[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

How many of you have lost one of these to carpet? Don't

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 75
Thread images: 6

File: take_down_detent.1.jpg (18KB, 800x800px) Image search: [Google]
take_down_detent.1.jpg
18KB, 800x800px
How many of you have lost one of these to carpet? Don't lie I'll be able to tell.
>>
>>31975601
0, I don't have any carpet, just wood floors.
>>
I really wanted to cry after the third time.
>>
>>31975601

Never completely lost one but there has been a lot of furious swearing and cold sweats as I search for one that rolled off my desk.
>>
I lost a seer plunger in the A/C filter once. I was working on the bolt for a Stevens 87 and using a little handmade tool to depress them and remove the seer- it shot out and richoceted, and i jumped up to find it.

My wife walked in asking what i was doing and fell on the couch screaming.

I turned around and the tool i had made with a bobby pin was sticking out of the bottom of her foot. It took me a second to register what to do, then i grabbed her ankle as she was kicking her feet and squirming, and yanked it out.

It had gone all the way through. It only bled a tiny bit, and stopped.

I have the coolest wife in the world. She just laughed it off and helped me find the plunger.
>>
>>31975601
I flung lost both the small ones on my basement floor when building my rifle. The grip one flung, and the rear one rolled of table. Found them though, after a bit of looking. twas fucking annoying.
>>
What is this part so I can be wary of it?
>>
Not once. Use a clevis pin to hold the front pin detent in place while you seat the pin, and you'll never lose one again.
>>
>>31975601
I had close calls on two builds and bought a bunch of spare springs just in case, but I found that assembling an AR in the bathtub with the shower curtain closed helps.
>>
didnt loose that but lost my safety detent. ended up making a rough replacement out of a nail. it works but its stiff as fuck now.
>>
>>31976235
probably chewing up your safety too.

they are brass for better lubricity (wear characteristic) I'm guessing
>>
>>31975601
Never but I have had several panics over springs launching across the room
>>
>>31975601
Not sure. But I managed to find all of them even if it did take an hour of digging through the carpet with my fingers.

I swear apartments only have carpets so they have an excuse to keep your security deposit when you move out.
>>
>>31975601
None. I dropped plenty of them, but the only thing I have lost are detent springs.

I specifically ordered a batch of replacement springs and detents just to have a backup.

>>31976223
It's the nub that keeps your takedown pins in an AR-15 from sliding out.
>>
>>31975601
Lost one, ordered like 20 more just to spite myself.
>>
i thought it was a continer for a cyanidecapsual
>>
I built my lower while extremely drunk and lost a pin but after a half hour of searching the surrounding carpet I found it
>>
>>31975601
A pin for a pin and tumbler lock? Yeah I've lost my fair share
>>
>>31976227

don't even need that. use pliers to get it mostly in postion, use a bent paper clip to hold it in deep while you slide the takedown pin through.

also, a paperclip is the perfect size to guide the roll pin through the bolt catch hole, because that fucking thing was annoying as hell.
>>
What's that?
>>
>>31976327
>It's the nub that keeps your takedown pins in an AR-15 from sliding out.

Only the front takedown pin tho.. I put together my first AR lower the other day and got it in the first try. Y'all suck
>>
>>31976231
You sir are /K/ as fuck.
>>
>>31975719
Marry her again
>>
>>31976231

I thought I was the only one!

Pro tip: cover the drain with both a drain cover and a towel
>>
I've lost detent in my garage. After 5 minutes of looking gave up and looked up my local Gun Smith. Cost me a dollar for a new one. Expensive as fuck for a tiny piece of metal but compared to the days of tearing up my garage worth it.
>>
To be honest after I lost the first one I always grind down a little bit of the spring to keep the pressure light. Never had a problem since.
>>
>>31976691
Reeeeeeee there is one takedown pin, the one in in front is the pivot pin.
>>
>>31976881
I was only using the same nomenclature he was in order to avoid confusion. It's like using "clip" around retards instead of mag
>>
Never lost one of those, but working in the shed on one build, lost the bolt release plunger. Fortunately, I had a random part that was damn near the same, just longer So I cut it down and shaped it with the dremel, and no problems.
>>
>>31975601
>being this irresponsible
>bragging about it online
Do we need a whole thread on this?
>>
>>31977241
>irresponsible

For losing a pin that's under insane spring pressure? Every parts kit I've ever bought comes with 2 because everyone knows it's such a problem. If anyone's being Irresponsible it's the guy namefagging on 4chan
>>
>>31976950
But that's wrong you retard, the rear pin is the take down pin, forward one is the pivot pin.
>>
Lost the trigger spring on my 10/22 a few months back. Never found it.

To make things worse, it happened the same day i had some shit surplus ammo get jammed in my cz52.
>>
>putting in the pivot pin
>detent goes flying
>hear it hit the wall
>bounced onto the hardwood floor behind me
>on hands and knees searching
>it's lost forever
>grab a spare
>finally get pivot pin in place
>function check it
>the fucking thing will hold the pin out but has no positive lockup when I put an upper on it

Now how in the fuck do I replace the decent? A paper clip to hold down the detent then try to pull out the pivot pin?
>>
>>31977309
no shit sherlock

kys m8
>>
I got my first AR15 last week and proceed to build it

I lost one of them so now my build is at a hold

And I think PSA sent my the wrong spring for the mag catch because it sticks every kind of magazine I have won't cause the bolt to catch and the follower to tilt

So I got a new spring and a few detents and a new detent spring

Another week of waiting.
>>
>>31975601

I once shot one out of the lower and it hit the ceiling and came to rest peacefully in my bench next to the parts.

Twice in a row.

The third time I Installed it correctly. I played the lottery that night but didn't win.
>>
File: 20161113_092123.jpg (1MB, 2268x1277px) Image search: [Google]
20161113_092123.jpg
1MB, 2268x1277px
>>31975644
Really?
Non US ar15 owner here and getting the lower sorted is a total slut.
I'm not allowed a free standing pistol grip; but I can have a thumbhole or dragunov style stock- this means the stock and pistol grip have to go on at the same time. It get really easy to loose the safety detent spring.
>>
File: time travelling Magneto.jpg (77KB, 1024x683px) Image search: [Google]
time travelling Magneto.jpg
77KB, 1024x683px
>>31977585
That's the most autistic stock/grip I've ever seen.
>>
>>31977413
>Now how in the fuck do I replace the decent? A paper clip to hold down the detent then try to pull out the pivot pin?
Yes, this exactly. It's almost as big a bitch to take off as put on though.
>>
>>31976540
Decided to work on my 2nd lower while quite drunk too. Always wear goggles for this.
I forgot I had a tool for the bolt catch beyond just a tap and only used one layer of painters tape...

So any way to do repair paibt on a cerakoted fde lower? Or just dab on spray paint and hope for the best?
>>
File: Airsoft_pellets.jpg (48KB, 645x648px) Image search: [Google]
Airsoft_pellets.jpg
48KB, 645x648px
>>31975601
Nope, but I lost some of these in the carpet, and every so often I'll find them again with the vacuum cleaner.
The fucker rattles like mad up in the roller then shoots out because it's a fucking asshole and wont go in the bag, only to shoot across the room, ricochet off some shit, and then get lost in the carpet again.
>>
>>31977784
its not hard. pull the pin out all the way. theres a little hole you can stick a paperclip through to depress the detent. once its depressed twist it. after you twist it pull out slowly so spring /dentnt wont fly out
>>
>>31977761
>autistic stock
Heaven you seen a NY compliant AR?
Welcome to NZ firearms laws. I eleven its based on the USC stock by HK.
I could complain, but I thank God everyday because I can own a AR15 and aussies and bongs can't.
>>
>>31975683
>this
>>
>>31975601
I've never lost one because I'm not stupid
>>
I have spent countless hours searching this god forsaken borderline shag carpet searching for them, often times stripping completely naked and wriggling around all over the floors hoping to catch even the slightest hint of metallic touch on my skin.

Only one has ever escaped for good.
>>
>>31979666
>Kiwi ar owner
hahaha, enjoy your fucking 300 dollar mags you cunt

nah seriously though nice rifle, shame you didn't try and go for muh E class
>>
>>31979829
Bro ur misinformed.
I buy 45 dollar mags.
A polymer mag from spearmag costs a bit more for 30rounds.
>>
>>31975601
0. Only put together one AR, though. I read about these plenty while learning, so I found a large clear bag and assembled the lower in that. Didn't have any issues with them flying out, but I guess it was a good precaution
>>
>>31975601
almost lost one, after I found it I completed the lower build with a towel drape over my shoulders and the table to make a tent. Do that as standard procedure now.
>>
>>31975637
2. Carpet is a bitch. One from an ar the other from the rear sight screw of a sw 686 (smaller than detents on ar's).
>>
I have never lost a plunger to my 2'' carpet in all my life.

I promise.

My Ruger Old army has always had a functional trigger.
>>
File: 1468563478131.jpg (97KB, 640x427px) Image search: [Google]
1468563478131.jpg
97KB, 640x427px
>>31978287
>>
I sit in my bathtub with the curtain drawn when I install mine because I lost two when I built my first AR. That sucked, I had to wait a week for midway to get me new ones.
>>
I just finished building my first ar.

The kit only came with one, and i lost it to the couch.

I wish you could just buy like 10 detents instead of another spring kit.
>>
I feel like I must be some kind of wizard because I've never had a problem installing these

>put spring and detent in
>depress with finger and use pivot pin to keep it depressed
>slide in pivot pin

What are you guys doing that makes this difficult?
>>
>>31981559
Here's a video of what I do

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Mue1YK4Q_U0
>>
Several times, but I'm not an idiot do finding them is easy.

>rubberband gfs panty hose over shop vac end
>turn in and sweep surrounding area
>ta-fucking-da

Also useful for finding earrings and stuff.
>>
>>31982072
>gfs panty hose
Riiiiiiiiiight
>>
>>31975601
Assembled 2 Ars so far.
No custom tools
Zero lost
Zero droped

I'm a aerospace assembler/welder, so I would hope i could assemble such an easy gun without dropping shit.
>>
>>31975601
When installing detents put a blanket over yourself
>>
>>31977585
>this thin piece of plastic makes it not a pistol grip
Politicians are truly retarded.
>>
>>31975601
Loki, god of chance, has seen fit to send several 1911 firing pin springs flying from this realm. He laughs as I crawl around with a flashlight, seeking in vain.

I believe that they are caught in the branches of Ygdrassil.
>>
>>31982482
This.
That piece of plastic saves me from registering my firearm.
>>
File: maxresdefault[1].jpg (85KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault[1].jpg
85KB, 1920x1080px
>>31975601
Shot one into the carpet at my feet, it bounced and I spent 25 minutes looking for it, slowly searching outwards in a circle. Someone else walked in barefoot and asked me what I was doing, laughed, then stepped on it and found it on their way out of the opposite side of the room.
>>31977844
Hahaha.
>>
>>31975601
Protip: make a new one with a coathanger, a pair or wire clippers, and a bench grinder. A file would work in a pinch to round one end.
>>
>>31982853

Name/Brand of this style stock?
>>
>>31975601
Searched two hours for a spring that flew through the air once. First time stripping my S&W Mod.13 to clean it.
>>
>>31976739
This.
>>
I accidentally vacuumed up a .22 rimfire one time. Scared the hell out of me and I didn't find the hole in my drywall until about a week later.
>>
>>31984785
22 doesn't work like that, shithead.
>>
>>31984790
Explain that to my fucking drywall shit head.
>>
>>31976950
Educate, don't stoop to their level.
>>
>>31977283
Who sells a parts kit with two?
Thread posts: 75
Thread images: 6

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.