[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Is a lever action more viable as a scout rifle? >already

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 46
Thread images: 7

File: 1478622766850.png (507KB, 800x1000px) Image search: [Google]
1478622766850.png
507KB, 800x1000px
Is a lever action more viable as a scout rifle?

>already comes with iron sights
>already comes with short(er) barrel usually
>faster to cycle than a bolt gun (depending)

Only disadvantage would be range of the 30-30 vs a 308. and the slightly slower loading
>>
>>31984269
>faster to cycle
you've clearly never seen autistic people use a enfield
>30-30
I've got a levergat that uses 308
>>
>>31984279
>you've clearly never seen autistic people use a enfield
True, but most of the scout-ready rifles ive seen like the mossberg scout seem like autistic renditions of people trying to make a bolt gun an AR-15 which is missing the point.

>I've got a levergat that uses 308
Is it a Browning BLR? doesnt it only hold like 3 rounds?
>>
>>31984269
No. What you want for an "improved scout rifle" is a lightweight 6.5 Grendel AR-15 build. Other than the round, which is arguably better than .308 for most purposes, you can check every box on Cooper's list with it if you try.
>>
>>31984301
>Is it a Browning BLR? doesnt it only hold like 3 rounds?
savage something
I hardly ever use it since 308 is expensive
>>
>>31984303
Im a fudd though

Plus I already have an AR that I dont care to use for general purpose stuff since most of the time i do varmint control I end up using one shot anyway, which is 90% of what a scout rifle will be doing anyway.
>>
>>31984320
If you want an improved scout rifle or whatever, you just got told how.

If you want a general purpose rifle for mostly varmit work, then say so. You don't need to be following a bunch of rules that Cooper put down decades ago to do that, which means you can have a rifle better suited to your actual use.
>>
>>31984269
That's a big bush.
>>
>>31984301
I've got a .308 BLR, and it hold 4+1 if I remember right. Changing magazines is easy though. It's super short, has decent irons, and the PO drilled and tapped the receiver for mounting a scope, which I took off when I got it. I'm thinking of putting a small 1-4x on it though, I shoot a lot better through glass than irons.
>>
>>31984269
I highly appreciate lever guns but :
-They take less pressure than, say, any Mauser derivatives design
-Often use outdated cartridges (certainly because of above). Don't misunderstand me, I love my 45-70. But face it, it cannot compete against 308 for instance. Unless they are special snowflake model.
-Tubular magazine prevents you from using point nose rounds. You will lose in range and maybe accuracy

I may forget more stuff
>>
>>31984945
Bit harder to cycle when lying prone than bolt gun
>>
Are you allowed to lewd toohoos?
>>
>>31984533
for you
>>
>>31984279
>you've clearly never seen autistic people use a enfield

You are fucking retarded, and I don't even like lever actions.
Try this with an Enfield.

www.youtube.com/watch?v=89n-51foFqI&t=0m11s
>>
>>31984269
If this post is dubs i buy a marlin levergat in .45-70
>>
File: boltvslever.jpg (159KB, 1553x437px) Image search: [Google]
boltvslever.jpg
159KB, 1553x437px
Bolt actions are simply a better, more advanced design. They are stronger, more rigid, have better magazines, have better feeding, are easier to clean, have less moving parts, have less springs and parts to wear out, are chambered in a greater number of superior calibers, are better for mounting options, are more accurate.

Lever actions are just like revolvers, fun, interesting, nice to have but obsolete for good reasons.

>>31984269
>Only disadvantage would be range of the 30-30 vs a 308
.30-30 is not comparable to .308 on any ballistic level. It is entirely inferior and 'range' is about as layman's terms as you can put it without being accused of being flat out ignorant.
>>
>>31985306

I have no doubt after 10 years of dedicated daily practice and crippling repetitive-motion joint damage, some autist could approach this same speed that your fancy lever action achieved with about 3 months of dedicated practice.

Check mate, cowboy.
>>
>>31985656

That's really not how physics work, familia.
If one design requires less leverage and a much shorter range of motion to operate, and doesn't require any extra movements to go from chambering to trigger pull, it will always be faster.
If two autists trained with the two rifles for ten years, the lever action autist would still outpace the bolt action autist by the same margin.
>>
>>31984269

One of the rotating bolt lever designs in .308 would work. Not sure if the faster cycling is necessary though. The offhand recoil from a .308 in a 7lbs rifle will be the biggest hamper to getting back on target, not cycling the action.
>>
File: U7Ghu2sh.jpg (15KB, 448x291px) Image search: [Google]
U7Ghu2sh.jpg
15KB, 448x291px
>>31985691

Just not a good one, apparently.
>>
>>31985718

I know that was your point, but my point was that ten years of training doesn't do shit to the limits of human muscle. After a certain point you get diminishing returns. You can train for ten years but you still won't beat a casual cyclist on a mile track.
>>
>>31984269
Can you get one in .308, or do you just want to build a pseudo scout? The reason Cooper called for a turnbolt repeater was mechanical simplicity. He also described the rifle as being chambered in the cartridge that's the dominant full size rifle cartridge used by militaries and law enforcement in your area, so .308 Winchester is what you need in North America for it to be a Scout.
>>
>>31985692
Do you drop the rifle before chambering another round? "Getting back on target" is only hampered by recoil in semi auto rifles.
>>
>>31985267
You can lewd anything you want, Anon.
>>
Seriously, that bush must smell divine. Oh G-d I want to press my nose deep in it and take a deep breath.
>>
>>31985943
I have one of the Ruger scouts, and I don't need to break my cheekweld to cycle the bolt.
>>
Mind if I bust in here with a question?
I was looking at the Marlin 1895 SBL, but I hear lots of bad stuff happened to Marlin ever since it got bought up by Remington, lots of claims of poor QC and sloppy handling and manufacturing. Does anyone have any experience with newer production Marlin lever guns? I was looking at the Henry rifles as an alternative, but to be entirely honest with you I'm head over heels in love with the design of the Marlin 1895 SBL, and it would be a bit of a letdown to pass it up, but I'd rather do that than suffer through the gun being stuck in customer support purgatory.
>>
>>31986072
Newer Marlins are basically good, but you better be careful anyway. Look at it, finger fuck it, cycle the action.
>>
>>31984945
Dunno, .45-70 can deliver a bullet that's twice the weight at only 700 fps slower than what the standard NATO 7.62 delivers.
>>
>>31985975
I don't break cheek weld when I cycle my BLR's bolt, but unless I'm slow and deliberate in doing so, that movement is just as hampering as recoil with regards to staying on target.
>>
>>31985943

Weird. That has not been my experience at all. I find my bolt actions offer more recoil than my gas guns. The bladed shooting stance doesn't help here either, but I need one for hitting anything accurately past 25m offhand.

I meant it takes me more time to stop my shoulder's motion up and to my left (south-paw shooter) and then steady my cross-hair back on target than I spend working the bolt.
>>
File: IMG_1786.jpg (4MB, 3456x2304px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_1786.jpg
4MB, 3456x2304px
>>31984307
>I hardly ever use it since 308 is expensive
>308
>expensive

I inherited a gun that uses $1.50 a shot .35 Remington.
>>
>>31984945
>Tubular magazine prevents you from using point nose rounds. You will lose in range and maybe accuracy
Hornady LeveRevolution, buddy.
>>
File: DSCF0204.jpg (3MB, 4608x3456px) Image search: [Google]
DSCF0204.jpg
3MB, 4608x3456px
>>31987076
>Thinks $1.50 is expensive
>>
>>31987175
Oh, I know about the $5 bill shooters like .50 and .338, but it's all relative.
>>
>>31987076
308 costs twice as much as 556/223
>>
>>31986733
Because they do have less recoil, especially DI weapons. Springs lessen recoil impulse, which means you are taken off target by a smaller amount.
>>
>>31987250
And still a third as much as my gun feeds.
>>
>>31987175
Shit nigga, is that a Lee Navy?
>>
>>31986072
newest production meaning 2015+ is fine
>>
>tfw just bought a mauser in 765 Argentine
>>
>>31985963
How fluffy is it?
>>
File: dubs_bill.jpg (64KB, 700x302px) Image search: [Google]
dubs_bill.jpg
64KB, 700x302px
>>31984269
Lever actions come in plenty of calibers that aren't .30-30
>>
>>31984279
>enfield
There isnt' enough .303 left in this world to fill up an enfield mag
>>
>>31986733
But when you work the bolt you have to remove your hand from the stock, manipulate the bolt, place your hand back on the trigger, then steady your cross hairs back on target. I don't doubt that you can do this quickly, but I don't see how that would be faster than pulling the trigger, reacquiring your target, then pulling the trigger again.
>>
>>31988017

On a stationary target, yeah, I can get back before I've returned the bolt.

Game is usually running if I need a follow up shot though. I can get a bolt back before I've usually found my lead with my crosshairs. (Which is kind of useless anyway, because I'm a too chickenshit to try and take an animal on the run.)
Thread posts: 46
Thread images: 7

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.