[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I've started doing backyard forging of soft metals like

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 2

I've started doing backyard forging of soft metals like aluminum and brass.

Would aluminum make a good material to make buck or birdshot out of? Any issues with it I'm not seeing?
>>
File: 1349934047762.jpg (118KB, 520x390px) Image search: [Google]
1349934047762.jpg
118KB, 520x390px
Aluminum is soft and would make shit buckshot, not to mention it is a thousand times harder and more expensive to make than steel. You are retarded and obviously have no fucking clue what you are doing.
>>
>>32156464
Aluminum isn't very dense. You'd get awful ballistics.
>>
too light. won't fly far. you'd be better off throwing rocks.

Are you casting or forging?
>>
>>32156499
I'm making it out of scrap aluminum cans that I'm not paying for, so it's really no expense to me.

Literally just melting cans and pouring the aluminum into molds.

>>32156510
Looking for something /k/ to make with soft metals. Knives are out and I don't know any other /k/ things. So far just been making art nicknacks and ingots.
>>
>>32156464
back yard foraging? like from the piles of empty beer cans your dad left back there? aluminum is too light to make good shot, and you'd need a shot tower to make proper lead shot. unless you wanted to mold pour it a few pieces at a time. brass would sort of work but you'd make more money scrapping it and buying cheap shells.
>>
>>32156532
nigga that's casting not forging u dumb

go make nunchucks and you're a faggot.
>>
>>32156532
you could cast ar lowers, copper axe heads, meme belt buckles, ersatz bayonet handles, dragon dildos, and you could probably make an only moderately dangerous .22 derringer.
>>
>>32156464
no.

Jesus learn some basic shit before wasting a thread.
>>
>>32156464
It's soft as hell and not nearly as dense as steel. You're going to spend more money making a batch of it than you would buying 100 rounds of buckshot.
>>
You could make a slug out of some solid alloy bar.

Would be long as fuck because aluminum alloy is so light.

It is harder and less malleable than lead.

Get a mill/drill press so you can face off surfaces and holes on the shit you cast. Make your own shit from car parts to gun parts or just about anything.
>>
Go for an alloy. Try to get some copper and combine them to make brass. Don't listen to the guy who said cast ar lowers. Too many difficulties with casting
>>
>>32156928
Gotta correct myself. Not aluminum and copper. Copper and nickle. Melt some pennies
>>
>>32156939
Damn it. Copper and zinc. My metals are mixed up. Although some nickle wouldn't hurt. Nor some lead
>>
>>32156532
>Looking for something /k/ to make with soft metals.
Improvised weapons, making any sort of bullet out of aluminum is stupid, expensive and light, for shotguns you want cheap and heavy.

Why don't you find some nice hard stock and form a penetrator, then cast lead around it? I'll be honest, it's easier to just drill out slugs and bullets on a mill, but you wanted ideas.
>>
>>32156939
>>32156957

Aluminum brass is a thing though.
>>
>>32157035
Yes but I didn't want him to think to make it out of say 80% Al and then 20% copper. I don't think I've seen an alloy contain pass 10% Al and 10% is stretching it.
>>
Aluminum also has flammability issues. It doesn't ignite particularly easily, but it burns very hot when it does.

If you're more into chemistry than I am, it might be possible to introduce some sort of fluoridating/oxidizing agent to encourage it to ignite. Making custom reloads that sling flaming aluminum downrange would be pretty awesome, but I imagine that would be rather unstable.
>>
>>32156532
don't know the prices of pewter but you can melt it even on a hob with a frying pan
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.