[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm tired of hearing the same whines about the 5.56. >5.56

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 34
Thread images: 3

I'm tired of hearing the same whines about the 5.56.

>5.56 is useless out of barrels less than 20 inches
>5.56 needs to be moving at least 2500 fps to be effective

These statements are correct if your shooting 55 grain FMJ. With newer bullets such as the 75-77 grain otm/tmk, reliable fragmentation can be had at around 2000 fps, from a 16 inch barrel extending effective fragmentation range to well over a couple hundred yards.
>>
yeah man let me just buy 20 dollar a box rounds for my assault rifle

kill yourself
>>
>>32063316
>>32063251
You mean the Tula I shoot isn't the best for self defense ?
>>
File: Dont-Blame-the-holidays.png (284KB, 600x800px) Image search: [Google]
Dont-Blame-the-holidays.png
284KB, 600x800px
>>32063251
TMK fragments at slower speeds than SMK, but many people dont understand that all 7.62 is not m80, not all 5.45 is 7n6, that all.......

>>32063316
Start handloading fag
>>
>>32063316
>that ammo is too expensive to save my life

Also you can load the same ammo for half the cost.
>>
>>32063420

>thinks ammo matters in a fucking close range self defense scenario with a rifle

even fucking tula will rip anyone up at in-house ranges...

unless you are some kind of insane prepper talking about ranged battles with UN soldiers in your shitty suburb
>>
5.56 NATO within 20 feet will make a human face barely recognizable. Ask me how I know, or don't rather.
>>
Lol, 5.56 sux. Just be a man and get a battle rifle.
>>
File: AR can't penetrate this.jpg (66KB, 586x390px) Image search: [Google]
AR can't penetrate this.jpg
66KB, 586x390px
>>32063251
still can't penetrate a guard rail
>>
>>32063537
Can you give us a green text anon?
>>
>>32063553
Bullshit.
Unless this is some kinda meme or ruse, I admit I haven't been on /k/ in a few months.
>>
>>32063553
Guard rail putting sloped armor theory to good use I see.
>>
>>32063569
stupid meme pushed by brg fagets
>>
>>32063324
Still better than a handgun.
>>
>>32063553
lol
>>
>>32063553
good ting humans aren't guard rail
>>
Wait I thought when you pull trigger the gun goes "pewpewpew" the the bad guy goes dead? You need special boolet to make thing get die?
>>
>>32063563
A simplified version I guess

>On patrol in Iraq
>Expected to be uneventful, presence patrol
>Notice a bunch of plastic barrels and other things around a shack, materials used to make home made explosive sometimes
>It could be nothing, but we check it out
>Guy that's there seems really nervous
>Don't find anything at first, but something is fishy
>Took training on an Army base in Ft. Irwin how to look for false walls
>I start moving shit around
>Guy pulls out knife and charges me
>Nope
>Fire team buddy shoots him in the face immediately, maybe 10 feet away.

No hidden walls, but they had supplies hidden in the furniture. Look at guys corpse, face is all fucked up and mangled. I was going to find a pic similar to show, but honestly I dislike gore.
>>
>>32063251
When the .223 was first adopted it had 40gr pills with very high velocity, 3000+ and so they were devastating at short range and cause serious shock trauma when hitting human flesh. Using heavy weight bullets in a light cartridge like the .223 is dumb because you are losing so much muzzle velocity. You could be using something like 6.5mm Grendel which has great ballistics and will do serious damage at long range.
>>
>>32063251
let's be honest anon, with .300 blk all other rounds are inferior, especially 5.56
>>
>>32064229
lolno
>>
>>32064212

1: *5.56* was first adopted in 55 grain
2: Velocity isn't everything. Modern rounds still cause serious damage at lower velocities (Mk.262, Mk.318, M855A1, etc.)
3: Caseless telescoping ammunition is where it's at next. Will probably be in 6.5, so you can rejoice then I guess?

http://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2016/05/08/lsat-6-5mm-plastic-cased-ammo-armys-next-small-arms-program/
>>
>>32063324
>>32063474
Tula is slav crap

Awful steel case, at least be open and tell your gun how much you hate it if you're going to shoot steel
>>
Has anybody every done their own testing to see if a 55-grain pill in a 1/14" barrel is so goddam destructive to living targets...?

And if it is, couldn't you more or less replicate the effect by using something like a Hornady VMAX out of any barrel you please? Or were the terminal effects different?
>>
>>32064664
The thing to understand is that high velocity creates huge hitting energy, because energy = mass x velocity squared. So as you increase velocity the energy increases quadradically. with increase in velocity, and since it is very easy to push tiny bullets to hit 4000fps you get good muzzle energy in something like a 22-250, which would be great if you were shooting dear at point blank range, but these small bullets lose energy really fast. Bottom line is that small caliber rounds are only good at short range, so when you start increasing bullet weight and shortening barrel length then the hitting energy of the bullets is gone and so you are left with something that is only good as an assault rifle, not a field rifle.
>>
>>32063553
armco is some badass shit
>>
>>32063553
DOTD approved.
>>
>>32064664
The ammo used in vietnam was 55g if i remember correctly and was used in 1/14 barrels. It caused the bullets to tumble, causing accuracy to go to shit but caused extreme damage like blowing off limbs.
>>
>>32063251
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FNekOq9CBQA
>>
>>32063736
>shot some fucker in the face from 10 feet in iraq
probably would have sufficed too
>>
>>32065232

As interesting as that video is, I'm just gonna put this out there:

Anything under a 10.5" barrel in 5.56 is a meme. I'd even say anything under 10.5" in 5.56, 6.5, 6.8, .308 (Yes, I've seen it done), and 7.62x39 is a meme.

Sub-10.5" is fine for .300BLK, 9mm, .45, 10mm, 5.7, 4.6, 5.45, etc.

Also, memepups are for losers. Folding stocks are fine. (Unless we ever get civvy repro's of PDR's, A-91's, TKB-022PM's, etc., then I rescind that statement.)
>>
>>32065261
That would imply I did it.

Anyway, he asked I told. No one made you read it.
>>
>>32064587
Century Arms C93.
>loves steel case.
>>
>>32064664
I have an A1 barrel that I recently shot out, and it relentlessly keyholes, but groups well enough to hit cans at 50m.
Id love to hit something like ballistic gel.
Thread posts: 34
Thread images: 3

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.