[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm building a light 70s ALICE gear load out. My only gripe

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 9

File: 551728.jpg (86KB, 880x660px) Image search: [Google]
551728.jpg
86KB, 880x660px
I'm building a light 70s ALICE gear load out. My only gripe is I don't like the whole 2 canteen deal. Was the 2 quart canteen issued late in the Vietnam war?
>>
>>32094990
I went into the Army in 1980. I left in 1988. I was never issued anything other than the standard 1-quart, plastic canteen, not even for Grenada. I saw a few of those 2-quart canteens, but never cared enough to inquire about them. If we needed more water, we carried 2 canteens.
>>
>>32094990
There were two types. The first type was a plastic sheeting, clear plastic bladder canteen type.

The second type is the pic you posted anon.
>>
>>32094990
>2 quart canteen, best canteen. most premium, high fives.

just git one, and quit cryin'
>>
>>32096533
You were in Grenada? Stories? Pics?
>>
File: derdff.jpg (484KB, 1704x1766px) Image search: [Google]
derdff.jpg
484KB, 1704x1766px
>>32094990
they had 2 quart canteens. but they didn't wear them on their belts and they were really uncommon. i have read about units that had them and mounted them upside down at the top of their rucksack with a tube so they could drink from it like you would with a modern camelbak.

i looked it up and they field tested them with 4th infantry division in 1967 and they went into full production in 69.

they are just too big to wear on your belt comfortably because they flop around alot. I have a couple of them secured to my alice pack and on their i had to tie them down with paracord to keep them from moving.
>>
i still use the bladder when winter backpacking.
fill with hot water, instant hot water bottle that weighs next to nothing when empty.
>>
>>32097091
>because they flop around alot
i call bullshit because you squeeze the excess air out...derp.
>>
>>32097145
no retard. the bottle inside the fucking pouch flops around because of its size compared to the alice clips. it has a lot of up and down motion. You really think i "tied them down with paracord" to keep water from sloshing?
>>
>>32096533
I went in in 2007. I got issued two of those things in addition to the 1qt.

Your millage may vary.
>>
>>32097145
have you even used one? That flops around like a mofo during movement with just the clips.
>>
>>32097091
does your mommy know you play army?
>>
>>32097173
>have you even used one?
yes, loads of times
>>32097117
but not for dress up though.
>>
File: 1 (2).jpg (3MB, 2986x3727px) Image search: [Google]
1 (2).jpg
3MB, 2986x3727px
>>32097187
hur dur let me bash the guy who has in interest in military gear on the fucking weapons/military board.
none of this shit is even current issue.
>>
>>32097169
did they give you newer ones? they usually have their manufacture date printed on them. did yours have a NBC cap?
>>
>>32097246
backpacking isn't dress up.
>>
>>32094990
ALICE wasn't really issued in Vietnam. Hell, even the embassy guards in '74 barely got LINCLOE.
>>
Best way to gently clean MOLLE pack kidney pad? It's in VGC, but it's got a noticeable stain on the bottom edge.

Also I have to say, this shithead sold me the product as new. Fucking hell. After I went to the trouble of getting the rest of the pack new condition, he sends me this? It was still a good price, even for the condition that it is in, but it's slightly rustling that it won't be matching. I considered returning it but I got it as a package, and so I decided it was good enough.

>filbe frame
>woodland medium alice pack
>woodland molle straps
The ALICE still needs fastex buckles sewn in, but otherwise it's a great little combat pack.
>>
>>32097498
im sure he means M1956. most people just call if alice regardless of the anachronism
>>
>>32097261
I didn't check for dates. It was new but was the olive drab poly cover one. It had the nbc caps though. I figure that was the only reason they gave them to us being a (cav) scout squadron.
>>
>>32097633
what i find really odd is the lack of use of canteens in the modern us military. you see them all the time in training but in images from overseas i don't think i have seen anyone carrying one or drinking from one since the invasion of iraq. Its always bladders, nalgenes, and those the bottled haji water.
>>
>>32094990
Is your only reason for not using a camelbak because it's not from the same period? There really shouldn't be a problem unless you don't adjust the canteen pouches properly. Also, little known fact: if you soak the canteen cover then it will cool your canteen as it dries. That was the intended purpose of the particular lining they used for the pouch.
>>
>>32097701
there are 5 quart bladders that were in vietnam. you could theoretically attach one to your webbing like a camelbak.
>>
>>32097091
>AR-15 with RAILSRAILSRAILS with M81/Alice gear
Sell your shitter rifle for an M16gery or a Colt Commando clone.
>>
>>32097771
how about no. i can just build another rifle.
>>
File: IMG_4612.jpg (2MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4612.jpg
2MB, 3264x2448px
I got one of those canteen at a garage sale, 1 of 2 things I own that could be considered mil surplus. What's the little pouch on the side for?
>>
>>32097902
Same as the 1 quarts, bottle of water purification tabs
>>
File: IMG_7384.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7384.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>32097091
>let me tell you
>about 2 quarts
>>
File: IMG_7383.jpg (1MB, 2448x3264px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7383.jpg
1MB, 2448x3264px
>>32098021
>>
>>32097269
>backpacking is serious buisness not dress up
Your right, you never know when you'll be hiking in yellow stone and a fucking gook will jump you.
Retard
>>
>>32098021
>>32098036
kek. idk how you do it man. all that shit looks floppy as hell.
>>
>>32098048
what does carrying a cheap widely available water bottle have to do with combat? are you saying him putting a surplus water bottle in his backpack is the same thing as someone dressing up like a navyseal?
>>
>>32094990
>Was the 2 quart canteen issued late in the Vietnam war?

2-qt canteens a beast. I have two. One leaks, but I use the piss out of the other. Best $10 ever spent.
>>
>>32098082
does it leek from the nozzel because you don't have a proper seal or is the body punctured?
>>
File: IMG_7415.jpg (3MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_7415.jpg
3MB, 3264x2448px
>>32098048
Walking through the Appalachian countryside, you may encounter less then gracious herbal hosts who do not like their illicit gardens trespassed.

>>32098049
Shit works better innawoods, but I didn't tie down the bayonet scabbard. The Two quart is left full and I swill from hte 1 quart, then refill it and its less shitty. I can also pack a serb ruck with MRES and more shit as or alternatively a camalback.

It can suck but these hollers don't have a breeze.
>>
File: IMG_6738.jpg (1MB, 1543x1158px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_6738.jpg
1MB, 1543x1158px
>>32098118
>>
>>32098118
>>32098187
so you usually go with no pack? neat
i don't wear my alice rig for hiking and backpacking. i wear my medium alice pack and a chicom rig.
>>
File: image1(2).jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image1(2).jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>32098263
I rarely go on longer than a day without a pack. Most of these pictures are property patrols. Find the fence and follow it a ways, look for crossings, trash, torn wire, shit that aint supposed to be there, that kind of stuff.

I would recommend a high chicom rig and an Alice pack. Put canteens on the packs hip belt. It wont be graceful but will be comfy and you can stow a simple ALICE belt and kit in the back as well, so you can set a camp and operate around it.

The key to go w/o pack is a lean too and a couple of them old surplus poncho blankets and a hammock. Get a fire going all night and you will be doing fine. Night falls deceptively fast here on account of the mountains, so its best to get started on such early.

Pick related is an old version from before this spring. I had just transitioned from an AK to an AR. Kit was basic and very redundant while inadequate in other spots. Notice a lack of sleeping kit.
>>
the non-faggy version of a practical light hike kit:

satchel on the back, saddlebags on the sides. More than sufficient
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 9

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.