[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Do you believe there will ever be another weapon built as simple

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 29
Thread images: 8

File: buzz6.jpg (9KB, 400x238px) Image search: [Google]
buzz6.jpg
9KB, 400x238px
Do you believe there will ever be another weapon built as simple as something like a grease gun or Sten?

As time moves on, guns seem to get more and more complex. Do you ever see a point where military firearm technology will make a turn and we'll see a return of very basic weapon systems or are weapons destined to get more and more complex?

Discuss.
>>
File: based.jpg (3MB, 4292x2844px) Image search: [Google]
based.jpg
3MB, 4292x2844px
only if there's another stalingrad, as far as the military industrial complex goes

3D printed/hardware store sourced guns manufactured in non-permissive environments, however....
>>
File: 410.jpg (153KB, 1600x811px) Image search: [Google]
410.jpg
153KB, 1600x811px
>>31972391
Unless you're talking about automatics only, there's been plenty of much simpler firearms throughout the history.

A basic pipe-shotgun can be literally built with two pipes and a nail.
>>
>>31972583
I understand that, but I'm talking about military weapons. You can build a gun out of almost anything with enough time. I'm talking exclusively about highly simplistic weapons for the military only.
>>
You'll see the basic firearm like a STEN, just with more advanced materials & manufacturing improvements.
>>
>>31972391
Interesting question anon.

If there is another large industrial war where keeping up production of weapons is more important than having the best quality maybe we'll sten-looking delayed blowback rifles in 5.56 or straight blowback mac 10 style PDWs in 5.7x28.
>>
You would have to have a situation that was pretty dire for this.
Consider the number of AR's and AK's floating around the world and that's not counting other stuff.
Only way I could see it is if you had to arm an entire nation or region cheap.
Probably would just get AK's off the black market.
>>
>>31973428
You need to arm new conscripts with weapons you can easily supply with ammunition now.

Its a lot more efficient to just produce your own weapons than trying to constantly source batches of dubious quality AKMs and G3s, with no guarantee that the supply will be maintained, and then keep supplying them with ammo and magazines.
>>
If there is a total war that somehow doesn't turn nuclear. where factories are leveled and such. would bolt action rifles make a return as the standard rifle?
>>
>>31973893
No.
>>
>>31973286
>straight blowback mac 10 style PDWs in 5.7x28
oh hello boner where have you been all day?
>>
File: images (85).jpg (13KB, 350x256px) Image search: [Google]
images (85).jpg
13KB, 350x256px
>>31973893
Bolt actions require much more precision and machining than simple open bolt smgs.

>>31973920
It already exists in semi auto (pic related)
>>
>>31972391
A Glock is pretty god damn simple anon.
>>
>>31974023
Not from a manufacturing standpoint.

Simple pistols to manufacture are for example, a hi point. Many pieces are die cast, no need for precise locking surfaces, just some mass, a spring, a barrel and a fire control group
>>
>>31974075
How do you figure they're not simple to manufacture? It's not the 1940's anymore, CNC mills and 3d printers are pretty accessible.
>>
>>31974085
I'm not saying it can't be done, but hi points require a lot less time and material than a glock, and less parts need to be precise.
>>
>>31974085
I highly doubt Bubba can control and operate CNC mills and 3d printers efficiently, you still need highly qualified personnel for those.
>>
File: 1401372782792.jpg (45KB, 700x535px) Image search: [Google]
1401372782792.jpg
45KB, 700x535px
I only see it happening if another world war happens and we need really cheap weaponry. Right now almost all militaries favor intermediate cartridges over pistol cartridges. Even as intermediates get smaller and lighter I don't think that micro caliber rifles will get as weak as pistol cartridges, so the guns used will still need something fancier than straight blowback.

I don't think that rifles will get more complex, IMO the designs have been getting simpler compared to earlier automatics, but I don't see them ever reaching WWII subgun simplicity.

But if we DO ever get into another world war and need a shitfuckton of cheap guns there certainly are a lot of options. MAC and TEC-9 style guns are prime candidates. I think the TEC-9's tube recover and plastic lower would make good modern Sten guns - so long as they're fed good magazines and have a little reworking around the pins and the feed ramp
>>
I find the laminating bolt design interesting. Instead of milling the bolt from one piece of metal, it consists of several layers of steel stock. Each layer can be processed with simple hand tools.

Probably just a technique for a home gunsmith.
>>
>>31974196
Thats quite interesting, with enough bolts holding it together it could work
>>
>>31974136
Having used both I can tell you it took an hour of training, most of which was setup, which buttons to push and how to clean them. These things are automated and the only limit on how many a single man could operate at once is setup time. If you automate even that, you essentially don't need anybody. Bubba would in fact be the perfect operator for a CNC machine cranking out the same components day after day for as long as it takes.
>>
with the present state of CNC machining, you can have a fairly accurate and precise gantry router for a few hundred dollars that will cut aluminum and lighter duty steel cutting. Which while i wouldnt use them to make a gun outright, they would be perfect for making jigs and other tooling. I dont foresee any situation short of the end of the modern world entirely that would necessarily require firearms to be made in that fashion
>>
>>31972391

Thing is, when the M3 and Sten were first employed, they needed a lot of weapons quickly. At the current time, the market for weapons is very saturated. There are billions of firearms all over the world. The chance that a need arises for quick and cheaply made firearms is low, the only reason would be local demand by groups without access to "real" firearms. But who would that be? In crisis organized crime would sell "real" firearms to anyone who can pay, even now the black market features everything you could ask for. And though there are shitty gun laws, you can buy a lot almost anywhere.
>>
>>31972391
The thing about the M3, STEN, or PPS is that people were short on SMGs. Nobody is short on assault rifles.

Maybe if we invent laser guns, but are short on laser guns for WW3, then people will create the M300 Grease Blaster
>>
>>31974108
Yeah, do to casting, but as a whole hi points aren't that far from average construction. Polish Wanads are cool as fuck though
>>
>>31974628
That's pretty much kel-tecs problem actually
>>
>>31974196
low-pressure cartridges allow a gun designer much more flexibility. I wonder if this design could be scaled up if it was chambered in something like .577-.450
>>
File: CapturedFromFabBlock314B.jpg (15KB, 450x150px) Image search: [Google]
CapturedFromFabBlock314B.jpg
15KB, 450x150px
As has been previously mentioned in the thread, the Sten and M3 were created because there was a present need (a submachine gun,) infrastructure already suited to the creation and development of things similar to the product needed to serve that need (existing wartime infrastructure,) a pressing time crunch to fill the need as quickly as possible (soldiers who didn’t have a Sten/M3 in situations where they needed one tended to die,) and an extremely large required volume (there were a ton of soldiers who needed the submachine guns.) Also as previously mentioned, on earth, there is currently an astronomical amount of guns worldwide, and in any conflict that is less than multiple generations in length, the odds of gun supplies on earth becoming that depleted are low.
In space, however, it is unlikely that guns would be nearly as prolific. This is mainly because there is always going to be a comparatively low number of ways to enter space and the various habitats we set up in space. If guns are owned, they’re likely to be monopolized by an authority force, whether it be a government or a corporation or whatever. Obviously the authority will vary from hab to hab, but with no extraterrestrial wildlife to hunt for food, and with guns competing with things like reactors and hydroponics farms for space and resources, the arguments we see against them down here will be magnified massively. I’m not saying that making a gun, or even a significant number of guns, requires near as much as a nuclear reactor does in the way of resources, but setting aside infrastructure to use them will. You’ll need targets, lubricants, ammunition, spare parts. If you want an indoor range you’ll need extra scrubbers, enhanced fire suppression systems (or require that all users wear an atmospheric suit sealed up and just vent the room,) etc. As long as earth still holds control over a habitat, civilian firearms aren’t going to be prevalent.
(1/2)
>>
File: InsurrectionistPDW.jpg (60KB, 900x506px) Image search: [Google]
InsurrectionistPDW.jpg
60KB, 900x506px
>>31979258
But if earth loses control, it’ll get interesting. There are multiple applications in space for high-pressure rated piping, and more than a few compounds that can be mixed to create an explosive powder. With the advancement of 3D printing and automated manufacturing methods such as CNC routers, I could see a spaceborne insurgency rapidly forcing into service weapons similar to the Sten and Grease Gun. Made of simple parts, these firearms would be low caliber, and depending on whether you’re in an artificial habitat (like a station, or a spaceship,) either low velocity to avoid puncturing the hole, or high velocity in habitats carved out of asteroids or on planetoid surfaces to compensate for the abundance of cover. Using a strong electromagnet, I could even see direct blowback designs being utilized with hypervelocity microcaliber rounds, with the inertia of the bolt being reinforced by the (pulsed) electromagnet to prevent case head separation.
>TL;DR
>Not on earth.
>Maybe in space, if we ever get population centers that are self-sufficient enough to rebel, it could totally happen.
(2/2)
Thread posts: 29
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.