[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is air dropping tanks still worth it? https://www.youtube.c

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 31
Thread images: 7

File: 0_a20ec_f1b18053_X4L.jpg (694KB, 1600x879px) Image search: [Google]
0_a20ec_f1b18053_X4L.jpg
694KB, 1600x879px
Is air dropping tanks still worth it?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KHq-a5DXd3M
>>
>>32088594
the a team clip
>>
The U.S. has so many bases around the world, no.
>>
Air dropping tanks never been worth it. In fact it's debatable that paratroopers have
>>
File: Tank_Drop_(Generals).jpg (36KB, 203x192px) Image search: [Google]
Tank_Drop_(Generals).jpg
36KB, 203x192px
>>32088594
China-tier tactics
>>
At most, light utility vehicles makes sense, but with powerful man portable weapons like ATGMs , and precision strike aircraft, you can't justify the cost for the firepower.

Realistically, paratroopers have limited usefulness dropped by parachute. Helicopters and now tiltrotors have more or less replaced them in nearly every role. As far as I can tell, the USA only keeps them on a division scale due to their strategic mobility in response to an imminent threat.
>>
May not be practical but it sure as hell looks cool.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0TN68sp-vIw
>>
>>32088594
I know that air dropping SUVs with radar masts and SUVs with MANPADs are not that bad but what about air dropping self propelled mortars?
>>
Tanks aren't like paratroopers. Tanks need a supply line behind them. You shouldn't just "drop them in". They require tons of fuel and ammo will run out quick. It's a massive behemoth that won't survive behind enemy lines.

When armored brigades move, there are huge supply lines supporting the move. Look at the invasion of Iraq...the invasion had to slow down for the logistics to catch up.
>>
>>32090791
It's possible to make lighter vehicles with larger fuel tanks that would be good for several days of movement/combat on their own
Abrams has a fucking turbine for unknown reasons.
>>
>>32090855
>It's possible to make lighter vehicles with larger fuel tanks that would be good for several days of movement/combat on their own
Yeah, IFV's. Not tanks

>Abrams has a fucking turbine for unknown reasons.
Because it's a tank. Shit ton of armor and can move at impressive speeds.
>>
Does it have to be parachutes?

E.g. could you have a cargo aircraft skim low and slow over an airfield or other suitably flat and large area, cargo ramp open with the lowest part no more than 0.5m above the ground, and just drive straight out?

Then the plane could just circle overhead while the deployed vehicles secured a landing zone for the rest of the logistics and stuff.
>>
>>32088594
>Is air dropping tanks still worth it?

Is airdropping these nuts worth it?
>>
>>32091056
>sudden cargo weight shifts at extremely low altitude

this kills the aircraft
>>
>>32091115
They did it with ICBM.
>>
>>32091158
citation please?
>>
>>32091056

Honestly, the most likely mission for paratroopers in a hostile environment is securing an airstrip. In which case you would simply land a C-130 with light armour on that.

Something like Operation Entebbe, but with plans to stay longer.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Operation_Entebbe
>>
>>32088613
>clip
>>
>>32091170
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Air-launched_ballistic_missile

Scroll down to the C-5 ICBM part. I know someone that was on that plane. Pitched the plane good but they managed.
>>
>>32091194
Fair enough.

Still, doing things at 20,000 ft and doing things at 0.5m above ground level (about 1.6 ft) are pretty different.
>>
File: Verdict Day.webm (3MB, 600x336px) Image search: [Google]
Verdict Day.webm
3MB, 600x336px
I could see it being hella useful if you could move light tanks with transport helicopters, but by the point you can airlift an Abrams with any kind of speed around you could just make a fuckhugely armored helicopter that shits out explosives.
>>
>>32089556
>The U.S. has so many bases around the world, no.
So that means that airdropping things is pointless for every other nation too?
>>
File: Verdict Day..webm (3MB, 600x336px) Image search: [Google]
Verdict Day..webm
3MB, 600x336px
>>32091279
Seems to me like it'd be possible to build a tank that can survive a high-altitude drop without parachutes, but having the crew survive is another thing.

Maybe have the crew HALO jump at the same time and get in, you'd have to drop a bit further out from combat but modern tanks can haul ass so it's not like infantry who would have to walk clear to where they're going.
>>
>drop behind the front lines
>seize the bridge, airstrip, fuel depot
>curbstomp HATO rearguard
>rape their smoldering corpses before enemy had realized what has transpired and how to respond

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mQ1yQrKYteY
>>
File: simon+cowel[1].jpg (22KB, 600x332px) Image search: [Google]
simon+cowel[1].jpg
22KB, 600x332px
>>32091056
>just fly an aircraft down onto a hostile airstrip
>has to be actively hostile or else we'd just land, and that would fuck up the whole plan apparently
>skim above the strip at .5m
>tank just flops out the back and slams into the tarmac going 150mph with the tracks spinning in the opposite direction
>hostile base magdumps and misses because they aren't American

I think he's serious, chief.
>>
File: Sheridan.jpg (87KB, 800x448px) Image search: [Google]
Sheridan.jpg
87KB, 800x448px
>>32091056
>>32091115
>>32091177
>>32092070

This is what the US used to do.
>>
>>32088594

Air dropping tanks is stupid.

Light armor and small vehicles are okay, but there are better ways to do it.

Pic related.
>>
>>32092410
>Gliderfag found his way into this thread to

Just fuck off. Litterally nobody likes you.
>>
>>32088613
You trying to tell me you can't steer a tank mid air by firing it and survive because you land in water?

Get a load of this guy.
>>
>>32088594
>Is air dropping tanks still worth it?
They can do everything that AMX-10RC did in Mali, but with twice more fire-power.
>>
>>32088594
As with almost any military equipment:
Depends on your doctrine.
Thread posts: 31
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.