[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Heyo /k/ I'm looking to begin reloading and wanted to ask

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 5

File: 20161016_144951[1].jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161016_144951[1].jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
Heyo /k/
I'm looking to begin reloading and wanted to ask about help with choice of powder, primer, and such. I know what I need in the way of equipment and tools, but I don't know what exactly I need for my ammunition. I'm using .32ACP and .32 S&W long.
>>
File: .45-70 510gr handload.jpg (1MB, 1660x1548px) Image search: [Google]
.45-70 510gr handload.jpg
1MB, 1660x1548px
>>32146517

Have you bought a reloading manual yet? Most any reloading manual will have plenty of load data for your cartridges. It will detail cartridge overall length, powder charge, primer and bullet used, as well as chamber pressures and velocity of said loads.
>>
>>32146577
Not yet, it's a sort of christmas gift to myself when the time comes around. The other reason is my local relatives wanted to send me some of the supplies as a gift.
>>
>>32146584

Just be careful loading for those small rounds and stick to the load data. A seemingly small powder overcharge can cause huge pressure spikes. Not at all trying to scare you, just respect the potential of the materials you're using.

Before I had ever deprimed and resized my first case I had spent hours reading and understanding all of the fundamentals of reloading and I'm still learning more all the time.
>>
>>32146674
Any idea where I can find the information online? I was told there was a PDF somewhere
>>
>>32146517
Different guns, in different hands, at different places act differently to different powders.

Some powders are more temperature sensitive than others. Some are more shot for shot consistent.

The thing is you have to figure out what powder is best via trial and error.

Ex. I hear people sign songs of praise for Varget but it doesn't give me a very consistent grouping but IMR 4064 does for some reason in the cartridges I load.
>>
>>32146768
I'm not looking into getting complicated, I'm just wanting to reload my own ammunition so I don't have to pay $25 a box for autos.
>>
>>32146866
Same reason I started to reload. My advice is to find a powder that you have data for both on and use that.

The .32 S&W long will most likely be your limiting cartridge. For me that ended up being for .30-06 for my garand.
>>
>>32147007
data? you mean like what amount of powder?
>>
>>32147386
Yes. And if you like old / obsolete / weird guns you are going to want to buy multiple reloading manuals. Not all the manuals cover all rounds.

Actually couldn't hurt to pick up one or so before you start reloading. Try picking up a used copy and reading the how-to section.
>>
>>32147474
Graf & Sons (a company you will want to get to know if you reload) has hornady's most recent manual on sale for $11.
>>
>>32147474
right now this is what I'm looking at: http://www.ebay.com/itm/122035012496?_trksid=p2055119.m1438.l2649&ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT
it has what looks like something that measures the powder for you so can I trust that?
The guns I'm going to be shooting them through is the 1903 above and an AP-MBP
>>
>>32147744
Lee dies are passable and as a bonus the dies come with some reloading data.

Shop around for the best deal and don't shy away from used dies (they are hard as heck to break).

As for the powder measure, I don't trust them. Get a scale (balance or digital).

The two websites I order most of my components from are
www.midwayusa.com
www.grafs.com

Others may recommend other websites.
Before you make the plunge start watching how to videos on YouTube about reloading / handloading.
>>
>>32147882
What I need to find out is what primer I use for the .32 auto, and what type of powder I use as default. The reloading data helps a lot but I don't have the components to do it
>>
>>32147882
This is what I'm seeing right now: https://www.midwayusa.com/small-pistol/br?cid=22428
Is there a specific primer from this selection I need?
>>
>>32148435
Primers are set by the brass case. 32 ACP should be small pistol.
>>32148489
You are going to want to look at your reloading data to see what primer exactly to use. My guess is standard small pistol, but you could be surprised and they could call for magnum small pistol primers. Check your local gun shops for powder/primers at first since shipping them requires a hazmat fee (not always worth it for just a pound of powder or a box of primers).

You are asking a lot of questions. While not a bad thing (better to ask and be corrected than to get it wrong when dealing with explosives/highly combustible things), I repeat you should get yourself a reloading manual and read the how-to section (I did this before I started to reload). You can also peruse the load data for the rounds you want to reload.
>>
File: IMG_20161128_210251758 (Large).jpg (909KB, 1080x1920px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_20161128_210251758 (Large).jpg
909KB, 1080x1920px
does federal XM80CL have crimped primer pockets?

its lake city brass, so i'm assuming it does, so what does one do to remove the crimp without a special tool?
>>
>>32149040
I use one of these. Great for large numbers of cases.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/235832/rcbs-primer-pocket-swager-combo-2
>>
File: tmp_25648-DSC_01471869619169.jpg (2MB, 3840x2160px) Image search: [Google]
tmp_25648-DSC_01471869619169.jpg
2MB, 3840x2160px
If you're looking to reload for precision, like for competitions, don't get a kit. Piece everything out individually and get quality hardware; buy once, cry once. I started out with a Lee starter kit and ended up upgrading everything.
>>
>>32146517
I dunno shit about reloading but I know that's fuckin sexy.
>>
File: 20161016_145018[1].jpg (1MB, 2560x1440px) Image search: [Google]
20161016_145018[1].jpg
1MB, 2560x1440px
>>32149929
Thanks, that's my family heirloom. First model Colt 1903.
>>
>>32148936
That sounds like a good idea, a gun show comes in on the 31st, not too far from when I plan to get it, so if I get the book at the store where I'm going to get the reloading set, I can look through it and get the specifications I need. Now what I wanted to ask was, isn't there an online version of one of the books? When I went to my gun shop, they told me about something like this
>>
>>32150177
Most powder manufacturers release load data for common rounds. Some bullet manufacturers do that too for common rounds.

Most of the data from this guy's page seems to follow what the books say.
http://stevespages.com/page8a.htm
Just don't go using data found on the internet without learning the basics from a published source.

For more try googling "reloading data" or "load data"
>>
>>32150598
As for how to reload. Just Google that. There are many who are more experienced than I am who are willing to share their knowledge.

Many good reloading videos also exist on YouTube.
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.