[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Hi guys, I don't own any guns but I'd like one for

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 2

File: ruger 10_22.jpg (192KB, 1600x1200px) Image search: [Google]
ruger 10_22.jpg
192KB, 1600x1200px
Hi guys, I don't own any guns but I'd like one for target shooting. Any reason I shouldn't get a Ruger 10/22? They're on sale at Dick's Sporting Goods and Dunham's sporting goods today and tomorrow for about $200.
>>
>>32104930
Just get one.
When you buy it you will be overwhelmed by the strong urge to improve the gun and replace components. Ignore this feeling and just go out and shoot the damn gun. Worry about modifications a year later or a thousand rounds later.
>>
>>32104959
Is there anything I absolutely should get? I'm planning on getting a cheap gun bag for taking from the car into the range, I'm not sure what else I'd need besides eye protection (I already have some) and ear protection (also already have some).
>>
>>32104979
a cleaning kit, a couple extra mags would be nice too.
>>
>>32104930

id get one with one a heavy barrel if youre gonna be target (read: bench rest) shooting, or a marlin xt-22.
>>
No. While there are other excellent .22s rifles on the market, Ruger 10/22s are generally what everything else is compared against. The quality and value are excellent and they are by far the most customizable .22 rifles. Its very rare for anyone to regret getting a 10/22 and when a person opts for a different rifle, it going to be due to personal taste or for vary specific features (Marlin 60s have the micro-groove rifling for example).

You're definitely doing the right thing by starting with a .22 rifle though. The gun and ammo are far less expensive than higher powered centerfires, while encourage you to get your ass out to the range regularly and practice. Depending on the specific cartridge, .22 LR is good past 100 yards and is THE cartidge for small game (even more powerful rimfires can do excessive damage to the meat/coat).
>>
>>32105027

>Ruger 10/22 quality and value

plywood stock dyed to appear not shitty
cast aluminuim reciever
plastic EVERYWHERE
poor attention to detail in design and finishing

ruger 10/22 a shit. i regretted buying that POS every day until i sold it, even if it was 200 dollars. They are also inaccurate unless you spend hundreds of dollars of shit (waste of money) on it.
You're way better off going to a local gun store and finding a nice older .22
>>
>>32104979
Lots of ammo. More than you can carry, if possible. You always think you have enough .22 and then you look down and realize your box is empty while loading mags.
>>
>>32105011
>a cleaning kit, a couple extra mags would be nice too.

I'll make sure to get a cleaning kit. For extra magazines should I just stick with the 10 round default magazines (I get an extra one free if I buy at Dick's today) or should I get some 30 round ones?
>>
>>32105121
Also, for magazines are there any brands that are good/brands to avoid?
>>
>>32105121
only buy oem ruger mags
>>
>>32104930
savage 64
>>
>>32105168
Ruger brand ruger mags only. I own some other various 10/22 mags and theyre shit.

Rotary 10rd master race.
Just carry a bunch of em if you need more capacity when youre shittin around, they always work.

The bx25 mags are way better than aftermarket, but ive had a couple mag-related malfs with them before
>>
>>32104930
Get Tech Sights if you do get one and have a gunsmith install them. The factory sights are garbage
>>
>>32104930
If you can find a Ruger American Rimfire that might be a better first gun. Being a bolt action, it'll force you to think more about each shot, plus working a bolt is fun.

I was just out shooting my only .22lr rifle today (a CZ 452 ultra lux) and it's honestly my favorite rifle to shoot. I'm thinking of picking up a RAR so I have something I'm a little less afraid of damaging.

They probably cost more than a 10/22 though, so if moneys tight just get the 10/22.
>>
>>32104930

get one, it's an excellent beginner's rifle
>>
>>32105372
My dad has an old Winchester .22 from when he was a kid (I want to say it's this gun: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Winchester_Model_121 ) so I have some experience with bolt action rifles and know a little bit about shooting. I like it a lot, but I think I'd like to have a semi-automatic rifle.
>>
>>32104930
if you want a scope the SWFA x10 and such are on sale right now for 250$, and they will last you a very , very long time if you decide to get into the center fire game.
>>
>>32104930
if you cant get one there they are always right around 200 at walmart on a regular day
>>
>>32105279
This, bought some cheap plastic mags from, Cheaper than dirt and they fucking suck. Constant malfunctions and feeding problems.
>>
OP here, I don't know much about ammo. Any brands I should buy or avoid?
>>
>>32108724
Ah, most .22's shoot better with one brand and load or another. Try a bunch and see what it likes.
>>
>>32108724
ignore remington golden bullshit unless its the only ammo on the shelf and you need bullets today. dont buy specialty ammo like subsonics and expect a stock gun to cycle them smoothly. after you mod it worry but dont rush to get them.
>>
>>32105067
Sounds like you got a shitty knockoff or something. Both of my 10\22s shoot just fine.
>>
>>32110414
What's wrong with goldens?
>>
>>32104930

It's a very good choice.

Get some spare mags and a good cleaning kit for .22 caliber rifles.

Also, read the fucking manual.
>>
>>32104979
22 ammo is easy to shoot quickly with accuracy. 25 round mags where a must have.

On a side note, yes the love you will feel for this gun is normal.
>>
>>32108724
Federal kicks ass. Dicks has 2 boxes for $35 today I bought 6 boxes
>>
>>32111382
Failure to ejects. Chambering the bullet can knock the bullet half way out of the case.
>>
>>32104930
Now this thread seems to have potential. My take on it OP is the Ruger 10/22 is an awesome starter. The gun is pretty much good to go, be sure to get a cleaning kit, extra mags are nice to have, and a case of some sort.

I prefer soft cases they carry more comfortably in my opinion. Magazines I'd say stick to ruger factory brand and primarily 10 rounders, but a 30 can be there just to say you have one. I dont find the 30 to be that entertaining in itself but is nice if you plan on shooting a lot of targets in one sitting.

Cleaning kit wise I prefer one with a rod on anything less than a .30 cal bore. As sometimes the weights on "pull through" cleaning kits that small aren't enough to make it through the barrel easily enough.

I will throw this out there, think about what you have in mind as your next gun which will typically be some type of defense related platform whether it be another larger caliber rifle or even a handgun. Do you want the same action for this and that or do you want a variety?
>>
>>32111382
in my experence they have the highest number of duds in bulk ammo. something like 1 every 100 rounds compared to 0-1every 325 for other brands.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.