[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

>relatives' friends going hunting at their private land

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 30
Thread images: 4

File: ar hunt.jpg (150KB, 640x480px) Image search: [Google]
ar hunt.jpg
150KB, 640x480px
>relatives' friends going hunting at their private land
>asked if I want to come
>only have mossberg 500 and bare bones colt AR with MBUS
What game can you hunt with .223/5.56? I know practically nothing about hunting and horror stories on /k/ about brown bears tanking shots makes me pretty nervous.

Also my Mossberg 500 can sometimes freeze after a shot so I don't trust it as much.
>>
>>32083488
Anything under a whitetail.
>>
>>32083488
Up to deer. Not ideal for deer, but very much capable of taking one.
>>
>>32083488
You'll be good for deer with that ar. Shot placement is king in hunting anyway, and anyone that says that you need a .30-'06 for whitetail is spouting fuddlore.
>>
What did your friend plan on hunting? Deer, elk, skinwalkers, etc?
A heavy .223 load can take a white tail for sure provided it's pretty close and you're 100% confident in your shot placement
That said, I wouldn't recommend you take an unscoped AR to your first hunt. Can your bud spot you a loaner rifle?
>>
>>32084123
>>32083488
Shot Placement
>deermindblown.jpg
>>
>>32084123
deer, elk, maybe some goat or black bear
I am not sure about the details because it was just small talk, they said I shoot from a tree if I am scared, and .223 will most likely wound the game instead of killing it.

Googling hunting AR just gives me a bunch of builds in other calibers.
>>
Also about the mossberg, when I took it to the range for the first time it would sometimes lock up after a shot, trigger pulled, gun decocked, can't rack the slide back, need to wiggle it a lot before it somehow fixes itself. When I took it apart for cleaning there were scratches at the roof of the receiver.

It's odd because these thing were supposed to be reliable beater guns and they cycle just fine with snap caps and unfired live rounds, didn't use wrong ammunition or anything.
>>
Hunting female deer with slugs is legal here. It might be the same way there. If that's the case I'd recommend the Mossberg.
>>
>>32084366
With slugs that is.
>>
>>32083488
I shoot white tail with 5.56. fuck a fudd in the ass. It works. My freezer is full of venison.
>>
>>32083488
You can hunt deer with .223 and 5.56 where I am but its not recommended. Anything smaller than a deer and you;re good to go. A deer sized animal is up to your own discretion but I would.
>>
>>32084248

.223 is perfectly fine for deer and lower. no need to bring up shot placement because what shitty hunter goes hunting and doesn't aim at the proper spot?

http://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=10&f=23&t=626832

read through this.

a good shot with .223 will drop any deer in it's tracks.
>>
>>32084404
Yeah if you can place the round well and you have complete confidence you can make the shot, dont let a good buck go because you only have a .223. I've never had a deer not drop with a .223 but it wasnt luck anyways. if you fuck your shot up be prepared to send another one at it and fuck up more meat or wait for it to drop and put another in it.

and brown bear and black bear stories are mostly bullshit. I had a buddy plug the fuck out of a decent sized black bear with a .22 out of a car window and it went down in a few seconds.

Bear was fucking with his dogs, when he got home from work, not bullshit fuckery killing random animals.
>>
>>32084348
It sounds like something is out of alignment and not a receiver problem
>>
>>32084248
First you have to figure out where you're hunting. A .223 actually isn't legal to hunt deer with in a number of states. Some states/counties are shotgun only. Some are minimum .24 caliber.

Even if it is legal, I personally wouldn't use it. After all, just because you can, doesn't mean you should. Sure, it will absolutely kill a deer with perfect shot placement, but I think its asking for trouble and is borderline irresponsible especially considering that you can get a brand new rifle and a scope for less than $500 now.

Just get a proper hunting rifle (or shotgun depending) or borrow one as >>32084123 said.
>>
>>32084438

every encounter i've had with brown/black bears is:

they see me

they run away as fast as they can

i've come across a bear at least 6 times while hunting. one time i was camping and my buddy left a half full can of smoked salmon open all night. about 3AM a bear was circling the tent and growling for about 5 minutes before anyone woke up. I jumped up and yelled and I could hear it take off running.

They're all pretty much pussies. Never came across a mother with a cub, though. At least not on foot.
>>
>>32084522

blah blah blah. this might've been true 20 years ago.

there's so many damn load possibilities now; there is zero issue easily taking a deer. there are loads/bullets specifically designed to kill deer and they do a better job than the vaunted 30-30 or a .308. you're not going to find something 'better' until you get to a 300win mag or higher. yes, .223 deer specific rounds are that fucking good.
>>
>>32084248
>elk
>.223
Bad idea
>>
>>32084348
It could be the brass expanding in the chamber making it hard to rack. Try racking immediately after firing.
>>
>>32084527
I live northern SK in a cottage probably 5 km from a fairly active camp site, black bears here are very used to humans and are attracted to them, easy food laying around basically. I've illegally dropped more bears than id like to admit, none of them leave when shouted at here, because they believe nothing is going to happen to them, i've snuck up on a bear and startled it and had it run away because it knew something was up since i was prowling. Shouting here is just a noise humans make, to them.

had a mother and bear show up to the dump near us once, was false charging us from probably 100-130 yards away like a fuckin retard and standing on its hind legs.

If i See a bear on my property, i just kill it. Stay away from me, my wife, my dogs, fuckin anything. Takes one of those asshole 10 seconds to do a couple hundred bucks of damage to basically anything so ill waste the bullet and drag its ass to the dump.
>>
File: hyperbole3.png (28KB, 263x331px) Image search: [Google]
hyperbole3.png
28KB, 263x331px
>>32084573
>>
>>32083488
In some states 223 is legal for deer, but it is pushing it.

If you want to use an ar setup why not try 300 blackout, .458 SOCOM, or .50 Beowulf.

Bonus points if you live in a fun state that lets you put a suppressor on it for protecting your hearing.
>>
>>32083488
>mossberg 500 sometimes freeze after a shot
Elaborate.
If you mean a shell gets stuck in the chamber, what brand of ammo are you using? I found remington green box to stick like crazy. Which forver cemented for me just how shit remington as become on nearly all fronts.
>>
>>32085165

>>32084348
slide stuck forward, can't rack it back to eject shell. Problem fixes itself after a few tries and some wiggling.
>>
>>32085737
is the inside of the chamber rusted?
>>
File: ins.jpg (102KB, 902x370px) Image search: [Google]
ins.jpg
102KB, 902x370px
>>32085760
I don't think so?
Hereis a picture of the receiver marks
>>
I had a mossy that would do this.
Hot shells mostly, it's just pushed out into the chamber and you have to rack harder than for wally world bulk pack
>>
>>32084573
>blah blah blah. this might've been true 20 years ago.
It's true today in Washington and Ohio, among other places.
>>
File: DetainButton.png (832B, 71x90px) Image search: [Google]
DetainButton.png
832B, 71x90px
>>32084625

Why not eat it, wtf, why let all that meat go to waste? I used to pop squirrels for fun when I was a kid because they were pests but goddamn, they're not a bear.
Thread posts: 30
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.