[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How much gunfire can your ears take before you have permanent

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 42
Thread images: 1

File: hunter.jpg (285KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
hunter.jpg
285KB, 900x600px
How much gunfire can your ears take before you have permanent tinnitus?

New to shooting, shot a 12 gauge at my cousin's behest and I've been ringing or a day or two, now.
>>
>>32121606
depends on more factors than shots fired but i'd honestly recommend just using ear pro.

if you hear a slight ringing when its completely quiet and it never goes away then its already starting and can only get worse.
>>
I'm well aware that shooting without ear protection was retarded but I just kinda figured one shot couldn't do much harm, I guess. Been pretty obnoxious.
>>
>>32121606
I've had tinnitus since I was 10.

>sitting in bed trying to go to sleep
>EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEE

You get used to it not being there, but I always avoid loud shit now unless I need to.

>mowing lawn
>put in-ear earphones in so the noise is dulled

About the only thing I do that's ear-threatening to go to concerts, and even then that won't bust your eardrums. Just wear ear-pro unless you're shooting subsonic ammo out of a suppressor.
>>
If you're going to fire without ear protection, then just don't do it indoors.
>>
>>32121621
>>32121647
Fuuuck, I think I might already have it. Just from shooting a M500 ONCE?

This is actually really sucky for me since my on-again-off-again vidya hobby requires really careful listening.

>>32121648
Fired in what was basically an alley, between a tent and a shed.
>>
>>32121653
Wew lad.
You're really pining for a Darwin award
>>
>>32121653
probably not. I think your just getting some temporary ringing and picking up that "thinking about it too much" background noise.

still just ignore the aussies and buy some earpro
>>
>>32121653

You're a fucking imbecile.

Also, I am now aware of the tinnitus in my left ear again thanks to your thread. Fuck you.
>>
>>32121673
>>32121677
Of course I'm a moron about guns, nigga. That's why I'm here. Because /k/ is the only place I trust to be frank.

>>32121675
I hope so, my dad developed permanent Tinnitus from an overly-loud concert when he was younger, so that's where the anxiety about it is coming from.
>>
>>32121682
>Of course I'm a moron about guns, nigga.

Not just guns. Basic common sense.. You wouldn't use a fucking jackhammer or other loud powertools in an alley without earpro, would you?
>>
Once is enough

Though, if your ears aren't sore, and the ringing isn't too bad, it'll probably go away in a few days.

I have permanent tinnitus from 2 shots of .45 ACP (about as loud as a 12 gauge) indoors.

12 gauge outdoors sometimes made my ears ring before that incident, but it went away.

Keep some foam plugs in your wallet. They're good enough for outdoors.
>>
>>32121682
meh everyone has it to some degree.

friend of mine is pretty much deaf in one ear and sleep disturbing tinnitus in the other. Only problem with it from his claims is the sleeping thing. If its not bothering your there i'd just play it off as a lesson learned
>>
>>32121653
This >>32121675, I shot an half a magazine of 9mm in my basement when I got freaked out by coat I left hanging on some junk and forgot about (there were a series of violent breakins a couple weeks prior so I was paranoid). Ringing for a couple days but nothing after that

Good news is I got solid gut and torso shots so if my coat meant me harm I would have killed it good.
>>
>>32121693
Alright, here's what happened.

I'd just shot a .22 rifle which was an utterly pleasant experience in a field and I thought "Oh, what's the harm with one shot?" When my cousin offered the 12 gauge. There were hunters on the land elsewhere, so I allowed him to point me where to shoot to avoid potentially harming anyone, and he pointed me right between the shed and the tent. When I asked him why HE wasn't wearing any earpro, he said "Because I only need one shot"

I'm not going to excuse myself for not being like "dude no" but it was his gun, his property and I've always been kind of beta like that.
>>
>>32121606
You ever notice in old cartoons and movies, all the old people were deaf?
Some of that is age but mostly I think it's because there were so many vets. All those world war dudes went deaf early.

I don't shoot without earpro and I prefer cups rather than plugs. You can even double up. My hearing is good enough I hear what people whisper from across the room and catch em off guard all the time.
>>
>>32121883
Oh and that's with some tinnitus but I never notice the eeeeeeeeeeee until someone brings it up.
Does not everyone have some tinnitus?
>>
>>32121883

The shit thing about deafness from shooting is that it also comes with ringing.

The old fags that lost their hearing from engines and shit are lucky in comparison.
>>
>>32121707
What the fuck? You unloaded onto what looked like a person without any attempt of identification? I get that it's your house and the break-ins, but holy fuck dude. Dumping into a random person is not gonna look good to the jury.
>>
>>32121707
uuuuhhh what
>>
>>32121908
I live alone, if it was my landlord he would have called or at least knocked to see if I was there and I don't think anyone with good intent is going to be in my basement at 2 in the morning.

I did kind of make a WHREYOUDONMOV noise while drawing but becasue of the above I don't think it would have helped much.

>>32121943
Hazards of living near poo in loos, they have a retarded tradition of putting their bling and shit out in their living rooms for a month long holiday so niggers would bust in guns drawn and take it.
>>
Here's something I don't understand regarding tinnitus.

Apparently gunfire (obv depending on caliber and distance from the hearer) can be strong enough to cause ear ringing just from one shot, and can last for weeks and develop permanently. But then you consider the military members who often go without earpro and are near gunfire (or even artillery or big caliber stuff like tanks or naval guns) and yet they're not all completely deaf like one would expect them to be, even after having served for years. So what gives? Is the human ear actually very damn resistant to tinnitus, and all this civilian "put on your earplugs/earpro" mostly fearmongering for sales?

It just doesn't add up, the almost autistic detail civilians go for ear protection and the constant exposure of the military
>>
>>32121707

you magdumped into a coat?

holy fuck please kill yourself
>>
>>32121964
A lot of the service dudes I know have mid to bad tinnitus and the military is actually looking into making suppressors standard issue, so
>>
>>32121964

I don't know a single dude in the military that doesn't use hearing protection even underneath the helmet. You are retarded
>>
>>32121964
been in for 13 years and the majority of combat arms guys i know/knew who saw action in a combat zone are pretty deaf.

most senior artillery dudes in the creamed corn have hearing aids now
>>
>>32121972
>making suppressors standard issue
Source? That sounds like a good idea but it would require work on the gas system and recoil springs and I don't think VA covers tinnitus so they might not even bother.
>>
>>32121964

Tinnitus doesn't equal deafness and deafness doesn't equal tinnitus

You can develop bad tinnitus after one exposure, but you won't develop bad deafness from one exposure (other than a load of HE going off next to you, but your ears will be the least of your worries there)

I have tested normal hearing but shit tinnitus from 2 x .45 ACP indoors with no ears
>>
>>32121653
You fucking moron.
>>
>>32121985
>http://www.military.com/daily-news/2016/11/22/corps-put-silencers-whole-infantry-battalion.html
>http://www.businessinsider.com/us-marine-corps-experimenting-with-silencing-every-single-gun-in-an-infantry-battalion-2016-11

Being able to hear what's going on in a firefight is a pretty big advantage.
>>
>>32121994
Neat, kind of weird how it seems they are paying civilian prices for suppressors but that's procurement for you.

Even if it gets heavily fouled they just lose effectiveness, right? Would be one more thing to clean and be yelled at for but other than cost, slight gain in length, (that might be able to be mitigated with integral designs but again, money) and maintenance it's a good idea.

Might not get adopted for anything but some units for those reasons though.
>>
>>32121606
Had ringing in my ears since I was a child. Had such bad ear infections they wanted to put tubes in my ears. All I can do now is preserve what I got.
>>
>>32121606
>12 gauge

probably as dumb as you could have been. even rock stars playing huge amplifiers at max volume aren't exposed to the decibel level from a 12 gauge shotgun.
>>
From my experience:

Any pistol over .22LR outside = ringing

.22LR, .22 Magnum, .22 Hornet, .357 (.38), .44 Mag, and .410, all from long barrels, won't make your ears ring outside. Everything more powerful will; .223+ and 20 gauge+

Inside is various levels of shit no matter what.
>>
>>32122096

I havent shot any firearms without earpro but wouldnt you think a shotgun wouldnt be as bad because its much lower pressure than handgun/rifle rounds? or does the the large bore mean more noise and negate that?
>>
>>32121647
They have treatments that can get rid of it now. Hard to find info about it on google though best to just go talk to an eye, ear and throat doctor about getting it treated.

Planning on getting mine treated soon. This shit is annoying.

>>32121647
>Just wear ear-pro unless you're shooting subsonic ammo out of a suppressor.
Most are still loud enough to cause hearing damage even with subsonic ammo. Only one I know if that is quite enough to get down to hearing safe levels in 300 blackout and even then that was only one brand of subsonic ammo that did that most of the other brands for it were still loud enough to causing hearing damage.

That's also not counting the noise of the action which on many semi-autos is loud enough to cause hearing damage on it's own.

Manufactures of subsonic ammo will post it's DB on the box. Do the math with how much your suppressor reduces noises and how much DB your subsonic ammo makes instead of just assuming. Also, remember that the DB posted on the box is only with a certain barrel length and shorter barrels will be louder, With most cartridges it's usually tested with a 20" barrel but some test with a 16" barrel.

Also, the noise of your bullet hitting a steel target can be loud enough to cause hearing damage if you are close to it.

Basically just always wear ear pro.
>>
>>32121718
.22lr is 150db which is loud enough for a single shot to cause hearing damage you dumb shit.
>>
>>32121964
Can't say I know too much about it but I've seen pictures of soldiers wearing ear pro over in Iraq.
>>
>>32122096
A lot of musicians wear ear protection on stage.
>>
>>32122190

From a pistol it's 150

.22LR from a rifle is 130, which isn't too bad as long as it's outside
>>
>>32122205
>.22LR from a rifle is 130, which isn't too bad as long as it's outside
130db is more than loud enough to cause hearing damage. Even outside. On a side note CCI's quite .22lr is supposedly only 68db. I have some but I haven't fired it yet. I'm curious as to how far it will be able to reach out too with how low it's velocity is. I've guessing it will be a real short range round.
>>
>>32121606
Why do retards think hearing protection is such an inconvenience? Are you just trying to be "cool" like bike riders w/o helmets?
Thread posts: 42
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.