[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why isnt the side by side shotgun more popular nowadays? It

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

File: dbl_barrel_02.jpg (2MB, 2625x1112px) Image search: [Google]
dbl_barrel_02.jpg
2MB, 2625x1112px
Why isnt the side by side shotgun more popular nowadays?

It has an extremely simple action
Very cheap to manufacture
Infinitely reliable

Why dont you own a side by side, /k/?
And if you were to buy one, what make and model would it be?
>>
>>32163842
Because autos can be had for just as cheap and hold more rounds?
>>
>>32163846
Also pumps.
>>
Single shot is like 65 dollars.
>>
>>32163842
Over-under is more aesthetic
>>
>>32163842
Because pumpguns are a far better value, mostly.

I got both of my Mossmans used for under $150.

I've never seen a SxS in an LGS or pawnshop for less than $350 for a complete piece of shit.

If they were reasonably priced anywhere, I'd probs have at least 2, one lupara'd and one full-size.
>>
>>32163892
And also way more expensive. The over under's action is way more complex
>>
>in my area, you can get 2 decent quality budget pump guns for the price of a Stoeger sxs

I don't get it. Single shot break-opens are cheap as fuck. Why the fuck are sxs shotguns so expensive?
>>
>>32163927
Because of pump action being so popular, most manufacturers make them as mantel pieces
I think the market could use a cheap side by side

A utilitarian gun for the consumer who doesn't want to break the bank for a gun but doesn't want a world war 2 russian bolt action. Im sure a side by side can be mass produced and sold at around $150 new
>>
>>32163892
Over unders always struck me as weird looking.
>>
>>32163842
>>32163927
Double barrels of any sort are harder to make as a rule because of the skill and therefore expense of making both barrels shoot the same spot.
>>
>>32164056
But both barrels never shoot the exact same spot

It's the nature of side by sides that one spread is slightly to the right and one slightly to the left of where you aimed, but because of the spread of buck and bird, it really doesn't matter

You can still go slug hunting with double barrels, but you need to keep the variation in mind
>>
>>32164128
They still need to be regulated so they hit roughly the spot in front of the gun. Nobody would want a shotgun with a meter or two gap between the patterns. Thats where the expense lies.
>>
Pumps and autos being popular in the US and parts of Europe; enough so that they take up most of the sales.

Low priced doubles will always be twice the price of low priced pumps simply due to the amount made; more made = cheaper to sell.

Stoeger/Boito and the odd thing from China tend to be the cheap doubles. They work, albeit there's lemons amongst the production runs (like with Rossi).

I wish Rossi made their hammer coach guns again.
>>
>>32163842
I buyed one once like picture it shooted real good but it hurt my head real bad
>>
>>32163842

As for what to buy:

Bite the Stoeger bullet

Hickok45 has a video of his up.

Mine works about as well as his.
>>
File: DP12.jpg (22KB, 564x705px) Image search: [Google]
DP12.jpg
22KB, 564x705px
>>32163879
Why not both!

Actually, silly and expensive as this is... it does have an (entertaining) prospect for sheer destructive potential
>>
>>32163842
>very cheap to manufacture
Nope, double barrel shotguns are much more complicated and expensive to make than a pump or semi auto shotgun. Theyre kind of a niche firearm these days with clay shooting being their biggest purpose
>>
>It has an extremely simple action
Sure

>Very cheap to manufacture
Wrong. Drilling two concentric barrels gets expensive the more you want them actually pointed at the same place.

A turkshit double barrel, cheap as they come, costs more than a cheap american pump shotgun, and there ain't any such animal as a cheap american double barrel.

>Infinitely reliable
Break action shotguns wear out over time, plausibly faster than pump action.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.