[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why is it that American soldiers in movies and TV shows never

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 73
Thread images: 6

File: 150417-band-of-brothers-1024x374.jpg (268KB, 1024x374px) Image search: [Google]
150417-band-of-brothers-1024x374.jpg
268KB, 1024x374px
Why is it that American soldiers in movies and TV shows never have their helmet straps fastened? Is it to keep their faces more visible, or is there some historical reason?
>>
I heard something once about it being easier to snap a sentries neck of it was fastened.
>>
>>31979260
It's because 99% of soldiers don't know that is what the straps are for and they assume it's just for looks while the 1% actually knows what it is but are too lazy to use it because it would be silly for them.
>>
>>31979294
So are the Germans just smarter?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=p2qOFBulGTg
>>
>>31979294
that is bullshit and they were fucking paratroopers in band of brothers. if they didnt have their shit fastened it would be gone.
>>31979260
it's uncomfortable as fuck wear a steel helmet on its own but the chin strap makes it suck ass.
>>
>>31979260
back in WWII and on, soldiers thought that if they were shot in the helmet their neck would be broken. they figured if they didn't use the chin strap the helmet would get knocked off instead of wrenching their neck around and breaking it.
>>
>>31979347

Is Generation War good?
>>
>>31979420
it sucked
>>
They weren't needed a lot of times. The internal liner had a strap that could be fastened down tight around the crown of your head keeping your helmet on fairly securely. Modern kevlars don't have that strap, it's all just big foam pads inside, so it doesn't sit as closely on your head. Chin straps still remain savagely uncomfortable though.
>>
Its a hollywood thing.
Pretty hard to say your lines and look heroic if the strap and chincup are pushing your jaw up and making it awkward to speak clearly into the camera.
>>
I remember people complaining that it was at times impossible to follow who was who in Black Hawk Down.
>>
>Is it to keep their faces more visible

I know this is true for the Lone Survivor movie. Can't have face paint on the actors or else no one would know who the stars are.
>>
Because it makes you look more rugged and heroic
>>
>>31979260
Historical accuracy is not Hollywood's strong point. If you ever have to ask whether something is historically accurate the answer is always no.
>>
>>31979420
I quite liked it. It's been a while since I've seen it, but I recall it not reeking of German war guilt, focusing more on the drama of five people who had completely different experiences in the war.
>>
What I've heard is that if there's an explosion ner by the helmet funnels the shockwave/fragments and will snap your neck or choke you. Probably bullshit, but w/e
But since I own a steel pot helmet I know the reason firsthand. It's uncomfortable as fuck, simple as that. You don't need the strap unless you're jumping out of an aircraft or something, so why use it?
>>
>>31979260
Hollywood thing durr. Hard to look photogenic with a chin strap on. Same reason protags who wear masks in the story's canon never wear them in the film.
>>
>>31979260
because chin straps give you a fucking headache if you keep them on for too long or your helmet gets caught on something and makes you torque your neck like a retard instead of just coming off your head
>>
>>31979260
I know i grew up doing bmx and skating without a helmet. Then they made it a law for people under 18. I remember seeing the kids wearing the helmets, but never having them strapped. As a sort of "i have to wear this, but i dont want to" thing
>>
>>31980068
this is the most retarded thing ive ever heard. Its uncomfortable but you really have to be stupid to stuck your head. Like emu level of stupidity
>>
File: muhreen.jpg (12KB, 480x360px) Image search: [Google]
muhreen.jpg
12KB, 480x360px
>>31981594
>thout a helmet. Then they made it a law for people under 18. I remember seeing the kids wearing the helmets, but never having them strapp

MUHREENS
But for real wearing helmets with the strap fully clipped is uncomfortable AF and a lot of people don't keep them snapped up unless they're expecting fire. That being said, it's still a sign of poor discipline and soldiers/sailors/marines/airpeople should keep them snapped.
>>
>>31979615
That's why they had their names written in large blocky letters on their helmet covers
>>
because its more dramatic when helmets are falling off
>>
File: (╹ᴗ╹ ).jpg (30KB, 405x358px) Image search: [Google]
(╹ᴗ╹ ).jpg
30KB, 405x358px
>>31979260
>Used to recognizing characters by hair cut
>War movies
AAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAH
>>
>Germans think American soldiers are so random XD.jpg
>>
>>31979260
>Oh no I need my helmet strap fastened! I better ask the CO for a diaper change and some warm milk as well
>>
>>31979260
Those things are uncomfortable as fuck. Just tighten the dial on the back your head strap, that'll be enough to keep that shit on.
>>
>>31982150
Oh, didn't realize he was talking about the M1 helmets. Still, the liner is enough to keep it in place. those chin straps were hell on your neck if you were to run around with it strapped.
>>
>>31982086

Lol. I'm watching through The Pacific again and I always have a hard time telling who's who in Leckie's squad. When they're wearing helmets and have dirty faces it's damn near impossible to tell what character I'm looking at, and even without the helmets 4/5 of them have a grown out high and tight with curly hair.
>>
File: IMG_4075.jpg (62KB, 500x374px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_4075.jpg
62KB, 500x374px
Read somewhere that Marines wouldnt fasten it during landings because they thought if you had to jump in the water, your helmet would rapidly fill with water and snap your neck.

I also remember reading "With The Old Breed" that Marines would tip the helmets back so they can snap in with ease so I imagine a chin strap would get in the way of that:
>>
>>31979420
Yeah, and it made jews upset because it wasn't all about the holohoax.

There is a jewish main character, but he doesn't go to the camps, he instead joins polish rebels.

Some people blasted it for not having the MCs hate jews, calling it unrealistic for the time, but their the fucking main characters, they have to have something to set them apart
>>
>>31979293
That's retarded because snapping someones neck will not out right kill them.
>>
In all levels of American society there is a distinctive distrust and disdain of helmet chin straps.
>>
>>31979260
Because helmet won't save you from a rifle round. Also the impact will break your neck.
>>
>>31979347
if that was an american he would have shot every one lol nazi's look more human then americans how about that
>>
>>31979294
Besides keeping the helmet on, what's the use of the chinstrap ?
>>
>>31979293
>>31982666
It is literally impossible for an average strength male to break a human neck with bare hands. You can't even snap a rabbit neck with your hands.
>>
>>31979260
There's no point in strapping your cover down or even having one on when your enemies run in fear of DAKKA DAKKA and BRRRRRRT. By the time foot soldiers get there pretty much everyone is bending over backwards while selling out their buddies or busy being shot 400 times per person and left for the feral dogs to eat.
>>
>>31979420
Yes, it definitely is.
Just don't expect a full time front line movie.
Just 2 - 3 out of 5 people do fighting.
If you check around the internet you'll find bad rates though.
This is because some Polish and some Jews got upset because the Polish Rebels were shown as being antisemitic and the movies not being about the holocaust.
Historians backed them with the antisemitic Polish rebels stuff and the movies is just not about the holocaust.
But yes, watch it.
>>
>>31983150
I call bullshit on this neck breaking nonsense. If it were that easy, every minor car accident would have all occupants dead from broken necks.
>>
>>31979458
is this better? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGFJYJHxYxc
>>
File: 4u.png (38KB, 647x444px) Image search: [Google]
4u.png
38KB, 647x444px
>20
>big guy (6'7" 300lbs)
>trying to get through college for the past 2 years but I just can't get into it
>keep feeling like I should join the military and do something worthwhile
should I go to a recruiter and ask what to do or is that a bad idea
>>
>>31979474
French helmet still has that. The strap is 2 pieces though so you can't do tlike the old steel pots.
>>
>>31979260:
Because they can!
>>
>>31985017
The fuck you talkin about? I snap rabbits necks whenever I am at my grandmothers house. Her garden is full of them fucks eating her plants. Shoot them with a 22 and if the arnt dead you pick them up by the back legs and judo chop their neck.

Jeez dude, go outside or something.
>>
>>31985017
yes you can, you just flick their whole body holding their head lol
>>
>>31985634
Are you muscle-y big with decent cardio? Or are you just a big motherfucker?
>>
>>31985722
>Or are you just a big motherfucker?
>>
>>31985725
spend a year or so getting in shape then go for it
>>
>>31985725

>>31985732
Has the right idea. Start jogging, boy. Military doesn't need more blobs in chairs.
>>
>>31984922
Can hang the helmet off your dick.
>>
>>31979260
It looks cool.
>>
>>31985565
The fuck is wrong with the lipsynch? That shit looks like it was done in post by an amateur.

Why is the narrator fucking whispering?

Other than that, looks like pure, unadulterated Krautkino
>>
>>31985017
I've accidentally torn a head off without much effort. Some people have forearms you limp wristed noodle man
>>
File: 1444703865558.jpg (30KB, 360x479px) Image search: [Google]
1444703865558.jpg
30KB, 360x479px
>>31985634
I just now realized I posted in the wrong thread
>>
>>31985017
t. weak skinny manlet
>>
>>31985017
no, (You) can't snap a rabbits neck. I'm sorry about your condition anon. And you can snap a humans neck as well, just not in fucking Steven Seagal style.
>>
>>31979260
My dad's a vet, from what me tells me it's because they thought that if an explosive went off near you, there was a chance that the helmet would act like a parachute and snap your neck.

Not sure if that's an actual thing that can happen but the concern over it happening was apparently a reason for not fastening it, people were afraid that if a mine went off near them and the shrapnel didn't kill them that their helmets would.
>>
>>31985017
There are ways when you use both arms and your back. However, shits dumb and you are better off choking someone until they pass out and then stabbing them to death.
>>
>>31986382
Nope, that's absurd.
>>
For modern day Soldiers and Marines, they don't clip they chinstrap because it gives you a headache.
>>
>>31986382
>>31986742
It wouldn't have happened, but troops did believe that it could.
>>
>>31985634
can you duck walk? I ask because when I went through MEPS, there was some motherfucker like you, way over 6 ft, was so heavy the scale they had couldn't weigh him. no joke, they had to take him over to the female side because the scale over there went to 300lbs. Anyway, when they asked us to duck walk around the exam room, he couldn't. He played football and wrestled but he couldn't duck walk. They ended his physical right there and called his recruiter to come get him.
>>
>>31987112
>female side goes up to 300lb

I mean I know they have low standards, but Jesus fuck...
>>
I heard somewhere that Marines wouldnt fasten their straps because they thought if you were mobilizing through a desert the helmet would fill with sand and snap your neck
>>
>>31987112
describe this duck walk to me
how does one duck walk
>>
>>31979260
If you've ever worn an M1 helmet for an extended period (Way back when I'd airsoft in one), you'll also unfasten it. It's actually more comfortable to let it be loose than that damn buckle is.

I've heard so many rumors of it being about snapping necks or whatever, but my time with them basically is just that it's more comfy that way.
>>
>>31979260
During the war there was a genera; belief that if you strapped your helmet and your helmet got blown by an explosion (artillery or whatever) your head would go with it or it would break your neck.
>>
>>31988326
seems you're too fucking stupid to use google. should fit right in then.
>>
Tangentially related, but there's two types of injuries relating to helmets (that I'm aware of). There's the direct blow type, and there's rotational injuries, where your head gets shaken like a milkshake.

Bicycle helmets specifically are designed to protect against the direct blow when you fall over and hit your head, but there's a bit of controversy about mandatory helmet laws because of the rotational injuries, because it actually makes things worse when you wear a helmet.

This unbuckling thing and the head snapping theory might be related. Your neck probably wouldn't get snapped because of wearing one, but it's probably easier to say that than explain head physics.
>>
>>31989391
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e5lPjg0GhFM
you mean this?
>>
>>31989368
My grandfather who served in the Argonne told me the same thing. He CO undid his strap because when artillery hit the helmet would tear his head off,
>>
>>31985017

maybe if youre a little bitch

ive snapped a deers neck after i found her still breathing after getting shot
Thread posts: 73
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.