[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

are submachine guns, assault rifles, and battle rifles the same

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: TE5gN685z4YZ89_1_a.jpg (11KB, 480x200px) Image search: [Google]
TE5gN685z4YZ89_1_a.jpg
11KB, 480x200px
are submachine guns, assault rifles, and battle rifles the same type of gun just different based on the chambering? (pistol, intermediate, full power cartirdges)

so like if they ever chambered a select-fire FAL in 9mm it would be a smg?
>>
>>32136436
they have different internal mechanisms, but the caliber does differ weapon type like you said (battle rifles fire full power cartridges salt rifles fire intermediate and sub guns pistol calibers
>>
>>32136436
they have different mechanisms based on cartridge power

for example you can get away with straight blowback with 9mm submachineguns but you won't be able to pull that off with larger rifle cartridges
>>
>>32136528
that's like saying the deagle isn't a semi-auto pistol because it's gas-operated.
>>
>>32136566
He was asking if they're all the same gun, just in different chamberings.

This isn't true because different chamberings necessitate different types of mechanisms.
>>
>>32136436

sub guns are guns bigger than a pistol but smaller than a rifle and fire pistol cartridges and are select fire (mostly, i think like mac 10s and stuff are safe and full retard)

assault rifles are rifles that are select fire (safe semi, full/burst)) that are chambered for cartridges smaller than full size cartridges but bigger than pistol ammunition. usually the case length is shorter than 50mm and the the bullet is 7.62mm or smaller in diameter. assault rifles are for shooting at targets 400 meters or closer.

battle rifles are rifles that typically are chambered for 7.62mm or larger ammunition (7.62 is the most common though) and the case length is longer than 50mm, 7.62x51mm is the most common nato battle rifle cartridge. theyre also select fire.

an AR with a 9mm upper can be a sub machine gun if ts full auto. if its semi only then its just a pistol caliber carbine; i.e a rifle in a pistol cartridge.
>>
(surprise these labels have no inherent meaning and are based almost completely on convention)
>>
File: 1362273861022.jpg (23KB, 800x422px) Image search: [Google]
1362273861022.jpg
23KB, 800x422px
Is the distinction between a machine gun and sub-machine gun purely about the ammunition they use?
LMGs, MMGs, and HMGs are all basically used to suppress the enemy, Unlike the SMG which is best used in extremely short range gun fights.

Would a belt-fed pistol/PDW caliber machine gun designed to shoot for long periods of time be classified as a SMG or a LMG?
>>
>>32136436
Only the roller delayed blowback series of hk (G3, mp5, etc) did this to my knowledge
>>
>>32137960
it would be an smg because as you've said an LMG would by definition use rifle ammo

inb4 where does the line blur between pistol and rifle cartridge
>>
>>32136436
words mean things, but also don't mean things
>>
>>32136436
>are submachine guns, assault rifles, and battle rifles the same type of gun just different based on the chambering? (pistol, intermediate, full power cartirdges)
The classification is just based on chambering. There are usually some mechanical differences for pistol rounds like others mentioned
>so like if they ever chambered a select-fire FAL in 9mm it would be a smg?
yes
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.