[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why don't some gun ranges allow steel case ammo? I bought

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 1

File: usa-ammo-forged-winchester.jpg (36KB, 1000x667px) Image search: [Google]
usa-ammo-forged-winchester.jpg
36KB, 1000x667px
Why don't some gun ranges allow steel case ammo?

I bought some Winchester ammo. I didn't realize it was a steel case initially. Now I'm stuck with 300 rounds.
>>
>>32141487
Because they're too lazy to sort it out of the brass.
>>
>>32141487
because they're cheap faggots who scoop up everyones brass afterwards and sell its for 30 cents a case
>>
>>32141507
>>32141509
well, fuck.
I think there's one range that may allow it. I'm going to try tomorrow. If not, I'm stuck with this.
>>
>>32141487
>Why don't some gun ranges allow steel case ammo?

Becasue they think that steel case = steel bullet

Steel bullets spark, which can cause range fires.
>>
>>32141539

>going to a range managed by retards
>>
>>32141559
There are a couple ranges near me. Some flat out state on their website they don't allow steel case or steel in general. Some don't say anything. So I'll have to try tomorrow.
>>
>>32141570
call and ask them dont drive all the way out there.
buy a green ammo can and put the rounds in it. odds are youll never need it someday you might be glad you have some extra rounds in the house;
>>
>>32141520
Ha did the same thing but I shoot on my land so no biggie.

Anyways shoot away. It's just a sign, not a cop.
>>
>>32141507
Yeah, not like we have magnets or anything. The truth is those fucks just want to make more money on brass.
>>
>>32141539
>Steel bullets spark, which can cause range fires.

This is a dumb lie and I hate it because my gun is make to shoot m855 and nowhere in my state allows it because they're scared of brush fires.
>>
is there any reason to buy american-made steel case? Best I can tell, the only reason to shoot steel is to save money, and no western brand will ever be as cheap as tula/bear
>>
>>32141487
I'm trying to troll you IRL.

Stay outa my range normie.
>>
>>32141559
>>32141539
>>32142566

As a rule of thumb, they're not wrong.
Almost all steel cased ammo made in the former USSR also has a steel jacket, and the surplus ones often have a steel core.
Both are harder on backstops and steel targets or target stands, and both run a higher risk of fires.

That being said, the ammo in OP (as well as most US made steel case) has a normal jacket and lead core, so if the range won't allow you to shoot it even after explaining, they're just greedy fucks who are after your brass.
>>
>>32142570
>is there any reason to buy american-made steel case

Copper jacketed bullets and higher quality, less abrasive propellants translate into marginally longer barrel life at a normal fire rate (and considerably longer barrel life if you like to magdump).
Other than that, they're generally more consistent. The Hornady steel match line of ammo performs identically to their brass cased match ammo while costing the same as regular consumer grade brass cased stuff.
>>
>>32142604
I see. thanks anon. I wasn't considering propellants. tula is dirty as shit.
>>
>>32142578
Bimetal jackets contain a small amount of soft steel. The added damage to backstops would be negligible.
>>
>>32142604
implying 3/4 of the people on this board will ever even put more than 3k rounds through any one of there guns. who cares go have fun
>>
My local indoor range doesn't allow steel cased anything.

The fuddish hunting training facility i sometimes shoot at is ok with steel case, but not with magnetic (steel and/or bimetal) core projectiles.

So basically i'm fucked either. way when it comes to cheap ammo.
>>
>no one mentions how dirty this ammo is
>for real, blacken your hands loading a mag, wtf is on this shit? graphite
>>
The nicest range near my house had a wildfire that pwed a whole bunch of acres not too long back from someone shooting steel core ammo.
If the magnet hits, its a no-go.
fuck ranges anyway
>>
>>32142574
Fuck off Johnson
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.