[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

driving cross country one coast to the other want to take a gun

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 28
Thread images: 3

File: Remington-870-11.jpg (185KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
Remington-870-11.jpg
185KB, 900x600px
driving cross country one coast to the other want to take a gun with me.

but here's the catch. ill be leaving the US from my destination

i don't want to take anything i currently own because there's a good chance i wont see whatever i leave behind again. I wont return to the US for up to 5 years once i leave.

what gun do I buy?
should i just go without? i mean is it worth it to buy a gun for what amounts to less than a week of driving. However i will be staying for about a month in a very rural area where i may need a gun, or at least get chance to shoot for fun.

compact is a plus, i drive a small hatchback that will be full of other crap.
also i prefer cheap

pic related?
>>
>>32140879
op again
i dont think a long gun will be that helpful in a car.
I dont have CCW,
is a handgun my best option?
>>
>>32140879
You want a gun for self defence for a momentary lapse in time?
First you need to figure out what size of weapon you want, I'd get a handgun. It would also be desirable to be able to sell it once you've arrived at your destination. So you'd wan't something easy to sell that would hold its value. I'd recommened buying my great grandfathers Luger from WWII. He was a Nazi Soldier who killed more than a few folks with it from what ive been told. 1.2K
>>
>>32140879
While the nature of the trip is confusing to me, a pump shotgun would be a good choice if you insist on bringing a gun and will maybe be hunting.

In its favor a pump, or at least all common current production, can be taken down by removing the barrel, shortening the gun for transport. A Mossberg or Remington would also be reasonably priced and easily resold. You are also less likely to have issues with local laws with a basic shotgun.

Alternatively, you could just get a handgun, though at the expense of some field utility. People are also more skittish about buying used handguns, at least in my experience.
>>
>>32140950
>>32140879

Glock 17 man
>>
>>32140966
Why would you buy a new handgun
>>
>>32140879
>not just burying it in a cache so it doesn't get stolen

Spend the $40, save your gear son

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lrK3Gi6QNsU

http://www.guns.com/2015/02/21/bury-your-guns/

http://www.survivalist.info/caching/index.html
>>
>>32140961
dumb
>>32140966
let me try and phrase it differently. Im leaving the US for a job, and i have to make a stop on the opposit coast to drop off my GF with her family before i leave the country. I prefer a gun I wont miss because well life can be complicated and less attachments is usually better.

in fact writing it ill sell it before i leave, even at loss if i must.
>>
>>32141063
good job thinking outside of the box.
that's been filed away as a viable option.
>>
its like $100. just throw it away when your leaving
>>
>>32141028
perhaps, i have a glock that im sentimental for. but another for this purpose cant hurt.
>>
>>32141068
wait... are you driving this far away to murder her?
>>
>>32141092
not a bad suggestion, but id prefer no .22's or .410s or other "lesser" calibers.
i want a real gun
>>
Kel tec su 16 because some of them fold up and can even be shot from the folded position. Shoots 5.56 so plentiful ammo. Gas piston so you don't need to do much maintenance. I have one and it's a fun gun to shoot.
>>
>>32141105
Why?
>>
shady man making a shady thread
>>
>>32141166
shall I tell you my race

you have two guesses
>>
>>32140879
Why are you doing this? Leaving everything behind seems like it's a pretty rash decision.

Just wondering, because a lot of time threads like this end up being solved by curing the autistic reason that situation happened in the first place
>>
>>32141199
Mexican
>>
>>32141381
As I said I have a job overseas, Im fresh out of school and have no children and few posessions worth anything. Im leaving very little behind for great pay and experience
>>
>>32141392
wrong
>>
>>32141068
Why not leave it with her?
>>
>>32141464
ill be on a three month probation where she will be behind in the states. then she will join me. she can keep it for that time but in the end we will both be gone for years. we can leave the gun with her grandmother but what if she dies or fall ill or moves what will happen to my gun, id rather not be attached to the gun i bring
>>
>>32141032
Well, I buy from a distributor and CPO is the only used option. I used to take trades and such, but found that no one wanted anything to do with used handguns. I could sell beat to shit department store 22s all day, buy not a used handgun, save the 40S&W police trade-ins. I deal in a "fudd" area, so that impacts my market a bit.

People have already started asking about the Kimber K6s.

>>32141068
Well, I guess I would still recommend the shotgun. Even if you sold it for $100, you would be losing $100. For that matter, you could throw it in a river or send it (long gun, 432 compliant for USPS) to a family member. Both are excellent ways to never to see it again.

Another option would be a low cost handgun, like the Turkish CZ-75 clones, Armscor revolvers and 1911s, or the EAA imported German revolvers. Even a Hi-Point would be an option.

I doubt the practicality of a center-fire rifle on your trip, due to cost and size. A cheap AR stored taken-down or a folder like the Kel-Tec would be an exception, but I would hate to take a loss like that if you had to sell it quickly.
>>
>>32141498
see thats the kind of advice im looking for ill be in a fudd area too. though i hadnt considered mailing it back.
>>
>>32141525
You have to address it to yourself, then with an "in care of" to the actual recipient. You can find the info online.

They will not accept handguns, though realistically, no one is likely to notice if you wrapped it in paper and put it in a flat rate box. That said, doing so is illegal. A felony, if I remember correctly.

As for "fudd" advice, a Mossberg 500 is a better gun than an 870 Express, but the Remington will usually resell better. You could also buy a used shotgun locally and resell that. Also, 12ga is pretty ubiquitous, meaning you can just buy shells as needed and not have to carry too many with you.
>>
>>32141582
I really wis the 870 was shit meme would die. I'd take an 870 over a 500 anyday.
>>
>>32141623
In the past year, I have had seven complaints about current production 870 Express models, out of something like 150 sales. Obviously, the actual number of defective shotguns will be higher once buyers who understand that Remington provides service are factored in. Biggest issues are the MIM extractors breaking and stocks cracking, though I blame the later on user error.

As for Mossbergs, I get an odd complaint about the 500s every so often and a couple about 88s, usually the forend pins falling out.

The issues are good enough that I can mark up excellent condition older Wingmasters, which I get for about $300-400 at auction, for $800.
Thread posts: 28
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.