[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So /k/, I was watching something about the Mekong delta and I

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 12
Thread images: 2

File: IMG_0601.jpg (49KB, 660x433px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0601.jpg
49KB, 660x433px
So /k/, I was watching something about the Mekong delta and I was wondering, how would you have fought the Vietnam war, if you were forced to fight it?
I was thinking, maybe if you had enough men, start putting platoon sized elements in various villages. If you think a village is supplying the enemy, say, "oh, we'll protect this rice supply the Vietcong come and steal you say. We'll just hang out here and help around the town/build fortifications."
Then have quick reaction forces in helicopters or landing craft and air support on station. If someone gets attacked, you call in the cavalry.
>>
>you have reason to believe a village is supporting the enemy
>you think its a good idea to make a possibly subversive village your base
>>
File: IMG_0055.jpg (1MB, 2816x2112px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0055.jpg
1MB, 2816x2112px
>>32003516
Clear the village of any weapons cache that the mean old VC put in that poor ladies house. Put rice supplies way out in a paddy covered in interlocking fields of fire, so the townspeople can use it safely and it doesn't fall into the wrong hands.
Monitor all routes in and out of the village and check people.
But also play with the kids, maybe fix a roof or two.
There's a lot of wink wink nudge nudge in it, but if you get some on your side, and can watch the others, it might work.
Though I'm more specifically talking about small villages in the Mekong delta.
Ideally I'd like to talk about individual areas and how we'd work them, or I suppose the war as a whole.
If we break down each corps, how they divided combat zones, maybe /k/ can win the Vietnam war.
>>
>>32003496

>don't fight them
>don't bomb people we promised to allow to govern themselves
>don't fight colonial wars for other nations
>take advantage of the fact that post war Vietnamese LOVED Americans
>strike a deal with Communists
>allow all political refugees to come to the US and the US will offer a development aid package and establish friendly bilateral relations
>Vietnam is now a US ally
>Vietnam fights China
>we give Vietnam weapons
>Vietnam fucks up the Chinese even worse than they historically did
>we put political and economic pressure on Vietnam via American companies that are invested there
>they become "Communists" in name only
>Vietnam, S. Korea, the Phillipines, and Japan backed by the US become a massive juggernaut that China still cannot hope to compete with in 2016

We fucked up the political war. What we did in Vietnam is the entire reason China is so powerful now. Vietnam should've been in America's pocket to this day, but we were on an autistic rampage against communism (that ironically only made sympathizers worse) and the French managed to bait our crusade into a full blown colonial war on their behalf.
>>
>>32003644
I don't disagree, I think we can all agree not getting involved is the best option; but I'm saying if you had to fight the war.
>>
Full scale amphibious invasion and armored drive to Hanoi. End the war in 2 weeks.
>>
>>32003670

Yeah I was just bringing up a point nobody seems to ever bring up.

If I had to fight it? High impact physical violence. Bomb an area to ashes and send an armor division to occupy it. Rinse repeat until the NVA collapses.

Take the fight north of the DMZ, occupy and destroy North Vietnam, do not turn it into a police action. Have a clear goal: destroy the communists and occupy North Vietnam. Meet that goal. Win the war. Invite the French back to garrison the area once the fighting is done.
>>
>>32003696
I like it.
I did say if you had to. Not if you had to without other countries probably getting involved.
>>
>>32003753
Yea i mean, soviet russia and china and shit might have an issue with it. But fuck the politicians, i'd Patton it.

Think you could knock Hanoi out before China or Russia got mobilized anyway. So bring it.
>>
>>32003745
>invite the French back to garrison
This could lead to a stronger France today. Nice.
>>
>>32003778
Just occupy it and be like, "they started it"
Then at the very least you have the best kind of negotiation starting position. A country's capital.
>>
>>32003872
Yea exactly, if you gonna kick off do it in the best position.
Thread posts: 12
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.