[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Gonna get myself a pistol caliber home defense carbine, /k/.

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 36
Thread images: 5

File: 1475159167264.jpg (95KB, 800x600px) Image search: [Google]
1475159167264.jpg
95KB, 800x600px
Gonna get myself a pistol caliber home defense carbine, /k/.

My question is, does it make more sense to go for a Beretta CX4 Storm or a PS90?

I'm thinking on a PCC rather than something like an AR carbine because I live in a condo, so space is pretty tight and I'm worried about overpenetration. Also figure a PCC will destroy my hearing less if I have to use it indoors.
>>
5.7 will penetrate less walls than 9mm
>>
File: sad.jpg (49KB, 583x381px) Image search: [Google]
sad.jpg
49KB, 583x381px
>>31950610
>I'm worried about overpenetration
>picks a PCC over an AR
>>
>>31950610
get a 9mm AR
>>
>>31950652
Never claimed to be an expert here, care to lay on some knowledge?

>>31950680
Why a 9mm AR over something like the Storm? The Storm is more compact to begin with and the mag-in-grip layout allows a shorter OAL compared to an AR.

>>31950630
Huh. I thought 5.7 was memed to have good penetration?
>>
File: 20151224_102650.jpg (522KB, 1920x1080px) Image search: [Google]
20151224_102650.jpg
522KB, 1920x1080px
>>31950712
>Why a 9mm AR over something like the Storm? The Storm is more compact to begin with and the mag-in-grip layout allows a shorter OAL compared to an AR.
if you say so
>>
Kriss 10mm
>>
>>31950724
That's a sweet little setup, but wouldn't it require an NFA stamp where the storm doesn't?
>>
>>31950712
>Never claimed to be an expert here, care to lay on some knowledge?

Common service pistol calibers have more barrier penetration than almost every 5.56 load (excluding these specifically designed to penetrate through barriers).
>>
>>31950770
and the one in your pic doesn't ?
>>
>>31950770
>where the storm doesn't

The one in your pic does.
>>
>>31950739
Umph
Yuuuus
I want a mp5 clone in 10mm SO BAD
>>
>>31950781
>>31950784

That's just the first PCC picture I had in my collection, I saved it from somewhere else on /k/

>>31950773
Huh. That's even the case when comparing stuff like hollowpoints to 5.56 ball?

I keep hearing people saying 5.56 is worse to shoot indoors, are they talking about from long barrels, or just the fact that it's so much louder?
>>
File: 9milimini.jpg (1MB, 2600x1733px) Image search: [Google]
9milimini.jpg
1MB, 2600x1733px
>>31950724
>>31950770
>>31950781
OP is not building an SBR but the picture does show an SBR Storm. Yeah a 9mm AR SBR is smaller than a Storm. But a Glock SBR is smaller still.

>>31950652
>>31950712
>>31950773
>>31950824
Rifle rounds, shotgun pellets, pistol rounds and even .22LR penetrate similarly. Actually .22 zips through a surprising amount. Visit the Box of Truth or look up youtube videos on drywall penetration some time, it's fascinating how such drastically different projectile power tends not to make much difference. Even 30 cal doesn't do much better.

tl;dr Your entire house is probably no more than 5 walls end-to-end, that's ten sheets of drywall, most projectile will penetrate 12+ sheets. Bullets are definitely leaving your house no matter what you use.
>>
>>31950824
>That's even the case when comparing stuff like hollowpoints to 5.56 ball?

Yes.

>or just the fact that it's so much louder

Mostly this. Carbines aren't hard to handle indoors.
Hell, muhreens have managed just fine clearing buildings with a fixed stock 20" bbl rifle.
>>
>>31950824
so you want a 16" barrel pistol caliber carbine for home defense and not cut it down ?

stick to a pistol mate is my advise
>>
>>31950824
>I keep hearing people saying 5.56 is worse to shoot indoors
Far more concussion with rifle rounds.
Light spitzer boolits tend to destabilize after hitting a barrier unless they're designed not to in the first place, this reduces their ability to penetrate multiple barriers like walls. Heavy pistol rounds are compact and don't deform enough on impact with light barriers to drain their energy enough that they won't penetrate multiple barriers.
>>
>>31950871
that only applies to drywall though
>>
>>31950838
http://how-i-did-it.org/drywall/results.html
>>
>>31950885
>that only applies to drywall though
Which constitutes most barriers in a house.
>>
>>31950903
only in the US friend
>>
>>31950910
And in just how many countries are you gonna be debating whether to use a PCC or short rifle for home defense in?
>>
>>31950923
more than you'd think

but that's beside the point
>>
>>31950941
Allow me to rephrase it then:
If drywall isn't going to be your most likely backstop for a home defense scenario, why are you worried about overpen in the first place?
>>
>>31950963
riccochet

but mostly it's a noise thing for me

your hearing can survive a 9mm out of a 10" barrel
but a .223 ? no fucking way
>>
>>31950982
Well most countries that are not Amerika allow people to buy suppressors over the counter.
>>
>>31951006
if it only were like that
>>
>>31950891
There are always exceptions. Frangible ammo, thin jackets, soft points and bird shot for example. Extreme velocity causes bullets to disintegrate quickly when hitting obstacles, as is the case with that 40 grain air-burner. The trade-off is that those 40 grain boolits have shit penetration in gel, which you never want in defensive ammo.

However even in these extreme examples of minimal penetration, they still clear 2 or more walls. If you stood in the center of your house and aimed outward in any direction, do you think that bullet would escape your house? My house is average size and there aren't more than 2 walls between the center and the outside. Any bullet fired anywhere in my house would leave it. I would guess that's true of everyone, most especially apartment dwellers on /k/. So you're giving up penetration on people in exchange for still having bullets escape your house. Sounds like a poor trade off to me.

What I said however is true of nearly all standard loads, weights and cartridges. I do appreciate that the tester at your link set each "wall" apart from one another instead of stacking sheets 6" apart like most testers do.

>>31950982
If you're shooting at brick or cement walls, I wouldn't think ricochet would be a big issue. Bullets love to turn to dust when they hit something hard, though there may be some shrapnel dispersed from the wall itself. I wouldn't make a habit of it, but the huge majority of the bullet's energy is going to dissipate when it hits a brick or cement. The potential for serious injury is very low, and the potential for minor nicks and scratches is moderate. I'd take the chance if my life were in danger.
>>
>>31951037
>The potential for serious injury is very low, and the potential for minor nicks and scratches is moderate. I'd take the chance if my life were in danger.
i have eaten too much shrapnell and riccochet in my time at an underground range to ingore that

it's a mind thing too
>>
Hi point .45 carbine
>>
>>31951054
Yeah, getting stung is no fun, I took a jacket to the face once.

But it's a choice of having a minor pinprick from a whizzing jacket or dying from deadly threat. Should be a no brainer; fire at will.
>>
>>31950610
If you're going big budget get an MP5 turk clone. I love mine and they are lasers. If you're an Ameribro like me make sure to get a Shockwave blade not stock TM, otherwise get them sexy ass HK stocks.
>>
File: great again.jpg (7KB, 261x193px) Image search: [Google]
great again.jpg
7KB, 261x193px
>>31950610
>pistol caliber home defense carbine
>I live in a condo
>I'm worried about overpenetration.

Just get a handgun or shotgun, you puzzle piece.

If you want a small caliber carbine because you think they're cool then get one. Don't try to justify it logically by propping up a scene where a pistol or shotgun have proven to be better for anyway.

Small caliber carbines
>>
>>31951085
>i have no idea what im talking about
>just fire both barrels in the air
>>
Does the CX4 come stock with the ability to mount a suppressor on it? IE, does it have a threaded barrel. Asking for a friend, he wants one pretty bad.
>>
Good luck finding a Storm, guy.
Thread posts: 36
Thread images: 5

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.