[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

If you owned a gun building company, what would you build? What

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 137
Thread images: 19

File: evolution-3d-printed-firearms-2.jpg (68KB, 600x337px) Image search: [Google]
evolution-3d-printed-firearms-2.jpg
68KB, 600x337px
If you owned a gun building company, what would you build?

What untapped ideas are still out there? What is considered too hard? Whats is considered not worth it? What is considered too boring? What do you hate about the gun market? Your LGS? The community?

I'm sick of this nihil sub sole novum bullshit
>>
everything russian and ww2
>>
300blk or 458socom VSS vintorez
>>
>>31978485
Love that idea.

Whatever happened to those guys making a two stamp vss in 7.62?
>>
>>31978445
You create a line of standard short and longarms that are cheap and affordable, that earn the company a steady source of income. Provide tiers of popular models that offer different options like double stack mags, glock mag compatibility, varying calibers, etc.

Use the profit to assist the funding of r&d for making long out of production collectible weapons, determining what to sell based on polls.
>>
File: gore.jpg (6KB, 191x264px) Image search: [Google]
gore.jpg
6KB, 191x264px
>>31978517
>untapped ideas
>lists every gun maker ever business plan
>>
File: jmb.jpg (10KB, 250x285px) Image search: [Google]
jmb.jpg
10KB, 250x285px
I'd be interested in buying up the patents and blueprints for every firearm that Winchester bought from John Moses Browning -- to keep them off the market. There are dozens of them. DOZENS.

Think about that.
>>
>>31978560
>to keep them off the market
fuck you
>>
File: 1213654887123.jpg (87KB, 1000x586px) Image search: [Google]
1213654887123.jpg
87KB, 1000x586px
Too hard: repeating light gas gun

Too hard: self aiming gun that distinguishes targets with thermal imaging, ranges them with a laser, uses sensors to tell where it's going, and actuates the barrel a few degrees to make the shot.

Too hard: 50bmg cartridge that gets ranging information from a laser. A microchip in each round senses the number of rotations when fired, at an appropriate range the round opens up and releases a shot cloud.

Not worth it: Bullpup guns with ultra long barrels in weak cartridges to keep noise down without the hassle of getting a suppressor.

Not worth it: Civilian recoiless guns. A light weight hunting .50 cal that counters recoil by rearward exiting gas.

Too boring: A folding stock break-action chambered in 7.62x39, sold as a survival rifle capable of medium game using dirt cheap and world-wide available ammo.
>>
>>31978445
My own gun company?
Gun designed for a cartridge similar in size to 50bmg but plastic cased, only run at 7000psi, and firing a round from a 50 cal to 30 cal sabot. I expect similar performance to .308, but with really cheap injection-mold cartridges. Given that all rounds are sabots, the barrel could be extruded aluminum with a polygonal bore for extreme economy, low weight, and heat dissipation.
>>
>>31978572

no, Winchester bought the patents to keep them off the market, not some hick in Shasta.
>>
>>31978445
I would make caseless ammo, a rifle and pistol that could fire them.
>>
>>31978551
I dunno.. May be that's why they're so successful huh?..

Makes your noodle heat up don't it?
>>
File: 1155420320376.jpg (87KB, 1000x518px) Image search: [Google]
1155420320376.jpg
87KB, 1000x518px
>>31978445
Make a compact carbine for .45 super, but capable of cycling with .45ACP.

Make a grip-loading carbine in .30 carbine with a folding stock.

Put more things in P90 style magazines.

Offer bi-directional trigger weapons with balanced automatics.

Make light hunting rifles and shotguns that incorporate shock absorbers to make comfortable to fire.

Since the ATF defines bore size by the plug they can put down the barrel, make a rifle with really deep rifling grooves. A 50cal gauge plug wouldn't go in, but the outside of the bullet might be 70+ cal. The rounds would have pre-cut grooves in them.
>>
File: 1162690582125.jpg (14KB, 500x200px) Image search: [Google]
1162690582125.jpg
14KB, 500x200px
>>31978445
I'd like to see hybrid conventional-gyrojet rounds. The round would get enough of a boost from the propelling charge to be lethal at point blank range, but would get most of it's energy down range.

This gets you low recoil, low blast, low wear on the mechanism, conventional spin stabilization, and really high down-range velocities the likes of which would cause excessive barrel wear in conventional guns.
>>
I thought of getting into tacticool attachments like fancy sights and and being a TACTICAL SEAMSTER and sewing up tacvests and making modifications to coats and such for use in airsoft (or by mallninjas in general) but didn't even bother trying because of how brand-driven that sort of thing is.

There is NO place for cottage industry or hand-made/tailored goods in gun culture or gun-related/gun-play culture. only poorfags don't go big and get Trijicon sights and Magpul brand lengths of cotton strapping, and the chinks have me beat on sheer cheapness
>>
>>31978918
>only poorfags don't go big and get Trijicon sights and Magpul brand lengths of cotton strapping, and the chinks have me beat on sheer cheapness

That's tough bro. Maybe this Trump stuff with Chyna will give you another opportunity.

You can sew? Other than craptical vests what else would you consider?
>>
>>31978951
>You can sew?
I know how to sew by hand. Whole garments would take too long and be too hard to have machine-tier even stitching, but I can do alterations, accessories, repairs, etc. just fine. attaching a bunch of pockets and loops to a piece of cotton webbing wouldn't be hard at all.

>Other than craptical vests what else would you consider?
I dunno. Probably mostly stuff like fancier irons, low-power magnifiers (optics are cheap), lace-up fabric/leather cheek welds, maybe fancy wood foregrips or stocks if I could get better tools in my house than sharp knives and sandpaper. Maybe doing decorative cordage/ribbon wraps for people

A buddy of mine actually wants me to help him "wasteland"-up a BB gun to give as a christmas present to a fallout fan, maybe I'll get some practice on that, but I'm not sure what additions I could even make beyond sanding the finish off and soaking it all in piss

>Maybe this Trump stuff with Chyna
>being american
>20XX
I seriously hope you guys don't do this
>>
>>31978720
Patents are made public and expire within 20 years.
>>
>>31979514
can't you renew patents though
>>
Living in Cucknada i would build a few things that wouldn't make sense to an American but would work wonders in the market here since most good guns are prohibited by name (AK, FAL, G3, ect) or restricted (range only, registered, fucking gay)

>AR-180B clone with nodak-style aluminum receiver, around $700-800
>Franken-AR based on the AR-180B clone mentionned above that can take a AR upper and 80% parts commonality, around $1200
>VHS-D rifle clone, ~$750
>VHS-D2 clone or licensed copy, $1000-1200
>Licensed VZ58 copy, $800-1000, since CZ is stopping production and it's real popular here as an AK replacement
>Dirtcheap volksgewehr-like rifle in x39 that uses AK mags and dosen't cost more than $400. Literally the cheapest possible.
>SKS-D derivative that comes with a pistol grip and folding stock by default, costing under $500

I would fucking own the nonrestricted black rifle market of Canada

Now for the really useless but awesome shit
>Real 0.75cal rocket projectile WH40K Bolter
>Civilian equivalent to the Carl Gustav RR (full caliber, no destructive device law here)
>20-30mm smoothbore antimateriel rifle that fires a hyperfast fin-stabilized discarding sabot

>>31978621
>Too hard: self aiming gun that distinguishes targets with thermal imaging, ranges them with a laser, uses sensors to tell where it's going, and actuates the barrel a few degrees to make the shot.
That's actually a fucking sweet idea and i would definitely try to make the M56 Smartgun.
>>
File: trw_lmr2.jpg (13KB, 650x180px) Image search: [Google]
trw_lmr2.jpg
13KB, 650x180px
>>31979852
Forgot two:
>TRW LMR clone because fug it why not, price 500-600$
>absolutely useless gun with a boutique custom wildcat cartridge that no one will ever buy and has absolutely no point in existing other than having a STANAG-compatible magazine that can hold the useless snowflake rounds or close to 30 5.56mm rounds.
>Fuck you RCMP
>>
>>31979526
Nope. Not after it expires.

It's gotta be a new invention.
>>
>>31979928
>Not after it expires.
what if it never expired because you renewed it
>>
>>31978445
guns
>>
>>31978445
I'd spend $100k each on lobbying my Congressman and both Senators to push for getting SBRs and AOWs off the stamp-required list now that we've got Trump and a Republican Congress and start building a bunch of spacegun designs with 10-15" barrels.
>>
I would only build high caliber rifles just for the shits and giggles.

Probably try to see what is the biggest round that we could get to be fired from a gun. Shit like a break action rifle chambered for 30mm.

>Think Anzio Ironworks.
>>
>>31978445
I would produce cheap brass target ammo, making little profit. I would advertise the hell out of getting kids at the range. That way in 20 years their kids are shooting my ammo.

I would hire people that understand the dream and understand none of us are getting rich of the customers. I would expand into a couple good accessories that would give us profit.
>>
i would fund the destruction of the united states of america because its gun laws are retarded (much like the rest of it)
>>
File: 1455299427078.jpg (32KB, 439x290px) Image search: [Google]
1455299427078.jpg
32KB, 439x290px
>>31980197
So you'd build guns to sell to the populous, then use the money to destroy said populous?

Interesting plan
>>
>>31978445
Decent aks or i would produce outdated cartridges. Fucking 6.5 jap for $2.00 a round is hard to loose money on
>>
>>31978445
I'd invest a reasonable amount of R&D into caseless cartridges. I'd try to overcome some of the problems that past iterations have failed to solve.
>>
I wanna build a cheaper G41 that shoots 4mm spoontips, among other things.
>>
>>31978445
Cuck state blowback carbines, I guess. Everything is pretty much already taken.

>>31978918
>ignores most custom leather and kydex holster makers who do decent business
>ignores the small time plate and harness makers
>ignores the stock and grip makers
>not american
>airsoft

You can stop embarrassing yourself any time, m8
>>
>>31978445
Conversion cylinder for GP100 or some other a popular revolver to allow it to fire any .38~ caliber rimless or otherwise

The main problem is that the Medusa seems to have had to use specialized steel because the rim mechanism required a relevantly large amount of material hogged out from the center.

That and a Bannerman folding shotgun knockoff or maybe a revolving shotgun designed for AOW or SBRing.
>>
>>31980243
Outdated cartridges are rarely shot, there's a reason they aren't sold very often

[spoiler]prvi partizan already has that market cornered as well[/spoiler]
>>
>>31980372
>kydex
case in point, you only care about Kydexâ„¢ leather work and will disregard anything else

there are no "small time" manufacturers in the gun community, it's not a thing

enjoy buying yet another 999$ 5.11 Tactical™ Man-Kilt®
>>
>>31978445
Modern reproductions of early semi-auto weapons in commonly available calibers like .223.

Imagine a Federov Avtomat in .223.
>>
>>31978517

So Ruger, but with out the better products later on?
>>
aftermarket parts for things that already exist and are very popular
>>
>>31980700
Theyre rarely used because theyre so expensive. There are just as many milsurp rifles as there have ever been, people just dont use them cause a box of bullets cost $20+
>>
>>31980721
M8, it isn't the 1980s where the only way to get exposure or sell product is by taking out ads in Soldier of Fortune. As long as you don't live in a chink sounding country and your product is worth the extra money because you spend more on materials and time.

Though it is kind of off topic given the prompt was a gun building company and half this thread is about anything but actually building guns.
>>
A rimfire .223 alternative that would circumvent the gay gun laws many countries have.
In many countries semi-auto center-fires are a no-no, but rimfire .22s are a-okay.

Also rimless shotgun shells and a shotgun for them.

And a modern Lemat chambered in .357/28ga.
>>
>>31980925
>M8, it isn't the 1980s where the only way to get exposure or sell product is by taking out ads in Soldier of Fortune.
that would be better, if anything. these days, it doesn't matter what your product is or its quality -- what matters is whether it has a 5.11 badge on it somewhere, or that it's made by Surefire or Trijicon.

Even lubricants and other consumables are driven by meme brands. You'll never see anything outside of a couple brands, and never EVER anyone who uses something like graphite powder or other sorts of oil than >Muh milspec CLP, even on things that don't need it (like air rifles)
>>
>>31981469
I don't know how it works in your country but plenty of people use motor oil and don't fall for brand memes, you can argue that it isn't the majority and I agree but it sounds like you're bitter and don't want to actually try.
>>
File: 1416901574109.jpg (198KB, 918x651px)
1416901574109.jpg
198KB, 918x651px
>>31978445
Retro AR-10s
Mini M1 Garands in 5.56
XM-29 Repos but instead of a 20mm its a 10 Gauge autoloader
MP-412 Rex repos
Beretta 92s in 45 ACP and 10mm
and pic related

side note I really want a Raging Judge
>>
>>31981500
>plenty of people use motor oil and don't fall for brand memes,
literally incorrect, if you aren't Magpul or Condor, you ain't sellin' shit, because it's not about utility or craftsmanship or even price to gun nerds, it's status symbols
>>
>>31978445
Modern reproductions of the SAFN chambered in 30-06, 762 Neato and 556 for the embattled patriots stranded behind enemy lines in NY and other communist states.
>>
>>31978445
>If you owned a gun building company, what would you build?

all stainless steel AKs in 762, 545 and 556 - gun for people who really need a gun.
>>
>>31978445
Revisit the Stoner 63 with modern materials tech.
How many guns have been closed bolt in one mode and open bolt in another?
>>
>>31978445
Select fire Brown Bess.
>>
>>31978507
Slagga Manufacturing, they're working on their prototype as we speak.
>>
>>31978621
>A light weight hunting .50 cal that counters recoil by rearward exiting gas.
those already exist, except instead of working like a rawkit lawnchair they just mount huge muzzle brakes
>>
>>31981469
You realize that 5.11 started out as a spinoff brand from Royal Robbins Clothing and that Royal Robbins Clothing started as a mom and pop outdoor apparel company fifty years ago, right? Trijicon started as a small import company in the 80s. SureFire is the only example you gave that fits and even then they had to build the brand considering the company was originally a supplier for the industrial market.
>>
>>31981698
>fifty years ago,
you do realize that consumer culture and how businesses come and go has changed since 50 years back, right

do you even know what year it is right now
>>
>>31978621
>Too hard: self aiming gun that distinguishes targets with thermal imaging, ranges them with a laser, uses sensors to tell where it's going, and actuates the barrel a few degrees to make the shot.

Trackpoint does this i think.
>>
>>31980005
You can't renew them more than once.
>>
>>31981717
Branding and connectivity is easier than ever, basic marketing and human psychology has not changed. People have gotten lazier and less motivated though.
>>
>>31981772
>Branding and connectivity is easier than ever,
No it's not, because no one --NO ONE-- will buy anything that isn't branded as per what they already like.

20, 30, 50 years ago, people were willing to buy whatever was in their price range and seemed okay to them. Not anymore. Now, it HAS to be branded with a brand they already know and love, or they simply won't trust it at all. Either you hawk 5.11 pants and Trijicon sights to go with their ARs, or you'll make fucking nothing.
>>
>>31980756
That would be pretty sweet..
>>
>>31981621
The FG-42 did that actually, probably one of the earliest examples.

If I had an infinite pile of money I would find a way to get access to German A. Korobovs designs and make semi-auto versions of his magical space blasters for the US market.
>>
.338 LM SBR
>>
>>31981717
I'm sorry, are you trying to argue that consumers, particularly firearm consumers, haven't been brand whores since the rise industrial scale gunmaking? Fuck, it's easier now to build a brand than it has ever been. With the internet and modern marketing tools you can have a garage business that sells nationwide. Fucking Etsy pulls in over 2 billion in gross sales. What, did you overpay for a Trijicon sight and a pair of 5.11 pants at a gun show after Sandy Hook and have been blaming everyone else ever since?
>>
Semi auto belt feed gun.
>>
>>31982067
>What, did you overpay for a Trijicon sight and a pair of 5.11 pants at a gun show after Sandy Hook and have been blaming everyone else ever since?
I'm not a brandwhore so I don't buy trash just because it has "5.11" stitched into it somewhere by some chink, no.

The fact is that everyone else does, though. Not even just with gun stuff. It's with everything. If it's not from [INSERT POP BRAND HERE], it's automagically trash to 99% of the population. Entrepreneurship is pointless in the modern era. From gun sights to dragon dildos, if you're not Magpul or Varka, you're SOL.
>>
Old style guns in new chamberings.
Bolt guns/break actions/lever actions in
>7.62x39
>5.7
>10mm/.40 s&w
>.357 Sig
>5.45x39
>.38/40/45 super
>50 AE
>.500 s&w
>50 Beowulf
>450 bushmaster
>.458 socom
>.300 blackout

Also also a mp7 clone in .17 wsm
>Essentially rimfire 4.6x30
>>
>>31982121
Bad Dragon was started in a dorm room less than a decade ago.
>>
>>31982148
It is also literally the only place anyone will go for their dragon dildos, despite multiple other stores existing. Because it was started with tons of capital, and was aggressively shilled by them buying out places like e621 and FA so they would only serve BD ads and nothing else.

It's just another meme brand. It might be more recent, but it's the same dynamic, and it only enjoys its status because it started off with a LOT of money and a bunch of other high tier meme brand people in their pocket (like the guy who does the art for their pages, and that camwhore Kidsune, among other people)
>>
>>31981547
>Mini garands in .223
>Any Beretta in 10mm
My body is ready
>>
>>31981808
You're retarded bro, Magpul isn't even 20 years old and has only really been known for 10 outside of a loop on a mag floorplate, there's a new meme CC holster maker every 6 months and small leather shops have been around forever. There's a type of branding that is successful yes, but there is plenty of room in the market for a niche product and a solid template for how to develop a brand.

If you're just looking for reasons why you would fail, you could start with never trying.
>>
>>31982253
>but there is plenty of room in the market for a niche product
"no"

There will never be a place for cottage industry in this market. I've checked.
>>
>>31978445
I would be in the WW2 reproduction business...

But, besides functional builds that are true to the originals.... I would give the buyer options in other calibers.... Garands in the original .270..... M1A1 Thompsons in 10mm..... Webley MkIV in 45ACP or 10mm.. Stens in .357 Glock.....

Yes?
>>
>>31982283
Checking isn't shitposting on /k/ you autistic fuck.

I own leather or kydex holsters from 3 different 1 man shops and 4 small\ family businesses. That's just shit I've bought, I've seen many others selling similar shit or other accessories at gunshops or online that are getting by.

I don't think you can succeed in any real sense, because of personal failings, but it's entirely possible for people with actual skills and ambition.
>>
>>31978572
You're an idiot.......Say it with us now....

Idiot.

Anon means patents bought by Winchester to keep off the market.........
>>
>>31982355
>but it's entirely possible for people with actual skills and ambition.
Nope. Capital begets more capital. The reason "new" brands get big is because they started with heaps of money and connections to muscle their way in. An average person doing the kinds of manufacturing that average people can do by themselves will never succeed in that market. Ever.
>>
>>31979928
Disney........ Mickey Mouse.... Never expiring patents............

Option for multibillion dollar corporations.
>>
>>31982380
stay NEET, it's those damn bankers and corporations, it's not your fault.

We live in an age where there are literally no costs associated with more effective advertising than anyone could dream of 50 years ago. There are thousands of people making custom holsters and equipment for either side money or as a decent living.

The problem would seem to be a mix of you not understanding that a cottage industry isn't meant to compete directly with large companies and having nothing to offer.
>>
>>31982455
>There are thousands of people making custom holsters and equipment for either side money or as a decent living.
like literally who

no such people exist
>>
>>31982412
https://www.uspto.gov/trademarks-getting-started/trademark-basics/trademark-patent-or-copyright

Trademarks are not patents. Copyrights are not patents. Patents expire so that development of actual technologies can be developed after the market has decided on the superior product while allowing the inventor sufficient time to monetize their discovery.

Copyrights last for the life of an author (+ some time and can be extended further with depending on further development\ defense) because they are intended for literary or artistic works which if plagiarized would not be monetizable.

Trademarks are basically indefinite as long as they are used as they are purely for advertising\ id of a company,
>>
>>31982467
Literally google custom holster and you'll find hundreds, search any gunboard, forum, or gunbroker for ads about custom anything. Go to a gunshow and you'll meet a few. I don't know what your problem is, but a shitload of people either supplement their income or work full time on this shit.
>>
>>31982467
Reading comprehension really is not you're strong suit.
>>
>>31982543
oh wow some guy selling his "custom" holster at a loss over gunbroker that's just some shit from Wal*Mart with MLP stickers plastered all over it. That's some real cottage industry right there
>>
>>31982549
I know people can be this dumb, but I don't truly understand how.
>>
>>31982572
I used to be the same way, it's a combination of low self confidence and personal achievement.
>>
>>31982588
Seems that way, the current meme holster king, Alien Gear started exactly this way and now employs a couple hundred people. Founder couldn't find a good holster in 2010, made one, started pimping them out online, now has a good business.
>>
>>31981621
Beat me to it. Modernize and simplify the 62 and 63, maybe work some ultimax details into it.

Also an ultimax based carbine/rifle for full power cartridges and a line if range ammo for "civilian" cartridges since you can already buy contract overrun and surplus of govt ammo already. Basically somewhere between Federal American Eagle and Prvi for bulk .380,.32auto,.327 federal,.38 super, .30-30, .30 carbine, 20g, 6x45,25-45 and whatever else is viable.

Then I can throw money a roller delayed shotguns and M1Carbines in several other calibers that accept available mags like Five-seveN, Desert Eagle, Colt, Ruger 77/357/44 rotaries, pps43 mags etc.

I wouldn't last 5 years but that isn't the point
>>
>>31981621
>there could have been a service rifle made by Cadillac
Rap would have taken off decades before
>>
>>31981621
Most of the IAR prototypes did it, a lot of similar stuff, but obviously nothing in the civilian market.
>>
Well, my buddy had a plan to import tons of Norinco wood-furnitured M14s to canada, and then ship them across the border because he sees the US as bereft of non-original M14s, but I'm pretty sure that's illegal and an M14 seems like it'd be something a ton of companies would produce because it's so iconic
>>
A super cheap stamped steel .223 carbine that takes ar mags. Would do my best to get it down to $300 msrp.
>>
>>31982201
There is ONE guy on Berettaforums that built a 10mm 92fs very carefully years ago. To this day it still functions fine with regular use and he actually talked with Beretta about it but the turned the idea down. It took him a lot of work be he said from a manufacturing standpoint it would be super easy since it's only a few tweaks to the dimensions
>>
>>31982380
Tell that to every fucker charging 300 bucks for a "custom" knife that looks like shit on purpose, or 3/5 companies that mill slide and stiple frames, or every goddamn fitness model you've ever seen.

All you have to do now is make a product and send it to a few guys in YouTube for free. If your product isn't garbage that's extraordinarily cheap advertising going to a massive audience

>>31982467
Ya know what never mind, nobody is this fucking dense
>>
>>31982935
I imagine the lack of 10mm pistols is more about 10mm being a less common round than about any kind of pressure issues or w/e

I know there's the famous picture of the 10mm MP5 that blew up but that thing was destined to fail anyway, it probably is genuinely just the real money-making markets (cops and security people) adopting 9mm
>>
>>31978445
A cut-down .30 carbine round. Keep the 110gr bullet with it's stellar sectional density, but push it to 900-1000 fps out of a full size pistol, and cut the brass down to match. I think the light, small-caliber bullet would give great penetration, low recoil, and very high capacity, while still being slow enough to avoid a sonic boom, and prohibitive muzzle blast.
>>
>>31982935
Is it this guy? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UCfgW_c40aQ

>his recent vids
I'm 99% sure he browses here.
>>
>>31982935
He apparently thermocycled it to increase toughness which I'm not sure what he means by that. The man cannot make and stick with a point for shit.
>>
>>31978445
Repros of historical guns with production lines to produce more cost effective models to bring down costs on more complex ones.
>>
>>31981547
Retro AR10 would be amazing.

While we're on it, I would love to see a proper K98 and G43 replica.
>>
I have a bunch of ideas that I'd need prototyped and tested to see if. A whole lot, too much to write out. Here's a couple that I like

-tubegun AR upper. Super cheap to build, attaches to standard lower. Market it towards cheap 80% builders. Sell kits in the mail.
-a tiny .22 revolver that you can actually GRIP the damn thing. These things are too tiny, they suck to hold. Pic related. Of course have a shield or gas seal around the cylinder gap.
-an air rifle "machine gun". It's not legally a firearm in the US. Basically the Caselman gas machine gun
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HUKxO03HlOM

>What do you hate about the gun market?
Very few companies actually try new things. Its been ARs and Glock clones for years. I like that the AR has been optimized to all hell but c'mon, every company sells their own brand of the same stuff. Kel Tec is making the most creative stuff today.
>>
File: KElTecRFB.jpg (40KB, 800x601px) Image search: [Google]
KElTecRFB.jpg
40KB, 800x601px
>>31985470
>tubegun
I'm not aware of this term
>>
File: 1473872444576.jpg (22KB, 717x340px)
1473872444576.jpg
22KB, 717x340px
>>31978445
Start a custom shop attempting to cater to the desires of autistic manchildren online. With a dragon dildo subsidiary. Built from scratch or modified from existing designs.
Pic related.
>>
>>31978445
I would probably try and make single shot 12 gauges for around $90 msrp. And a line of blued revolvers in .38,
>>
File: Medusa Model 47.jpg (21KB, 470x198px) Image search: [Google]
Medusa Model 47.jpg
21KB, 470x198px
>>31980665
Yes, Medusa multicaliber revolver would sell.
>>
>>31985470
>tubegun AR upper
You mean bolt action upper for AR lower?
>>
>>31986141
>ptrssbr

I never knew I could want something so dumb so badly
>>
>>31984514
>thermocycled it to increase toughness

It's a real process to increase toughness by decreasing the average grain size in steels, but requires very very very precisely controlled ovens.

One of the most important factors when thermal cycling is that the steel is heated to just above critical temp and no more. Otherwise the grain starts to grow again.

There are alloying tricks to increase the margin from 50 degree process window, like microalloying the steel with trace amounts of titanium and niobium, but you still have to be very careful.

But it can be done. Some alloys are more favourable for thermal cycling.
>>
>>31978445
Browning HP... In motherfucking stainless steel.
>>
Tool and die to make AR magazines
>>
File: pix1744222341.jpg (84KB, 640x478px) Image search: [Google]
pix1744222341.jpg
84KB, 640x478px
>>31985569
>>31986403
I mean a Sten-like 9mm blowback. Most 9mm ARs use regular AR uppers, which is fine but not as cheap as it could be.
>>
File: STEM-162-660x383.jpg (49KB, 660x383px) Image search: [Google]
STEM-162-660x383.jpg
49KB, 660x383px
>>31990785
>>
Make a cheap lever action in modern handgun cartridges
>>
>>31978445
More .308 guns that take the cheap g-3 magazines. AR-10's with G-3 mags. FAL's with G-3 mags. Bolt guns with G3 mags. etc...
>>
>>31978445
I'd make the most idiotic designs ever. On purpose. I'd make something so hilariously stupid and impractical people would buy them just for the laughs of having and shooting such contraptions.

>What untapped ideas are still out there?
As I said, the idea is that there are more than enough guns that are built like you'd have to go to war with them, that are made to be such a best design you'd bet your life on it, that you'd defend your house and your country with them, but let's face it: you're more likely to use them on a shooting range than in any of these situations. So why not making something unique, designed with the idea that it's going to be used on a range, and it has to be fun.

>What is considered too hard?
Convincing people that even if it's not serious business, they're worth the money. Basically the marketing.

>Whats is considered not worth it?
Anything too close to already existing designs.
>>
>>31980721
>>31979435
>>31978918
Holy shit, you are a moron, and most likely a minor as well. Literally dozens of major companies got their start with one product, like a gun sling or a belt. The pathetic level of ignorance you display disappoints our glorious nation's founders.

TLDR: dumb child get out
>>
>>31978445
Martini Henry replicas in .577, .308, 12 gauge, etc etc. I'd probably have green mountain supply barrels and offer a replica in all but caliber, but if also make sporter versions
>>
>>31978560
Haven't those patents lapsed already?
>>
>>31978445
I'd build memes
>>
File: Blood-Angels-01-01.jpg (231KB, 1200x1449px) Image search: [Google]
Blood-Angels-01-01.jpg
231KB, 1200x1449px
>>31978888
So you're saying you want to make a bolter.. I approve.
>>
I'd like to make impractical, intricate guns with some sort of reinforced transparent panels, kinda like skeleton watches, so you can see the action work inside.

I'd also lose all my money and go bankrupt, but hey!

There's also the other problems, like I don't know the first thing about machining and metalwork, engineering, etc.
>>
Modified HK91s and HK94 style rifles with last round BHO.
>>
>>31981727
I don't think theirs actuates the barrel, I think it just fires once you've managed to get the barrel lined up just right.
>>
>>31993144
I'm pretty sure the bolters are supposed to be straight rockets.
>>
>>31978445
6.8 SPC II P90
I don't care how many dicks I have to suck to afford one, I will have it.
>>
8-12'' barreled break-action .410/460S&W pistol utilizing the same loophole as the Taurus Judge
It'd be a range toy, obviously
>>
>>31990854

Pretty much this yo.

An AR-10 that took G3 mags reliably would be AWESOME.
>>
I'd want to see a company make sci-fi blasters that shot real ammo.

Not like, crazy shit, but, something that looks straight up out of Halo or District 9 or some other future military sci-fi setting where it still has some scraps of possibility but may not be particularly practical tactically.

The whole point being to say "I have a real MA5B chambered in 7.62 x 39"
>>
File: space smuggler's gun.jpg (21KB, 400x242px) Image search: [Google]
space smuggler's gun.jpg
21KB, 400x242px
>>31994372
I got you, family
>>
>>31993560
Bolter rounds have a charge to fire them out of the barrel before the rocket ignites. They're 2 stage.
>>
>>31978445
American made Mosin Nagant clones in 300win or 338 lapua
>>
>>31978445
Electronic firing
Primerless ignition
Caseless ammunition
Use sintering processes in 3d printing of medium-stress parts
Electronically controlled feeding? (Idea may only be practical with caseless ammunition)
Make the gyrojet again, this time a working model. Really shouldn't even be hard. Fired from a typical closed barrel would solve most of its problems. Of course it would also need to engage some sort of rifling, but I think a fairly soft plastic sabot might do it.
>>
>>31978485
I've thought of that before
My vote is for .300 blk
It would be poetic considering .300 blk is basically the american equivalent of 9x39
>>
>>31994480
I forgot to mention trapdoor singleshot rifles.

I like my singleshots, but why is it everybody does break open and only Ruger touches trapdoor? Is it a patent thing? Is it because the perceived market of singleshot rifles are people that only want the cheapest thing physically possible? I don't get it.
>>
>>31994509
Ruger makes "falling block" actions, not trap doors
Just wanted to let you know
>>
Centerfire wildcat pushing 55gr .224 juat below super sonic and rifles to shoot them.

With what match 22lr costs and how cheap components are if you could get match accuracy below eley prices it should sell no problem.
>>
>>31982121
>Entrepreneurship is pointless in the modern era
Gonna stop you right there because that's not entirely true. Sure popular brands have pretty hefty monopolies, but the net makes being a little guy easier than before.

If you make good shit you just have to work at promoting it. Once sales start people will prompte it for you via word of mouth.

You're not wrong, but its not entirely as you say. You just have to have a similar or superior product and be willing to work your ass off.
>>
>>31983045
>.30 110gr@1000fps
>.30 85gr@1350fps
I see where you were going, but 7.62x25 Tokarev seems to do something similar.
>>
Vortex was formed in 2004. Shur was around 2010. I wanna say kryptek is under 10 years old too.

If youre dismayed because youndont think that its possibl to get into the market, youre the pnly thing holding back.
Thread posts: 137
Thread images: 19

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.