[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Bluepill me on the StG 44. Why wasn't it one of the

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 27
Thread images: 5

Bluepill me on the StG 44. Why wasn't it one of the best WWII weapons?
>>
>>32178805
it was
>>
It was produced too little and too late to make much of a difference. One on one it was phenomenal, but when you've got entire battalions with Garands versus mostly Kar98ks and a handful of StG44s the volume of fire equation favors the Garands.
>>
>too late in the war.
>not enough fielded.
>expensive and time consuming to produce
>>
it came late, (44) and then either destroyed or sold to africa and middle east by the commies
>>
>>32178805
Though looking at it today, it has it's flaws, when it was fielded it was revolutionary, nobody had ever fielded an intermediate caliber select-fire rifle with detachable magazines as an infantry rifle before.
>inb4 muh 6.5mm Arisaka LMG

One of the initial ideas was to let a rifleman briefly fit the role of an LMG gunner, but the thing can really fill the role of a subgun and rifle at the exact same time and do so consistently, being easy to use and powerful for rapid fire at closer quarters but also having enough range and power to matter at longer distances (featuring better accuracy than a subgun).

While this was a very good weapon where it was used, it was just not enough to change the war (even assuming all their rifles and subguns had magically been replaced by these), as there was just too many fundamental problems with the Wehrmacht, the war plans, and German society, for it to function and triumph.

>>32178832
If every Nazi had one of these everyone would be scared as shit, but it wouldn't change the final outcome of the war.
If anything it would force the Allies and Soviets to look at the development of assault rifles immediately, rather than wait afterwards.

>>32178845
The Soviets did give away a lot of captured German weapons as military aid to sympathetic countries, which is why you'll actually see a fair amount of Mausers, MP40s, Sturmgewerhs and MGs float around in middle Africa to this day.
It's not unusual to see a photo of a guerilla fighter with tribal facepaint and a Mauser in their hands.

For that matter, an entire shipping crate of Sturmgewerhs, magazines and 7.92x33mm ammo was discovered and used by Libyan rebels in the uprising a few years ago, who knows where it came from, probably intercepted military aid from days of yore.
A lot of German shit showed up in the breakup of Yugoslavia as well.
>>
>>32179593
With those Libyan and Syrian STGs they've basically run out of ammo so now nobody knows what to do with them. A guy spoke with TFB I think and said he has a few and wishes he could export them to the US because they're extremely cheap there.
>>
>>32178805
>prop it up against a wall
>kick it over
>jams
>>
Notice it's similarity to modern military rifles?
That's it's legacy.
Not the be all end all of rifles but a place where the concepts began to come together.
>>
They never made enough ammo for them.
>>
The medium cartridge was perfect for street fighting, especially when everyone else was using 9mm, but not a great field rifle
>>
File: scan_Page_05cs.jpg (174KB, 1319x581px) Image search: [Google]
scan_Page_05cs.jpg
174KB, 1319x581px
>>32178805
break the stock and it is useless
>>
>>32179593
>A lot of German shit showed up in the breakup of Yugoslavia as well.

Came out of grandpa's bunker under the root cellar.
>>
>>32179626
That was probably rather exaggerated.

>>32180231
Also for the fact that 7.92x57mm used to be a standard military cartridge there, if you had an old German MG, you could easily hope to feed it (well, an MG18 and stuff, anyway, finding enough belt to keep an MG42 going was kind of a challenge).

I think it was only relatively recently that the Serbs retired the cartridge from military service.
>>
>>32180457
A small anecdote comes to mind (don't know if this was strictly from Yugoslavia or the 90's), an old British mercenary came here and told some stories once, he mentioned some Eastern European merc company being really excited to have scored an MG42, because they're badass and terrifying to be shot at with, and while they found plenty of ammo, they only ever got ahold of a single belt so they never got to use it.
>>
>>32180106
An M16 works pretty poorly if you break off it's stock yet it's still one of the best rifles ever made.
>>
>>32180543
unlike the M-16, MP-44 stock is really easy to break
they should have mass produce MKb.42(H) instead
>>
>>32178841
It wasn't expensive of time consuming to produce. Stop repeating this retarded meme about anything German. It's made mostly out of stamped sheet metal. That's very cheap.
>>
File: M53_šarac.jpg (1005KB, 2048x907px) Image search: [Google]
M53_šarac.jpg
1005KB, 2048x907px
>>32179593
Yugoslavia made copies of German guns too. The M53 was a near exact copy of the MG42; they just couldn't (or chose not to) replicate the firing rate.

>>32180457
8x57 IS is still in service in Serbia, but it is slowly being phased out by 7.62x54R.
>>
>>32178805
>Why wasn't it one of the best WWII weapons?
because logistics win wars, and the germans couldn't produce enough to make a difference
>>
>>32181078
He's arguably right if you compare it to the Stg45(m) model, which cost like half as much to make, but that was like at the very end of the war and it didn't matter for Nazi Germany at that point (it really mattered more for H&K).

>>32181113
I think lowering the rate of fire on the MG42 design is a pretty solid idea, anything north of 900rpm on an infantry weapon is hard to justify in my opinion.
>>
>>32181143
Oh yeah, the Germans, contrary to their propaganda, were actually really awful at logistics.
>>
>>32181340
I dunno, as an area denial tool the mg42 is pretty fucking choice m8
>>
File: confused junkrat.jpg (24KB, 400x400px) Image search: [Google]
confused junkrat.jpg
24KB, 400x400px
>>32178805
>bluepill me
wat
>>
>>32178805
>bluepill me
Ok
It sucked. Hard. Like a batallion of slavs versus a batallion of krauts with the slavs holding pointy fuck sticks and the krauts with the stg 44 would meet, and then polish cavalry would somehow win.
>>
it weighed the most, thereby giving the Waffen-SS tremendous gains
>>
>>32181459
Until you run out of the ammo you have with you, consider that 900rpm is really fucking fast already.
Thread posts: 27
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.