of relationship with dogs but not with people because you were raised in a multicultural society with no sense of kinship or trust for other people. This is why young white people would rather adopt dogs than have their own kids, they see no good in other humans but some fail to put their finger on the reason why. I'll give you a hint, because half of Western society are savages now and you aren't seeing the good in the other half, your own half. The savages have completely ruined our outlook on humanity as a whole, and that's why you feel a stronger relationship with fucking dogs than your own kind.
>>
>>32183205
I'm an ignorant racist, the post. 10/10 guaranteed (You).
>>
>>32181693
Holster.

There's no such thing as a rifle holster.
>>
>>32182423
That bike makes my pee pee hard
>>
>>32183305
But he's not wrong
>>
>>32183115
Give your AR a good hard whack with the bolt catch up, you'll be amazed at what happens!
>>
>>32183305
Part of my point was you ignore the good in your own people (because you've been taught not to see differences in people) and that's why you see no good in humanity overall. If you recognized this key factor (which you clearly don't because you still call people "racist") you'd have a positive outlook for at least your own sect of humankind. Instead, human murder doesn't even disturb you, you're the sick fuck here bucko.

Have fun with your dogs.
>>
>>32183305
Rather be a dog-owning racist than a staring, plagiarism-dependent wife beater.
>>
>>32182612
>Also your some retard who carries coins in your wallet.

Who doesn't keep change in their wallet?

I usually have 30-40 cents knocking around in there.
>>
>>32182895
Best damn hand grenade the public can buy
>>
>>32183497
You know that little 5th pocket on a pair of jeans? That's for coins and a lighter
>>
>>32183437
Heroes and Generals lets you drive it
>>
>>32182724
anal range officers...
>>
>>32183488
I never said that human murder doesn't disturb me, which it does, just that animal abuse fucks with me more. I also see humanity as far too good than I know it is because I'm excessively and hopelessly optimistic.
>>
>>32181693
because a rifle is often carried on a sling with nothing covering the trigger.
>>
>>32183105
Pump action 243 deer rifle... but its kind of a crossdressing shotgun
>>
>>32183493
>implying the wife beater isn't also racist...
>>
>>32183582
/thread
>>
just fucking turn the safety off.
>>
>>32183547
and baggies of weed
>>
>>32182041
I'd agree with this.

I'd also say that rifles have lighter triggers (though idk for sure) to promote accuracy, and I imagine a safe-action type trigger would effect that.

Just my .02
>>
>>32182000
Safety is a frame of mind, not a setting on a firearm. A manual safety is a useless step between me and a dead bad guy. No thank you.
>>
>>32182612
pretty much this >>32182657
There's a reason most major police departments all over the world are moving away from magazine disconnect. It's safer to train better weapon retention, that way instead of removing the gun from the fight completely, it still allows the good guy to maintain control of it. "Magazine Disconnect" seems like it was the "gun fingerprint reader" of it's time: an interesting novelty that gets more people killed than it helps. jm2c
>>
File: TRUMP_ARCHIVE_1A.jpg (41KB, 371x565px) Image search: [Google]
TRUMP_ARCHIVE_1A.jpg
41KB, 371x565px
>>32181693
All you need to know is Navy SEALs use them. Case closed, faggots.
>>
File: ThisIsMySafety.jpg (25KB, 758x368px) Image search: [Google]
ThisIsMySafety.jpg
25KB, 758x368px
also, I can't believe that this hasn't been posted yet.
>>
>>32184287
I think you'll find that that is a finger
>>
>>32184223
Frame of mind includes preparedness. I shouldn't end up blowing my leg off because my shirt came untucked. Sure, on a safe range I should check to make sure it hasn't, in a real life shitty situation if I just had to shoot someone and the scene still isn't safe so I have to run/climb over cover right fucking now, I'm probably going to jam my gun in the holster faster than I'd jam my cock in your mom. If for whatever reason I have to put it in my waistband, pocket, or under my leg (in vehicle) I should be able to do so safely as well.

It has a purpose, mainly though in concept a deadly weapon shouldn't go 0 to KILL in just a 5lbs press (and no your finger isn't the only thing that can accomplish that press)
>>
>>32184336
Like it or not, most industry-leading gun manufacturers and professionals whose job it is to carry a chambered weapon every day prefer weapons without a manual safety. Perhaps is you carry your Glock in an uncle mike's holster or home-boy style tucked into your wasteband, yeah you might have some problems. but don't blame a perfectly practical (not to mention industry standard) weapon design because of your inability to keep your booger-picker out of the trigger guard or your unwillingness to spend more than $5 for a decent holster.
>>
>>32182387
You could always buy a Ruger AR, no decocker, but a 12lb trigger out of the box.
>>
>>32184320
just posting for shits and giggles. I'd never carry a chambered rifle without a safety. This mentality is perfectly fine for a pistol. Rifle is too bouncy.
>>
>>32184287
>>32184336
Except it's not just your booger hook that makes the bang switch go boom boom. Someone else's finger can, clothing can, a drawstring can, debris on the ground can.

I'm one of those people who's job it is to carry a weapon, and it's in the safest holster I could find. There are several instances, though unlikely, I could be faced with where a safety would be beneficial.

1. Someone successfully gets a hold of my gun. This is much more of an issue for me because I actually have to get close to people who can see my gun and wrestle with them to get them into custody. If they do a successful gun grab, perhaps I'll have that extra second to go all in or grab my backup, more than an extra second if they don't know wtf a safety is and thanks to glocks being popular they probably don't.

2. I'm wrestling with someone in debris (lets say gravel since there's a lot of that here). He's trying to gun grab, he manages to get my gun out and it falls into the gravel, but the safety is still engaged. He sees it and goes for it, I kick it away. With no safety it's likely to go bang. Again, not just your finger.

3. Vehicle ambush situation. I return fire and want to stow my weapon to gtfo, it's much easier to find the bottom of your leg under stress than your holster, or even just tossing it on the dash or seat next to you. If I were to jam it under my leg, could be bad news. If I put it somewhere then go to grab it quickly, could be bad news.

That's just 3 off the top of my head. There's a reason I think about things so thoroughly, but you're not going to believe someone claiming credentials on the internet so w/e, don't listen. You have little real reason to be carrying a gun anyway so what do I care if you have proper tactics vs ND inviting tactics.
>>
File: 1401296798695.jpg (246KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1401296798695.jpg
246KB, 800x600px
>>32184548
>clothing can, a drawstring can, debris on the ground can.
Fucking double action nigga

>I'm one of those people who's job it is to carry a weapon
Let me guess, you work at one of america's largest indoor shopping retailers, use modified electric vehicles and can be anywhere on a given floor within eight and a half minutes.
>>
>>32182461
The firing pin does not have a safety, as such the safety blocks the sear you dumb fucking nigger
>>
>>32184548
Here's another:

4. Wrestling with someone again, shirt comes untucked. We break contact, upon reengagement I have to draw on him, he surrenders and complies, I tell him to lay flat on the ground, I go in to cuff (policy and logic indicates you must holster your weapon first). Bang, my shirt is still untucked from the initial contact.

Glockleg is not a meme. Do you think I'm over-thinking things or would you like to see the articles where shit like this has actually happened? We had a guy in our department who's keys got caught between his holster and it glocklegged him. Don't ask me how his finger magically turned into a key, because apparent only your finger can make bad guys go away according to the unchallengeable wisdom in this thread.
>>
>>32184709
>his finger magically turned into a key
How?
>>
File: WIN_20161202_01_04_05_Pro.jpg (72KB, 640x360px) Image search: [Google]
WIN_20161202_01_04_05_Pro.jpg
72KB, 640x360px
>>32184548
Any police officer in America carries a weapon in a holster, just like mine. Note the three levels of retention? Also note the hard plastic separating the trigger from curious fingers or whatever? You would be far from the first or last person to blame a negligent discharge on s holster or weapon design. But if your holster doesn't cover the trigger, get a new one. If you work for a security company or police department that doesn't give you a holster with active retention and covers the trigger, buy your own or quit. If you're that scared about someone taking your gun, I speak for the rest of the cops on /k/ when I say don't carry a gun.
>>
>>32184709
You keep mentioning your shirt being untucked and I can't for the life of me figure out what in the hell that has to do with an external safety.
>>
meme for mongrels that can't fathom a weapon having more than 2 buttons
>>
>>32184773
It just doesn't make sense using 3 buttons when 2 will do the job just as well.
>>
>>32184773
>not having at least 12 buttons, 4 dials, and a touch screen on your gun
>>
>>32184751
>just like mine.
T-T-T-T-T-THANK U
FOR
U R

C E R V I X

TANKSFORURSERVAX
>>
File: 1417208885389.png (527KB, 858x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1417208885389.png
527KB, 858x1000px
>>32184786
>when 2 will do the job just as well.
But it fucking doesn't
Also
>I am physically incapable of just leaving the goddamn thing off and think that the glock meme trigger is better in more than the tiniest way than a simple double action

If something gets inside the trigger guard and actuates the trigger for the full travel and with enough force the stupid little lever isn't going to do shit.

>inb4 drop safety and more implications
Manual safeties offer increased options, with the same amount of "buttons" as your trigger and often with less mechanical complexity.
>>
>>32184751
That's an ALS/SLS, it's a level 2... If you had the taclight version your trigger would be exposed, so just don't work at night or in a building where lights can go off. But seriously that's a huge flaw with those holsters and as far as I'm concerned they're as corner cutting as glock for allowing that issue to come to existence.

The safariland 7ts series are the only light bearing holsters they make where you can't get your finger in the guard. You're a generation behind, if your SWAT (Securitas Weapons And Tactics) unit issued you that outdated thing, maybe you should quit.

>>32184763
Some people shouldn't be carrying a gun...
>>
>>32182461

On an HK 416 it does
>>
>>32182423
Scabbard vs holster
>>
Glocks are inherently unsafe. GlockUser.mp4:

https://youtu.be/zYvAxLX6OzE?t=25s
>>
>>32185113
Skip to 1:26 for another video of someone who didn't need a safety

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ky5Xi6RsRqk
>>
This one is fucking hilarious. Again, a Glock https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nuR5A6IcUbg
>>
File: m'lady.jpg (42KB, 479x720px) Image search: [Google]
m'lady.jpg
42KB, 479x720px
>>32184223
>>
>>32181693
Rifle are bigger making it easier to add a safety cheaply.
>>
>>32182612
Disconnects are worthless and contribute to bad triggers. No thank you.
>>
>>32183205
That really made me think.
>>
>all of these retards shooting themselves with their glocks
just another reason to only carry cocked and locked or da/sa
>>
>>32184709
>Glockleg is not a meme
Glockleg is a meme, only a retard pulls the trigger while drawing their gun, you shot yourself because you're a mouthbreather.
>>
>>32184650
And the purpose of a firing pin blocks is a drop safety you coconut fucker
>>
File: picture_192.jpg (56KB, 375x644px) Image search: [Google]
picture_192.jpg
56KB, 375x644px
>>32182016
Thread posts: 97
Thread images: 14

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.