[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Alright /k/, let's talk Gam-Gams. Does anyone here have

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: florida-lady.jpg (24KB, 401x326px) Image search: [Google]
florida-lady.jpg
24KB, 401x326px
Alright /k/, let's talk Gam-Gams. Does anyone here have actual experience with setting up an older woman for home defense? What do you guys do for your moms and grandmas if you aren't there and they have no males in the house?

I am trying to figure out the ideal weapon for my grandma. She usually has my uncle around but when he's not there I would like her to have something she can rely on. She has expressed interest in this, especially due to the fact our neighbors had a break in not too long ago, and I know she has experience shooting back when she was younger because her dad hunted and took her a few times.

My concerns with semi auto pistols are limp wristing due to obvious week hands. For this reason I am leaning towards a revolver or a shotgun. Shotgun would be 20 guage I am thinking, and while ideal in most aspects, I think the weight is kind of limiting and cumbersome for an elderly woman. I think a revolver might be the best bet, maybe a 4" 357 loaded with low pressure 38's. The trigger pull on double action seems to be the only hurdle here. I wish I could get a limp wrist proof semi that was striker fired with a 3.5lb trigger pull. I don't know, elderly women are so frail and weak that maybe this is an impossible task and maybe I should just accept that. What do you guys think? I'm sure plenty of you know grandmas that can swing a double barrel 12 gauge like a feather duster, mine is just not in that kind of shape or has that type of strength, so I really want to hear from people who have experience with similar situations
>>
>>32033304
You know I really don't have an answer I could count on and I would never recommend a 22 in normal circumstances but maybe a 22 revolver would actually be good here?
There are heavy 22 revolvers and a ruger LCR might be good too. I know the triggers are heavy but I worry more about her causing a malfunction on a semi-auto or unable to hold the gun after firing anything heavier.
>>
>>32033304
Also with shotguns, unless it was semi, I don't think she could handle the manual of arms for racking and reloading by herself. So either a break open or a semi that can be loaded for her by someone else beforehand.

Also for the revolvers, I am thinking rimfire is out as well, because although the recoil would be low, the trigger pull is just too heavy.

Maybe I should settle on just a big can of bear spray and have her hope for the best?
>>
>>32033327
Yeah that is exactly what my concern is with the semi auto handguns. I just know she would limp wrist and jam the fuck out of a glock, and a 1911 might be feasible but the recoil would probably be too great. Maybe a 1911 with a 22 conversion slide? There should be no recoil on that, especially with the standard steel frame. Anyone ever set their grandma up with something like that?

It just sucks to know she's defenseless without anyone there, but maybe that's what I have to accept

Anyone know if they make like panic button alarms that immediately call the police? Kind of like what bank tellers use? Something that brings the police right away, with no phone conversation needed?
>>
https://youtu.be/xB7iz1HTh9U

Is the MP40 the ideal tool for this?
>>
>>32033331
ruger 10/22 with souped up light trigger, take safety off, charge it and tell gam gam don't mess with it unless a refugee breaks in.
I really don't have an easy answer that doesn't involve you pre-charging the weapon if it's not a revolver.
>>
>>32033395
Yeah I would obviously precharge any weapon for her, she wouldn't be playing with it unless she really needed it and there are no kids or younger irresponsible people around so not too worried about that.

I totally forgot about the 10/22, that is actually a good idea. Maybe if I could find a really light synthetic stock, and obviously one without a target bull barrel. Or maybe the Ruger Charger?
>>
>>32033395
I mean she is not invalid, she can cook and stuff so she has the strength to move pots of soup around the stove and all that. She just has weaker fingers because of arthritis, so manual dexterity is difficult for fine motor tasks like loading bullets and what not
>>
File: 120520-grandma-got-a-gun.jpg (34KB, 517x389px) Image search: [Google]
120520-grandma-got-a-gun.jpg
34KB, 517x389px
https://youtu.be/GhBqwVmqOU4

bump with more MP40 grandmas
>>
Come on guys, surely I am not the only /k/ommando to ever worked on this problem
>>
File: 1476568331676.png (660KB, 1024x576px) Image search: [Google]
1476568331676.png
660KB, 1024x576px
>>32033500
We uncuck'd ourselves. You guys do the same first, then you can ask.
>>
>>32033518
This makes zero sense, I am assuming you replied to the wrong thread
>>
>>32033603
you German?
>>
File: 960.jpg (84KB, 960x540px) Image search: [Google]
960.jpg
84KB, 960x540px
>>32033603
Shit. You're right. I'm fucked. My mistake.
>>
>>32033621
No.....and I voted for Trump, jackwad. Where the hell did you get German? Lol
>>
if it was my grandmother my thought would be to get her a carbine

M1 carbine
maybe a very lightweight ar15 in 5.56 or 9mm
various pistol caliber carbines
>>
>>32033662
Actually as comical as it seems to picture her with an AR15, this might be a decent option if I left everything loaded and ready to go for her. And just showed her the safety... I just feel like the blast and concussion of a round going off indoors would probably fuck her up pretty good, maybe even knock her out lol. Nobody has armed their grandmas here?

I am heavily leaning towards just a can of bear spray now
>>
>>32033662
Maybe a lightweight AR15 in 9mm like you are suggesting, I like that idea...or a similar 9mm carbine like the CZ Skorpion
>>
While upper body strength is going to be a potential issue, you probably want to think about grip strength too.

I took a bunch of "women of a certain age" out shooting once and some of them had a haft time racking the slide on the Glock and the 1911.

Some of the ladies had some mass and were able to handle the shotgun with bird shot. None of them had a problem with the AR.

One more about the 12 ga. The one point j made that seemed to get through to them (besides "booger hook off the bang switch) was "hold it like someone is trying to take it away from you. ". No drops and no muzzling.

Bunch of red hat killers, the lot of them.
>>
My grandma had a .410 h&r at the bedside and a 25acp in the purse

She never had her CC permit either
>>
>>32033838
Thanks, yes the racking of slides on handguns and the general manual of arms has me concerned with her lack of wrist and grip strength. I think a precharged AR15 or similar type weapon in some sort of pistol caliber might be the best option, the more I think about it. It must be super light though, I don't have experience with a CZ Scorpion, is it pretty light?

>>32034498
Lol, what kind of cop is going to hassle a grandma with a 25ACP in her purse

based grandma from the old america
>>
My grandma's got a ruger 10/22 with a 25 round mag, I think that would work fine. If not she's also got a deer rifle
>>
>>32033518
>>32033603
>>32033621
>>32033653

what the fuck
>>
>>32033304
My Granny is cool as shit. Grew up the only girl with six brothers. Her dad taught her how to shoot, fish and the rest.

She kept my Grandfather 1911 at her bedside for the longest time, but a few years back, we all went shooting and she had trouble with the slide and a bit with the safety. Talked her into a S&W model 65. She has a lot more faith in it, and is a damn good shoot.
>>
>>32033304
Just get her an 20 gauge over under shotgun
>can reload with arthritis
>easy for home defense
>may have some recoil but a good stock can fix it
>ammo is super easy to find
>easy to clean and use
>>
File: 1476238041144.gif (3MB, 400x303px) Image search: [Google]
1476238041144.gif
3MB, 400x303px
>>32034600
You fucking nigger you neglected to include the part where I said he was right, I dun goof'd and was in the wrong thread >>32033635
>>
File: 1469675109769.gif (403KB, 245x118px) Image search: [Google]
1469675109769.gif
403KB, 245x118px
>>
File: 1298417345_guns-3.jpg (60KB, 700x447px) Image search: [Google]
1298417345_guns-3.jpg
60KB, 700x447px
>>
bombp
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.