[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

Why do military rifles have long handguards and their sporterized

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 11
Thread images: 1

File: DSCN2552.jpg (18KB, 480x151px) Image search: [Google]
DSCN2552.jpg
18KB, 480x151px
Why do military rifles have long handguards and their sporterized versions shorter? Does it have to do something with the bayonet-attachment?
>>
>>31940288
I don't know
>>
>>31940288
Cuz Bubba will shear the end off an Enfield's handguard because he thinks it'll make it a better hunting rifle.

Who can fathom what on in his head?
>>
>>31940288
bayonet was part of it
the rest is to prevent you from touching the barrel
if you go hunting you shoot like 1-3 rounds if you accidentally touch exposed metal its fine
shoot a mosin 20-40 times touch any of the barrel and you feel the burn
put like 80 rounds through it quickly and its too hot to touch even with the wood
>>
>>31940344
Thanks anon. My other guess was, that it makes the gun somewhat lighter
>>
>>31940344
this
>>
I'd also guess weight. A hunting rifle needs to be light and handy...part of the way to do that is to lose weight hanging out on the barrel end.
>>
>former Cabela’s employee
>saw beautiful rifles sporterized and ruined
>bubba demands a premium price when selling it
>thinks cutting it up and welding a rail to it is an upgrade
Oh the atrocities I have seen.
>>
>>31940389
This too
>>
>>31940697
Tell us your stories anon, we need to hear them
>>
>>31940288
Handguards do 3 things. They first protect the barrel slightly, but they also prevent barrel mirage knocking your slight picture off. Think of a road on a hot day. But really, the most important reason is so you don't burn your hand, especially when bayonet fighting. It didn't matter that much during black powder days as you only fired a few shots before the barrel was fouled up.
Thread posts: 11
Thread images: 1

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.