[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Dear /k/, what the hell are these notches on the spine I can

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 2

Dear /k/, what the hell are these notches on the spine I can see on every "survival" knife? Many sites list them as a saw blade but as far as I know saws are supposed to have sharp parts to actually do some sawing, instead of being round slabs of metal.
>>
>>32069310
It's a comb bro
>>
>>32069310
Those are crab removal tines. You brush it through your pines and hair to harmlessly remove body lice. Makes sense, in a survival situation you will get tons of lice and parasites trying to live off you in the brush.
>>
>>32069310
the square sawback that tops does is best suited for making quick and dirty square notches in stuff (like to tie a rope or something).
Technically, the first one is deeper and is supposed to be a wire breaker, but makes for a decent pot holder too.

Kind of redundant really - if you want a saw, carry a saw.
>>
>>32069310
if that's a survival knife then i fucking give up. Ill just die in the woods because i have no fucking idea how shit works now
>>
>>32069310
those serrations are a carry over from the united states military knife, where it was original designed to cut the thin aluminum walls of aircraft in the case of trapped crew in military helicopters ad such.

of course the rambo movies made it so EVERY had to put teh fuckign serrations on their survival knifes even when teh original purpose is a never ina life time incident for teh target consumer.
>>
>>32069310
it's supposed to be a saw. but it just getting in the way because it makes it fucking impossible to baton kindling.
>>
>>32069310

It's to make things more dead when you stab them.
>>
File: 20160706_183633.jpg (342KB, 757x528px) Image search: [Google]
20160706_183633.jpg
342KB, 757x528px
>>32069310
Prostate scrubber.
>>
>>32069379

what do you mean "now"?

that's a perfect representation of 1980s survival knife design - big, heavy, 1/4'' thick to makeit extra indestructible, and subscribing to the idea that if you redesign the blade to have multiple "features", it will somehow become "more functional", and thus you'd have a single tool to replace all tools you might need.
>>
>>32069310
Ribbed for his pleasure
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.