[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y ] [Search | Free Show | Home]

My fellow /k/omrades I need your advice... I've just picked

This is a blue board which means that it's for everybody (Safe For Work content only). If you see any adult content, please report it.

Thread replies: 21
Thread images: 2

File: image.jpg (22KB, 562x368px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
22KB, 562x368px
My fellow /k/omrades I need your advice...

I've just picked up an overseas contract which my employer has specified that the majority of their employees carry a handgun while on duty. They will provide firearms training over where I'll be based and will provide a firearm form an approved list as well as mags, ammo and a suitable holster for my everyday environment.

I'm being given the option of carrying the following to pick from: Beretta 92, Glock 17 or SIG P226.

Which would /k/ recommend? I've shot the P226 a little while in the reserves in my country as it's our service pistol but otherwise I have no handgun experience as I only own bolt guns a shotgun. My job I'm starting is a first officer role on cargo aircraft based in the Middle East, have any komrades had experience carrying while flying in the civilian sector? What sort of holster set up would be recommended?
>>
>>31936835
What the fuck kind of job are you taking where you have to carry regularly? That's some intense shit man.

Try all 3 and pick the one you're most comfortable with.
>>
>>31936835
Nobody's going to give a shit till you tell us what the job is.

Spill it.
>>
>>31936841
Think it's mostly to give flight crews a chance to escape if shit goes south with the locals when you're on the ground away from base getting turned around on the ramp. Have a mate flying there already who hasn't needed to use his side arm so far so that's positive I guess. Hopefully having a go with all three is an option, that'd be the best seeing as I'm not especially clued up on handguns
>>
>>31936856
This
>>
>>31936856
First officer on cargo aircraft, except instead of dropping cargo we actually land and manually offload. From my understanding some of the places this outfit flies are conflict zones but the danger pay is pretty bloody good compared to regional airlines
>>
>>31936835
So are you from NZ or Portugal?
>>
File: image.jpg (30KB, 243x294px) Image search: [Google]
image.jpg
30KB, 243x294px
>>31936873
Land of the Long White Cloud mate, well played
>>
>>31936835
by the suind of it you wont be in a whole lot of danger so prob not going for your gun a lot. Carry the Glock. Its a brick of a gun, but its super simple, and can be stored for ling periods of time without needing maintenece befkre shooting.
>>
>>31936888
You'd hope not but there's probably a reason why they issue flight crews with them and provide firearms training, the Glock does seem to have a good rep all around. Isn't the 17 quite big compared to the other two? But the way the company implied it as well as what I've heard from guys flying there already it seems like they had their sidearm on them at all times when on duty
>>
>>31936875
Noice m8.

Get a P226. You're already familiar with it and it's a damn good gun.

Also: tell me about firearms laws, taxes, and land prices in NZ.

I'm an American with an Australian citizen father. How hard would it be for me to move to NZ, buy a nice bit of land, and live a quiet life with a few guns and be left the fuck alone?
>>
>>31936913
Sort of familiar at least, have put maybe fiver or so mags through a P226 but that's more than I can say I know about the Beretta or Glock. I know the P226 is supposed to be heavier than the other two but functionality and comfort would be the big priorities I reckon.

Our fun laws are sort of ok-ish, they're nowhere near as good as the states but not as fucked as Aussie. You do need a firearms license to legally own guns and you have to have them locked in a safe separate from ammo, but other than that there isn't much you can't get your hands on. Semi Autos are limited to eight round mags but if you get an E-Cat license then you can have 30 rounders but it's a ball ache to get your E-Cat. Handguns you can get with a C-Cat license I believe but you can only use them at ranges and competitions. Land prices are reasonable so long as you stay away from the main cities but prices are on the rise across the board.

We're pretty open as far as immigration goes but if you can claim Aussie citizenship then you instantly get NZ permanent residency so you'd be sweet as by the sound of it
>>
>>31936913
Oh and tax is pretty straight forward really, the more you earn the more you pay but it's bracketed reasonably well from my experience and I'd class myself as somewhere in the middle class
>>
>>31936901
the biggest gun listed here is the Berretta, The G17 is not bad on weight, Ive shot all three. The Sig is a "shooters" gun, as in it feels good to shoot, is accurate and of quality design. The Glock is a work horse, beat it, abuse it, it will endure. Designed for people who NEED to carry a gun with minimal traininv
>>
>31937089
>31936888
>easy to maintain with minimal cleaning
>will take abuse
>(comparatively) dirt cheap

I get your arguments, but kiwi pilot anon likes guns, knows how to maintain them because it's been beaten into him as part of training, and is familiar with the P226.

So I'll stick with my recommendation that he go for the shooter's gun he knows. There's also this factor: as a NZer, he can't realistically, cheaply, or easily own a handgun in day to day life. His workhorse sidearm isn't something he doesn't give a fuck about: this will be an exotic experience in the subsaharan or MENA (I'd assume?) that will be a cool memory for him to cherish forever, not a rent a cop job working night shift at a suburban bank.
>>
>>31937130
what the fuck. Why did my post try to quote its replies as ">" instead of ">>"

>>31937089
>>31936888
>>
>>31937130
all valid points. Im just thinking the gun will spend the majority of its time with him in a holster, so the mags will always be compressed. Plus in the ME the dust seems to find guns to stick to and get into.
If Im shooting every day: SIG
Carry and not likely to shoot, but want it to work no matter what: GLOCK

aaand now we are beating a dead horse. So long as OP doesnt pick the beretta he chose correctly,
>>
>>31936835
>I'm being given the option of carrying the following to pick from: Beretta 92, Glock 17 or SIG P226.

The Glock 17 seems to be the lightest of the three. That alone is a strong argument for the Glock 17. You will get sick of carrying that thing around after awhile. It also has the highest Bullet/weight ratio of the three. The Glock is the most efficient weapon of your choices. Unless you have some strong anti-Glock bias the Glock seems like the way to go.

Also, you'll get the matched set stats buff for your grenades. +5 to explosives, I think.
>>
>>31937176
>>31937130

OP back again, definitely some valid points being put out there which is much appreciated, many thanks /k/omrades. I've just been told as part of my induction, the firearms training includes firing all three options and you make your choice after using them all which makes sense. Probably a good idea still to get some insight into which is the more popular choice among shooters though, seems like it's down to Glock vs SIG?
>>
>>31937176
true stuff m8.

Honestly I'm largely projecting my own unrequited lust towards the P226 and how bored of Glocks I am.

Good talk m8s. This was a genuinely good thread. /k/.
>>
>>31939247
Are you able to change to something else down the track?

Maybe ask the people who already do the job what they like and why.
Thread posts: 21
Thread images: 2

[Boards: 3 / a / aco / adv / an / asp / b / bant / biz / c / can / cgl / ck / cm / co / cock / d / diy / e / fa / fap / fit / fitlit / g / gd / gif / h / hc / his / hm / hr / i / ic / int / jp / k / lgbt / lit / m / mlp / mlpol / mo / mtv / mu / n / news / o / out / outsoc / p / po / pol / qa / qst / r / r9k / s / s4s / sci / soc / sp / spa / t / tg / toy / trash / trv / tv / u / v / vg / vint / vip / vp / vr / w / wg / wsg / wsr / x / y] [Search | Top | Home]

I'm aware that Imgur.com will stop allowing adult images since 15th of May. I'm taking actions to backup as much data as possible.
Read more on this topic here - https://archived.moe/talk/thread/1694/

If you need a post removed click on it's [Report] button and follow the instruction.
DMCA Content Takedown via dmca.com
All images are hosted on imgur.com.
If you like this website please support us by donating with Bitcoins at 16mKtbZiwW52BLkibtCr8jUg2KVUMTxVQ5
All trademarks and copyrights on this page are owned by their respective parties.
Images uploaded are the responsibility of the Poster. Comments are owned by the Poster.
This is a 4chan archive - all of the content originated from that site.
This means that RandomArchive shows their content, archived.
If you need information for a Poster - contact them.