[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I always see Rhodesia threads on here, lets have a South African

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 22
Thread images: 8

File: casspir.jpg (10KB, 257x196px) Image search: [Google]
casspir.jpg
10KB, 257x196px
I always see Rhodesia threads on here, lets have a South African Border War thread

>tfw you never ride through the African bush in a Casspir BTFOing cubans and commie negros
>>
>>32073677
>TFW you'll never get to laugh as a world-wide embargo strangles the statist fucks to death
>>
File: rhodie flag.gif (14KB, 432x216px) Image search: [Google]
rhodie flag.gif
14KB, 432x216px
>>32073677
There is a reason for this. The South Africans were legit racist. The Rhodies were just realistic about the future of their society and planned a white and black European style power in Africa with eventual equality for all educated peoples.

South Africans were not good, their only good feature was not being communist
>>
File: SouthAfricaBorder_war.jpg (39KB, 541x368px) Image search: [Google]
SouthAfricaBorder_war.jpg
39KB, 541x368px
>>32073974
>crying about racism
post some SADF pictures faggot
>>
>>32073698
Plunging one of the last hopes of Africa getting it's shit together into the abyss.

>>32073974
No apartheid in a foxhole. The SADF integrated some units and Recce's worked with UNITA.
>>
File: IMG_0474.jpg (75KB, 973x480px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0474.jpg
75KB, 973x480px
Remove Palme
>>
Poastin a short reading list.

South Africa Links:

http://afraf.oxfordjournals.org/content/77/308/347.extract

http://scientiamilitaria.journals.ac.za/pub/article/view/103

http://scientiamilitaria.journals.ac.za/pub/article/view/15

http://www.scielo.org.za/scielo.php?script=sci_arttext&pid=S0018-229X2014000200014
>>
Durand, Arn. Zulu Zulu Golf followed by Zulu Zulu Foxtrot.

Durand talks about his years with the Koevoet police force in Namibia fighting SWAPO insurgents. It is an intense account, and shows how badly the lines were blurred when it came to dealing with civilians and insurgents. Even the Ovambo tribesmen that joined the unit shared the unadulterated hatred towards the insurgents, some of whom were from the same village. It is a bit edgy, but Durand shows some of the stark contrasts between the SAP and SADF. It is important to understand the contrasts, it contributes to a greater understanding of how the conflict evolved from a police action to a more conventional operation with a hint of COIN.
>>
Greeff, Jack. A Greater Share of Honour.

Greeff fought with the Portuguese in Angola as a South African attachment and went on to become a Recce during the Border War. For context, think of the Recces as SF. They would go out on long patrols or fight with UNITA. The book is a first hand account of what he did and how the Recces evolved from Operation Savannah onwards. Interestingly enough, they did some operations with the Rhodesian SAS to try and learn how the Rhodesians managed to pull Operation Dingo off so well. Greeff also talks about fighting against the Cubans in Angola alongside UNITA guerrillas in support of Operation Reindeer. An interesting planning factor he highlights is wildlife, there is a good account of a Recce fighting off a crocodile while trying to place explosives of a bridge.
>>
Mannall, David. Battle on the Lomba 1987: The Day a South African Armored Battalion Shattered Angola’s Last Mechanized Offensive - A Crew Commander’s Account

This is another first hand account that made its way over to the states about a year ago. Mannall talks about the drafting process, training, and experiencing the thrill of combat. The Battle on the Lomba was apart of Operation Moduler and the larger fight for Cuito Cuanavale. The 61st Mechanized Battalion, consisting of Ratels armed with 90mm cannons, managed to defeat the 47th brigade supplied with Soviet tanks. This focuses on the conventional aspects of the war that emerged in the mid to late 1980s.
>>
Scholtz, Leopold. The SADF in the Border War, 1966-1989.

This is great overview of the Border War in Namibia and Angola. Scholtz encompasses everything from the beginnings of the conflict to the push into Angola. He also discusses the contrast of COIN operations between the Kovoet and the SADF, which surprisingly enough collaborated quite a bit. Scholtz is probably the most moderate historian that has covered these subjects, many of which are now receiving significant attention. Some of the early interpretations of the conflicts in Southern Africa throw way too much of their personal opinion into their writing. If you want to read some of those opinions, look up the book Southern Africa in Crisis.
>>
File: IMG_0475.jpg (65KB, 548x417px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0475.jpg
65KB, 548x417px
>>
File: mbs.jpg (104KB, 1036x294px) Image search: [Google]
mbs.jpg
104KB, 1036x294px
The insurgents were very effective in their use of mortars to the effect that even Casspirs werent safe to be in and had to move at high speed to avoid being hit. Pic related was the most effective way of dealing with insurgents
>>
File: Casspir.jpg (100KB, 1024x768px) Image search: [Google]
Casspir.jpg
100KB, 1024x768px
>>32073677
How about this SAPS one I took a photo of in Plettenberg bay?

Here, you might like this video.

https://youtu.be/u0JLAAtHAMU
>>
>>32073974
Wow, you know about the ciskei gov't in South Africa. Most black south africans wanted to live under Apartheid instead of the ciskei gov't.

>>32074012
Here you go man, this should keep you happy. I shot them earlier this year at the SANDF military week in Port Elizabeth.

https://photos.google.com/share/AF1QipML9sZduANWrZrYxqbF6TdDRH1A6J_HDcm8zO5mLvclUaW7NRpwGnzwTG6-2ISihg?key=YUxBRlBiUGVOOHZoTUhueDNpSE4wMldTUVZtNVVR
>>
File: 565.jpg (82KB, 431x694px) Image search: [Google]
565.jpg
82KB, 431x694px
Anybody have a recommended reading list for the Rhodesian and South African conflicts?
>>
>>32074383
old SoF articles are really good
>>
>>32074383
I have a watch list for you? About 120 or so videos and growing each month.

https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLSM_02Uc6IUc1ad0MrcRaydJGsjZZf1CW
>>
>>32074360
Very nice. Impressive.
Do you live in SA?
>>
>>32074751
Not yet, but, maybe at some point here in the future. I am there quite a bit.
>>
>>32074771
I've always wanted to visit, which cities do you recommend?
I know for sure Pretoria will be at the top of my list
>>
>>32074790
Cape Town should be at the top of the list. The most amazing city I've ever been to. It's like NYC, London, Boston, and Miami all rolled into one.

It really depends on what you want to do. If you want to see animals, then you're going to up around joburg/pretoria Kruger area. If you like the beach, there's Durban, Jbay, Port Elizabeth or really any place along the garden route (you can still see animals in these places too but not like Kruger). There is really so much to see and to there. Your trip will be life changing and it's a lot cheaper to go there then you might think -especially now with the strong dollar and weak Rand. You can get there on a budget and have a lot of fun in $30/night accommodations or campsites. It's super cheap once you're there. A flight from NYC to JNB is less than $1000 right now. You could always fly into JNB and drive to Cape Town and back taking the coastal route and inland routes. You'll see a lot that way.
Thread posts: 22
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.