[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting ready to build an AR15. What barrel material would you

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 13
Thread images: 2

File: iipsrv.jpg (20KB, 550x550px) Image search: [Google]
iipsrv.jpg
20KB, 550x550px
Getting ready to build an AR15.

What barrel material would you guys recommend?

Melanite, Chrome moly, chrome lined, or 416SS?

I'm looking for something that will last me awhile and give decent accuracy. I'm used to chrome lined, but it seems to be getting a lot harder to find. At least in stock anyways. And I'm seeing pretty good deals on 416SS barrels.
>>
Ideally steel.
>>
>>32002957
"""Melanite""" is a heat treatment process

Chrome lining is an application of material to the surface of a barrels rifling

For someone as stupid as you it isn't going to matter.
>>
File: ImadeThis.png (157KB, 436x1380px) Image search: [Google]
ImadeThis.png
157KB, 436x1380px
>>32002957
>>
>>32002957
Whatever you do just make it buffertubeless.
>>
>>32003523
Um.....Kay. I build mine from scratch. Currently have a stripped upper and lower. Just looking at barrels.

>>32003679
Um....kay.
>>
>>32003149
>>32005962
Melanite/tenifer treatments diffuse carbon and nitrogen into the surface of whatever's being treated. It greatly increases the hardness and corrosion resistance of the metal.

Unlike chrome lining, it doesn't change the physical dimensions of the barrels bore, so it has the potential to be more accurate. Although, chrome may last longer, I'm not sure how many rounds each type of barrel can be expected to last.

If you're wanting to shoot quite a bit, I would avoid stainless steel. I was under the impression they didn't last near as long as melonite treated or chrome lined barrels.
>>
>>32002957
http://palmettostatearmory.com/psa-16-m4-moe-rifle-kit.html
>>
>>32005962
>Um....Kay.
>Scratch
>being this 12 years old
>>
With chrome lined you definitely want a reputable barrel maker as there are poor, uneven chrome lined barrels.
>>32006099 FN supplied PSA chrome lined barrels are good to go.
>>
>>32006099
>>32006177
As someone who is interested in ARs but has never looked into actually building one before, this kit sounds pretty sweet.

What are the downsides of it apart from having to assemble it?

What's the actual cost of turning such a kit into a gun? Is there anything else missing here apart from a lower, sights/optic, and magazines?

What are the big things to look for in building an entry-level AR that's at least mil-spec or better in most/all important areas?
>>
>>32006242
Just have to buy a lower. No cost if you assemble the lower. If you have punches you are good to go.
>>
>>32005962
>Scratch
>Fully built lower
Do you even CNC
Thread posts: 13
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.