[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

I'm heavily considering joining the Marine reserves while

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: marinesreserve.jpg (162KB, 600x400px) Image search: [Google]
marinesreserve.jpg
162KB, 600x400px
I'm heavily considering joining the Marine reserves while through my time in college. I would just really like the opportunity to improve my health while gaining some valuable knowledge and insight and hopefully offsetting the costs of day to day living in the meantime. Can anyone offer some insight as to what the compensation is like, and how much this will impede my ability to gain a higher education?
>>
>>31977030
>larp thread
Get out.
>>
>>31977030
I was an active duty Marine.

I think more highly of the men who pick up my trash than some garbage reservist.

Who cares.
>>
>>31977055
How fitting, I think more highly of the waste collectors than muhreens myself.
>>
>>31977085
Let's you know where you are on the totem pole.
>>
>>31977055

It's really not about comparing dicks or being able to go out and wear a fucking marine core t-shirt and say semper fi to old guys who've fought in much harder wars while I smugly look beyond the other civilians in the room as though they're just as insignificant as the furniture itself.

I just want to learn to be a better shot while getting some PT in as well, I'll let you keep your douche card to yourself.
>>
>>31977118
OK. You do that tampon.

Sometime during all that learn to call the Marine Corps a corps, not core. I appreciate it.
>>
>>31977118
Feel free to ignore the motard. There's plenty of retards with excessive feelings of pride for being on amongst the average.
>>
>>31977134

My bad. I actually do know better, in the moment I used the wrong term not really thinking about it.

I'll just clarify my point real quick.

I'm not looking to join because I'm looking to steal any kind of glory, or because I want an easy way to earn the title of being a veteran. I just got other things in life I feel more obligated towards than a career in the military, and a four year tour of duty will set me back too far on those other ambitions.

I just want some insight into what the reserves are like, not a cheap entry into the Marine Corps buddy club. A little disrespect is not going to discourage me, since I'm not doing it for pats on the back or under the table handjobs.
>>
>>31977217
I'm just busting your balls. The program is there for a reason. The core thing does irk me, so thanks for correcting.
>>
File: FB_IMG_1475598743394.jpg (64KB, 806x910px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1475598743394.jpg
64KB, 806x910px
It's been awhile, but I can break it down for you a little.

Boot camp is 12 weeks, as long as you don't get dropped back for anything. Once you finish there, you'll have ten days off before you check into SOI. If you're an 0311/Rifleman it's about two months if I remember correctly. Weapons MOSes (machine gunner, mortarman, assaultman, TOW gunner) vary. LAV Crewmen do a separate thing, and Recon is a whole different story. It also depends on how long it takes your training company takes to pick up. Reservists are typically the priority, because the Marine Corps is cheap and wants you to be off active duty pay as soon as possible. So, as a reservist you probably won't wait on anything.

If you go in as a POG you go through MCT, a month long crash course on some weapons and basic tactics. Then, you'll go to a school where you learn your MOS and get qualified. This varies a lot, from Supply bubbas who finish quickly from what I recall to Intel guys who train for a very long time.

Then, you'll go back to your reserve station and check in, I think. I was active, so I can only tell you about the parts that reservists are active for.

You'll be making Pvt-PFC pay, which isn't great but it's easier than people make it seem to save money in the military. Set as much of it aside as you can, seeing as when you're training and not at school you won't have to worry about anything but a phone bill.

Boot camp can get you in shape, but a lot of people (like me) came out with a lot of muscle weight lost. So be careful. Do as much for yourself to prevent injuries at boot/SOI as you can. The Marine Corps can fuck your body up, it definitely aged mine in dog years. But my cardio was amazing when I was a boot.

Marksmanship. The corps really hypes it up, but it's easy. They don't even have iron sights at boot camp anymore, it's RCOs. The fundamentals they teach are very helpful if you had bad habits. Pt. 2:
>>
File: FB_IMG_1478631095002.jpg (146KB, 806x908px) Image search: [Google]
FB_IMG_1478631095002.jpg
146KB, 806x908px
>>31977289

Continued.

The marksmanship training/rifle qualification was simple, but how repeated everything was and the muscle memory of those basic things from breathing, to weapons maintenance stuck with me and I've handled even weapon like I did that M16 ever since.

Once you're with your unit you'll get paid for your drill periods (one weekend a month and two weeks a summer). You'll also get AD pay for your training like I said earlier. You'd have to work out the time it'd take to do all your traiming by taking some time off school, but once you're back it's easy for students.

Look into what units are by you and what jobs there are with your local recruiter, make sure what's around you is actually what YOU want to do. Never let a recruiter bully you or rip you off into making his quota to help his fit-rep. Do your research and try talking to some reservists.

I'm not the best source, but hope I helped.
>>
>>31977251

Oh yeah, of course. I'm not bullshitting when I say I do know the correct term. It's just kind of a bad habit from when I was younger and more ignorant. Frankly, it would irk me as well.

I appreciate the correction.
>>
>>31977396

Thanks for some good insight bro, take a tit-pic.
>>
>>31977396

How much is the pay, monthly?
>>
>>31977289
Don't you usually go infantry then recon?
>>
>>31977118
then why not go NG or army reserves? Oh ya, b/c you're lying on the internet. You know very well why you want to be a marine reservist and it is to do exactly what you say you are not. Just go NG and stop being a faggot.
>>
>>31977942

Maybe if I got called into active duty the Marines are the branch I'd want to serve with, or I just appreciate that they have more stringent PT standards. Maybe I wanna go reserves to see if I can make it as an active duty, and I would want to pursue a career in the marines?

Another motive I have for wanting to join the reserves is that, as silly as it may sound. If we ever went to war with North Korea it's a war I'd really want to partake in. That's most likely the next country we'll go into conflict with. So that's another part of it.
>>
>>31977030
Do it.
I'm not saying you won't regret it. You will. That's part of the experience. The worst that happens is you hate it. Just like everyone else.
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.