[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Getting a Shield for CCW. Should I go 9MM or .40? I figure

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 55
Thread images: 5

File: maxresdefault.jpg (1MB, 2996x1684px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
1MB, 2996x1684px
Getting a Shield for CCW.

Should I go 9MM or .40?

I figure 9MM is decent enough, but 40 does afford some benefits... What do you think /k/?
>>
>>31999692
9mm
>.40 it's got some benefits
The guy behind the counter tell you that?
>>
>>31999692
I wouldn't want to be hit with either. Both calibers are readily available. I got the 9mm shield because I didn't have a 9 in the collection.
>>
9mm is better in every conceivable way
>>
>>31999747
I'm pretty sure .40 has far better meme power
>>
>>31999692
.40 is a little snappy in this gun, which just means that it's hard to get a tight enough grip on the thing so that it doesn't jump slightly out of your grip in between shots. Talon grip tape would help, although I haven't tried it. My father has one and I can shoot with it alright, but it's just a little snappy for my preference. If you look at the new .45 ACP Shield, they changed the grip texture to deal with that, so you could take a chance on grip tape improving the handling of .40, but I'd just get 9mm so you have the extra capacity.
>>
File: nClOjBK.jpg (14KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
nClOjBK.jpg
14KB, 480x360px
>>31999713

No guns detected. Anyone who thinks .40 doesn't offer any benefits is stupid ass fuck no guns who just repeats /k/ memes to try to fit in.

I carry a Glock 26 in 9mm, but I also own .40s and they can send a 135g projectile at 1400fps, and you can push that even more so.

I'm comfortable with the 9mm because I can shoot it very well, but if you think you can control the .40, it's actually a better round in every way. Size and speed.
>>
>>31999747

>in every conceivable way
>less speed
>less weight

Just one or two more rounds in the mag, that's it. If you can't control the .40 then sure, the 9mm is better for YOU.
>>
>>31999692

I'd choose a .40 in a full size gun over a 9mm any day, 40's can approach near 357 magnum territory out of a full size barrel.

BUT, out of a small CC gun, 9mm is better for the added capacity, and control-ability.
>>
>>31999692
Try them before you buy them. Not many people can effectively control .40 in that little gun.
>>
>>31999792
>>31999803
More speed isn't inherently better in terminal ballistics.

Take a round that performs well, and add 100fps. Maybe that round expands too early, causing increased drag, leading to underpenetration.

For handgun calibers, there are only two factors that really matter. In order of importance:
-Adequate penetration depth (12-18 inches)
-Expanded size of the largest fragment

Pick the platform that meets your needs, then pick the best caliber that round performs with, then pick a good loading in that caliber.
>>
>>31999692
You're probably not going to enjoy shooting a .40 cal in that size frame. That means you won't practice much with it. Go for the 9.
>>
>>31999822
why not just go with 357sig then?
full sized 9mm have nearly 20 rounds.
>>
I have the 9mm. My range buddy has the .40, so I shoot it on a regular basis. The .40 is snappier as others have pointed out, but nothing you can't deal with after a little range time. I prefer the 9mm because of the extra capacity. Go somewhere you can rent both and try them side by side.
>>
>>31999792
>let me just call him a noguns then fabricate a story of me having guns while I jerk off
Alright, lets address the predicament. OP asked about a Shield for a CCW, now, the shield is a good gun, though the few in .40 I have shot, shot worse than other .40s of the same size. So, in my personal experience and opinion, to which OP asked, the 9mm Shield is the better alternative. I didn't get in a dickwaving contest over .40/9mm but you decided
>NO, I must have a pissing contest because I have nothing better to do than scream and piss all over myself for all to see
I never said .40 was a bad round, it's just the combo that's all too common in gun stores to gouge the fuck out of somebody for a .40, shitty holster, shitty ammo and sell it to them like its the next best thing since sliced bread.
>>
The M&P series pistols do not feel good in .40, stick with 9mm. I think the slide will actually be thicker on the .40 in that pistol so you're also sacrificing a weight advantage.
>>
The full and complete list of reasons to buy a pistol in .40:
>Shooting USPSA with commercial ammo in Major power factor
>Patrol cop who expects to shoot through auto glass in >50% of OISs
>Diversification in case of a future ammo scarcity (after Sandy Hook you could find .40 in every store, but 9mm was sold out for months)

If your reason for wanting .40 doesn't fall in that list, rethink your purchase.
>>
>>31999842
I hope someone in the real world thoroughly schools you about why you are so wrong, someday. You are in serious need of a lesson in humility.
>>
>>31999958
You too.
>>
>>
>>31999962
What exactly is wrong about that? Hydrostatic shock doesn't exist at handgun ballistic speeds. You gain no benefit from extra speed in a handgun round if it doesn't add to the bloodloss caused by the permanent cavity.
>>
>>32000057
The guy who responded to you wasn't the first guy you responded to, which is me.

You said

>add 100fps and it might expand to early.

Yes, but you're also adding 10 grains.

I would also like to point out, the best man stopper out there is a .357 mag 125grains at more WAY more speed than a 9mm and it has amazing and adequate penetration and expansion.
>>
>>31999871
Sure I might have come on a little strong. But if a gun store pushes a .40 at someone, they're not really under arming them.
>>
>>31999856
Because for the average engagement that a pistol will suffice in, 14 to 15 rounds of 357 sig will suffice. More than likely I'm not even gonna empty the mag.

I might have to empty the mag with 9mm though. Muhh daddy was a highway patrol man and he said he favors the 357 sig because of the penetration it gets on cars and windshields while still retaining enough energy to mess somebody up.

I live in a shithole city and am always driving and most of my dangerous encounters with assholes has been while driving and stuck in traffic.
>>
Just don't carry it next to your water or water pistol, you don't want it to fail.
>>
>>32000057
>Hydrostatic shock

Don't use this term. This refers to something that isn't real (Shooting an animal in one place and bursting a blood vessel in an entirely different place). There have been plenty of shitshows on /k/ over confusion of what this term actually means.

The term you are looking for is "cavitation"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cavitation
>>
>>31999713
>>31999747
>>31999842
>>32000057
these faggots won't bother to read the fbi memo, so don't bother explaining to them why 9mm is objectively superior.

they'll argue muh size muh speed but completely ignore its total irrelevance in the handgun caliber class versus human targets due to different wound trauma and cavitation effects

they won't concede capacity as one of the most important factors in any firearm

they won't concede modern bullet design creating negligible size difference at maximum expansion

they won't concede the objectively higher target reacquisition rate of lighter recoiled arms

they're desperate to justify their purchases in meme calibers and can't confront their obvious buyer's remorse
>>
>>31999692
I have a shield in a 9mm and I am pretty happy with it.

Generally speaking, if I were to go to a .40 I'd want to go with a bigger frame that could handle the increase in caliber. Doing the limited research when looking for a ccw, I found that a 9mm would perform adequately with the proper bullet.

Besides, I know people that even carry a .22 for a ccw.

Nonetheless, I think if I was in a situation where I'd have to draw and operate my weapon I'd want one that is comfortable and easy to manipulate under stress.

And that's really all that matters.
>>
>>32000142
If you add 10 grains, you now have a completely different bullet. I was talking about changing one variable at a time. Take a 124gr Gold Dot +P, which performs well, and add another 100fps, and it might not perform as well as it does at the rated speed.

In order for a round to be recommended by ballistic experts, you need to test that round at a given speed. This is why you need to purchase a load taking into account the difference in barrel length between your gun and that used in the test. This doesn't just apply to shorter barrels, but longer ones too.

Police didn't keep good stats of their shootings until very recently, after they switched from revolvers to pistols. Given that the standard load was a semi-wadcutter, the speculation is that the reputation actually came from psychological stops rather than physiological stops, caused by the 357 creating so much light and noise that it's like a mini flashbang going off. Given that psychological stops cannot be relied upon, we need to choose our loads based on their ability to create physiological stops.
>>
>>32000255

You won't concede the FBI report isn't 100% correct Mr.Appealtoauthority retard.

Other agencies, like the Secret Service, Air Marshalls and the Highway Patrol prefer a .357 sig due to it's ability to penetrate barriers and still have enough energy to hurt the guy fatally.

So who's right? FBI? Or the other agencies?

Perhaps it is up to our own needs, like theirs?
I drive all the time, if I get in a shoot out it will most likely be through my car, or at another persons car, the added penetration and power matters to me.
>>
>>32000332

None the less, through simple ballistic gel testing, one can completely and utterly see the devastation of a 125 grain 357 mag going at 1500 to 1700fps depending on the barrel.

Very good penetration, and almost fool proof expansion. You can find the tests everywhere.

This is why I have electronic ear pro and my bedside gun as the 357 mag by the way, I've already taken that mini flashbang into consideration. For carry though, due to the nature of my life and work, I carry a 357 sig.

But when I am going out for a walk or something, or to the park, I carry a small 9mm.
>>
>>31999692
Go 40.
Don't listen to the weak limp wristed faggots in this thread.
40 is objectively superior in everything but cost.
What's your life worth to you?
>>
>>31999692
I have the Performance Center Shield in 9. It's really fun to shoot. Ammo is cheap in my area for it.

I'd go with the 9mm just on ammo cost alone. You can shoot it more often. But if you like .40 and can shoot it often, go for it, it's your gun, your wallet, your life, your fun. Only true difference between them that's discernible is the magazine capacity.

6 rounds of .40 in flush, 7 rounds in extended. 7 in flush, 8 in extended in 9mm magazines.
>>
>>32000413

Though I did defend .40 in this thread, out of small gun like the shield I think 9mm would be better actually.
>>
>>32000000
>>
>>32000413
>objectively
>>
>>32000413
>What's your life worth to you?
How much do you spend per year on ammo?

By switching to 9mm, you would be able to shoot more on the same budget.

You shoot 3000 rounds of .40 per year? With 9mm you could shoot 4000 rounds per year.
>>
>>31999775
I have tiny manlet hands and a .40 shield. It jumps but nowhere near what you're describing and I've never lost control of have bad groups because of it.

I swear sometimes k is just a bunch of air soft playing neckbeards that never actually own or shoot guns.
>>
File: image.jpg (1MB, 3264x2448px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
1MB, 3264x2448px
>>31999692
I have both, they're basically the same a little more kick with the 40 but the 9mm is what I carry. Ammo is cheaper the only pro to getting the 40 is that the barrels are the same size so if you want to shoot 9mm order the barrel and mag online. You can trust me I took the time to write this whilst shitting
>>
Get the .40, you can swap in a 9mm barrel but not vice versa

Or get the new .45 Shield
>>
>>32001233
Do you shoot against a timer?

Maybe you get good groups in slow-fire, but what about at a defensive pace?

Take a 9mm Shield and a .40 Shield, and see what your groups look like if you do exactly one shot per second. Then see what they look like at two shots per second. Try running a USPSA/IDPA stage several times and compare your times, both your personal best and what you can do consistently.

Unless you're dealing with a USPSA division that scores different for Power Factor, chances are you'll have better scores with the 9mm.
>>
>>31999692
I know you asked only about 9mm or 40S&W, just wanted to chime in that I have a Shield in 45ACP and I love the thing. But it is slightly larger than the 9/40
>>
>>31999692
You know there's a .45 shied now, right OP? I mean, get the 9mm, but if you want a step up, might as well get a .45
>>
>>32000255
This faggot won't even bother to research the actual reason for the switch.

He won't concede that the switch from 10mm to .40S&W was because of bitches and men with bitch wrists.

He won't concede that the switch from .40S&W to 9mm was for the exact same reason.

He's so desperate to justify the validity of the only caliber his bitch wrists can handle that he projects his inadequacies onto other people.
>>
>>32001233
>It jumps but nowhere near what you're describing
Why are you this insecure?

Let's see what I "described," shall we? >>31999775
>so that it doesn't jump slightly out of your grip in between shots.
>jump slightly
>slightly

So you concede that it jumps, but you can't bring yourself to admit that it jumps even the least amount that language will allow us to describe?

Butthurt.
>>
>>32004445
>He won't concede that the switch from 10mm to .40S&W was because of bitches and men with bitch wrists.
This is true.

>He won't concede that the switch from .40S&W to 9mm was for the exact same reason.
This is false.

The FBI has allowed 9mm for weak agents for years. This switch is for general issue.

The FBI is switching to 9mm because with modern ammunition designs, .40S&W has no discernible benefit over 9mm, and shooters of all skill levels are faster with 9 than 40.
>>
As an owner of Shield who is trying offload his gun, just save up an extra $100 and go for the M&P9C. Slightly larger, but better magazines and capacity for use. Plus you don't have to deal with the fucking shit factory mag springs they ship them with. Never again.
>>
File: 21093450936735.jpg (236KB, 792x521px) Image search: [Google]
21093450936735.jpg
236KB, 792x521px
>>32004760
>As an owner of a Shield who is trying to offload his gun*

Also, S&W customer service ruined their reputation for me—after two weeks and four fucking phone calls was I able to replace the spring that broke.

From what one of the agents told me though, the M&P Compact line doesn't use the same equipment that the Shield line does, but after that hassle I don't think I ever want to have to rely on their dumb asses during the event my gun needs to get serviced.
>>
>>32004099
45 auto weaker then 40 and 9mm velocity, fps

Weak 45 using weak 45 auto in a 3.1 barrel......

They only released it so they can fish out the delusional .45 fags and collect there money.

You sir are a no guns faggot.
>>
>>32004972
Looking at the ballistics it's .45 on its best days is better than 9mm but by very little.

.40 is the biggest but most profitable meme caliber there is for the big companies
>>
>>32004461
"jumps slightly" =/= "jumps slightly out of your grip" jus sayin

>>31999949
False, try again minus the subjective. Also, weight difference is POINT two ounces, jebediah.. Now stand up and tell the class how you're such a stud that you can tell which is heavier when holding both. twink
Owner of several emmenpee's here. Fotay full, fotay compak and fotay figh compak. They feel good, jeb, and I carry the 45c religulously.

>>32002065
wait, wat? Hey doosh, he asked about a certain pistol for ccw and your ober here sperg'n out about timers and competitions and personal bests and wooing crowds. sheesh, where are my fuggin goolashes, christard's sake!

>>32004726
>blah, blah, something, blah, no discernible benefit, blaaaaaaa
sauce?

>>32004830
So you had a mag spring that broke? O that's not odd or anything. Two weeks is excruciatingly long? Not sure about the parts interchangeability (I would think not) b/w shield line and compact, but anything failing seems to be rare or you'd be hearing much more chatter. Besides, it isn't necessary to rely on somebody else to service your firearm and any one source for parts (unless muh warranty.) Learn yourself how and you don't end up in that pinch.
>>
Having owned a shield in 40s&w for over a year+ i much preferred it in 9mm

Sold it about 6mon ago and got something in 9mm
>>
>>31999792

Is that why every department who uses .40 is switching over to 9? It doesn't offer shit, you clearly don't know shit. So fuck off retard.
>>
>>32005710
>jus sayin
No, you're not "jus sayin" anything. You are trying to make it sound like your dumb opinion exceeds your expertise.
>>
Both calibers are cool imo. For a smaller gun I'd probably get the 9 tho, but the recoil isn't as drastic as people make it seem and when you shoot a .40 you can really feel the power of the round.

Why do people argue about this shit lol? Its a fucking bullet.
Thread posts: 55
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.