[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm studying manufacturing engineering and have had work

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 24
Thread images: 6

File: maxresdefault (1).jpg (61KB, 1280x720px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault (1).jpg
61KB, 1280x720px
I'm studying manufacturing engineering and have had work experience in prototyping (mostly casting and mold making for toys and figures).
I've looked at some of the 3D printed lowers that warfairy has come up with and now i'm keen to either print, mold and cast a few of his or design one myself.

tl;dr: post/discuss concept guns you'd like to see prototypes of.
>>
>>31978870
bumping for interest.
>>
>>31978870

From a mechanical engineer: 3D printing sucks for anything that has any type of force on it. Don't count on anything having any type of structural integrity.
>>
>>31978870
That looks neato! Hows it shoot?
>>
>>31978940
the printing is just for prototyping. I'm interested in making a mold of the 3D printed prototype, and then casting it in something more durable, like the stuff poly lowers are made from.
>>
File: BMBIDb6CQAAtL9z.jpg (12KB, 600x450px) Image search: [Google]
BMBIDb6CQAAtL9z.jpg
12KB, 600x450px
>>31978944
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElgTP3c-XcQ
This fellow printed it in 30 hours and remotely test fired it in the video.
>>
>>31978870
3d printing is as of yet, a meme.

Its useful for prototyping, its not a useful and reliable MANUFACTURING method yet.

Literally every other way of manufacturing is better, it just holds an edge for protyping because its cheap and a prototype needs to neither last long or be fully functional. (2 qualities which nobody has gotten anything 3d printed to do quite well yet)
Maybe once the tech advances a bit, but for the foreseeable future the idea that you can just buy a 3d printer and launch straight into becoming a 1 man designer-manufacturer-marketer-shipper is a joke.

Just look at all the retarded shit on kickstarter and indiegogo using 3d printed bullshit. All the 3d printing hype boils down to:

"Hey give us money so we can make a more shitty version of stuff that already exists."
>>
>>31978995

Not a bad idea. Make a mold then pour with another material. In that case you would need the negative of the mold but that's pretty easy with today's technology.

You may not be able to use the 3D print to do the actual casting with though unless you plan on losing the mold every time like lost wax.
>>
>>31978940
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hSqQ-14NqEo
Here's a company that sell kits that let customers cast their own ar 15 lowers
>>
>requires a very expensive upper
>is made out of shit tier plastic
>made on an expensive machine
>dogshit ergonomics
>not even half as good as pretty much any lower you can get for less than the cost of the filament to make this stupid edgelord thing

saged, hidden, reported, called the ISO
>>
>>31979181
the thread was made to hopefully get input on the kinds things anons would like to see on a rifle stock that I could potentially make a prototype of. As I told the other anon, the 3D printing is only to prototype something I will then mold and cast in a stronger material
>>
>>31979475
there is pretty much nothing you could make in a stock that wouldn't be better provided by Magpul or some actual company with an actual production line instead of a single 3d printer

the important things to stocks would be materials used and having things like adjustment points and proper ergonomics -- things that do not benefit from "rapid prototyping" and are already offered by high end stocks with a gorillion adjustment points and foam padding and raised cheek welds and shit
>>
I'd like to see an attempt at a featureless AR rifle stock that looks like a traditional rifle stock, not something flimsy and unergonomic that was thrown together to get around scurry black rifle laws.

It'd probably have to have a thumbhole to neatly surround the buffer tube, but that's a concession to be made.
>>
>>31980075
Make it takedown and you have a customer.
>>
>>31978870

What about furniture for another rifle with little aftermarket? There's so much stuff for ARs already that there really isn't any need for more, plus it's boring even for a personal project.

You're also not just limited to making molds for synthetic stocks. The 3d printed prototype can also be used in a stock duplicator for making wood stocks, too.
>>
>>31980075
Look up ares scr.
Also would that bullpup ar15 be legal in Canada ?
> no putting a receiver into aftermarket bulpupstocks
But
> bullpups are legal
>>
>>31979032
Use the 3D printer to make your pattern, cast the part using basic old sandcasting and aluminium (Which almost any idiot can do at home.)

Machine, drill and finish as needed.
>>
>>31978870
I've been gone a while, what ever happened to WF, he still around?
>>
>>31982222
Haven't seen or heard from him for quite awhile.
>>
File: M1903_MkI_SPAR1324_IV.jpg (9KB, 602x400px) Image search: [Google]
M1903_MkI_SPAR1324_IV.jpg
9KB, 602x400px
>>31978870
>post guns you want prototypes of

Nigga, they already MADE it, I just want the fucking GUN.
>>
File: unnamed-2.jpg (19KB, 776x263px) Image search: [Google]
unnamed-2.jpg
19KB, 776x263px
>>31981516

An AR can't be a bullpup because of the need for a buffer tube. The SCR gets away with it because its bolt carrier has a hinging tang that angles down the grip, but that still prevents it from ever getting bullpup'd.
>>
>>31982222
Nope, he dropped off the face of the earth after the release of the Ishikawa fosscad pack.
I think he still posts on reddit from time to time, but everything relating to 3d printed defense seems dead in the water as of late. I suppose it probably still will be dead for the time being, the whole point of FOSSCAD was to fuck with anti-gun retards and make cool shit with new technology. Anti-gun retards aren't that big of a problem and consumer 3d printers are no longer new or novel.
>>31979181
You can use buffer tubes in the latest version
I guess, but the newer materials are a little better
>not being able to afford $500 in equipment
>>
File: 1288259185.jpg (10KB, 650x131px) Image search: [Google]
1288259185.jpg
10KB, 650x131px
>>31978870
Fudd rifles with new and interesting concepts.
>>
>>31979181
Did you even read the thread you fuckin tardo? He's going cast them in a different material later.

>requires a very expensive upper
No, you can use regular 5.56 uppers.
>is made out of shit tier plastic
You can print in nylon, and he's going to cast later.
>made on an expensive machine
It's for prototyping, he probably already has one or has access to one, and he's going to cast later.
>dogshit ergonomics
wut? There are a dozen designs, pick one with good ergos
>not even half as good as pretty much any lower you can get for less than the cost of the filament
Prototyping, casting

Try reading you fuckass
Thread posts: 24
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.