[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why does /k/ hate this plane? It's almost literally one

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 15
Thread images: 2

File: maxresdefault.jpg (147KB, 2967x1440px) Image search: [Google]
maxresdefault.jpg
147KB, 2967x1440px
Why does /k/ hate this plane? It's almost literally one of the best things we have in the sky, the A-10's modular data bus, pod hardpoints and extensible flight control/fire control electronics allow it’s capabilities to be upgraded relatively simply as new hardware and software becomes available. The A-10C actually has some of the most modern and flexible fire control systems of anything flying with fixed wings and offers significant air-to-air capability with the right mix of pods. It has lots of room for computer and radar equipment, and wires, and it’s relatively simple control systems are easily integrated and upgraded with new tech. Look to target, off axis/beyond horizon fire control, extensive ECM and more have been planned and/or tested on the platform. If they spent 1/4 the cost of an F-35 on updates to the electronics of an A-10 the advantages of the F-35's speed start to fade fast. The A-10 begins to become a computer-targeting-enhanced, ballet-dancing munitions dump, waiting to unleash 12 different kinds of death from it’s weapons systems and cloaking itself in a fog of countermeasures so dense visual engagement starts to seem like the only option. The A-10 is NOT fast, it’s true, but it is also *NOT* to be fucked with.
>>
>>31969817
It has tons of weight dedicated to an impressive but dated and inefficient cannon. It also has tons of weight dedicated to surviving hits that everyone else is focusing on avoiding. AAA can't even reach the plane at the altitudes it now engages from, and all that titanium isn't going to function against missiles the size of telephone poles the way it did against 23mm ground fire.

Tl;Dr it was optimized to fight a completely different kind of war, and is optimized to be used in a way that is no longer safe, effective, or neccessary. All its modern success is achieved in spite of this, not due to it.
>>
File: Bait Thinking.png (27KB, 527x409px) Image search: [Google]
Bait Thinking.png
27KB, 527x409px
This is bait right?
>>
Why survive a hit when you can avoid it?
>>
>>31969817

The problem with the A-10 is that it's inadequate for coping with any sort of modern air defence. When all you want to do is spunk a few thousand dollars' worth of lead into a hillside then yeah it can waste money with the best of the boondoggles. When confronting any AA more sophisticated than a rusty AK47 though it falls to pieces.
>>
>>31969924
It's so obviously bait, that I'm wondering whether or not your post is bait too...
>>
>>31969817
Because its shit.

It has a cool but impractical gun.

And when it comes to dropping JDAMs and mavericks any plane can do it.
>>
Because 30mm can't kill tanks, and low and slow is a death sentence if the enemy has anything approaching good SHORAD.
>>
>>31970026
Well, to be fair, there's a bunch of fanboys and such who only know about the A-10 and what makes it cool, but nothing else. I'd prefer to give the benefit of the doubt and try to keep some of my faith in humanity in the process. Emphasis on try. It's really hard these days.
>>
>>31970001

Since it is used in combat against opponents without any anti-air defense whatsoever, I think that is a moot point.
>>
>>31970178
Which you cannot always guarantee with the proliferation of cheap Russian SAMS
>>
>>31970178
MANPADS have proliferated. No such defenseless enemies exist.
>>
>>31970209
Don't forget MANPADs.
>>
>>31969817
>Why does /k/ hate this plane?

/k/ literally knows nothing about the A-10, air combat, the history of aerial warfare, or anything about aviation in general.
>>
>>31970228
Sort and sift through the bullshit and the fuddlore, and you'd be surprised at some of the people who post here. Those few people who in the know are always nice to have come along.
Thread posts: 15
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.