[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is there any advantage that a M1911 offers that a conventional

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 78
Thread images: 11

File: 1911a1.png (1MB, 1530x958px) Image search: [Google]
1911a1.png
1MB, 1530x958px
Is there any advantage that a M1911 offers that a conventional polymer gun doesn't?

I'm looking at getting one full-sized handgun and I like the 1911's battery of arms, slimness & vast aftermarket support but damn, that weight and low capacity...

can't decide wat do
>>
>>32165273
1911s can have great triggers, and a lot of people just like the "feel".

Problem with 1911s is that to get a good one you really have to pay a lot, and the compact models often have problems.

IMO, if you want a fullsize gear, range, or competition pistol a 1911 can be great. If you want a CC, just get a subcompact like an XD, Shield, or Glawk.
>>
You can throw it at someone or hit them and it will most likely hurt them more and hold up better than its plastic cousin
>>
>>32165285

it's odd because the 1911 has features that I both absolutely love and hate. I am not prejudiced against polymer but the slim factor is irresistible and I like the hammer and manual safety.

Was looking at getting a Springfield Loaded if I go the 1911 route but I have heard mixed things albeit most of it was positive.

Only interested in .45ACP if that helps
>>
>>32165273
fuckin respect.
>>
>>32165312

Firing a 1911 will put hair on your chest for sure.
>>
>>32165306
I'll tell ya that a lot of people I know in person talk a big game about how a fullsize or compact all metal gun is not too much for them to CC. It's like, a machismo kinda thing. ("Hurr a REAL MAN can always CC a fullsize!")

But you know, if you pay attention for a while you'll notice that often those guys will get lazy about their CCing.

>"Oh it's just a trip to the grocery store."
>"Oh it's just a BBQ"
>etc etc

And then after a few months they only end up CCing like 10% of the time.

I'd rather CC something extremely light and be able to do it 100% of the time. The trade of sight radius and a capacity is worth it IMO for defense to know I've always got it.

I'd really steer towards a single stack subcompact 45 like the XD.
>>
>>32165273
Its only low capacity if you imagine in your mind that carrying 8 rounds plus a spare mag or two is not enough to kill the one active shooter at your mall or in your house, or whatever scenario you imagine.

One of the major selling points of the 1911 to me is that you can FULLY disassemble the entire handgun with its own parts. Another is that you can customize it more so than any other handgun.

Now if your scenario is SHTF, then honestly any handgun will do because you should have a rifle or shotgun as a primary gun.

Another thing to consider is how slim the magazines are compared to double stack mags for the wonder 9s.

I have a Colt ww1 repro that ive upgraded up the wazoo. And i recommend starting out with a Colt 1911 if you want something that you plan to keep forever. I am not recommending a RIA or similar only because 1911s last for fucking ever, and there really isnt a reason to sell one just to upgrade. They are all the same, its just Colt keeps true to the design unlike springfield which uses a different firing pin, and kimber which has its own safety mechanism, and sig sauer which has multiple differences in mechanics and slide design.

Get it in stainless if you dont wanna worry about scratches. Dont get it in parkerized, the parkerized finish makes the gun feel rough. Get blued only if thats your only option other than stainless. I say this because I have worn the bluing on the frame off, and I constantly have to lubricate the frame to prevent rust. My slide is still untouched.
>>
>>32165306
If you're going to get a singlestack, you may as well get a .45 ACP I suppose.
>>
>>32165273
100 years worth of improvements on a sinle platform
It's literally superior to all other handguns in that regard
>>
>>32165273
No, the hundred year old gun offers no advantages against modern polymer designs. It's a perfectly good weapon, as others have pointed out, but it doesn't do anything better than modern weapons and you shouldn't expect it to.
>>
>>32165319
And then burn it right back off. Fucking metal
>>
>>32165273
The obvious one is the trigger, also the customization potential, ability to be your own gunsmith, and natural pointabilitity.

For carry I like something plain like your pic, although for plinking or competition you may want better sights. The beavertail is pointless, also the tactical safety. I'm neutral on front strap checkering, it seems nice but I don't notice a difference.
>>
File: IMAG0842.jpg (2MB, 1836x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMAG0842.jpg
2MB, 1836x3264px
Honestly a couple things need to be considered.
-The weight difference isn't all that much, and full size handgun will feel about the same.
-low capacity is an honest drawback, but it depends how much it bothers you
-poly and wondernines are known to be very reliable at feeding all kinds of rounds, where 1911s are notorious for not feeding anything but hardball jacket. Which I can agree, that's been my experience.
-the guns are all pretty cheap. ATI, RI, and supposedly TISAS are all very well made handguns. They're really the only manufacturers who make traditional style 1911s, and they're dirt cheap. The model is 106 years old, its hard to fuck it up.
-1911 triggers are known to feel really good, I can confirm that.
-the guns are generally comfy, 45 recoil and heavy pistol are a great combo
-I got two, I recommend
>>
>>32165273
the average hi-capacity .45 has a 10rd magazine, the 1911 has 8+1 which is only one less, so a double stack magazine is not giving you much except for being bulkier to hold
>>
>>32165468

So say even a mid-range 1911 like a Colt would not be able to fire JHP? wow that fucking sucks.

Capacity isn't a terribly big concern to me but being stuck to FMJ is definitely a bummer

Not looking for a repro but an upgraded 1911 if thats important
>>
>>32165273

>11.43×23mm
>SAO
>The Year of our Trump 2016

Shiggy diggy doo
>>
>>32165486

You're not "stuck" to FMJ, but you'll need to play around with different JHPs to find one that your model plays well with.

Steep ass feed ramps yo, JHP for handguns didnt exist when the 1911 was made.
>>
>>32165273
Try a CZ97B with slim grips.
>>
Nothing points like a 1911 imo. Damn, they feel good in my hand.

You could also do worse when it comes to HD. For CCW, maybe look elsewhere.
>>
>>32165560

this is an appealing alternative but I really have to think hard on it.
>>
File: German Hi Power (4).jpg (57KB, 640x535px) Image search: [Google]
German Hi Power (4).jpg
57KB, 640x535px
>>32165273
Just get a hi power and remove the mag disconnect safety.

I have thin hogue grips on mine and it feels like absolute fucking perfection in the hand, even better than a 1911.
>>
>>32165633

>9mm
>>
>>32165328
I agree with what you're saying, but I cc my Colt Mustang pretty much everywhere. Only occasionally do I strap on my .45
>>
File: STIPerfect10_zps6e775b71.jpg (46KB, 800x535px) Image search: [Google]
STIPerfect10_zps6e775b71.jpg
46KB, 800x535px
has anybody had experience with double stack 1911s?

How THICC are they?
>>
You can hand load .45 ACP so hot at mid range .44 magnum power levels.
Hot loaded .45 ACP can easily match 10mm power as well.

You can also completely take it apart with no tools.
>>
>>32165832

>You can also completely take it apart with no tools.

Just like literally every other pistol ever...?
>>
File: fit-girls-1.jpg (30KB, 427x600px) Image search: [Google]
fit-girls-1.jpg
30KB, 427x600px
>>32165807

Only got to shoot one. I wouldnt attempt to CC one, theyre huge and heavy but I think theyre pretty attractive and I definitely one or something like it.

STI is known for premium
>>
>>32165907

I think he means you can fully break it down, vs. a field strip.

I know for a fact you need several tools to fully disassemble/reassemble a USP9, for example.
>>
>>32165907
Complete disassembly and field stripping are two different things.
>>
>>32165509
underrated
>>
>>32165668
I have a small dick and an inferiority complex: the post
>>
File: SiG6rx8.jpg (26KB, 408x366px) Image search: [Google]
SiG6rx8.jpg
26KB, 408x366px
>>32165832
>45 = 10mm
>>
Does this count as a 1911?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g9jg1K8EHIA
>>
>>32166715

Right? Its bigger :^)
>>
>>32165486
Whether your 1911 can fire certain JHPs is generally down to magazine design. Your garden variety Colt-branded magazine (made by Metalform) has medium-length, semi-tapered feed lips with a split-level, non-tilting follower that feeds MOST stuff MOST of the time. General rule of thumb is that round-nose, heavy-weight bullets need full-length, tapered feed lips and odd-shaped or lightweight bullets need short, straight feed lips for max reliability.

tl;dr, it's not the gun per se, but certain mag and ammo combinations don't always play nice.
>>
>>32165807
Got to fire one some time ago, I could never get used to how thick as fuck it is. It felt like my hands were getting fatigued faster.
>>
>>32165273
Great gun really, just make sure you buy it in 9mm.
>>
File: wilsonkzpistol.jpg~original.jpg (185KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
wilsonkzpistol.jpg~original.jpg
185KB, 1024x768px
>>32165273
Just buy a polymer one.
>>
>>32166715

.45 Super is basically .45 ACP +P+ and it's ballistic performance is identical to 10mm
>>
>>32168680
>it is ballistic performance is

Disregarded because it's written by a moron
>>
File: Colt Lightweight Commander.png (106KB, 450x325px) Image search: [Google]
Colt Lightweight Commander.png
106KB, 450x325px
>>32165333
Pretty much /this

My brother-in-law used to carry a G26 until he shot my full size. He carries a Colt lightweight commander now.

My full size is an aluminum frame so it's lighter, but I would get either a steel frame or a commander next time.
>>
>>32165486
Its been proven many times that .45 ball ammo does more damage than JHP as ball ammo in .45 mushrooms just fine and causes huge wound cavities
>>
>Wanting an outdated piece of shit when you can get a handgun for a quarter the price with 4x the capacity
>>
>>32171291
Brash but I kinda agree with this post. Really fun range toys and inherently accurate but I don't have a suppressor so 45 acp offers nothing but lower capacity, increased recoil, and increased cost. It is a rather outdated design and I'd never cc one.
>>
File: DSC01067.jpg (33KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
DSC01067.jpg
33KB, 640x480px
>>32165807
>How THICC are they?
the thickest part of the grip is roughly the same as a 1911 with normal grips. the issue is the double stack grip is rectangular compared to oval. its not a soft rectangle like most double stackgun you really feel the edges
>>
>>32171291
Really? Where can you get a double stack .45 for $100?
>>
File: IMG_1599.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1599.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
>>
>>32171053
>ball ammo in .45 mushrooms just fine
...wat?
>>
since you don't seem to understand the whole "google" thing, here you go

https://www.google.com/?gws_rd=ssl#q=single+stack+polymer+pistol
>>
>>32165273
They make polymer 1911's.
>>
I really want a 1911 how do I get a not-shit one
>>
>>32174348
1911s are a journey that you build on. Like hotrodding an old car. Make sure your bones are good.

Avoid anything with an aluminum frame. Get a forged steel frame, then immediately send it to your local gunsmith for polishing.

Look for an old: OLD as in 1970s/ early 80s STAR or equivalent Spanish pistol, or early 90s colt. I dont care about politics, so Norinco makes a great 1911, as do many turk clones.

Ensure your gun is rated for +P ammo or better. Why? Even if you never shoot it, getting a gun that is made to take a higher degree of abuse and never going there ensures a nice longevity.

do not pay over 400 dollars for your 1911. Fuck, go to pawn shops in the area and don't pay more than 200.

On polymer 1911s: They are good and work, but you are gonna pay for it.
ATI FXH-45
EAA Witness 1911 Polymer
google around, you will find more.
>>
>>32174470
I don't want polymer, I want a proper 1911 brand 1911

Buying used/pawn shop may be out of the question. Only pawn shop I know that sells guns wanted $700 for a yugo sks
>>
>>32169726

Its autocorrect.
>>
>>32165273
Are you comfortable financially? Buy both. Not comfortable financially? Buy a polymer gun.
>>
>>32165333
Because when SHTF you can't use a fucking nail to fully disassemble a Glock right
>>
>>32165333
>Get a 1911 becuz they all the same
>Except all the wunz that aren't the same
>but uhh well umm
>>
>>32165273
OP, the 1911 is a fine gun. It's better at killing people than it ever has been before in history--and it has its list of advantages.

But there are disadvantages. Yes capacity is lower. Yes it's heavy. But that's the cost of being thin and steel... which can be seen as two advantages.

Never listen to someone who says they're obsolete. Old? Yes. Optimal? Probably not. But it's still a damn good gun and it's killed a lot more people than you'll ever need to.
>>
>>32171053
Literally shut the fuck up retard
>>
>>32174470
Protip there is literally nothing wrong with a cast 1911

>what is caspian

Even a fucking SR1911 casting is up to the job of outlasting you

Literally nothing wrong with an alloy frame either

You are a fudd moron knownothing
>>
>>32174586
Cool story bro, let me see you detail strip a glock with a nail.

>>32174597
>Get a 1911 becuz they all the same
Where did I say that kid? I recommended one brand vs others because mechanical function in most, except the 3 I listed, are all identical.

You must be 18 or older to post on this site. At least get through a reading and comprehension course before posting stupid shit kid.
>>
>>32174782
I use a Starret 3/16 punch

Apparently you have never taken apart a Glock
>>
>>32174634
no. I am a metallurgist. The Grain pattern in cast vs forged is markedly different. Its why in a car, a forged crankshaft is desirable over a cast.

Alloy is subjective, and for a first time owner of a 1911, I default to suggesting get a CHEAP forged model, and take it to a gun smith to have its moving surfaces, and internals polished.

You failed to even provide an example of why you feel the way you do. You are the "fudd" because you are spreading faslehoods based on your own feelings, but hey, dont take my word for it. Lets use science instead.

http://blog.cmworks.com/forging-vs-casting-which-is-better/

" Forged parts had a 26% higher tensile strength than the cast parts. This means you can have stronger shackles at a lower part weight.

Forged parts have a 37% higher fatigue strength resulting in a factor of six longer fatigue life. This means that a forged shackle is going to last longer.

Cast iron only has 66% of the yield strength of forged steel. Yield strength is an indicator of what load a shackle will hold before starting to deform.

The forged parts had a 58% reduction in area when pulled to failure. The cast parts only had a 6% reduction in area. That means there would be much greater deformation before failure in a forged part."

Stop being a fudd, an stop thinking with your feelings. Good day.
>>
>>32165273
You can get a rail on it that isn't polymer.

Could mount something under there that won't slip off.
>>
>>32165285
>Problem with 1911s is that to get a good one you really have to pay a lot,
I disagree, my Norinco 1911 (paid under 400) has been doing fine in normal range use. I've gotten about a several hundred rounds through it so far, and has been working fine. I know of others with norincos, and rock island that are in the thousands of rounds.
>>
>>32165273
get a double stack
>>
>>32165273
It is great as second gun for range and fun
>>
>>32168593
Kill yourself
>>
>>32177132
Why? I didn't make it
>>
>>32176329
You're also fucking retarded because a handgun frame will never see as much abuse or wear/tear as an engine crankshaft
>>
>>32177180
your goalpost keeps moving.
>>32174634
"Protip there is literally nothing wrong with a cast 1911....Even a fucking SR1911 casting is up to the job of outlasting you "

You are immediately hostile to a fairly friendly post. You are an asshole. you are also very, very, wrong. Depending on the application and cartridge, a 1911 will crack.

>>32174470
I said.
"1911s are a journey that you build on. Like hotrodding an old car. Make sure your bones are good."

There is an implicit understanding required that the philosophy is; the gun will be modified or learned with and that "you" (the operator) want it to last.

A stock cast 1911 will not withstand the more punishing rounds that people may modify it to feed. In particular, part of the charm of a 1911 is its aesthetics, trigger function, and the power of the .45.

When converted to fire 10mm, or .45 super, weaker frames crack. Its all over the internet.

So let me save you some time, your next argument is that that modifying a gun is incorrect, or I am incorrect. I am going to sit here, and keep slapping the shit out of you, anonymously, not because "lol troll", but because you are wrong, and spreading misinformation. Not all 1911s are created equal, and the guy asked what gun would be good. That is subjective. So because my good is not your good, you attacked me. Guess what? Fuck off Crybully.
>>
>>32177974
addendum.
A forged slide is nice but not overly important. A forged frame is, again, assumed that would be understood, but I wont leave it to chance.

>>32165273
OP. at the end of the day, figure out why you want it and what you want to do with it, and go from there.
>>
>>32165273
>Hey guys, is metal better than plastic in any way? Just wondering

Well gee OP I dunno, I'm really gonna have to think about that one
>>
>>32165273
>Only 8 rounds
>heavy
>not 9mm
>not a hi power
>>
>>32165273
M1911 advantages over conventional polymer pistols.

>Slimmer so easier to CC compared to double stack polymer pistols
>Slimmer so also easier to use for people with small hands compared to double stack designs
>Easier to do full disassembly for detailed maintenance or customization
>Less felt recoil compared to polymer framed .45s due to being all-steel there-by heavier
>Might get longer sight radius due to longer slide/barrel
>More history in the design; you're holding a small part of WWI history in your hand when you hold an M1911
>Possibly more comfortable/pointable ergonomics (Depends on individual)
>Possibly better trigger (Depends on design, also to an extent the individual)
>Sexier (Again depends on individual, but you'd have to be some kind of radical anti-M1911 faggot or radical fanboy of some other design to say the M1911 design isn't sexy)

So that people don't think I'm an M1911 fanboy

Polymer framed full-size pistols are...

>Generally lighter
>Higher capacity
>Easier field strip (not full disassembly)
>Controls might be better placed (don't have to change grip on pistol to access; I have big hands but find I have to change my grip to reach the mag release)
>Reloads might be a bit faster due to larger mag well

As far as accuracy is concerned, it's a moot point. If Hickok45 can take an original WWII M1911A1 to 200m, then the difference in accuracy between an M1911 and a modern polymer pistol is negligible.

As far as reliability is concerned, considering the M1911/M1911A1 has passed with flying colours through WWI, WWII, Korea, Vietnam, as well as Iraq/Afghanistan and the Gulf War and so on and so forth, again, it's negligible.

In the end, yes the M1911 design is heavier than modern Military-sized pistols (even all-steel ones), and it's smaller capacity, but it's foolish to say that it is completely disadvantageous to conventional full-sized polymer pistols, and it's doubly foolish to say it's outdated. It performs just as well.
>>
>>32173053
Never underestimate the power of fuddlore
>>
File: manurhin-mr73-357mag-4-pouces.jpg (280KB, 2000x1564px) Image search: [Google]
manurhin-mr73-357mag-4-pouces.jpg
280KB, 2000x1564px
>>32176329
No offense, but I thought this was common knowledge since middle ages. Steel HAS to be forged to get specific properties.
Thread posts: 78
Thread images: 11

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.