[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Out of curiosity does a duty sized handgun really offer any sort

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 19
Thread images: 4

File: 214123412.jpg (336KB, 1394x754px) Image search: [Google]
214123412.jpg
336KB, 1394x754px
Out of curiosity does a duty sized handgun really offer any sort of advantage over a compact sized handgun?
I mean, considering that you'll rarely use a handgun at ranges exceeding maybe 50 yards at most it doesn't seem like the minor loss in velocity would be all that detrimental.
>>
>>31973178
Compact is easier to conceal. Full size will have less recoil you'll probably be more accurate.
>>
File: IMG_0989.jpg (94KB, 900x600px) Image search: [Google]
IMG_0989.jpg
94KB, 900x600px
>>31973178
Longer sight radius, faster follow up shots, and sometimes more capacity in a flush fit magazine.

Ruger failure related
>>
>>31973178
The higher velocity in longer barrel means you can get more reliable expansion in regular pressure ammo, no +p needed, meaning less recoil and faster follow up
>>
>>31973178
>couple extra bullets
>longer sight radius
>better if you have bigger hands
its just more gun to grab onto and utilize. Not much, but noticeable
>>
>>31973233
True, but almost every modern gun is mechanically more accurate than most human shooters. The more you practice with your gun, the better you will get. There are very few guns out there which are just mechanically inaccurate. Ultimately it's best to buy weapons that you can and will train with often, because the more comfortable and practised you are in shooting them, the more accurate and effective you will be when firing them, especially in defensive situations.
>>
>>31973178
Objectively speaking you're right. The gap in capability between a compact and a full size is fairly low. The biggest downside I see is that compacts are just unpleasant to shoot. If you have both you'll have to force yourself to practice with your carry gun since it's be louder, recoil will be worse, sights will be harder to line up, muzzle flash will be big. Practicing with it is just less fun and you'll do less of it because of that.
>>
>>31973476
He doesn't mean "mechanically" more accurate. He means ergonomically. The muzzle jumps less due to the reduced recoil, and the shooter feels less of a recoil impulse as well. The longer sight length means that it's easier to keep the sights aimed closer to your target. It's not increased accuracy so much as it is increased ease of precision. The longer grip (at least when comparing to a subcompact) also means increased control of the gun in your hand.
>>
>>31973585
This only really matters to shooters who aren't well practised in their pistol. Imagine giving Guy A a tiny little subcompact, and Guy B a full size duty pistol. Then you tell them to go through 2 makes a week for a year. After that year of consistent practice, you could set them side-by-side on the range and have them generate nearly identical groups from typical defensive ranges.

Of course, inexperienced shooters will find full-size handguns easier to use when starting out, but with practice the difference really goes away when we're talking about short range situations.
>>
>>31973623
>Imagine giving Guy A a tiny little subcompact, and Guy B a full size duty pistol. Then you tell them to go through 2 makes a week for a year. After that year of consistent practice, you could set them side-by-side on the range and have them generate nearly identical groups from typical defensive ranges.
What on Earth...? No, that's not true at all. The larger gun will always have the edge.
>>
I wonder what the real difference in acccuracy between a full size and a weighted compact with extended sites might be.
>>
>>31973623
at the end of your hypothetical you could hand guy A a fullsize and hed be better off with it if he ran the same drill
>>
File: 1456132934881.jpg (178KB, 1000x680px) Image search: [Google]
1456132934881.jpg
178KB, 1000x680px
>>31973178
On paper, yes. Though I absolutely give no shits about fullsize guns and prefer compacts.
>>
>>31973726
When we're talking 5 yards or less, it really doesn't matter. Not everyone can or wants to carry a full-size pistol, and worrying about accuracy when you're never going to engage someone more than that far away anyway. It's better to get a small pistol you can easily and comfortably conceal, and practice regularly with it, than to get a larger, harder for you to conceal pistol with the idea that you'll need to engage a threat 20 or more yards away.
>>
>>31973769
There is still a difference, even if most shooters won't notice.
>>
>>31973178

I actually prefer what most would call a sub-compact as my duty gun because if anything so severe comes up that it cannot handle, it is time to try and utilize more gun or possibly the smiting powers of Jesus Christ.
>>
File: 1477553147504.png (102KB, 300x256px) Image search: [Google]
1477553147504.png
102KB, 300x256px
>>31973800
>because if anything so severe comes up that it cannot handle, it is time to try and utilize more gun or possibly the smiting powers of Jesus Christ.
nigga, wtf you smoking tho
>>
>>31973946

Perfectly comprehensible typing mote my drunk ass.
>>
>>31973178
capacity is usually higher
Thread posts: 19
Thread images: 4

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.