[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

So was a knife the equivalent of a concealed carry hand gun in

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 32
Thread images: 8

File: mhm.gif (129KB, 413x620px) Image search: [Google]
mhm.gif
129KB, 413x620px
So was a knife the equivalent of a concealed carry hand gun in ye olden times? Was carrying a long sword basically the autistic equivalent of open carrying an AR?
>>
>>31956275
No. The equivalent of any carry was a sword. A knife is pretty fucking worthless for self defence.
>>
>>31956275
A knife was the equivalent of modern people carrying a knife.

Apart from that, >>31956284 is correct.
>>
>tfw open carrying guns will never look cool like carrying swords does
>tfw in 500 years open carrying plasma blasters will never look cool like carrying swords does
>>
>>31956289
/v/ would like to have a word with you. Lots of vidya characters carry rifles at their hip.
>>
>>31956302
Carrying it at your hip doesn't make it not look autismal.
>>
>>31956302
We need to design a gun around this idea, like a short and light carbine rifle with a simple stock, gonna draw one up, thinking it would be like a sub 2000 but with a tube mag
>>
>>31956323
Why not a submachinegun?
>>
Depends on the knife.

literally everyone carried a knife for use as a tool and to eat.
But yes, Most places had legislation against carrying swords in town so a knife was their best means of defense.

Outside of town, people who could afford them carried swords.
>>
>>31956331
Yea i started drawing them up and concluded that you would have to clip it on and like a grease gun with a belt attatchment seems like the dopest shit ever, so thats my idea
>>
File: AC4_Edward_Kenway's_Robes.png (966KB, 658x699px) Image search: [Google]
AC4_Edward_Kenway's_Robes.png
966KB, 658x699px
>>31956289
>implying

>inb4 vidya gaem
it gets the point across.
>>
File: tumblr_msmr6d1Byh1qmwtm0o1_1280.jpg (340KB, 1280x999px) Image search: [Google]
tumblr_msmr6d1Byh1qmwtm0o1_1280.jpg
340KB, 1280x999px
>>31956289
>>
>>31956349
gonna live out my Max Payne fantasy now
>>
>>31956284
>>31956288
To be fair there were vast differences in dimensions and what constituted a "carry that wouldn't get you weird looks" varied across time, place, culture, and social standing.

The seax and dirk are two examples of blades somewhere in-between a knife/dagger and a full-on sword. Early modern Europe usually distinguished between a rapier that a gentleman might carry for duels and self-defence, versus the longer and broader-bladed sidesword.

In some regimes, like Tokugawa-era Japan, the shogunate instituted sumptuary laws restricting the carry of swords to specific social classes (those who had the privilege to carry swords often had to give up their lands; allowing the Shogunate to break up power).

Enforcement officials or different types of peace officers sometimes might also have carried or worn something different, like armour.
>>
>>31956401
>Enforcement officials or different types of peace officers sometimes might also have carried or worn something different, like armour.
law enforcement almost universally throughout history carry large clubs of some kind rarely had any armour, and spears and leather armour if they knew they had a fight coming
>>
>>31956323
>We need to design a gun around this idea, like a short and light carbine rifle with a simple stock

An SBR?
>>
>>31956289
>be 2450
>open carrying plasma sword and mini bio nuke launcher
>mech cop see's me
>halt citizen
>show multipass
>get ticket for being a white man in a minority preserve
>mech cop is instantly set upon by mutated nigs
>they rip its arms and legs off
>it howls in agony as it struggles to turn off its pain simulators
>casually walk away as mutant tray2000 and shayquandisha2000 grunt and point at me
>such is life on Titan
>>
>>31956673
*citation needed*
>>
>>31956688
name a historical law enforcement group without clubs
>>
>>31956673
Cops also had Sabers for riot duty a good while between the mid 1700s and the early 1900s.

Hell, Sweden had Sabers in use until 1965 and Japan didn't phase them out until America forced em to when they modernized em.
>>
>>31956776
weren't riot sabres strong but dull?
>>
File: Kniggaaaa.png (282KB, 375x582px) Image search: [Google]
Kniggaaaa.png
282KB, 375x582px
>>31956275
>this will never be acceptable attire
Why even live?
>>
>>31957111
i actually don't know. i never see much about em. i just know they existed.
>>
>>31956302
>>31956311
>>31956323
>>31956331
>>31956338

Here's something similar fellas

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PJ5ZeuXwpYY
>>
File: helfigur.jpg (278KB, 1043x725px) Image search: [Google]
helfigur.jpg
278KB, 1043x725px
>>31957111
The police sabres I've seen have seemed like pretty standard infantry sabres. Of course, with those being meant for the battlefield, "strong" is probably less of a feature and more of a very basic requirement.

The one possible police sabre I own (pic) may never have been sharpened (the edge is well past merely dull), though that is in line with military sabres of the time (they would have been sharpened by the regimental armourers when needed, and as Sweden has been at peace since the earl y19th century...), and may be a sign that the sabre was for a militia group rather than police.

At least back in the 19th century I strongly doubt many police forces would have gone for dull sabres in a riot situation. As long as they weren't using grapeshot...
>>
File: 1475818989069.jpg (18KB, 236x252px) Image search: [Google]
1475818989069.jpg
18KB, 236x252px
>>31957158
I honestly wish i had a KM button or bat signal. you're never around when i need you, you fuck.
>>
>>31957158
I know cavalry sabre weren't always sharpened much or at all because it was unnecessary from a galloping horse at least in the american civil war but cavalry then also had carbines so the sword was only for massed charges
>>
File: suc352px.jpg (25KB, 800x303px) Image search: [Google]
suc352px.jpg
25KB, 800x303px
>>31958511
Not quite what I was talking about. The cases I'm talking about was rather that swords were left entirely unsharpened in peacetime to reduce accidents and the maintenance needs (no re-honing if there's no edge).

Should war seem likely these were to be sharpened up to a fully sharp edge. It's pretty common to find Swedish cavalry sabres m/1893 with a crudely ground on edge (rough grind marks, harsh secondary bevel, meandering around) where such appears to have been done either in quite a bit of hurry or by people who didn't really know what they were doing. My guesses is the Norwegian independence or WW1.

Nor for cavalry sabres in general they should benefit greatly from a properly sharpened edge. Perhaps it isn't strictly necessary in a cavalry shock to ride by against infantry, but even then it should help ensure significantly more severe wounds, and as devastating as the impacts may be evens such a scenario can hardly leave a casualty for every hit. And a massed charge can turn into a general furball of a melee, being prepared for it is probably for the best.

I have heard period complaints though about troopers not bothering to keep their swords properly honed, and at times making things even worse by (mis)using them for various camp tasks. To me this seems far more likely an explanation for dull swords when fighting was likely than any officially approved policy. (Then again, perhaps someone will now wave around such a policy, from the US civil war or elsewhere. There's certainly a degree of guesswork here on my part.)
>>
>>31956335
I blame that's why the Messer swords were made. So citizens in Germany could get around sword legislation. I could be wrong though.
>>
>>31956673
"Leather armor"
>>
>>31958691
Think*
>>
File: 1471713679572.png (163KB, 720x720px) Image search: [Google]
1471713679572.png
163KB, 720x720px
>>31958691
From what I've heard from places that seem trustworthy, the messer wasn't there to dodge sword carrying laws. Trying such a trick would probably just be inviting the magistrate to go draconian on your ass, even compared to the usual torture-and-mutilation standards of the period.

Instead, it's a matter of the knife makers rounding monopolies on sword manufacture. With their own guild organisation behind them, they stood a much better chance in court against any complaint form the cutlers than someone on the lower rungs of society trying to pull a fast one on city laws (a free burger generally being not just free to arm himself, but encouraged and expected to).

This fits with the very strong guild system of Germany. Elsewhere we appear to see less of the guild monopolies, but we can still find weapon laws. That we get the messer in German regions and not really elsewhere suggests that it's the guild rules that are behind it, not general weapon laws.

The styling of some messers also suggest that they were meant for customers near or in the nobility (and there's one we know was made for Emperor Maximilian). Not in itself conclusive proof as virtue born of necessity can become fashion elsewhere, but it's a suggestion.
Thread posts: 32
Thread images: 8

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.