[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

You vets, how many times have you or anyone in your unit actually

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 39
Thread images: 7

File: 1355602484173.jpg (84KB, 350x350px) Image search: [Google]
1355602484173.jpg
84KB, 350x350px
You vets, how many times have you or anyone in your unit actually pulled out and used a handgun in a firefight?

A question popped into my head a while ago balancing the two: it's better to have one than not vs you could carry more ammo for your long-gun for the weight and space of your sidearm and its ammo.

Not saying it's not important to train with both, just a question.
>>
>>32046259
Your basic Infantryman isn't issued one. Period. SNCOs and officers are.

Machine gunners sometimes get them, but often units don't give them one either. The secondary handgun thing is primarily a meme perpetuated by video games.

Source: was a gruntfag
>>
>>32046305
Pretty much this. On my deployment during OIF the lowest rank to have a beretta was the first sergeant.
>>
>>32046327
Nobody really wants one anyways. It's just more weight, and there's few good places to put a holster. Drop legs wobble around, your belt is covered by your flak, and the front of your flak gets dragged through the dirt when you prone (plus taking your flak off once you get back in the wire then becomes more complicated)
>>
File: tumblr_n59toqQgUV1qbau6so1_500.gif (417KB, 450x254px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_n59toqQgUV1qbau6so1_500.gif
417KB, 450x254px
>>32046259
The medic had one, and that was it.

Full on SUPPRESSING FIRE when he used it
>>
>>32046370
>Flak

Fellow marine? Seems like army guys always call it their "kit". Yet we refer to it as our flak. Am I right or wrong?
>>
>>32046385
Yeah marine here. Haven't spoken to enough soldiers about their gear to know what they call it.
>>
File: 1432841988298.gif (1MB, 320x425px) Image search: [Google]
1432841988298.gif
1MB, 320x425px
>>32046391
I've lurked /k/ for years. I can usually tell by our different terminology.

Called it!
>>
>>32046385
i think its because we were still given actual vietnam era flak jackets up until 2006 in boot and shit so the name just stuck

its getting called a plate carrier more and more in pog land
>>
>>32046403
To be fair, I've been EAS'd for years. I'm surprised I remember much at all.
>>
>>32046406
>we were still given actual vietnam era flak jackets up until 2006 in boot

I went to boot in 08 and we got the old woodland flaks, complete with missing buttons and odd stains.
>>
>>32046419
i have 2 brand new un issued ones in my DMO storage back home. They were locked up and forgotten in a quadcon in a warehouse on oki back in 2004. they smell god awful for some reason though so i'll probably never be able to sell em
>>
>>32046449
Take em to the self-serve car wash and pressure wash those fuckers with the soapy setting on.

Just out of curiosity, if you were to sell them, what would you ask for them?
>>
>>32046449
My buddy got thrown on a working party in Iraq where they were just throwing that shit into the burn pit. He mailed 2 of them home.

He even mailed a m203 home. Which is kinda cool, but I always asked where the hell he expected to get any 40mm to use it with.
>>
>>32046475
dunno honestly probably 50 bucks if i was selling to another marine or soldier that wanted one for "dem memories"

as much as i possibly could ask if i was to sell to some kid who just "collects"
>>
>>32046499
They make low pressure 40mm flares and chalk rounds. They used to make an adaptor that let you shoot a fuckload of .22s at once.
>>
>>32046519
If we happen to cross paths again and you want to sell, I'll give you a hundy for one.
>>
>>32046406
We called the coyote ones that split down the middle flaks too. Only our new (er) MTVs are called plate carriers afaik.

T. POG reservist

>>32046419
Was still using those in 2012, although MCT had phased them out for the coyote ones.
>>
File: Chetniks_Flag.svg.png (66KB, 1280x823px) Image search: [Google]
Chetniks_Flag.svg.png
66KB, 1280x823px
>>32046499
could buy some 37mm flares and shims for that extra 3mm.

ive also got some serbian death squad AK furniture i got when i was stationed there. I have one of their flags as well. pic related but embroidered with silver frills. One of the fornats we worked with told me it reads "If gods on our side then nobody is on theirs" or something like that. Never cared enough to translate
>>
>>32046557
*IMTV
>>
>>32046552
sho nuff

though i wont be back stateside till 2018
>>
File: serveimage.jpg (711KB, 3504x2336px) Image search: [Google]
serveimage.jpg
711KB, 3504x2336px
>>32046557
>Only our new (er) MTVs are called plate carriers afaik

We called the MTVs plate carriers at well. Only the super minimalist actual plate carriers (see pic) got called plate carriers.
>>
>>32046584
>hough i wont be back stateside till 2018

fuuuuck that sucks lol
>>
>>32046594
dat face when they tell you your on bravo range on stone bay
>>
>>32046594
>We called the MTVs plate carriers at well

Correction, because I'm a fucking retard: We called the MTVs *flaks*, not plate carriers
>>
>>32046594
I like them, but the Flaks were easier to to sleep in, and they had the added bonus of being warm here in the PNW. Also with full plates the cummerbund makes the plate carrier extremely tight imo. Not to mention that fags would pull the emergency rip cord if they got the chance (although that feature made packing it super easy).
>>
I've never heard of anyone actually using their sidearm in a firefight, and everyone in my unit has an assigned pistol.
>>
>>32046604
Do you by chance know the hot dog guy on stone bay?
>>
>>32046619
>but the Flaks were easier to to sleep in

Hells yes, that collar was the bees knees

>>32046604

Somehow I always ended up having to hump it out to charlie
>>
Damn you guys, got me going on a nostalgia trip. Currently browsing the lejeune area on google maps to see how much I remember.
>>
>>32046619
>Sleeping in your flak
Not. Even. Once.

It's my life. Even in Hellmanz province. If I'm gonna die in my sleep, I'ma die comfy (in my dirt hole).
>>
>>32046622
nah though i could be a dick and say everyone knows the range hot dog dude. Guy makes big monies

>>32046632
i'd take that long run/walk out to charlie over the faggotry that is bravo. we once had one of the blocks point a loaded rifle at us because he was a fucking moron. I've seen that entire fucking staff get replaced and STILL be fucking retarded

my favorite was when they dropped 10 marines on qual day because one of the coaches didn't wake up on time then the range OIC called our staff non fire crazy
>>
>>32046665
Lol, I watched an LT ND on charlie range. Just out of fuckin nowhere, right after we got ammo, BLAM. Fortunately he was pointed downrange, but that rat bastard didn't even get kicked off the range.
>>
>>32046681
Lt's gonna Lt

years ago people used to ND intentionally get kicked off the range instead of losing an expert qual.

shit's changed in funny ways.
>>
>>32046694
Speaking of losing an expert qual, I had one from boot camp, using the good ol' irons, and could never beat sharpshooter in the fleet with the RCO. I can't stand having a sight without windage adjustments.
>>
File: download (39).jpg (4KB, 258x195px) Image search: [Google]
download (39).jpg
4KB, 258x195px
>>32046694
That's fucking weak sauce, for real.

I was a rifle coach and never once witnessed that. I'd recommend a nigger getting NJP'd for it.

>Pic related, getting to wear a safari hat because
>>
>>32046665

>TFW you're a coach and you coach on three ranges

You gotta realize that there is a reason why officers and the SNCO's are assigned to the ranges and it isn't a good one. They most likely fucked up somewhere and got shitcanned from their old units.

I enjoy my relays being moved around and units overlap each other and it is a greater joy when I have to coach fucking females because of it.

>Table 2
>I get this dumbass black female PFC who likes to back sass
>You're not shooting your target
>Yes I am
>No you're not
>YES I AM
>NO YOU'RE FUCKING NOT YOUR FUCKING BARREL IS POINTING AT THE TARGET AT THE RIGHT OF YOU JESUS FUCKING CHIRST ON A BUN
>I keep putting the barrel in the general direction of her target but she kept moving it the right of her
>I kinda lost my shit at this point
>JESUS FUCKING CHRIST WHERE IS YOUR GOD DAMN FUCKING COACH THAT WAS WITH DURING GRASS WEEK
>Over there, sarnt
>She points over to a what looked like a small child wearing cammies sitting on the benches
>Of course, it's a fucking wook
>YOU, YES YOU WOOK, FIX YOUR FUCKING SHOOTER BEFORE I SHOVE MY SIZE 9 UP HER ASS
>I went back to coaching my string of shooters and said fuck those relays
>The blocks were all laughing their asses off at the spectacle
>I didn't even get a god damned box chow that day either
>>
>>32046419
>Odd stains

Anon, you know what those stains are from.
>>
>>32046775
>>I didn't even get a god damned box chow that day either

You poor soul
Thread posts: 39
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.